1) Litigation support: write and file petitions, motions, briefs, prehearing statements, prepare valuation disclosures, contact clients to set up appraisals (get appraisal approval, set up inspection times), contact appraisers to retain as experts, preparation of witness and exhibit lists, discovery requests and responses
a. Litigation support will include working cases to the point where routine matters can be outsourced
2) Litigation support system building and improvement: our goal is to outsource all routine matters to a team of attorneys specifically assigned to our firm for property tax appeals. The associate’s job will be to create and refine a system where routine matters can be identified for outsourcing. The associate will also be knowledgeable about each case to conduct quality control review.
3) Research properties on MLS and Costar
4) Appraisal review
5) Hearing appearances: prehearing scheduling conferences, show cause hearings, substantive small claims hearings
6) Prehearing conferences with opposing counsel
7) Settlement preparation: property analysis, market analysis, appraisal review, contact with clients, contact with opposing side if necessary
8) Trial preparation: preparation of direct and cross questions, appraisal review, rebuttal exhibit preparation, case in chief exhibit review and preparation. Associate will serve as second chair on trials.
9) Exploration of expansion into related real property and property tax service matters. Examples include quiet title actions in circuit court for properties obtained through property tax foreclosure or refund actions for levies of grass cutting and property maintenance fees for properties acquired through tax foreclosure.
10) Compliance research and review for product offerings.
11) Research of state law regarding tax appeals and valuation products.