1A Auto Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Westford, MAOctober 17, 2017
Management is your enemy, they will smile while they hold the knives behind their back.

They'll deny you the tools you need to succeed and then get angry at you for not meeting your goals.

Around half of the customer service staff is either quitting, thinking about quitting or transferring, and the fewer CSRs there are, the higher the wait times will be for people calling in, just making it more stressful.
Pros
They'll be out of business soon.
Cons
They still exist
Warehouse Associate/Material Handler/Outbound Lead (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 2, 2017
Typical day of work:
pick pack and ship auto parts/ train lead new associates
Culture: was average
Management: was fair and professional
Hardest part of the job: nothing
Most enjoyable: Working side by side with the superiors to provide a valuable service for others
Pros
Great Benefits and pay
Cons
Mandatory Overtime interfered with home life
Sadly mismanaged
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSAugust 23, 2017
Some Leads and HR treat many temps as if they are children instead of adults. Excellent supervisors and other good employees are "run off" by new management and people who have been promoted to positions they are not qualified for.

Even when you've met the required hours to become an employee, it takes weeks to actually become "official" and all that you are given are excuses. Open door policy is a joke. Unexpected mandatory overtime makes home/work balance difficult. It's no wonder there is constant turnover.
Pros
Location, Free coffee, free lunch once in awhile, some nice people, compensation is average for the industry
Cons
Management, warehouse is not climate controlled, crowded breakrooms, management from corporate and other locations drop in to bark orders and leave.
Poor management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Westford, MAAugust 8, 2017
Managers play favorites and hire/promote their friends who are unprepared and have the wrong mentality for their role in customer service. A certain member of the support team is a pain to deal with and any attempt to say so is met with retaliation, of course they claim it's unrelated but it's your word against theirs and they have all the power.

The CS department management actually held a meeting a while back and tried to excite people with the idea of not giving bonuses to the bottom performers with saying "if they aren't doing as well as you why should they get anything?" The way it is now is there is a formula based on your sales and other metrics that decide your bonus. Now they want to just give bonuses to the top X number of performers and tell the rest they get nothing.

Upper department management is unaware of the problems we face in our day to day operations. We had an issue where if a customer didn't have an email then the order couldn't be placed and their card number was being locked out for fraud. This affects our own personal sales (our bonus) and the company as a whole when asked about this in a meeting we were told they don't know what we are talking about and should ask our direct supervisor. In that same meeting they were talking about system changes and when we had questions they would answer them with "ask your direct supervisor."
One written warning and you get no bonus.

Down time used to be great with unfettered access to the internet but now nonessential sites are being blocked, a few funny pictures between customers is how I would stop myself
  more... from burning out.  less
Pros
Decent starting pay, Parts for cost
Cons
poor management, favoritism, in crowds, poor job security
Bad manager choices, horrible hr
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 5, 2017
Amazing environment as far as the warehouse in kansas goes. Absolutely loved my position as a supervisor, until they started making management changes. Unfortunately going from that family feel to complete corporate not caring about the employees at all. HR is absolutely clueless and you think they relate to the employees, but know first hand that is not the case at all. Honestly do yourself a favor and go elsewhere the grass is definitely greener the turn over is extremely high for a reason and the amount of hours they ask (make) you to work is not worth it. Constantly changing management and can not keep a manager for longer then two years at a time.
Pros
Lunches sometimes
Cons
Everything else
1A Auto
1A Auto (Current Employee) –  Westford, MAMay 2, 2017
Decent place to work. Small business mentality with overpaid top management. Wants to be Billion dollar company but is operating like its in the 60's.
Rapidly growing company
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Westford, MAAugust 16, 2016
Company is expanding exponentially. Locations throughout the US, Taiwan and Mexico. Great people - company recently moved from Pepperell to Westford - more than doubled the commute time but worth it - in a really nice building now.
This place is a joke!
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Gardner, KSMarch 16, 2016
Started working there from a temp job agency. I worked my rear off for them. I was working much harder than the other temps (which were new every day, cause none of them would stay) and was still told to I was doing a great job. They would give me task to do and a time limit and I would always complete the jobs earlier than expected. Its real lame to hear "good job!" and "See you tomorrow", simply to get a call the next day from the temp agency saying "my services are no longer required." Every one that works there has a bad attitude, there was zero training. Well there was a little, my trainer had been there a full week and a half (and now he's a trainer lol). So glad I don't work for this lame excuse of a company anymore. If you do get a job here, don't exceed expectations and make them look bad, cause you will lose your job. If a manager has any inclination to think that you could take their job and do a much better job at it, they will get rid of you! Stay Away!
Pros
Not having to talk to bad managers for most of the day.
Cons
Absolutely everything!!
Great workplce and company
merchant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 12, 2016
Great Company, Great People, Great Concept.
A wonderful place to work and I highly recommend them.
A lot of advancement opportunities there.
Pros
Very Flexible
Cons
WInter
Easy Work-Horrible Management
e-Commerce Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pepperell, MAAugust 27, 2015
I cannot express with polite words how horrible the management is within that company. They always push for advancement but never follow through, or they choose whoever the best friend of the week for whom they promote. Even if you work your tail off, its not recognized. They only want to remind you of your mistakes. Never would I recommend anyone to work there.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Feeling like a prisoner being watched 24/7.
Stable job with inconsistent advancement procedures
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Pepperell MAJuly 21, 2015
A typical day involved fielding 60-70 calls plus 15-45 emails per day depending on volume.
Prior to starting I had zero automotive knowledge and left able to repair many things on my own vehicle.
Management was had a tendency to micro-manage but otherwise was very easy to deal with.
All of the co-workers were excellent - truly looked out for each other.
Difficult customers were the hardest part of the job - being blamed for issues that aren't the company's fault grows tiresome quickly.
Pros
Relaxed work environment, free food often, great coworkers
Cons
Lack of advancement, advancement was heavily dependent on nepotism
Fast paced
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Pepperell, MASeptember 23, 2014
This was a fast-paced position which I was able to keep up with each and every day. It was nonstop from the time I punched in to the time I punched out at the end of the day. Management was very strict but also very rewarding of a job well done. We had our moments of fun but were also very focused on our jobs. The hardest part of the job was working Mondays as online orders piled up over the weekends.
Pros
excellent daily work exercise, good and fun co-workers
Cons
hours changed frequently on a daily / weekly basis
Innovative
Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Pepperell, MAOctober 9, 2012
Growing company, family run transitioning into a global e commerce organization. A lot of great people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 1A Auto. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6