24 Hour Fitness Employee Reviews

Found 1,025 reviews matching the search
Unfair work environment that leaves you wanting
Kids Club Attendant (Current Employee) –  Olympia, WADecember 1, 2016
Management is quick to take advantage of its' employees and force them to provide better services in order to line their own pockets as they are the only ones capable of earning any kind of bonus. They try to create a competitive environment in order to continue boosting their sales numbers.

Before being hired you are told of possibilities of advancement and benefits however you are later told that you only qualify for such if you TRANSFER to another location! Increase in pay is nearly impossible forcing many people to leave the company to search of better work.

Though co-workers can and are usually enjoyable creating good friendships, often personal lives become a distraction causing rumors and dishonesty in the workplace.

I would not recommend this job to anyone who is hoping to establish themselves as independant beings. This job better caters to those who want job experience or pocket cash. The corporation, or perhaps just the individual gyms themselves force people to quit and refuse to provide advancement opportunities.

Had I not been lied to about this job I would have never quit my other job.
Pros
free membership, employee discounts
Cons
no benefits, poor management, no chance of advancement, possible racism
Balancing the past with the future.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 30, 2016
A very process driven organization with a heavy sales emphasis. Individuality has not previously been encouraged unless you are getting great results, but the culture of the former used car saleman is changing as the company tries to foster a retention based model for its employees and members' alike. Striking the balance between the demands of quick returns by investors and taking care if its members is not easy, but 24 is trying to be more experience oriented and connective with its 4 million members. Good work environments, Great friendships and relationships fostered. Very qualified, knowledge based fitness teams working hard to connect members to results.
Pros
Good performance is usually rapidly rewarded
Cons
Tendency to foster jumping from club to club for career advancement
Good stepping stone
Master Trainer (Former Employee) –  Industry, CADecember 5, 2016
Anyone working at 24 Hours fitness knows this is most likely a stepping stone to either a private gym or another career. Very few turn this into a long term career, due to the environment, management structure, and general politics
Pros
Great stepping stone for those entering fitness industry
Cons
Management varies drastically
Great place to start your training career
Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CANovember 28, 2016
This is a great place to start out as a trainer. Growth into management can be hard to get into, its all politics.If you learn from the senior trainers who are successful, you can grow your business fast. Unfortunately, they dont have many of them as turnover is pretty high
Pros
many locations incase you need to relocate
Cons
environment is for the young
I love this job
PERSONAL TRAINER (Former Employee) –  St. Charles, MOOctober 26, 2016
I enjoyed the coworkers I have worked with at various facilitates. The management team is very involved and willing to work to provide advancement within the scope of practice.
Pros
breaks
A Great Place To Work With Fixable Kinks
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COOctober 9, 2016
Typically on a daily basis, the work culture and environment was social where the gym members expressed their thoughts and concerns, and managers/team members cohesively communicated to address all professional matters.
I learned how much personal work and team work it took to generate the expected amount of daily sales.
Management took the time to interact with each employee solo and as a group regularly, as a means of expressing current goals and keeping track of progress of said goals. From my observation I did see management act in unprofessional manners during business hours.
Fellow employees were part of what made 24 hour fitness an enjoyable work place. Management hired employees with a fitness and betterment desire; which resonated with me.
The hardest part of the job was having to reassure concerns were being addressed to members with reoccurring issues. As per job duties, I was to input all member issues into an online program, where then management is to address them.
Pros
great co-workers, access to health products, free membership
Cons
full time pay, emotionally inconsistent management, under-staffed cleaning staff
Great place to start your career in fitness
Fitness Manger III / District Fitness Captain (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXMay 1, 2016
Had a wonderful career with 24 Hour Fitness. Excellent place to start your career in fitness as a personal trainer. Every gym is different and they have very little set policies followed by each gym when it comes to teaching their trainers and on-boarding them effectively. If you have the right manager you can excel quickly. If you are in a position that they do not teach you how to build your business it will take longer but still certainly doable. Pay is good for personal trainers compared to the rest of the industry. Lot of politics once you are into management and they tend to care more about what you say than what your results are. They want people to say the right things and follow exactly what is passed down from upper management rather than produce leaders that want to make things better.
Fun work environment
Kids Club Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 14, 2016
No big issues besides the pay is not that great for the work that you have to do. Typically you were often asked to do front desk customer service if no kids were present. Not the type of job to give you a ton of praise for hard work but overall its pretty simple and chill.
Decent place to work
Asistant Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Lowry, CONovember 7, 2016
Growth within the company is not very achievable and the compensation/pay was worse. Normal daily duties were to run the front desk and clean the bathrooms. The amount of work put in is not nearly as recognized at other places I have worked and the management team mainly focused on sales and number.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Pay
Productive work place that allowed me to expand my mind
Fitness Facility - Assistant Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJanuary 16, 2017
I absolutely loved working at 24 Hour Fitness. Prior getting into the fitness industry, I wasn't so much into fitness or health. After being employed here, I learned a lot aout fitness and that I don't have to be over weight to work out or be considered "unhealthy". I can be skinny and be considered unhealthy. My managers at 24 Hour Fitness became great mentors for me throughout my career path with 24 Hour Fitness. I learned so much about myself that I didn't even know I was capable of. The hardest part of my job was keeping work at work because I would get customers who would text/ call me on days I was off asking about memberships. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing my customers come back to me months later thanking me for helping get into fitness and motivating them to be a better version of themselves from the day before.
Pros
Club meetings were held as events. (EX: picnics, paint-balling, basketball tornaments
Great starter place for a career
Sales Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 17, 2017
I loved my time overall at 24 hour fitness. There were definitely things that I wish were different, but I loved my job there.

The hardest part of my job was seeing someone give up on their fitness goals.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the constant feedback from members about their experience with me and the club in general. It was nice to be appreciated by clients and members because in the sales world, many people have bad reputations.

My coworkers helped me grow from day one. My direct supervisor was big on integrity, which is what I loved most about working with her.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Job security
Friendly atmosphere
Level 3 Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 24, 2016
*Typical day at work was interacting and training clients

*How to approach different clients on different levels

*Management was great, good people

*Co-workers were fun to work with

*The job did not really have a hard part

*The most enjoyable part was working with clients and seeing their expressions when they realized that they could obtain their goals
Pros
Personal contact with clients
Cons
Salary
Friendly Place to work, little room for advancement.
Front Service Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJune 20, 2016
It's a friendly place to work when they have the right management in place, but when they don't, everyone is in a bad mood and it creates a very negative work environment.
Managers and promotions are based on who likes you, not by how hard you work.
Pros
Getting to meet new people everyday
Cons
little room for advancement, rarely a raise in pay
long days and little pay
Fitness Manager/Assistant Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJuly 13, 2016
very sales oriented, sometimes with high levels of pressure and little training. Management was good but little hands on training provided for standardized middle management performance in addition to quantitative results.
Pros
fast paced, fun
Cons
long hours, compensation
Stable and comfirtable work place.
Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WADecember 22, 2016
If you are looking fir something easy and flexible with hours while getting to know new employees and members then 24 hr fitness is a good place.
Pros
Easy to build relationships
Cons
Management, no room for real advancement
Fun, quality of life based place to work. Looking for the best interest of their members
Sales Manager/Assistant GM (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 23, 2016
Never worked for a place that worked on improving management skills more than here.
Never looked at clock to see how much longer I need to be here, everyday was fun helping people.
Most enjoyable part of the job is changing peoples lives.
Pros
Spends a lot on improving management. Good work life balance
Cons
Pay could be more
Very easy job
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXOctober 3, 2016
I worked at 24 hour fitness for a year and i loved it. The gym has always been a big part of my life so the culture was already very familiar to me. The employees were all competent in everything they did, and so was management. The only thing i did not like was management at times being indecisive.
company sitll trying to find itself
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 27, 2016
when a company switches ownership 3 times in a decade, it will understandably have no idea what type of culture it is trying to establish.
Cons
district management and hr
Great work enviroment, good learning experince
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 30, 2016
24 Hour Fitness had to be one of the great work places I had the opportunity to be apart of. Not only did I have a place to help get my health together but also help other achieve they're fitness goals. Management in all departments helped all staff and more importantly members. I still keep in touch with all staff, lots of members, past and present. That had to be one of the best perks going in to see all the happy faces. Ive learnedbeing a Sales Rep how to really communicate with new members and find out why the reason was important for them to start they're fitness journey. Hardest part of the job was to cancel a memberhip and most of the time it was because they were not seeing results or not comfortable. We as a team were able to turn lots of that around by getting them a trainer or getting them into group classes, so they feel for comfortable with equipment, and hit the desired goal which brought them in
Fun workplace
FITNESS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 29, 2016
Great career opportunity in fitness industry. Each individual club has its own personality depending on management. It is imperative for your career to choose a club with strong management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 24 Hour Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.