24 Hour Fitness Employee Reviews in United States

Kids Club Attendant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 17, 2016
Typical day as a kids club attendant was when I would get there 10 min before I would clock in and go inside the secure area for children. I began with disinfecting all the toys cleaning off the desk making sure the displays were put up correctly, then I would set up the computer for check-ins. I learned how to competently communicate with overprotective parents and deal with separation anxiety having children all while being able to keep a calm safe environment. I mainly worked alone but after i was done I would talk with the customer service reps and while working with others or alone I always keep a professional respectable composure. My job was very easy going and fun being that children are my passion I loved my job of babysitting them and keeping them entertained.
Pros
working with children
Cons
short hours
Productive and fun place
Assistant Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Green Valley, NVJuly 7, 2016
A typical day at 24 Hour Fitness involved laughing and smiling. I loved being able to grow with our member base, along with being part of a journey in their health goals.

Learning to be a leader and being able to share my knowledge with others. The hardest part of my job had to have been being able to sell such large amounts of training. I couldn't have the heart to make people pay thousands of dollars on personal training. It wasn't that I didn't believe in our trainers, but it felt wrong to take that from our members.

But, my best memories were just being able to come to work knowing everyone working as a team and pulling and pushing each other to be better and do better. Being a better you
Pros
Free membership, discounts on products
Cons
no healthcare for part time employees, pay was very low
Typical day of work and management
SUMMER KIDS CLUB WORKER (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 19, 2016
A typical work day at 24 hour fitness was never the same everyday. We would get new kids, kids with autism and down syndrome, babies, and many more variety. It was a challenge at times but being that they could only stay for a maximum of 2 hours made it a little easier. I had a close bond with a few of the kids there. It would make me look forward to going to work some days. Management at 24 hour fitness wasn't as organized as you would expect a management team to be.
Pros
Bond with the kids
Cons
split shifts and bad communication
Great team, versatile equipment and great atmosphere
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 22, 2015
this company is a great company for learning and growing in personal training, attractive payment schedule -tiers. There is room for growth and opportunities in management. The company encourages continued education. Employees attend periodically workshops to enhance and generate excellent service.
Great place to start your career in fitness
Fitness Manger III / District Fitness Captain (Former Employee) –  Southlake, TXMay 1, 2016
Had a wonderful career with 24 Hour Fitness. Excellent place to start your career in fitness as a personal trainer. Every gym is different and they have very little set policies followed by each gym when it comes to teaching their trainers and on-boarding them effectively. If you have the right manager you can excel quickly. If you are in a position that they do not teach you how to build your business it will take longer but still certainly doable. Pay is good for personal trainers compared to the rest of the industry. Lot of politics once you are into management and they tend to care more about what you say than what your results are. They want people to say the right things and follow exactly what is passed down from upper management rather than produce leaders that want to make things better.
Great employees, solid work, terrible upper management
Overnight Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 5, 2016
Time and again it was brought to managements attention that there was no product available to sanitize the towels and other equipment in the gym to which they replied constantly "oh well" to me that is not an acceptable way to treat your paying customers. The result of never having the requested product to provide my customers with the necessary sanitary products , and their lack of general care for the customer is what inevitably lead me to leave the company.
Pros
Free Gym membership, Friendly employees, Varying customer types
Cons
Lack of care for the paying customer, lack of care for the general well being and safety of employees
Productive, competitive, and fun environment where lives are changed daily through health and fitness.
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 18, 2015
24 Hour Fitness provides you with knowledge on health and fitness as well as a strong base knowledge on how to sale and up sale. Teamwork is vital in reaching productive goals for your particular "club". The most enjoyable part of the job is when someone walks in for the first time, intimidated and stressed with a Doctors note, you greet them and get them started with their membership and direct them with their fitness and health goals. A few months later you see that person come in, lighter in pounds, intimidation and stress, bringing in a workout partner, with a smile. Its that point when you know you helped potentially save a life. It can be hard when it comes to balancing your work and personal life, however with great management and co-workers a great culture can be created.
Pros
Culture and CORE values
Cons
Compensation and work / life balance
Fun place to work while in college or part time
KIDS' CLUB ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 8, 2016
I worked at 24 Fitness off and on for about two and half years. I began there when I was in college, working in the kids club. In my opinion the pay is not all that great if you are looking for a full time job to survive off of, but if you are looking fir part time it is a decent place to work at. You can come up with your own activities to do with the children. It is more laid back then an classroom environment, so you have more flexibility to do what you want as long as it falls within the company guidelines. One perk is a free membership while you work there. One of the downfalls is that management seems to switch every few months.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Inconsistency with management and pay
Great environment
Service Representative Lead (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAApril 26, 2016
Working at 24 was by far one of my favorite places to work. Dealing with the members day in and day out was amazing, everyone was like minded and looking to grow. A day at work consisted of greeting members, folding towels, selling merchandise, working in the child care part of the gym, member care and satisfaction in the gym. Management was, at times, absent because of how many moving parts the corporate office tried to incorporate. Other than that they did a good job of keeping up with member and employee satisfaction.
Pros
Free gym membership, you meet like minded people, everyone who walks through they gym doors are looking to better themselves
Cons
management at times absent, not as much room for growth
Another Good starter
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAMarch 22, 2016
This location is not the best to work at. management doesn't care too much about their job. Good place to start at hoping they remodel soon. Not the best place if you want to move up gradually. Doesn't like when employees take initiative.
Pros
free membership, discount on items
Cons
club members can be rude most are pretty awesome
Demanding with opportunities to learn of health and fitness
Service Representative/ Child Care/ Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXApril 14, 2016
It was a demanding job with many tasks at hand. As you move up in position, there are a lot of things expected of you, with little increase in pay. Management could have been better to create a better atmosphere for the team. A lot of the culture could have been more positive had there been more respect and communcation through management. The hardest part of the job was having to clean up after gym members that tend to leave bodily messes, and keeping the towels clean.
I was able to learn a lot in customer service and sales, along with managing money, electronic cash register system, and membership information.
Pros
developed long friendships among coworkers
Cons
poor management
Nice startup, potential for advancement, garbage pay
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 9, 2016
If you're a personal trainer, you're paid ~$18 a session and at my location you're lucky to get 6 sessions a week. $18 an hour times 6 is $108 a week. Any non session hours is minimum wage. So good luck paying rent with that.
Other than that, the staff is friendly, management is helpful and communication is great. Just wish they paid the trainers for what they do for the company; which is rake in millions in revenue.
Hospitable Atmosphere
Fitness Manager (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, NYDecember 18, 2015
On a typical day I manage a team of 12 personal trainers in addition to helping retain membership, coach and develop my staff, train clients, assist members at front desk, etc. I change lives daily. I have learned that integrity, passion for what you do and being an example sets the bar. Management is a very visible role. Staff/gym members watch me as they pattern themselves after my example. They depend on my leadership, "smile", hospitality and good nature to influence an enjoyable, homey atmosphere. I have learned a true manager develops leaders not followers. Fitness is a fun field, the people I work with seem to love what they do and love to help people. Like any work environment we get tired in the job but at 24 Hour Fitness we never get tired of the job. The hardest part of my job is accepting that I can not resolve every issue important to my clients and general members. The most enjoyable part is that I get to help transform lives, help people live longer, and look/feel better about themselves. At the end of the day if you don't have your health the rest is pointless.
Easy to promote
Assistant Club Manager (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAMay 29, 2016
Working hard is easy for me. So getting promoted was not hard. Build your relationships, with the staff and even more important the members.
Constantly greet, help guest and prospective members. Set appointments and be on time.

Most managers have trouble with change. The faster you adapt the new policies into action, the faster you will promote.

If you feel like your manager is is no longer investing in your development- its time to go.
Don't wait promote yourself
-start by breaking records (Sales records)
-win the contest
- - let your sales do the speaking
Pros
free membership, good relationships
Cons
retail hours
Engaging and exciting work environment
Fitness Manager / Master Trainer (Current Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAMay 8, 2016
Every day provided a new experience. Working with individuals who are trying to better there lives through fitness is both rewarding and fulfilling personally and professionally.

Working one on one with the Fitness team and Sales team to grow membership and active clients was great.

The hardest part of the job was realizing that everyone you meet is not ready to commit to a change in their personal lifestyle to improve either their health or personal wellness.
Pros
Free gym memebership, decent health benefits and vacation time
Cons
Long work days and constantly changing of support staff
busy but easy work,high quality maintenance expected
Club Attendant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2016
24 is not a hard job and has been nice for the time I have been there but I am ready to grow in a new work environment. I have learned a lot at 24 about customer service and that was actually one of the hard parts. Working at 24 has been easy but also challenging in understanding that appearance says a lot to customers and you must always make sure that people who come into your work place see excellence. It is important to keep up a happy and professional work environment and I can say that if I took nothing else away from my time with 24 it would be that.
Pros
My own work pace
Cons
lack of work hours
Great sale enviroment. Very energetic.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAApril 3, 2016
It is fast paced and a fun environment.I learned new management styles and how to adapt to change constantly. I loved the sales environment and helping people on a dialt basis. Due to knew commission roll out it was hard to keep a good staff.
I get paid to workout, dance, and be surrounded by an energetic, inspiring crowd; I love it.
Zumba Instructor (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAApril 20, 2016
I teach/sub multiple hour long Zumba classes all over Orange County that can reach max capacity of up to 60 people. I try to challenge my students by creating sharp, energetic choreography instead of using simple, minimal steps. My following has grown and grown and inspired me to do more involving my passion of dancing. It's a pretty independent job. I go in and teach on my scheduled time so there's not much interaction with management or co-workers. I love being a dance fitness instructor but it's time to move on and do bigger and better things.
Great Work Culture
Kid's Club Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 25, 2016
Great work culture here! You truly work together as a team and make sure customers are happy and welcomed. Kid's Club members are caring and fun with the kids. They follow policies and procedures according to 24 Hour Fitness. There are many company parties where we can do team building and have fun outside of work!
It was good while it lasted
Club Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 24, 2015
The company was one of the best places to work until the new CEO was appointed. 24 Hour Fitness, under the leadership of the former president, was all about selling with service, treating team members, club members, and guests like GOLD. Unfortunately, the new leadership cares about one thing and one thing only, MEMBERSHIP SALES. There is no emphasis on customer service and total revenue (which is the most important component of any business), but rather membership sales. It's ironic because the club manager bonus plan is based primarily on revenue and profit, with membership sales as a qualifier. However, if you achieve all of your revenue and profit goals, but miss on membership sales, you will be crucified depending on your district manager, but can still get paid a bonus. The bonus plan does not align with the vision of the new CEO. However, I heard that the bonus plan may be changing, again, for 2016.

24 Hour Fitness has now become TSI 2.0 on the east coast. I've spoken to numerous team members, specifically in the North East and the management team has employed an overwhelming amount of former TSI employees (district managers, club managers, sales managers, etc). I don't think that is wise, given how poor TSI has performed as a company in recent years (Also, 24 Hour CEO is the former CEO of TSI). Higher paid team members are being laid off in an effort to increase cash flow. Salaries for new club managers are at least 25% less than current club managers in place.

Expect to work long hours, 6+ days a week even if your Club is over-performing, very little
  more... to no work/life balance, club managers are expected to sell about 50+ memberships a month and receive no commission, etc. Back in the day, you used to get rewarded for over performing by winning contests, gifts etc. However, those days are LOOOOOONG gone. If you are not part of the "boy's club" you WILL NOT be promoted, which can lead to a very toxic work environment.

It was a great company up until very recently. Unfortunately, it has become like every other Fitness Company.
Pros
Team Members, Medical Benefits, Paid time Off if approved, Paid Holidays
Cons
Too much to list

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 24 Hour Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.