24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness United States Employee Reviews

Not worth your time
Membership Counselor (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: free membership, flexible hours
Cons: bad members, boring, management, wasted time
Like a lot of companies that involve sales on a service based product, this place pushes you to the edge. With the changes going on with technology and people, it has mad working with the company extremely difficult as everything is very old school and still on paper, and sometimes absolutely unnecessary when computers have already done the work for you.

Much time is wasted making cold calls to people on a list and expecting 25% of them to come in and purchase, when 95% of those who do buy, are those who were never on the call list to begin with. The pay for a job that also requires you to make the company most of its profits from, is low, and doesnt include commission. At $10.25, I could be working in fast food for $9.00 and have a far less stressful job that pays almost the same, without all the constant nagging from management. If you hit your goal for the day, everything is amazing, if you miss it by even a dollar, then the world is about to end.

The goals set are FAR above what the company actually needs to profit, as attaining at least 95% of a monthly goal, nets management a bonus, while those below them, even if outperforming them(which is VERY common) receive no compensation.

Membership counselors are a quickly dying breed for gyms, and here its no exception. Financially speaking, it would be in the companies best interest to remove all but 1 counselor per club, and allow those interested to enroll on their own with a few available kiosk's. Places like Planet Fitness make enrolling much easier without the feeling of being pushed into doing something you yourself – more... arent too sure about.

The pricing for the services is absolutely ludicrous and can be received elsewhere for half the cost with the same results. The membership prices are not competitive at all, and the training while seemingly looks nice, has never worked, as I personally have not seen anyone receive any physical changes when working with trainers for over a year.

Its EXTREMELY hard to advance within the company, and they base everything purely on numbers, which doesnt work well when everything that gets sold is mostly just by chance, and very little by hard work.

If you want a free gym membership and somewhere to work temporarily, its a good place, but for a life long career, stay very far away. – less
Great Place to Work
Yoga Instructor Part-Time (Current Employee), Hillsboro, ORJanuary 14, 2015
This job offers flexibility, great people, variety of classes and continuing education credits. I like the Peoplesoft automation and workforce management software for ease of subbing and seeing available classes. The GroupX Manager is always helpful and supportive and responds quickly to questions and provides solutions. Club Managers are very polite and supportive of instructors and work well with trying to get clients into classes.
Fun and Great time and management to work for.
Front Desk Team Member (Former Employee), Laguna Hills, CAJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: free member ship
Cons: shot breakes
Great Customer's.
Fitness.
Good.
Fun and a Great team to be arrownd
Standing for long times.
Free member ship
Fun and Relaxing
Service Representative (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 10, 2015
Perfect place to work with no stress for the person that's like a different challange everyday, likes to meet people, and help them them focus on staying fit and in shape.
Great workplace, great environment
Membership Sales Manager (Former Employee), MOJanuary 8, 2015
Work was easy, coworkers were great. Free membership with employment.
Fun Environment-Poor Management
Service Representative & Kids Club Attendant (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: environment
Cons: management, life and work balance, compensation
The location I worked for was a very fun environment, however their management was very poor. Schedules were never set correctly, department heads could not accurately interpret availability therefore causing loss of motivation and overall productivity. The most enjoyable portion of this job was being able to interact with members and positively impact their view on the fitness industry. I did learn how to motivate individuals in their level of commitment to their overall health and well-being.
Energetic, fun and intense aerobics
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee), Mountain View, CAJanuary 2, 2015
Aerobics instructor teaching Turbo kickboxing to 24 hour fitness members who are looking to get fit. This class is from medium to high intensity. The best part about teaching is making people look good and feel great!
Teaching experience
Group X Instructor for Yoga and Pilates (Current Employee), Eastvale, Ca; Chino Hills, Ca; Moreno Valley, CaJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: free membership for my family
Cons: no medical
My teaching experience with 24 Hr Fitness has been a revelation in personal interaction with many different individuals. The members have a very definite view of what they want to experience with each class they take and when they have acquired their desired result they are very revealing in their opinion. My overall experience with the members have been excellent. Many of them have expressed that they find my classes challenging and they appreciate my abilities to take them to the next level in their fitness goal.
Very fun workplace
Front Office Receptionist (Former Employee), Vancouver, WADecember 29, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: no benefits
. Managment was awesome. Co-workers were friendly, professonal, and respectful, had the oppertunity to learn many different things. The most enjoyable part of this job was that it didn't feel like a job, I was always enthused and excited to go to work.
Fun filled environment
Service Representative (Current Employee), Keller, TXDecember 29, 2014
Pros: free membership
Cons: healthcare
I have worked for 24 Hr Fitness for 3 years and I have enjoyed it. From Service Representative to Lead and then to Service Manager, I have enjoyed working for the company. The best part I would have to say about my job is the people I have met along the way, not just co workers but also the connection I have built with my members and also their children.
Good place to start in the fitness industry
Service Representative/Group X Instructor (Current Employee), Houston, TXDecember 25, 2014
Pros: free membership, random tidbits to aide your fitness goals from coworkers, motivation to stay in shape, the kind/fun members
Cons: compensation if you're not in management, dealing with complaints, rude/unkind members
This is my review working at 24 hour fitness:

First off, if this is a side job to your already set career, then GREAT! if you're starting the work force this is a good place to build up your people skills to help you advance later in life on your career path. In an age where we do everything with "social" media, Skype, etc. building some face-to-face people skills is essential and makes you an already valued member to the workforce......anywhere!

Second, if you plan on just doing a service job in this company, with NO thought of moving up, you should really reconsider not making this your set income in life. The pay when you start is lousy on the service end for all the things you have to put up when management isn't around. Now, I'm not trying to scare you off but you have options of going the manager, personal trainer, group fitness, or facility tech route. The thing about that is YOU have to be the one who shows initiative on what you want.

Overall, depending on your gym location and the crowd that comes in. This place can be one of the most fun places you can be at to make friends or to network with different people of all aspects of life.

This job is heavily recommended if you consider yourself an introvert trying to break out of that shell and be just a bit more social. That's what I did.....and now I lead the class!
very nice gym
Service Clerk (Current Employee), Lakewood, WADecember 24, 2014
Pros: free membership
Cons: short breaks
answering calls selling products racking weights and
dealing with members.
I learned to be more flexible and also better communication skills
management is great co workers also
the hardest part of the job is keeping up with member names
being able to be apart of a great team
Bad Employer
Membership Counselor (Former Employee), Richardson, TXDecember 16, 2014
I was supposed to sell gym memberships and personal training packages, but my manager reduced me to simply making cold calls because I have a "nice phone voice" and I can "flirt without getting in trouble." It is $10/hr without commission. On days that I outsold my manager, he told me to go home early. Management ended up moving me to front desk service, and cut my pay from $10/hr to $7.75/hr (while everyone else at the front desk started off with at least $8/hr). I petitioned for a higher wage, and the club manager said that he would get right on it, but after pestering him for 3 months without the problem being rectified, being denied lunch breaks, etc., I resigned. It was difficult to sell memberships sometimes because the facility was literally falling apart and management did little to nothing about it. Many managers did not fulfill their job duties, and many employees came to work under the influence of marijuana. It was nice getting to know people and it feels wonderful to sell training packages and convince difficult customers that a gym membership is a valuable thing. Having said that, the cons greatly outweighed the benefits of working at 24 Hour Fitness.
Great laid back enviroment as well as highly competivite and profomance based
Assistant Membership Manager (Current Employee), The Woodlands, TxDecember 16, 2014
Pros: free membership to all clubs, discounted training
Work day typically started around noon and lasted till 8 or 9 pm depending on the volume of business the day provided in the sole purpose of hitting our daily goals. What I learned most is how to set yourself up for success, and how to overcome obstacles and objections. I enjoyed the environment very much and my team members were always supportive in any capacity. I would say the most difficult part of my position was also the most enjoyable. Making sure my department hit budget every month, and then exceeding monthly expectation.
It is a great environment to be around the relatiosnsips you gain are wonderful.
Personal Trainer (Current Employee), Elk Grove, CADecember 15, 2014
Pros: free membership, flexible schedule
Cons: the only con is being a consistent trainer
Typically you're always around people answering questions, helping achieve goals, and changing lives. I have learned the tendencies of certain members and I have learned how I can effectively help others reach their highest potentials. The management and co-workers make it even more enjoyable to be at work with their support and helpful advice. The hardest part of the job is persuading the member to commit to living a healthier lifestyle under your direction. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the smiles on the members after they have reached their goals.
service rep
Service Representative (Former Employee), Newark, CADecember 13, 2014
Great first job and get to meet a lot of people who like to workout and enjoy healthy lifestyles.
productive and a fun environment to work in
Service Representative (Current Employee), Richmond, CADecember 13, 2014
working at 24hour fitness we provide the best customer service, and keeping the gym well maintained with a healthy and clean environment.
MY FITNESS LIFE
Sales Manager (Former Employee), houston, texasDecember 12, 2014
Pros: free workouts
Cons: salaries
great compay but no room to grow
tour clients call emailing set appts
enroll them on memberships
conduct proper sales tecniques
24 Hour
Service Manager (Former Employee), NebraskaDecember 11, 2014
Cons: no work/life balance
Company that is eager to advance their employees. It's a sales driven environment so you find people doing whatever you can to get a sale.
Fun, energetic enviorment with room for advancement
Fitness Manager (Former Employee), Huntington Beach, CADecember 3, 2014
Pros: free membership, benifits, discounted training
24 Hour is a great company to work for. We are currently growing, looking at opening multiple clubs in 2015.

About 24 Hour Fitness

24 Hour Fitness Worldwide, the world's largest privately owned and operated fitness center chain, began as a one-club operation – Read more

24 Hour Fitness Photos