3M Employee Reviews

Contract Lab Technician
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNFebruary 10, 2017
They want you to do more work than full time employees and expect excellence even though they pay unlivable wages to contracts with no benefits. There are no opportunities for full time work no matter how good you are at your job. Full time employees treat contracts like garbage. Most ignore you and won't even say good morning to you. Your expected to work like a robot and keep your mouth shut. The only good thing about this place is that you don't have to sign a confidentiality statement so you can freely give your knowledge to your next employer.
Pros
3M looks good on resume.
Cons
Low pay and no benefits. No opportunity to get hired as a full time employee.
Productive, fast paced enviornment
Project Lead SAP Performance Testing (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNJanuary 26, 2017
Very fast pace energetic environment. Most of the time typical day was not typical. Things were changing and you have to get things on fly. Friendly culture with lots of emphasis on accountability, with no micro management. Hardest part and also the most enjoyable part was the ever changing priorities. No two days were similar.
Pros
Experience with a large organization which is a world leader in the industry.
3M Company
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Prairie du Chien, WIFebruary 9, 2017
When I get to work, usually we clock in and go straight to the work stations. Every hour you receive 5 minutes of break, which can be taken at any point throughout the workday, usually.
The work team leaders of 3M are very knowledgeable, and are willing to work with you to show you how to get the job done right, which is a big issue people tend to have is learning bad habits from the start.
I'm glad I did this job for a summer for the experience.
The hardest part of the job is standing there for 8 hours doing something that anyone can do, but you find ways to get through it.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie you receive between employee
The Best Place to Work in Ames
Operator/Laborer (Current Employee) –  AmesJanuary 16, 2017
3M is an amazing place to work. The work environment encourages you to enjoy your job and the workload is never stressful. Management makes sure to have one on one teaching and is very good at communicating any frustrations with you. The hardest part can sometimes be finding something to do, if there are too many people on the job. The most enjoyable is that, at no point do you feel so bored because your able to talk to people and move around often while not working on a super stressful "get to work" kinda feeling. Yet everyone is still focused on their jobs despite this.
Pros
Great Management, No Stress, Choose scheduling that meets your needs, easy long breaks, amazing pay.
Cons
Can sometimes get bored if there's not enough to do.
Great Environment & Great Company
Assistant Lead/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 8, 2017
This is a great company with great benefits for anyone who is willing to work in a warehouse environment. It is a very energetic and busy company that is always busy. Never a slow period of time that would put workers behind or laid off, always constant work to be done.
Pros
Free Lunches, Lots of OT, Lots of great team members
Cons
Long hours, Cold Climate/Hot climate, Mandatory OT
I worked here as a temp, although the job lasted a short flew months, I enjoyed working here.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTDecember 8, 2016
I worked for 3M for about 2-3 months before my assume that ended, I seen this job being very promising. But after a only a few months of work , they chose not to keep any of the Temp to Hire Workers.
Pros
The pay was worth the work we did, and the breaks where good.
Cons
There were a mixed amount of different cultures, which slightly segregated the company into packs and groups.
Friendly, down to earth people. Close to home.
Slitter Operator (Current Employee) –  Hutchinson, MN 55350December 9, 2016
A typical day includes a pre-shift meeting review what went on the day before and where the previous crew had left off. Continuing on or starting the next orders produced by each line.

I've learned various minor mechanical tasks dealing with specific machinery, as well as order management and organization.

My coworkers are very easy going, but remain focused and on task while working.

Hardest part about my job is the rotating shifts and not having a day off. Which both stem from poor follow-up by engineering and poor planning by our analyst.

The most enjoyable part about my job is working with people I know and meeting others that are easy going as well.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Have to use vacation to get any sort of time off.
3M is a good place to work.
Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAJanuary 31, 2017
I have learned a lot about manufacturing working here. A typical day is 8 hours long. Many of the employees help each other out, and there is very little animosity in the workplace. It's a very positive space and very laid back.

For the most part, the moral is up, until the end of each quarter when pretty much everyone freaks out because they haven't met their quota yet. Once that starts happening, the stress and competition build. I personally think that this happening forces sales executives to work even harder to meet their goals.

The best part of being with 3M is that you get to meet such great people and everyone there is so good at doing their job. We always learn from each other and give each other constructive criticism when needed.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Difficult to advance in the company
Exciting and rewarding experinces
Customer Account Analyst (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 2, 2016
Both companies offered me career training and comparable advancement opportunities.
I had several mentors in the managerial staff who assisted in obtaining my goals to progress in my positions.

I enjoyed working with others in both a team environment and as an individual project based employee.

I was involved in many different volunteer activities within each company and chaired several Untied Way teams.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Need to relocate
Coater Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Conover, NCDecember 2, 2016
Learned good life skills in the coating field.
Typical day was running a coating machine and performing approximately 12 quality checks through out shift.
I learned a good deal about plastics and film products and zone tensions.
Great teamwork among co workers and supervisors.
hardest part of the job was the heat during the summer reached 130 degrees.
Most enjoyable part was learning new machines.
Pros
good benefits and salary
Cons
heat during summer
Engaging workplace
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Menomonie, WIDecember 21, 2016
3M is an exciting and demanding work environment that gives ample opportunity for advancement and knowledge. 3M is a multinational company that produces products for everyday life as well as some of the most advanced processes in the world. It is a great company to work for and supplies tools that an individual needs to progress and maintain a healthy career.
Pros
Great benifits
productive work environment
VMware Engineer (Former Employee) –  MarylandNovember 27, 2016
3M is a great place to work. The people I worked with are like family. The company is small enough that you truly get to know teammates at different locations.

Great environment as you will quickly notice the synergy between the customers and employee's. The customers are treated like family and you really get to know the clients you work with which is a rarity these days.

The challenge is not having enough foot traffic coming through the doors. You have to be creative to come up with ways of hitting your sales goals. You really need the entire staff to accomplish Branch goals.

They went through a massive lay off recently which is a bummer when you left a company working many years to build a career.
Productive, but hard on family time.
Slitter Operator (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, MNJanuary 20, 2017
3M is a great place to work if you like to work different shifts and overtime. It is very difficult on family life. Poor management in certain areas. The pay and benefits are really good, but that's how they get you to stay. Be prepared to work rotating shifts and overtime. Very difficult for raising a family.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Rotating shifts and management
Productive and educational place to work with many opportunities for advancement
Inventory Control and Certifications (Former Employee) –  Brownwood, TXNovember 16, 2016
Typical day at work was consistent with expectations of job requirements. I learned a variety of job skills ranging from production to management. Co-workers are professional and dependable. Hardest part of the job was the hours on the production end due to the rotating schedules. Most enjoyable part of the job, was the comradery and the pay.
Great company with strong committment to innovation
Global Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CADecember 1, 2016
3M is a world-class company and often rated as one of the best places to work in national surveys. There is a strong spirit of innovation and shared purpose there. The benefits are excellent and there are significant opportunities for career advancement globally.
Pros
Leadership, culture of innovatoin, benefits
Cons
Sometimes slow to change, beaurocratic
Great environment to work
Order Picker (Current Employee) –  Red Wing, MNJanuary 22, 2017
Work place is fast paced and an enjoyable job but the pay doesn't fit the physical demand that is required. The people who work there are great humored and easy to work with. There is a mini convince store in the lunch room that is open to all employees. With free coffee creamer and sugar provided for your use. Cups are available if they are not all gone.
Its a nice and very clean building, had fun working their people their are very friendly
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CANovember 30, 2016
You have lots of opportunity at 3M, its a fast pace environment people their are very friendly, you have the opportunity to get promoted to other positions in the warehouse, like drive other equipment, become a trainer or a supervisor, but what i was doing was picking i would drive a palletjack and would drive to different locations to pick up boxes and scan the box it would ask me how much i needed then i would put labels on the boxes then put the boxes on a pallet then when i was done with that location i would move on to the next.But it's a very nice and clean environment, i had fun working their.
Pros
Sometimes they would give free food
Cons
The breaks where 15 min but in reality you have 10 min breaks and yes you can sign up for Medicare
the co-workers have been enjoyable to work with. Enjoed the chalange of the work
Multicraft Maintenance: (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHJanuary 18, 2017
Management has a very hard time in making timely decisions. Co-worker have been a joy to work with. Very willing to help and share ideas. The hardest part of the job is not having a proactive supervisor and working with a respirator.
Pros
union shop
Cons
under staffed in the maintenance shop
Excellent company to work for. Very established and stable organization.
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Weatherford, OKJanuary 9, 2017
3M gave me the opportunity to really learn the HR function. They provided excellent training and development, and I had the opportunity to work in several geographic locations.
Pros
Very stable company, outstanding training and development provided, opportunity to work in multiple locations
great job
Customer Service Representative/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MAJanuary 24, 2017
Working for 3m was a great job just working with all types of chemicals a few people including myself got sick some died from Cancer which was not proved it was from the chemical but the job became very scary after people started losing lives at the ages of 33 and 39.
Pros
3 day shifts 12 hours a day
Cons
chemaical reaction

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 3M. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval