84 Lumber Company

84 Lumber Company Employee Reviews

We have a grill we can cookout on
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee), Fayetteville, NCMay 21, 2015
Too much vulgar language - the bad 4 letter word flows like a river all day long from manager on down.

Get along with everyone pretty much.

Learned new computer system

Hardest part is keeping busy!!
Developing New while maintaing current account realtionships
Outside Sales (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 21, 2015
Pros: Interacting with Accounts, mix of office and field work
Cons: looking for new challenge
Typical day consists of blueprint takeoffs , putting proposals together both turnkey and material only . Field work learning what competition is successful at and also what their struggles are .

Co-workers are top notch A players

Hardest part is failing or letting a account down

Most rewarding are developing relationships, closing the sale , and recovering from a set back .
Good Place to Work
Warranty Manager (Former Employee), Bessemer, ALMay 10, 2015
Good place to work. Management good, if there was a dislike I had it would have been office co workers were always negative
Good dispatch manager. not a very good store manager
Yard Associate (Current Employee), Murfreesboro, TNApril 30, 2015
Pros: Money
Cons: management, stress, no life
Worked way to late. 6am to sometimes 9pm.
Store manager screams and yells at people, NOT HOW YOU MANAGE PEOPLE!
Do way more work than what you are paid for.
Fun times with my good friend
Yard Worker (Former Employee), Depew, NYApril 13, 2015
Pros: Free doughnuts in the mornings sometimes
Cons: A large amount of labor for minimum wage
Every day we would go into the lumber yard with a list of pickups. In order to get most of the lumber that we needed, we worked forklifts. We used a special banding item to wrap the lumber as directed.

Management and my co-workers were all really nice. My favorite part of the job was that it was with a good friend of mine who lived near by. We were put together to do jobs for a while until we were independent enough to run jobs separately.

The hardest part of the job was that when it rained, you had to finish your load before going inside. I had forgotten my coat one time and got rained on. But I was fine.
A very comfortable place to work at.
Outside Sales Representative- Contracted (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 9, 2015
Cold calling every day while tenured sales people sit in the office watching yahoo.Instead of reaching there potencial they would rather have accounts dropped in there laps.
horrible
Manager Trainee (Former Employee), VirginiaMarch 20, 2015
Pros: work day goes by quick due to business
Cons: lack of management/ethics
hired with the understanding I would need to learn the field (since I'm an IT grad, and not a contractor. Area Manager said he was hiring me because I was a college grad so I could learn the field. Then, I was fired less than 6 months later with my only given reason being that I wasn't familiar enough with the industry, regardless of having passed all tests I had been given to that point.
Good fun Place
Builder (Former Employee), Coal Center, PAMarch 13, 2015
Extremely fun environment! makes it worth the while. when you get a crew going and have fun it makes it all extremely fun. Breaks are all good
Great Company
Data Entry Coordinator/ Assistant (Current Employee), Greenville, SCMarch 2, 2015
I Loved working for this Company. Highly recommended! Company was bought out by Meritage of Arizona.At that time Legendary did a layoff of Greenville employees.
Economic Down Turn
Store Manager (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: Pay Free will
Cons: Long hours
This would have been the dream job if it had not been 2007. Once the housing market crashed this job was terrible for everyone. And if you were at the top of the food chain it was even worse. The company was ok. The upper management in my area was bad the free rein was great so it really didnt matter..
relaxed layed back work environment
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Greenville, SCFebruary 28, 2015
it was a pretty easy job, you did the same thing everyday. pull your materials, load up, drive to the job site, unload, take pictures, and then of to the next job. I enjoyed working on my own and planning out my day. I didn't really enjoy working in the rain and the cold, but all in all it was a fun job.
productive,well balanced fun and professional.
commercial driver (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 27, 2015
First thing inspect truck. The go hang out in office talking to the co workers, joke talk about life. the management was great. Sometimes we had very long hours.the people made it enjoyable.
Not the best
Order Builder (Former Employee), Conroe, TXFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: relaxed work enviroment
Cons: management didn't speak english
It's a really relaxed place. At least where I worked.
They didn't ask for my I-9 till about 6 months after working there so that's about how expendable I was.
No one ever noticed anything you would do. Just work which isn't a bad thing.
First step back in the Lumber World
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Statesville, NCFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: good stepping stone into the industry
Cons: minimumal compensation for the job
This is a Tough company to work for. While I was there I did learn a lot about the industry in several areas of North Carolina while working with them. In Outside Sales working for 84 you have to be very resourceful and capable of doing several different jobs internally as an employee.
very fun place to work plenty of growing opportunities
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Yuma, AZFebruary 15, 2015
working for this company was probably the best experience so far, it provided plenty of knowledge as well as being able to learn and grasp every single point related to this company.
Experience depends on store
Manager Trainee (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCJanuary 28, 2015
Decent compensation, long hours, experience depends on particular store.
positive fun professional work environment
commercial driver (Former Employee), Sac.Ca.January 23, 2015
get there early have some coffee. Then go and inspect the rig I was driving then talk to others and start the day
Fun, relaxed place to work, good group of people
Accounts Receivable Clerk/Sales Coordinator (Current Employee), DouglasvilleJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: fun, relaxed place to work, good group of people
Cons: pay is horrible
Fun, relaxed place to work, good group of people.
Customers are awesome, work is non-stressful.
Management is wonderful.
Great place to learn the complete lumber business.
Inside Lumber Sales (Former Employee), Griffin, GAJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: knowledge of the lumber business
Cons: long hrs
84 gives you the tools to be a success selling lumber no matter where you go. Long Hours, hard work and management could be much better.
A company that keeps you a quick thinker
Commercial Sales Representative (Former Employee), Elma NYDecember 18, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: long days
A typical day at this company consisted of working a 12 hour shift, in an out door environment. Most often going to job sites and doing estimates and working with contractors and business owners.

In the position which I upheld, I did not really interact much with other employees due to doing my work estimates and blueprint reading.

Had daily personal sales goals, which helped to have a high sales point at the end of each month.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be how often I would be out of the store meeting with customer and getting them to come to the store to buy more product for future jobs, thus creating a larger customer base for the company.

1 2 3 4 5

About 84 Lumber Company

84 Lumber Company was founded by Joe Hardy in 1956 in the town of Eighty Four, Pennsylvania, where the original store continues – Read more

84 Lumber Company Salaries