84 Lumber Company Employee Reviews

Hard work for laborers, but significantly easier in managment
Yard Puller (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 23, 2016
The management can absolutely make or break a job, and the higher-ups here care about numbers and nothing else. At it's current state, the entire yard staff is overworked and unsatisfied with the treatment given to them. This is a good job for a paycheck, but any fulfillment beyond that will not be found.
Pros
Consistent schedule
Cons
short lunches, long hours, micromanagment, difficult to get any time off, disrespect from superiors

Comment – October 28, 2016

Have you attempted talking to your front line supervisor? I'm familiar with the folks at that location and I know they care about their people.

Productive learning environment with great people
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSOctober 14, 2016
By far my favorite job ever. Gethe up at 5am and get ready for a full day of work! Grab some job orders from my boss and get to the forklift to go pick the orders. You get to learn a lot about Lumber. You get the Ultimate Rush once you see houses getting built because of the Lumber that you picked.
Pros
Great pay, great people
Cons
If you think the weathers going to make it an easy day to work outside....ur wrong
Ok Place to Work
Co-Manager/Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Moorefield, WVNovember 18, 2016
I'll make this short I been there 9 years and got shown the door do to poor sales performance. Yes the business is about sales. However I was not given the opportunity to stay as a lower employee or a different position. Once show to sales its there way to shove you out. And with only a two day notice I thought that was poor on a company I spent almost a decade with just to get shown the door.
Good working environment
Accounts recievable/payable (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHJuly 30, 2016
Great working environment. Personnel were very friendly and helpful. This job taught me how to handle obtaining payments on past due accounts. The hardest part of this job was dealing with upper management outside the local office. Upper management was untruthful about future of the position. (They went out of business).
The most enjoyable part was the people I worked for in and out of the office.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Less the truthful upper management
The job was great, loved the people and enviornment, there were a lot of hours, but when young with no family I did not mine
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 29, 2016
It was a great company to work for when I just got out of college, but once family and other things come along the money was just not there. I moved on in same field with other companies and made far more money
horrid
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMAugust 18, 2016
they expect too much from the yard guy, you will do all the work while 3 people go and sit in a nice air conditioned office, they wont show you how to operate the forklift so building loads is useless and the expect you to load 600 pounds or more of lumber and deliver it with no help in summer weather. this place is trash. part time was from 7 am to 1 pm
Pros
part time hours
Cons
co-workers
Day to day experience differs depending on location
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCAugust 22, 2016
Enjoyed working there everyday at the store I was at, store manager was fantastic and helped many co-workers advance at that store, When I was promoted the work experience changed drastically, and quickly turned into a hostile environment that I could no longer work in.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
Poor work environment
Nice place 2 work...great work people ...
Helper on a18 wheeler hauling sheet rock .... (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LANovember 21, 2016
Great people 2 work around ....everybody was fair with each other...the money was good ...they gave everybody a chance ...and sometimes they use 2 call us in on the weekend 2 eat ...O yea I learn how 2 work a crane..
Pros
Do cookout for everybody who works there....
Cons
Good break...good benfits
84 Lumber
Contractor Salesman (Former Employee) –  Maysville, KYNovember 15, 2016
Not a bad company to work for sad to see them close so many locations. I enjoyed the work that I did with the contractors in the Maysville area. 84 Lumber also did a nice job training associates to perform their jobs better.
Pros
consistent schedule
Cons
many of the employees acted like a fraternity instead of a job.
Good company, you get back what you put in
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, CONovember 3, 2016
managed for over 20 years, If you have drive and desire you can get as far as you want.Great people ,Good mix of working with people, your employees and customers..Need to be in shape,you stay involved all day,inside and outside.
Pros
You get the support you need when you earn it.
Cons
Lots of hours
Good place to have a career
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Moundsville, WVAugust 2, 2016
A great place for opportunities. Lots of opportunities for those willing to make sacrifices of relocation. It was a fun job for most of my tenure during the "Building Boom". Lots of hard work and long hours but very rewarding both financially and job satisfaction.
Pros
Privately owned, financially strong, lots of opportunities, good compensation.
Cons
Long hours and hard work.
Productive and great management environment
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 28, 2016
It was a good job. I went into the manager field so i was training to be a co manager, where then i would move to a store manager. You have to go through this training which is located in PA, which is a nice experience. The only down fall was you was required to relocate.
Productive and fun atmosphere
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Westminster, MDNovember 15, 2016
Co-workers were amazing. I learned how to deal with employees and help them through certain challenges. Hardest part of the job was working in the hot and cold conditions.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Worked outside in all weather conditions
Solid company that provides career growth opportunity!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Eighty Four, PANovember 14, 2016
84 Lumber has been a terrific company to work for. They value their employees and provide career growth opportunities. I am excited to see how the company continues to grow and evolve in the future.
great pay great possibilities
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Eighty Four, PAAugust 7, 2016
great company to work for, great pay, possibilities for advancements were endless, great working environment, customer interaction was a great learning tool, also they have a good training department
Pros
great pay
Cons
had to relocate to advance
Had a great time working here
Insulation Installer (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKNovember 1, 2016
I enjoyed working here, the travel was cool, I liked the job it taught me things I had yet to learn. I did not believe i was being paid enough and another job that paid better fell into my lap so i took it.
terribe,terrible management.
Labor worker/ handler/Dock Receiver (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 23, 2016
A day at work last about 9 hours, depending if we were late coming back it would be 11 hours.
hard laborer with low pay rates.
Not the paying the full potential pay for workers.
OK place to work
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Eighty Four, PAJuly 10, 2016
Work days are 7:00 to 5:00 weekdays with 1 hour lunch.
Corporate offices are spread through 5 buildings and management is accessible at all levels.
A company owned fitness facility is available on the campus at a reduced cost to employees.
Pros
Friendly culture
Cons
Pay scales could be better.
good place to start working after school
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Northport, ALOctober 11, 2016
Long days of standing around and waiting for customers
co-workers aren't terrible, can be a hostile environment at times
not a bad place to get work experience
Corrupt.
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJune 2, 2016
Filed a corporate complaint due to safety and ethics violations and was fired a week later as retaliation. Co-manager was moonlighting and made several questionably racist jokes. Was personally made to use power tools without being provided any type of eye protection.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management and safety.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 84 Lumber Company. Our community is ready to answer.