84 Lumber Company Employee Reviews for Outside Sales Representative

very solid company
Outside Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILSeptember 14, 2017
Proud to had worked for 84, I had to retire do to a leg injury , they did everything they could to work with me and assist with my needs.
I would highly recommend this company, I will always buy from and recommend the 84 Lumber CO.
Pros
dependable reputable company
Cons
heavy lifting is pretty much guaranteed
Learning experience
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXSeptember 1, 2017
The customer base was a nice balance of different kinds of builders. The store was very good at working with me on getting my orders right and delivered in a timely manner if there was a problem I was the first to know.
A good place to work
Outside Sales / Lumber & Building Supplies (Former Employee) –  Florence, KYDecember 19, 2016
Knowledgeable staff and a good customer following. Unfortunately, they shut down a lot of locations and forced employees and customers to go elsewhere in the areas that stores were closed.
Ok Place to Work
Co-Manager/Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Moorefield, WVNovember 18, 2016
I'll make this short I been there 9 years and got shown the door do to poor sales performance. Yes the business is about sales. However I was not given the opportunity to stay as a lower employee or a different position. Once show to sales its there way to shove you out. And with only a two day notice I thought that was poor on a company I spent almost a decade with just to get shown the door.
84 Lumber
Outside Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Claymont, DEJune 21, 2016
good place to work. can move up but poor work environment. not a lot of employees. no management there a lot of times.
Pros
good pay
Cons
no praise for good work
Good Company but lacks local decision making capabilities.
Outside Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Ranson, WVMarch 31, 2016
84 Lumber is a good place to work, but in this market they are behind the times and refuse to wander outside the "comfort zone" box.
I would stay with the Company, but my desire is to get back into the construction site management role.
84 Lumber is a very productive and rewarding company to work for.
Co-Manager/Outside sales (Current Employee) –  Moundsville, WV-Lavale, MD-Somerset, PA-Keyser, WVFebruary 25, 2016
-One great thing about working at an 84 Lumber store is that everyday is different. Any day can consist of strictly customer sales, unloading freight trucks, or just handling daily operations.
-I have learned a lot in my five years at 84 Lumber such as building product knowledge, managing my own store, selling techniques, managing and training new employees, and more importantly becoming an outgoing person when it comes to dealing with customer service.
-Management with 84 Lumber has been a great route to take. It as given me the opportunity to learn more about my self in terms of becoming a leader. I have gained skills in managing employees, training them to set the same goals as me, understanding our stores monthly income statement, scheduling, and dealing with customers questions and concerns. I has probably been the most rewarding route with 84 Lumber thus far.
-Just about every co-worker I have had with 84 Lumber has been exceptional. I have been at four stores now and every one we have all put in a team effort to achieve success. A lot of stores don't have too many employees working there so everyone seems to always get along and become part of a small family.
-Despite every aspect of the job, 84 Lumber is a sales first job and I would the hardest part is closing a sale. Figuring and estimating material for someone can be easy but building the trust of customer can be difficult. People invest a lot of time and money in building project in which they put a lot of trust in their local sales person to make sure they have everything they need to complete the job.
-My
  more... most enjoyable part of working with 84 Lumber is just dealing with customers on a daily basis. The opportunity to listen and assist with issues they may be having with their home can be very rewarding.  less
Good work environment
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJuly 5, 2015
Start at 6AM and do paperwork from previous days sales. Order any product and process any new accounts. Once I was done with that set any appointments I could then get out in the field and prospect new business. After being out in the field till about 3PM get back to the office and finish any thing I could as far as new orders making sure that they were pulled and ready for delivery.
The hardest part of the Job was making sure that all of the product was there on time. Under promise and over deliver. You must always keep the customer in the loop as to product being on time.
The most enjoyable was when the plan came together for everyone. It was rewarding to make my numbers and make the customer happy at the same time.
Pros
Freedom to run you job as your own business. This makes you have a greater investment in the job.
Cons
The wear and tear on my own vehicle.
Developing New while maintaing current account realtionships
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 21, 2015
Typical day consists of blueprint takeoffs , putting proposals together both turnkey and material only . Field work learning what competition is successful at and also what their struggles are .

Co-workers are top notch A players

Hardest part is failing or letting a account down

Most rewarding are developing relationships, closing the sale , and recovering from a set back .
Pros
Interacting with Accounts, mix of office and field work
Cons
looking for new challenge
A very comfortable place to work at.
Outside Sales Representative- Contracted (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 9, 2015
Cold calling every day while tenured sales people sit in the office watching yahoo.Instead of reaching there potencial they would rather have accounts dropped in there laps.
First step back in the Lumber World
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCFebruary 16, 2015
This is a Tough company to work for. While I was there I did learn a lot about the industry in several areas of North Carolina while working with them. In Outside Sales working for 84 you have to be very resourceful and capable of doing several different jobs internally as an employee.
Pros
Good stepping stone into the Industry
Cons
Minimumal compensation for the job
Management has alot of down falls
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sidney, OHJuly 22, 2014
84 was a very trying place to work. I worked there for 10 years and put in between 50-75 hours every week. The culture at the particular one I worked at was a do it for yourself concept. The manager was upset if his salesman made more money than he did. He made it very tough to grow business, he would personally go out and offer customers lower prices than the sales rep to try and gain their loyalty to him instead of the salesman. When the area became saturated with 84's the salesman from other stores would hit on long term customers of other stores and under price them. The upper management really took a hit when Maggie Magerko took over the company from her father. Her thoughts were not the best for business.
Fun workplace, but not very safe
Outside Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTJuly 9, 2013
If you work hard you can succeed here, but the work is hard and you are very exposed to the elements.
Pros
Learn very valuable skills in woodworking
Cons
no heat, no a/c
If I would have listened to former employees I never would have jeopardized my great reputation in the Building Material Sales Industry
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  VirginiaDecember 22, 2012
I was desperate to get back to work in the Building Industry in a failed market. After being out of the industry for over a year I was given a Outside Sales position. Unfortunately , no one wanted to take the responsibility and train me on either the caveman computer system needed to write up estimates and orders. No one was capable of creating a competitive quote or allowed you to qualify a customer. Two Hugh problems repeatedly occurred causing you to fail . Not correctly qualifying caused you to either waste your time on a client not credit worthy or over price a credit worthy and potentially a repeat high volume business customer. This company is stuck in the past with no plan to change. If you really want to upset a office you simply disagree with Management . This company is full of lazy , incompetent bosses ! I would never recommend this company to anyone who is motivated, ambitious, or looking for a career. Although the company has a woman for the President , they have no intentions of fairly compensating based on knowledge, or years of experience.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Great company to work for
Manager trainee/AP Clerk/Outside Sales coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCDecember 10, 2012
Great people and management team to work with. enjoy going to work everyday
Good company to work for. Promotes from within
outside sales (Current Employee) –  Canton, MSOctober 18, 2012
This is a good company. Team oriented. Promotes from within.
learning experience
Outside Sales and Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Painesville, OHAugust 30, 2012
I learned alot about what it takes to succeed in an outside salesperson position.
Pros
great hours
Cons
cold in showroom
Over 50 years if Construction industry experience.
Outside Sales (Management) (Current Employee) –  NCJuly 16, 2012
84 Lumber Company has been in business since 1956 and will continue to stay in business for a long time. I started my career with this company and have learned management and sales positions through hands on experience. Each store has a "fox hole" mentality with every employee being treated like family. Every location is managed as if the store manager owned the company.
Frank J Talo
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Tavares, FLJune 19, 2012
This is a very challenging Company. There growth should so much greater. they have a great verity of products and service..
Pros
service
Cons
past style of management.
watch out
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, DEApril 18, 2012
will find any reason to take comissions away.
Back charge salesman for customer using credit card to pay account

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 84 Lumber Company. Our community is ready to answer.

84 Lumber Company Reviews by Location