84 Lumber Company Employee Reviews

Privately owned
Manager/Outside Salesman (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, KYFebruary 14, 2017
One of the largest privately owned lumber yards left. Lots of opportunity, one of the few places you can still advance without a degree. Hard work & performance will get you there. Did 14 years there, not sure there situation or status these days.
Pros
Privately ownwed opposed to big corporation
Cons
Most stores used to not have heat, only around the counter. Focused mostly on Contractors.
Productive fun place to work
Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Eighty Four, PAFebruary 14, 2017
A great place to work; great management, and great atmosphere! Love the laid back environment and the coworkers. Treated with respected and as member of the family.
Rewarding to the right people
Co-Manager (Current Employee) –  New Castle, PAFebruary 8, 2017
You are rewarded for how hard of a worker you are with this company and they welcome any hard workers no matter the background.
worst place ever
CoManager (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INFebruary 6, 2017
I worked here a few years back and it has been by far the worst job I have ever had. We worked long hours and sometimes never had a break because they were understaffed. The most I made was 18,000 dollars a year. I was a co-manager so I was salary and that meant no overtime pay. There is a lot of physical labor and was expected to wait on customers while also restocking and loading customers up. Most of the time just two employees to do all the work. I could go on but too much to grieve about with this job. I was so happy they closed my location and could move on to another job. I always hated to quit a job and I wanted to give it a good try. The only positive I can say is that I learned a lot about construction.
Pros
learned about construction
Cons
terrible pay and long hours
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Eighty Four, PAFebruary 1, 2017
Your location and your upper management make all the difference in the world. This can be either one of the best companies to work for or it can be difficult.
Great company to work for.
DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, MDJanuary 29, 2017
It was an ok place to work at. My only problem was that I was told I was getting my training at the Upper Marlboro store then I was going to be at the Mechanicsville store right by my house.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Too long of a drive and was not sent to the store which I was hired for
Co-workers were fun to work with and all of us were hard workers.
Coordinator of Sales (Former Employee) –  Elkton, FLJanuary 28, 2017
A typical day at work would be answering the phones and help customers with products. I learned a lot about lumber and construction. Management was always helpful but was not in the building a lot of times. The workplace culture was fun and up paced. That always made the day good by fast even though the hours were long on a day to day basis. The hardest part of the job was only having a 30 min. lunch break on a 11 hour shift. Most enjoyable part was working with great people and learning all that I could within the time I was there.
Pros
Sales Perks
Cons
A very long drive for me at the time
Productive work place with opportunities to going step up
CUSTOMER SERVICE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  La Vergne, TNJanuary 24, 2017
I,m glad to work for this company for almost 5 yrs, they gave me the opportunity to work in one of the best places, I had the best team ever. People are so friendly, respectful and there courtesy was exceptional. I tried to continue working for them, but unfortunately don't have any open positions close to here on the state I moved already.
Pros
All benefits included
Cons
84 lumber was an alright place to work for.
Certified Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 21, 2017
84 lumber was a decent place to work for.i really did not like the fact that i worked outside in cold weather. my supervisor was pretty laid back although.
secluded in location
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 18, 2017
Secluded in location, most of business went out on delivery trucks, not that many customers walking the aisle looking for products
Designer
Truss Designer Trainee (Current Employee) –  La Vergne, TNJanuary 18, 2017
84 will never pay you what you are worth. The hours are long and grueling. Most people move up by being horrible human beings willing to lie their way to the top.
Productive Environment -
Install Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXJanuary 16, 2017
84 Lumber provides a busy work environment with great health benefits. Communication can be difficult with a company spread across the country. Watch out for lay offs.
Excellent Work Place
Yard Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Henderson, CO 80640January 15, 2017
Co workers were easy to get along with, supervisor,s and higher management treated everyone the same. Everyone at this company were true team players.
Pros
Caring company, good pay and benefits, promotions and steady reviews and raises
Cons
one or two hard to deal with employees, but over all no cons
Amazing place to work
Door & Window Installer (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 12, 2017
Their really is not a hard day at work. CO-workers and management are amazing. They work place is steady and time does fly by. They work in place is very welcoming and everybody works together. The only thing I do not like is that it's sort of union based were if the company as a whole is hurting employees at every store would have to lay off someone if your store is doing amazing in sales.
Pros
The co-workers and environment are great
Cons
Being kind of union based is not cool because anybody could be laid off
Forklift Operator
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 12, 2017
Loading & Unloading trucks order selector fixing doors/windows. Checking paperwork on everything on truck before I unload the truck. Loading Fireplaces if needed on a order lumber as well.
Great/Fun Place to work
YARD MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 11, 2017
This was a great place to work for. However the pay was under what I need to provide for my family. Lots of overtime was offered. But working in the ever changing weather conditions was not ideal.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Pay
run far away for real .
Manager (Current Employee) –  Holbrook, MAJanuary 11, 2017
horrible place too work . lot od disrespect and unequal oppurtunitties . Not worth the headache of working here ......... its bad dont belive me just go work for them lol
your experience will vary greatly based on store and area
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Wext VirginiaJanuary 10, 2017
This company can be great and I've heard that it is in certain areas of the country (north central WV is NOT one of these great places). Word of advice though, research your areas construction market before joining as your pay will depend heavily on the stores income.
Pros
Bonus structure
Cons
Also, bonus structure
This was such a great place to work
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Plainville, CTJanuary 4, 2017
I liked this job a lot. I really liked being in a managerial position. I feel like I did really well at this. All the employees were treated very well. Unfortunately I moved back to NY and tthey didn't have a position for me.
Crm
Customer Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Macedonia, OHJanuary 3, 2017
Managed a portfolio of more then 2 million dollars, composed of 23 client accounts. built new business through client cultivation. provide exceptional service to clients throughout the sales cycle, performed analysis, consult on contractual issues, technical concerns, and maximize new business opportunities. respond immediately to clinet issues and to ensure complete satisfaction.