84 Lumber Company Employee Reviews in United States

Very excellent training ground
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJuly 15, 2015
Learned more in the time I worked at 84 then I have anywhere else. Feel that without there training would never have accomplished what I have so far. Difficult company to make a living and raise a family with at the time I worked for them.
Lots to learn. Low wages for the work
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCJuly 9, 2015
Expect to be overworked and underpaid for this position. Similar positions would pay 11-12$ an hour. Nope, 9.42$. If you wanna move up, typically you will have to relocate. You won't get a raise in this position at all. You have to be promoted to receive higher pay. Management style is kind of belittling and not very thorough. Work every other saturday. The training is quite good actually. Overall, just not enough money for the nature and scope of work. If you have bills to pay, stay away, unless you like 11 hour days and working tons of overtime just to make decent money. Typical 2 week pay period is 105 hours of work.
Pros
Decent training
Cons
Everything else
Good work environment
Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJuly 5, 2015
Start at 6AM and do paperwork from previous days sales. Order any product and process any new accounts. Once I was done with that set any appointments I could then get out in the field and prospect new business. After being out in the field till about 3PM get back to the office and finish any thing I could as far as new orders making sure that they were pulled and ready for delivery.
The hardest part of the Job was making sure that all of the product was there on time. Under promise and over deliver. You must always keep the customer in the loop as to product being on time.
The most enjoyable was when the plan came together for everyone. It was rewarding to make my numbers and make the customer happy at the same time.
Pros
Freedom to run you job as your own business. This makes you have a greater investment in the job.
Cons
The wear and tear on my own vehicle.
I love the atmosphere but the pay is lacking.
Account Manager / Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJune 25, 2015
Typical day would consist of collecting payments and keeping all customers up to date on their accounts; and handling all paperwork for new applicants and new hires.

The hardest part is tracking down customers who are dodging payment, but I have always found them. Even when I have to drive on my lunchtime to collect.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the closeness of the employees and hearing the great compliments I have received; so I know I am doing a great job.
Pros
working as much as possible for the overtime.
Cons
no raises and being appreciated
Hard work with pay off if you work with company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Nicholasville, KYJune 10, 2015
Work with the company and they will in turn work with you in regards for results. Work the system and build relationships and you will reap the benifits of your work.
Pros
Off two day a week.
Cons
Compensation is based on Outside sales team
Okay place to work
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJune 8, 2015
Good people to work with, and work with the home owners to fix their windows and trim. All the people that I work with are easy going people.
Job from the beginning
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 7, 2015
I wasn't expecting to stay as long as I did but working so many hours to pay the rent kept me coming back for a pay check. From installing door and windows to packing shingles on a roof or packing 4x12 drywall up stairs.
Pros
Learned new things
Cons
Income was bad
Educational Experience
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Loyalhanna, PAMay 28, 2015
This company wants its employees to understand exactly what they are selling and how to help customers. However, coming in as someone who knows nothing about construction made it very difficult to work there.

The work days are 11 hours long with a single half hour break. As a manager trainee you will do literally everything in the store, which means you'll learn how the store is run top to bottom.
We have a grill we can cookout on
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 21, 2015
Too much vulgar language - the bad 4 letter word flows like a river all day long from manager on down.

Get along with everyone pretty much.

Learned new computer system

Hardest part is keeping busy!!
Developing New while maintaing current account realtionships
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 21, 2015
Typical day consists of blueprint takeoffs , putting proposals together both turnkey and material only . Field work learning what competition is successful at and also what their struggles are .

Co-workers are top notch A players

Hardest part is failing or letting a account down

Most rewarding are developing relationships, closing the sale , and recovering from a set back .
Pros
Interacting with Accounts, mix of office and field work
Cons
looking for new challenge
Good Place to Work
Warranty Manager (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALMay 10, 2015
Good place to work. Management good, if there was a dislike I had it would have been office co workers were always negative
Good dispatch manager. not a very good store manager
Yard Associate (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNApril 30, 2015
Worked way to late. 6am to sometimes 9pm.
Store manager screams and yells at people, NOT HOW YOU MANAGE PEOPLE!
Do way more work than what you are paid for.
Pros
Money
Cons
management, stress, no life
Fun times with my good friend
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Depew, NYApril 13, 2015
Every day we would go into the lumber yard with a list of pickups. In order to get most of the lumber that we needed, we worked forklifts. We used a special banding item to wrap the lumber as directed.

Management and my co-workers were all really nice. My favorite part of the job was that it was with a good friend of mine who lived near by. We were put together to do jobs for a while until we were independent enough to run jobs separately.

The hardest part of the job was that when it rained, you had to finish your load before going inside. I had forgotten my coat one time and got rained on. But I was fine.
Pros
Free doughnuts in the mornings sometimes
Cons
A large amount of labor for minimum wage
A very comfortable place to work at.
Outside Sales Representative- Contracted (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 9, 2015
Cold calling every day while tenured sales people sit in the office watching yahoo.Instead of reaching there potencial they would rather have accounts dropped in there laps.
horrible
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 20, 2015
hired with the understanding I would need to learn the field (since I'm an IT grad, and not a contractor. Area Manager said he was hiring me because I was a college grad so I could learn the field. Then, I was fired less than 6 months later with my only given reason being that I wasn't familiar enough with the industry, regardless of having passed all tests I had been given to that point.
Pros
work day goes by quick due to business
Cons
lack of management/ethics
Good fun Place
Builder (Former Employee) –  Coal Center, PAMarch 13, 2015
Extremely fun environment! makes it worth the while. when you get a crew going and have fun it makes it all extremely fun. Breaks are all good
Great Company
Data Entry Coordinator/ Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 2, 2015
I Loved working for this Company. Highly recommended! Company was bought out by Meritage of Arizona.At that time Legendary did a layoff of Greenville employees.
Economic Down Turn
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 28, 2015
This would have been the dream job if it had not been 2007. Once the housing market crashed this job was terrible for everyone. And if you were at the top of the food chain it was even worse. The company was ok. The upper management in my area was bad the free rein was great so it really didnt matter..
Pros
Pay Free will
Cons
relaxed layed back work environment
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCFebruary 28, 2015
it was a pretty easy job, you did the same thing everyday. pull your materials, load up, drive to the job site, unload, take pictures, and then of to the next job. I enjoyed working on my own and planning out my day. I didn't really enjoy working in the rain and the cold, but all in all it was a fun job.
productive,well balanced fun and professional.
commercial driver (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAFebruary 27, 2015
First thing inspect truck. The go hang out in office talking to the co workers, joke talk about life. the management was great. Sometimes we had very long hours.the people made it enjoyable.