84 Lumber Company

84 Lumber Company Employer Reviews

Customers made the job good
Contractor Sales Representative (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VADecember 31, 2013
Pros: customers & co-workers
Cons: management
I was satisified with my employment at 84 Lumber, had great relationships with customners and co workers, but management wasn't very good.
Productive workplace
Manager Trainee - Customer service (Current Employee), Winchester, KYDecember 30, 2013
OK place to work for. Long days, not enough pay. Co-workers are pleasant to work with. Management could use a little more training before being put into the Store Manager position. Area manager could possibly visit a little more.
I really enjoyed this job just didn't quite make enough to support my family but it was a cool fun work place
Crew Leader/Truck Driver (Former Employee), Huntington, WVDecember 23, 2013
Pros: good hours, good co-workers
Cons: pay is a little low
the hours were really good and the management was good also. Its a very well organized and running operation. I really enjoyed working there the only issue was the pay if that could've been bumped up just a little then I'd still be working there. I just couldn't quite make enough to pay for my house and my family the way I wanted to on that salary
productive and fun workplace
Production Manager (Former Employee), Lenexa, KSDecember 17, 2013
I learned how to be productive despite any challenge I had to face
Great job for people with experience
Forklift Operator/Yard Detail (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNDecember 16, 2013
Very flexible with personal situations but long hours sometimes.
Service car driver (Former Employee), floridaDecember 13, 2013
Hard working self motivated. Work well with all employees and customers.
Good opportunity... but seriously lacking in professionalism
Assistant Store Manager/Dispatcher (Former Employee), Charleston, SCDecember 5, 2013
Pros: pay, advancement opportunity
Cons: no time for breaks, no time for personal life, unprofessional management
84 is a company for grinders. If you want to have a personal life, do not even attempt to get into management. You will work 60+ hours per week, and turnover is extremely heavy, which means you may get 2 to 3 months per year with a reasonable staff that is trained. Management, with a few exceptions, is extremely unprofessional.

On the plus side, the – more... company offers very good pay and opportunity for advancement. Especially if you land the right store. They reward hard work, but beware that as a manager it may take some time before you start making decent money. You have to earn the spots at the high sales volume stores, and those are the stores where you make the money. – less
under payed
Warehouseman (Former Employee), Seabrook, MDDecember 3, 2013
this company seems to try to pay you as little as possible, and get as much work out of you as possible.
Productive and fun workplace
Yard Associate (Former Employee), Lake City, FLNovember 18, 2013
i don't really remember much about working here i was young
but i have no bad memories of working here
Store is ran like a franchise/ If the management doesnt like you personally requardless of work ethic they will make it difficult for you.
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Gulfport, MSNovember 14, 2013
Stores are ran like a franchise instead of an organized corporation. If the management doesnt like you personally requardless of your work ethic they will make it difficult or even terminate you. Managers think that the company policy is not policy but recommendations.
Contractor Sales Coordinator (Former Employee), Georgetown, DEOctober 28, 2013
Enjoy atmosphere and doing what I do best... solve problems for people who come in and need services. In the 4 years I worked for the company, I was able to remember my anniversary since Owner sent out a card every year. Great company to work for. Upward mobility and good environment. Would love to take advantage of going to the Lodge one year.
General laborer (Current Employee), Concord, NCOctober 14, 2013
Pros: close to the house, its not stressful, lunches
Cons: no rises
* A day at work could be one of those days that you never know what you will be doing.
* I have learn to make correct measurements, and their equipments to make and asemble a door a well operate a forklift to get items I need.
*The management is good but still needs work
*My hardest part of my job is the communication a far as work to keep it running – more... steady and smoothly
* I have fun at my job with the people who works there. We joke and clown around to make time pass by. – less
Productive Fun Work Enviornment
General Laborer (Former Employee), Bessemer, alOctober 10, 2013
I really enjoyed working with these Family Oriented People. It was like while working together we were building a mutual dependent family...What one person couldnt do antoher person could and would be glad to assist them.
Production and driving a forklift
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Osceola, INSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: the job itself
Cons: working outside in bad weather
Unloading trucks and trains with a forklift, and building different lumber. The management, and co-workers were really nice. Working outside even in bad weather conditions. I really enjoyed everything about the job.
A positive and educational work experience.
Compensation Analyst, Intern (Former Employee), Eighty Four, PASeptember 9, 2013
Pros: great co-workers, challenging work, able to speak with many other employees throughout the day.
Cons: had to sit for very long periods of time.
Working at 84 Lumber was a crucial learning experience for my Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration and Human Resources. My co-workers and supervisor were nothing less than spectacular. They made me feel right at home and assisted me whenever possible. I learned many important aspects of the HR Field; which included but are not limited – more... to: compensation, compliance, and other various HRIS reports. The most difficult part of my job was transitioning into a setting where I must sit for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of my job was I loved the work I was doing, and all of my co-workers. I have nothing but good things to say about my employment at 84 Lumber! – less
Productive, Interesting
A/R Clerk (Former Employee), Yuma, AZAugust 16, 2013
print reports, call on past due accounts/collect payments, other clerical duties, cashier, inventory. Most of the time busy, co workers really fun, knowledgeable, never a dull moment. Enjoyed everyday.
productive and fun workplace with great bonus potential
Store Manager (Former Employee), bridgeport, wvAugust 13, 2013
worked hand-in-hand with local contractors to ensure their building needs were being met. scheduling and dispatching deliveries for customers. worked with 2 contractor sales reps. 1 co-manager, and 2 manager trainees. the most nerve-racking part of this job was the twice a year town meetings. this is a meeting for managers where you get evaluated for – more... your progress and if you are meeting the goals set by budget dept. and ways to correct this if you are not. the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that I just made a positive difference or experience for at one person that day. – less
84 Lumber
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee), Richland, MSAugust 11, 2013
Good company to work for. A typical work day is is 10 to 12 hours a day.
Good Company
Manager Trainee (Former Employee), Moundsville, WVJuly 27, 2013
Pros: good pay, good treatment of employees
Cons: long hours
At 84 you will work hard, but they compensate you for it. Good complany from top down. If you are willing to work hard and relocate, you can advance fast.
Great training system. Quota Sunday can be stressful
Co-Manager / Contractor Sales Rep (Former Employee), West Mifflin, HC, Imperial, MurrysvilleJuly 27, 2013
Pros: great company principles and values and training program.
Cons: quota sunday can be stressful. i've heard more than one ludicrous request from area mgrs
Great place to learn business principles and values. A few years after leaving 84 I started and operated my own communications business for 5 years. I used alot of what I learned at 84 to run a very successful business. First year sales were approx $10,000. The last year I was over $300,000 in October when I sold the company for way more money than – more... expected. – less

About 84 Lumber Company

84 Lumber Company was founded by Joe Hardy in 1956 in the town of Eighty Four, Pennsylvania, where the original store continues – Read more

84 Lumber Company Photos