84 Lumber Company

84 Lumber Company Employer Reviews

Good Company
Manager Trainee (Former Employee), Moundsville, WVJuly 27, 2013
Pros: good pay, good treatment of employees
Cons: long hours
At 84 you will work hard, but they compensate you for it. Good complany from top down. If you are willing to work hard and relocate, you can advance fast.
Great training system. Quota Sunday can be stressful
Co-Manager / Contractor Sales Rep (Former Employee), West Mifflin, HC, Imperial, MurrysvilleJuly 27, 2013
Pros: great company principles and values and training program.
Cons: quota sunday can be stressful. i've heard more than one ludicrous request from area mgrs
Great place to learn business principles and values. A few years after leaving 84 I started and operated my own communications business for 5 years. I used alot of what I learned at 84 to run a very successful business. First year sales were approx $10,000. The last year I was over $300,000 in October when I sold the company for way more money than – more... expected. – less
no coment
2nd shift supervisor (Former Employee), Kings Mountain ncJuly 20, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: nothing
no coment
poor mangement
under payed
not apperciated
no one works hard
its pretty easy people were lazy
Positive work enviroment
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee), Winter Garden, FLJuly 14, 2013
• Four Man Crew
• Oversee supply and equipment orders
• Receive and Stock Equipment
• Job site Delivery and set up
• Forklift Operator
• Vendor/Contractor Services
Fun workplace, but not very safe
Outside Sales Manager (Former Employee), Plainville, CTJuly 9, 2013
Pros: learn very valuable skills in woodworking
Cons: no heat, no a/c
If you work hard you can succeed here, but the work is hard and you are very exposed to the elements.
fast paced work , training is outstanding
Co-Manager (Former Employee), Oil City, PAJune 25, 2013
Great training for learning the lumber and building industry
ok
Yard Manager (Former Employee), Altoona, PAJune 24, 2013
asdfghjkqwertyuioiuytresdfghjjhgfdasdfghjjhgfwertyuiiuytrewertjhgfdsdfg.
cold unheated stores
co-manager (Former Employee), falls creek and clarion paJune 22, 2013
Pros: the day you realize whats going on and you leave
Cons: just about everything
84 lumber is a joke. There are little to no promotions unless you are willing to move all over every year. You work 12 hour days so if you have a family you will not see them. The pay they talk about is a myth. The stores have no heat they are just sheds so in the winter you freeze and have to put any merchandise that will freeze into a "warm room". – more... The company is designed to exploit those whohave a strong back and a weak mind (18-25 year olds). They will work you hard so you can make the owner richer than he already is and only ever make empty promises about what they can do for you its a slap in the face for your hard work. Worst thing is how political the company is I would compare it to a cult if you have any idea of your own people start gunning for your job in all actuality if you do excel people go after you. This is not a career!!! Its a summer job at best if you are looking to get in shape and get some sun for a few months. However I would tell you not to waste your time like I said its a joke and the promised pay and promotions are a myth for all but a few. – less
company needs to connect with their salesman
Outside Salesman (Former Employee), DeLand, FLJune 5, 2013
Pros: freedom to work at one's own pace
Cons: unrealistic quotas, managers that have no concept of calling on jobs
Company more interested in putting money into owner's pocket than into growing business and helping their salesmen with products and pricing
Great job for outdoor work.
Manager Trainee (Former Employee), Watertown, NYMay 27, 2013
I learned allot on how to price out houses and decks. I enjoyed loading trucks with lumber.
Great place to work taught invaluable business skills and knowledge
General Operations Manager (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMay 13, 2013
Pros: great pay and good benefits
Cons: short breaks long hours not much time off lived the job it was all of my life.
Very fast paced but very rewarding work. Not much time for breaks work flow was staggering but learning and advancement opportunities were in your hands opened up your spirit to take your skills as far as you could in business operations. Gave me a great sense of personal value and confidence in myself.
Hard work and an honest days pay.
Management Trainee (Current Employee), Georgetown, KYMay 12, 2013
Pros: relaxed atmosphere, hard days work, great training.
Cons: no breaks, constantly understaffed.
Working in this position gave me a true definition of physical labor. I worked in every area of the store and learned many things. I was responsible for various tasks, from customer estimates involving large structures to inventory to bathroom duty. This was a very good experience and I was fortunate to work in such a position.
productive work place
Yard Manager (Former Employee), Decherd, TNMay 8, 2013
Pros: good employer
Cons: not very good benefits
enjoyed the people I worked with and customers I interacted with.
Work long hours
Contractor Sales (Former Employee), Cimarron, KSMay 2, 2013
You have to work a minimum of 48 hours a week with this company. Management was difficult to work with. Always short staffed.
Great place to work.
Manager Trainee/Sales Representative (Former Employee), Grove City, PAMay 1, 2013
Contractor oriented approach to creating business. Sales representatives are required to know everything about buildings products not just one section of the store.
A good place to work
MANAGER TRAINEE (Current Employee), timonium mdMay 1, 2013
Pros: fun, challenging work environment with possibility of advancement
Cons: long weeks
84 lumber company is a great place to work, provided you are single and have no other commitments. there are plenty of opportunities for advancement as long as you work hard, however there is no work/life balance. 48 hour weeks are mandatory and it really puts a strain on out of work relationships.
Great place to learn about the building material industry
Co Manager & Manager Trainee (Former Employee), White Plains, MDApril 28, 2013
Long intense days
Managers are very dedicated
Great training program
Can quickly be promoted
Fast pace workplace
Co-Manager (Current Employee), Douglassville, PAApril 11, 2013
A typical day at work starts at 630am and doesn't end until 6pm. Most times I had to work through my 30 minute lunch break even though you're not compensated for lunch as an hourly employee. You'll have face to face interaction with customers and vendors daily which helps you learn the industry and the product offerings quickly; a huge positive. You're – more... required to keep the store stocked with merchandise. This can be difficult because stock orders placed through the corporate office are many times delayed as corporate purchasers try to get the least expensive material before selling it to the store at an upcharge. Higher management gives the aura of being a group that doesn't look at an individual's overall contribution to running the store; merely a group focused solely on what their sales numbers are. Their comparisons amongst individuals is also problematic as some stores are geared toward a home owner market (lot of walk in customers) where others are strictly successful on the professional contractor front (outside sales dominates because there is no walk ins). If you're store is successful financially one year budgets and quota targets increase drastically making bonuses much harder to acquire the following year. I had the privilege of working with great colleagues that made the mental and physically grueling days tolerable. There is no pay increase at all and in order to be promoted you are required to uproot and move to a different city where in my case was financially crippling as the pay doesn't offset cost of living for a single individual. There are quite a few positives to the job. You get the opportunity to network with a ton of different suppliers. You gain valuable knowledge about the building industry which is beneficial to owning/renting later in life. For me I created great friendships with my co-workers both at work and outside of work. – less
I enjoyed my breaks with my co-workers. It gave me a chance to get to know them better.
Manager in Training (Former Employee), Lebanon, PAApril 8, 2013
I enjoyed working for 84 Lumber because everyone got along with each other. The hardest part was figuring out the calculations for formularies customers would need.
cool p;lace to work very busy never boring
Semi Loader & Forklift Operator (Former Employee), baton rouge laMarch 31, 2013
Pros: great work place
Cons: pay scale kind of low
i liked this place alot very busy and fun enviroment very great supervision and overall wonderful place.

About 84 Lumber Company

84 Lumber Company was founded by Joe Hardy in 1956 in the town of Eighty Four, Pennsylvania, where the original store continues – Read more

84 Lumber Company Photos