85C Bakery Cafe Employee Reviews

Terrible place.
Back-up tea (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 15, 2018
Does not give enough benefits. Owner treats employees not very well. Pleasant coworkers but poor communications with everyone can lead to poor performance in the workplace.
If you like fast paced this is for you.
Fresh bread associate (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAJanuary 14, 2018
I started working there and I loved it. They didn’t have my apron size so they stuck me on dishes. I asked if I was going to something else other then dishes and they next thing I know I’m being let go after a week. They said it’s because they don’t think its gonna work out. I have a hard time believing that. I think it’s because I said something.
Pros
Pay
Cons
If you speak your mind they don’t like you
Decent job to have while completing school
Associate (Current Employee) –  Hacienda Heights, CAJanuary 9, 2018
It was a simple job, but last manager was never really present in the store which resulted in no leadership. Low stress job for when other responsibilities are demanding.
Little Breaks, Hectic, Workload
Separator,Baker,Store Front (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2018
Managers will come and go to and from different locations, associates will not show up as you doing well will have you do their job. Stay after hours when people don't finish their work and leave without cleaning their area. I do enjoy the managers I have at the moment but they're leaving so I have to get used to new ones and much drama in the area. I'm asked for help around the store since I usually finish early or have caught up when days are bad, especially during the holidays. I usually handle the shipment solo.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Pay
Cons
Work load, work enviroment, poor coordination. heavy work flow
Fast an fun pace
Bakery Lead (Former Employee) –  Brea, CADecember 4, 2017
Gotta be energetic fun working enviorment gotta be in a fast pace but managment need to be more prepare parking lot need to be bigger since it a fast growing company overall good to place to work
Pros
Relax enviorment
Cons
Poor managment
Horrible workplace
Bread Baker (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXNovember 30, 2017
Management is horrible- there is constant lack of communication as well as last minute changes in the following weeks' schedule. I understand the company is growing at a much faster rate than being able to keep its personnel intact; but in order to do so the upper management needs to take a 101 course on how to respect their employees.
Pros
2 free bread per shift
Cons
management
A company with no clear direction
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CANovember 28, 2017
This company is still going through a lot of changes and did not have a clear direction of where they want to grow. CEO has no idea what he's doing. Most of the times they're just throwing out random promotions and hoping it'll work. Basic benefits.

You do get pay better than most fast food restaurants but the customers that come in here are the worst. Company always promote employees' wellfare but do nothing about it when we get attack.

The best thing out of this company, you'll make lifetime friends.
Stressful
Bakery Associate (Current Employee) –  Gardena, CANovember 26, 2017
85 is a popular bakery/cafe and while the interactions with customers can be nice, the workload placed on employees is very demanding. Most of the time the store I work at doesn't have enough staff on site to compensate for the customers coming in. Leaving employees exhausted and frustrated. Hours can go from 30+ a week to 15+ hours a week, so there is no stability.
Fast Paced Job
Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Alhambra, CANovember 25, 2017
Its a job where you have to realky know alot to not be bored. Be mentally prepare to deal with customers. There are days where there is nothing to do because its slow , but its better when there is holidays becahse it will be crazh packed.
Horrible Hiring process
fresh bread (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXNovember 19, 2017
So they go through a staffing company which is the WORST!!!They say they will get back to you and they never do you actually have to call them multiple times. If you like to be Micro-Manage then this may be the job for you.They Fire people for the simplest thing.For Ex.if they feel like you don't mix well with them,If your too quiet and don't talk much,and for having tattoos that no one can even see.
Pros
Pay is Fare, Free bread
Cons
Management is very picky
not a stressful job
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 15, 2017
The job is not too hard and everyone in the store is friendly. The management is not excellent but acceptable. The salary is quite acceptable now, but if it is kept in next year when the minimum wage increases, it is not acceptable anymore.
Great place if you have open availability
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2017
They are really looking for full time workers who can work any time I was in pursuit of partime weekend employment I quickly found out after working there for a month If your availability is closed you will not get any hours they had me working only one day in a 2 week span that was not enough for me and it was in that what I was looking for So I resigned my position. If you can work any time day or night and you're looking for full time and you're not lazy this is awsome place Great food management is OK fast pace but if you not looking for full time I would not recommend this company
Pros
Discounts and hourly pay
Cons
If you're not open you won't get Hours
Baker (Former Employee) –  Alhambra, CAOctober 25, 2017
don't work here, its not fun but more like miserable and didn't train me well, more like slacked off, they didn't change me around a lot and i was trained very poorly.
Pros
Cons
a lot
productive
Taiwanese Bread And Cake Artist (Former Employee) –  Newark, CAOctober 20, 2017
85 bakery is a very fast paced sometimes overwhelming working space poor management and rude staff not the best work space but you do learn a lot working here
Cool coworkers, heavy workload, pay not worth
Cashier duties (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAOctober 17, 2017
The only thing I loved about 85C Bakery Cafe, was meeting cool people. The work was not worth it for the pay we received. Average of 8 and a half hours per shift. Two 10 min breaks and one 30. When I started working we had to pay for our drink cups (besides water). No free bread and we threw away all of the leftover bread when we closed so no one took anything home. Overall, it was nice at first but get tiresome really quick and makes you want to look for another job. Management plays favorites and will keep an eye out for slackers.
Pros
Cool coworkers, overtime for holidays
Cons
Horrible benefits
Still underconstruction
Baker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 14, 2017
This job has it's ups and downs. Constantly changing how they handle their staff and how they work on a day to day bases. They don't promote people who have the training and experience they hire the people they are most comfortable with leaving out the people with more experience to help train the new managers. They allow certain people to not follow rules but punish people who they don't like who break the same rules as their friends. There is no real structure at this job and people who work there are unhappy. Nothing is fair and there is no real advancement in the company stores. Managers and associates are careless of their attitudes towards each other and work pace is based on if people in the store like each other.
Cons
No break room, dont recieve benefits for a long time
Fresh Bread
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hacienda Heights, CAOctober 9, 2017
As a supervisor, I worked various shifts but mostly mornings. Open the store and set up for the morning shift. Workplace culture was fun and relaxed which made the job enjoyable.
Cake Decorator/Cashier
Cake Decorator/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXSeptember 26, 2017
You get moved around quite a bit in the bakery which isn't a problem. However some people, including myself, did not get properly trained like the others. Not that I wasn't able to quickly learn, they mostly kept me in cake/cashier. Overall, the experience wasn't bad. Out of all the jobs I've experienced this was the easiest. However, management was not incredible. They're busiest on weekends, which is also the time they're understaffed. Those who are working are asked by management to do 10 other things including their main job and then ask why you haven't fulfilled your main job right now. At some point, apparently they'd hired too many employees and 30+ people had their hours shortened/cut for over 3 months. We finally got an email saying they would put employees whose hours were cut back on the schedule and I just can't rely on that not happening again.
Pros
Good pay, get 2 free bread each 10 min shift, 20% discount, 30 min break if working 5+ hours
Cons
Understaffed on weekends, stressful, bagging is really inefficient
Fun place, great managers and coworker. exhausting. numbing. unpredictable.
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Carrollton, TXSeptember 17, 2017
The hardest part is often how understaffed we are and how often we are out of ingredients for drinks. It not only hinders my performance, but always upsets the customers.
From this place, I have learned excellent time management, adaptability, extreme cleanliness, conflict resolution, and the balance of leadership and collaboration with my fellow employees.
The most enjoyable part of the job is either the time spent improving working skills with my coworkers or when I can successfully make a customer feel that they have been properly assisted.

** Hours are very often cut just so they can save money. We are usually understaffed on a busy day for this reason. **
Pros
free bread, pay starts at $10.50 an hr
Cons
numbing, unpredictable, understaffed, often cut hours
Great managers and co-workers, exhausting work.
Barista and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Carrollton, TXSeptember 17, 2017
It can be a really fun place to work at, until theres a bad rush (which can be often if you work on the weekends or late nights). Its a very fast-paced work environment. Being someone who has done multiple customer service, the customers there for some reason are extra petty and it just drains all the energy from you. Even when you are trying your very best, you will often have a judging stare from a customer. I have learned to ignore them, and just continue to perform my job the best I can.
Pros
free bread, fun-loving coworkers and management
Cons
understaffed, numbing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 85C Bakery Cafe. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6