99¢ Only Stores Employee Reviews

It can be fun or it can go wrong
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lomita, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Working at the 99 has been bittersweet. I've come across people whom I'm thankful for. Both customer and coworkers. Managers are flexible in trying to accommodate your schedule. It's good for a temporary job but not to make a career out of it. Compensation is not good. Fast paced and often you either multi or triple task.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Short breaks
Great job for customer service and steady, well-paced work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXJanuary 16, 2017
Working for this business is actually both a blessing and sometimes a chore. While you are given hours that will give you a hefty paycheck, sometimes your job has requirements you never knew you signed up for. It's alright to stay an hour or two finishing some work you probably didn't have time for as it tends to get quite busy, however, you shouldn't be forced to stay because fellow co-workers are favored among managements.

Job wise, customers are very nice and well-mannered, good mornings and praise always drive you to get through some of the hardest work days and repeated customers tend to learn your name and always make it that much better. You are given breaks which are needed from standing on your feet, very easy to learn the requirements of being a cashier, stocking, keeping your work station clean.

Management however can be a problem. While I worked for three months, it was hard to maintain a good station when registers were poorly stocked with cash to handle and finish customer transactions. Complaints were also always aimed towards the cashier despite customers' repeated emphasis on product or store quality of said products. Management also tended to maintain a very school-like atmosphere with favorites being chosen to leave early, others being made to finish fellow co-worker's unfinished work and at times, made it unbeatable to get any work done when management behaved in such an irresponsible and negative manner.

Overall, if you like steady, well-paced work, you should work here however, pay raises are rare and you are started off at minimum wage. However,
  more... the customers and fellow employees whom you can make friendships with, definitely make it that much better.  less
Pros
Nice customers, good hours, breaks.
Cons
Lack of good management, no pay raises.
boring
Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Yuba City, CAJanuary 22, 2017
the overnight managers hitting on females, too bossy, to much drama, and ignorant managers, racist, and low pay, only good thing is workload is easy, and sometimes boring.
Pros
co workers. easy workload.
Cons
short breaks, overnight management sucks, and low pay
Amazing first job
Front End Lead (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CANovember 21, 2016
It's an amazing job as a first job got to grow in the company very fast. Management could be a bit difficult to work with at times and can choose favouritism. I loved it but I need to find something bigger and better so I could keep growing.
Pros
Moving up in the company on a short time
Cons
Management can be very difficult at times
Worst company ever
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 3, 2016
Low pay! overwork you for 5,10,15 cents yearly raises.favoritism from the bottom on up all the way to cooperate.nothing but family in this awful company.managers friends and family get 40 hours a week plus OT while everybody else gets less.they take customer side on everything,employees always wrong.high stress job not worth working here.I wouldn't want my worst enemies working here.
Pros
Cons
Everything 10min breaks, rude customers, no support from cooperate
productive and fun workplace dealing with customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rialto, CASeptember 8, 2016
My day would usually start as i clock in go to my register count it out to make sure it was the right amount. When i finish counting it out make sure my register was clear and clean so customers can come and get checked out. I learned how to be professional when a customer has a disagreement with me i had to always remember that the customer is always right. My co-workers were very friendly i had no problems with no one. The hardest part part about the job was when there weren't enough employees and my long would get really long and the customers would get frustrated and i would get overwhelmed but i will try my hardest to work threw it. I enjoyed it though when the customers would come in happy and thats what makes me happy to know i made a customers day.
Pros
nice co workers, laid back work place
Cons
lack of employees
99 cent only store experience
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Barstow, CAJanuary 30, 2017
I had a positive and learning experience.I also loved working with my coworkers and high respect for management. I never had any problems working for this company.
Fun workplace and great as a second or part-time job
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 1, 2016
I enjoyed the years I worked at one of these stores. Sometimes customers give you a hard time but, name a place where they don't, right? Pay isn't that great which is why I suggest working here as a second job, if you are in need of one.
Pros
Employee discounts, flexible hours (sometimes)
Cons
short lunch break (half hour)
Very easy place to work at
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 22, 2017
Everyone there got along great the customer always leaves with a smile on Thier face .. I love when they ask me questions and I'm able to help them find what they need and when our trucks will come in with items they would like !!!!
Pros
Break room was great
Cons
Short break
Productive and accesible work times
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAOctober 10, 2015
A typical day at work at this store is very busy. In my experience at this store I have learned that no matter what you have to smile and be friendly with the costumers and to never argue with the costumer because the costumer is always right. With my co-workers I have learned that we are like a family. The hardest part of the day is that there are some clients that we have to have a lot of patience with because they offend or treat you wrong but you always have to keep calm and never argue with them. The most enjoyable part of the job is that when your give the costumer a good service you feel good about it and you feel like you are doing a good job.
Pros
You could get a higher postiton
Cons
The bad part is the low salary/payment
A good place to start off for a first job.
Stocker (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 3, 2016
99 cent only stores are vey good for first jobs, but for someone who is lookin to provide for a family they just dont work. The managment at the one i worked at was completely horrible and treated employees very unfairly and continually lowered and highered our hours unexpectedly.
Pros
Good employee discount
Cons
Not good managing
Decent people, and environment
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAFebruary 22, 2016
Did not expect my short stay, but it was great while it lasted. Worked right into my busy schedule. Would of liked a litle more in salary.
Pros
10% off on all purchases
Cons
Young workers donot understand what it is to be responsible workers...
Patchy
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Clarita, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Work was not solid, all over the place. Only one manager was kind. Workers are nice, customers were very rude. No trust in employees. I do not speak English, while everyone else did.
Pros
Cons
Very short breaks
I like managment
Lead Receiver (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 12, 2016
Start as soon as I clock in and remain busy for the rest of my shift. The people I work with are friendly and hard workers. There isn't anything hard about my job. Getting to work
Pros
co-workers, and the customers
productive and self sufficient when it
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 1, 2017
I enjoyed working there it definitely was a great experience and I learned a lot about organizing and giving great customer service keeping the shelves stocked in a orderly fashion.
Fun place to work
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CADecember 8, 2016
Its fun working here. Friendly people. Clean place. Help customers look for what they need. Flexible hours. Good envierment.
Friendly co workers
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAOctober 17, 2016
Temp job only not permanent
. replace employees monthly
Come in get material have a group meeting then pick a forklift check it then turn on head set select hiw many pallets u need for that order
Pros
Saturday off. over time
Cons
Temp
Great Experience
Yard Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAJune 17, 2016
Company has great opportunities to move up within the company.Great company to get experience. Overall I have enjoyed my time in the Company.
great for beginning workers to gather work experience
Order puller (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAJune 28, 2016
great company to work for. would definitely go back.you get plenty of hours and great lunches and breaks. definitely not a job for a lazy person
Pros
great work experience
Cons
nothing
Work at any other place...
Deli/Produce Worker (Former Employee) –  Poway, CAMarch 26, 2016
not worth a review. that terrible. there lucky they got this much from me. I worked my butt off and was treated like trash then let go for some weaksauce stuff.
Pros
interacting with the customers and some of your employees
Cons
To many to add. Terrible management, does not care for the employee and etc. really do to much and idc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at 99¢ Only Stores. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9