99 CENTS ONLY STORES

99 CENTS ONLY STORES Employer Reviews

Good environment, good place to work and mind your own business
Cashier and stocker (Former Employee), Arleta, CaAugust 8, 2014
A typical day at work involved being on the register, interacting with customers.
I was able to practice my Spanish more since most of the customers are hispanic. My co-workers were easy to get along with. Most of them were like me, we went to work and get our job done and keep relationships work professional.
Boys & Girls Club of Kern County
Cashier (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 27, 2014
Pros: the pros were the relationships and friendships you build with the kids
Cons: the cons weren't many besides when a child gets suspended.
A typical day at work would usually include a lot of interaction with the kids who are the member of the Boys and Girls club. Usually when we open the site the kids would check in at the counter and the be allowed to head into the game room to interact with the staff who are out on the floor. Ping pong, pool, chess, checkers, puzzles, and hula hoops – more... are usually what're distributed out to the kids as the day progresses. Around eleven in the morning the staff will call snack time before lunch and the kids will sit in their age groups.
After snack time the kids would then be allowed into not just the game room but also the gymnasium for a game of basketball, dodge-ball, or field hockey, and the computer laboratory to enjoy free online games that are monitored by another staff member. An hour later around twelve thirty staff will call for lunch and again the kids will sit in their age groups.
After lunchtime is finished the kids will be given announcements to any new activities that will be opening up withing the next thirty minutes or so and to continue enjoying their time. The children will participate in more constructive activities around this time besides the gym, game room, and computer lab, there is now the arts and crafts room where kids can do a number of artistic activities from drawing a simple picture to painting a youthful masterpiece on a canvas with staff supervision and permission. Sometimes if the canvas when completed is good enough it will be sold in an auction to raise more funds for the Boys and Girls Clubs throughout America.
At around four thirty the last snack time will be announced, and afterwards the kids now have all the rooms from the previous times to enjoy until their parents pick them up at the end of their day around six in the evening. I found that the hardest parts of the day were the snack times because the older kids do get a bit disobedient and then they continue talking while the staff are making announcements to distract the other kids and you have to figure out how to handle the situation without the children causing a scene.
I think the most enjoyable part of the day was time spending in a good game of Basketball in the gymnasium. The kids really love the games the staff host in the gym and it always made me feel good that I could be the attraction to the highlight in someone's day to make them happy. This is a typical day of working at the boys and Girls Clubs of Kern County. – less
99 cent store
Cashier (Current Employee), Yuba City, CAJuly 24, 2014
Pros: nice & friendly customers
Cons: the managers dont do anything
I clock in start ringing up customers, clean my register, bag items, stock shelves. at the end of my shift I get cashed out & clock out.
most people were great to work with
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Culver City, CAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: loved the fast pace
Cons: manager
You could never please the general manager no matter how well you did.She would never encourage always discourage. It made for a very stressful environment.
Great place to work with so much work opportunities.
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee), Calexico, CAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: short breaks, always packed
Love working at this store i have learned so much things here and i thank the company for giving me the opportunity to gain more work experience.
Fast Paced call volume
Customer Relations Lead (Former Employee), Commerce, CAJune 19, 2014
Pros: lunch parties
Cons: favoritism
Lots of work to do, high call volume. If there was a rainy day or slow day, there was always other activites or deadlines to do.
Teamwork and Multitasking and ability to work at fast pace.
Head Cashier (Current Employee), Vista, CAJune 11, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers, first to know whats good on sale
Cons: benefits, always dirty atmosphere, not enough cashiers
I have worked at 99 Cents Only Stores for 2 years good place to work at. A typical day at work consisted of being on the register, cleaning, stocking and customer service.They always worked with my schedule while i was going to college and they gave me the opportunity part of management as a Head Cashier and i took it. I learned a lot there like working – more... in a fast pace, being able to multitask and how to manage. My co- workers were always helpful, we all got along well and always worked as a team. The hardest part of the job was when the employees didn't show up to work, we would be short of employees and still have a lot of work to do. Overall i enjoy working there. – less
Stay away!!!!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), DallasMay 21, 2014
Cons: bad salary glorified merchandiser culture.
Stay away!!!!!
They do not use planograms so you are going to have to change a Isle at least 2 times depending on who sees it.
Depending on Location
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee), CAMay 1, 2014
Pros: very strong on ethics point
Cons: pay rate and rases are not that good.
99 Cents Only Stores came a long way. When I was working there, it was really tough, I worked about 60 hours a week, but the salary would not add up to the tasks given to us, or for the hours we where paid for, the company had got a lot of law suits over the years due to this matter .I believe things had changed drasically, and I believe these sort – more... of things dont happen anymore.

Most of the employees are Hispanic , I would say 75% of the associates that stayed working for the company were hispanic, Latino, or from El Slavador. One of the top customer complaint in this company was "Bad customer service" .When it came to customers asking for certain items, a lot of the assiciates would not know what the items were or undersood what they where looking for.They had offered trainging, and hired more carefully over the years which is a good thing. Over all, everyone has to work really hard, especially with stockers at high volume stores, they do make their moneys worth.

Most Caucasians or African americans would quit the job due to the work load, responsibilities, compaired to the job description. Most people say they can multitask at the interview but when they get the job things change. ex: If your a chashier, when your line of customers slow down, you might have to stock, sweep the sales foor, put gobacks back on shelves, pricing, fill balloons,clean the restroom, order batteries, fill the sunglasses rack, fold clothing, fill up the water section, fill up the roll of paper section. Its a great job if you want to stay active a grow, saying "I cant do that, because Im just a cashier" thats attitude is not taken quite well at the 99. You must have a self motivating spirit, and you cant be afraid to get dirty.

As a manager, you have to be full control of the store meaning, your parkinglot, your safe counts, sales floor appearance, window presentation, expired items , hiring , firing, promoting, training, scheduling, be able to do write-ups,ordering, making sure your key items are on the roll, produce section need to be in check, deli , frozen, the stores air filters, reporting lights, moving sections to make space for new items, monitor theft within and out of your store.You are fully accountable for everything, including making your own help, and developing a good team, the only problem is sometimes is that as you keep developing a great team member, they keep getting pulled away to support other stores that are weak in some areas. The expectations are very HIGH!

Benifits are great, They have 401K plans Dental, Vision, Heath plans for your family if needed, or can afford it. Im not sure if Stock Options are still available, that was one great option they use to have in the past.

Corporate offices is always helpful, the more people you know, the better, you have to be very resourceful, organized, and energetic. Most people that quit the company, always try coming back to re-apply and most of the time your application will not be accepted, unless you have great skills the company would benefit from, depending on the district manager, and your relationship with the company.

99 Cents Only stores grow every year, they keep opening stores left and right, I say the knowlege is great in this company, I say if you need a job now? they would hire you, the rest is up to you if you want to stay or leave.....Its a great stepping stone job.

I myself is African american, and a father to two half hispanic boys, by no means any of my opinions where aimed twards any race, I was just telling it how it is.
Thank you! – less
long hours but great employees
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Whittier CaApril 22, 2014
worked lots of long hours but i enjoyed the employees that worked under me
A Very Good Learning Experience
Stocker (Former Employee), Victorville, CAApril 15, 2014
It was always busy, especially when the company had sales and in the holidays
Difficult environment
Risk Management (Former Employee), Commerce, CAApril 8, 2014
Pros: located in los angeles area
Cons: poor management
A lot of nepotism.
Difficult management
Large company run like a mom and pop shop
Stringent, odd work environment
Fun
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee), Murrieta, CAMarch 3, 2014
Cons: short lunches
Open and count register front and face items on assigned isles and count and close registers at end of shift.
worst place to work
Stocker (Current Employee), Las VegasFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: lots of work
Cons: no raises
the reason that I wrote that is that the upper management don't care about their employees. all they care about is getting the product out.
Good company
Sr. Delivery Manager - IT Solutions Delivery (Former Employee), Commerce, CAFebruary 14, 2014
Company was in a lot of transition at the time I was laid off. With the new CEO in place for several months now things are settling down.
Satisfying during its time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: weekly paydays
Cons: management not effective because it varied from store to store.
Any day could start from 2am til 3pm. Its long days, fast paced, always challenging and never boring.
Tough but good place to work for experience.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Fremont, CAJanuary 29, 2014
This seems to be a tough place to work for many individuals, but it gives you a lot of experience in many retail fields. That is if you can pass the probation period or wiling to work there
A very productive work place
Cashier/floor associate (Former Employee), Salinas, CAJanuary 8, 2014
A typical day I would operate a cash register. I would receive/exchange money. I would process payments via cash/debit/credit. I would greet and assist customers on what they were looking for. I would answer phones as well and restock shelves when needed.
Excellent company to work at.
Company Legal Assistant & Notary Public (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: free luches, long breaks
Cons: company never took our considerations to improve certain areas to minimize claims/lawsuits
1.- Arrive to the office already knowing the projects that needed to be done and continue minimizing the claim rates & settling cases to the minimum cost possible.
2.- I learned what I loved to do which is the defense side of the litigation processes.
3.- Able to manage and tackle all unexpected project while supervising the office assistants & my work – more... load.
4.- Love supervising the office assistants by teaching them new skills and procedures to expedite the workflow and for them to learn what we do in our working position.
5.-The hardest part of my job was to be able to deal with individualism created by other departments. If we all share & collaborate together; we could minimize the expenses of the company and maximize its profit.
6.-The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my legal department team. From the chief legal officer to our entry level assistant; we made sure that we were like our 2nd family. (because we had to spend half of our days working & interacting with each other.) – less
ok
Front-end Management (Former Employee), Clovis, CADecember 30, 2013
great co-workers
No work life balance
Corporate office out of touch with stores

1 2 3