99 CENTS ONLY STORES

99 CENTS ONLY STORES Employer Reviews

Very stressful job.
Stocker (Former Employee), Maywood, CAFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: friendly coworkers.
Cons: stressful, little break room, too much work in so little time.
Every day was stressful in the warehouse simply because the warehouse had limited space and the stocker's job was to break pallets of merchandise inside the warehouse and then later stock the merchandise. It was almost impossible to do this because of the limited space in the warehouse and in the five hours they'd give you a day.
Ok place to work for part time workers or students
Night Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: people and hours
Cons: money, time, and benefits
Decent place to work, people are nice and motivating but the paid is bad and the advance options are not many. Other than this its a good place for all college students who need part-time jobs.
Lack of Knowledge
Store Manager (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAFebruary 11, 2015
Cons: no time for breaks
The way of Training is bad, no one gets Trained correctly. They do Not show you the Way they want their company to run a Successful Store. Basically you got to run the Store your own style and way. The problem is the Lack of Experience they give you while being in Trained.
friendly work place
cashier/stocker (Former Employee), san bernardinoJanuary 23, 2015
I enjoy working for this company, because this company gives you room to grow within the management team. Because of this company i was able to gain ew skills. The best part of this job you gain so much experience with customer service because you focus in providing excellent customer service.
Good for a first job...
Cashier (Former Employee), Sanger, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: work with schedules
Cons: horrible break room and warehouse
I have my ups and downs about this job. But it is a great way to get your cash handling experience in which is well to have. Not the BEST of management or uniform policy but it is well. I don't have anything more positive things to say.
When family owned was a GREAT PLACE
HR Manager / Benefits Manager (Former Employee), City of Commerce, CAJanuary 16, 2015
when family owned this business you worked had but they paid good and offered wonderful benefits. family feeling while you worked. working their was fun

when they sold the business - all changed. new owners did massive lay off and changed benefits.
new owers treated employees like numbers, did not get to know people. working there became like "ok, today I will get laid off" always looking over your shoulder didn't know what they would cut next and then add to your plate to cover and work.
A relax environment
Head Cashier (Current Employee), Signal Hill, CAJanuary 4, 2015
It was a relaxed job. Made calls, booked appointments. Everyone was really friendly. Overall a great place.
management was unprofessional.
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Lake Havasu City, AZDecember 9, 2014
for the first 8 months, i loved my job and all of my co-workers. i was training for a well deserved third-key position. my store location had 3 different store managers. the last one was unprofessional, treated all of the employees like they were worthless and didn't follow protocol. my life was threatened at work and she withheld my official report, which resulted in me being forced to resign.
beggining of life
Asst.Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 26, 2014
My first work.it was the most important part of my life.new lifestyle,new people,new environment,new money,At the beggining it was weird.but by the good people guidence it became nice,enjoyful,fun..i always wanted to learn new thing.i did it.i got my position
Growrh opportunity but you need to speak Spanish.
Store Manager (Former Employee), Mesa AzNovember 22, 2014
Pros: growth opportunity
Cons: nepotism dirty stores.
As a manager you will need to jump in and help. This is a discount retailer and therefore your staffing is limited. Great opportunity for young people to get some management experience. But even as an assistant Mgr. your rate is only $10.00 an hour.55 hours a week is a minimum as a manager. But also know that about 25% of the year you will be on a 6 day 60 hour work week, due to Holidays, inventory etc.

For whatever reason the majority of their upper management and store staff is Hispanic. So if you don't speak Spanish you will be made to feel uncomfortable. Even though all employees are told to speak English while working. Had to tell my District Manager several times when speaking to him over the phone to slow down I can't understand you.

Nepotism is rampant so be very careful what you say, and who you say it to. District Managers and Regional managers need some serious harassment training. Was constantly amazed at what would come out of their mouths toward female employees.

Some stores are well maintained. But the majority are run down and dirty. And since no plan-o-grams are used you will often do a reset multiple times as what is okay for one person is not okay for the next.
Fun and very friendly enviroment
head cashier, stocker, deli and produce supervisor (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 4, 2014
Pay is ok and management is good all co workers are friendly everyone take a small job and makes it a big roll to make the store look great
Great job for students
Cashier (Former Employee), La Quinta, CAOctober 28, 2014
Pros: learn many skills
Cons: healthcare was not available then
You'll learn many well needed skills like customer service, cash handling and register operations, stocking, cleaning, etc. They are flexible. Hardest part of this job is trying not to spend your check and buying all there products. Fun learning and working experience.
Co-workers are very nice
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee), Placentia, CAOctober 17, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: not enough pay per hour
Liked working here, everyone was nice. The management wasnt so organized or professional at sometimes. I think the need to focus on whats going on more. They expect too much from one person and didnt really appreciate the hard work.
productive
Stocker (Former Employee), Chico, CAOctober 8, 2014
This position was okay, because it was fast paced, and I had lots to do.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sun Valley, CAOctober 5, 2014
Pros: job culture
Cons: flexibility
Typical Day: Greeting customers, handling large amounts of cash, learning different languages, cleaning, answering phone calls, working as a team with co workers.

What you learned: the different languages of the customers

Management: very understanding and friendly

Co-workers: We worked as a team

Hardest Part of the job: Leaving work because i am a workaholic

Most enjoyable part: Starting work
Room to grow.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Rowland Heights CaliforniaSeptember 30, 2014
I enjoy working for this company, because this company gives you room to grow within the management team. Because of this company i was able to gain management skills in running a store smoothly and responsibility. The best part of this job you gain so much experience with customer service because you focus in providing excellent customer service.
good company to work for
Store Manager (Current Employee), CaliforniaSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: management
Cons: long hours
good company to work for with a lot of growth opportunities, Above management is good very understandable.
productive work place with flexible schedule.
Cashier (Current Employee), Riverside, CASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
A tipical day at work would be me going in to work at 8am and being on the register all day and maybe helping stock the aisles when there is some down town. I also fill the cold refreshment refrigerators with soda, gatorade, and water.
Flexible schedule and advancement opportunities.
Head Cashier (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAAugust 22, 2014
I would assign cashiers to their registers and duties. I was responsible to maintain front end fully stocked and monitor check out lines. At the end of the shift I would cash out cashiers and assist closing manager on safe count. Make sure front end was clean and well organized.
Good environment, good place to work and mind your own business
Cashier and stocker (Former Employee), Arleta, CaAugust 8, 2014
A typical day at work involved being on the register, interacting with customers.
I was able to practice my Spanish more since most of the customers are hispanic. My co-workers were easy to get along with. Most of them were like me, we went to work and get our job done and keep relationships work professional.

1 2 3 4