A&W Restaurants Employee Reviews

Productive and fun helping customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJanuary 17, 2017
My typical day at work consisted of taking orders and handing out customers orders. I learned how to properly put customers orders into the register. My co workers were easy to work with and helpful when I didn't know how to do certain things. The hardest part of the job was trying to figure out which orders went with which receipt because the sandwich makers made the food out of order. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the customers satisfied with their orders and leaving happy as well.
Pros
Half off on lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Fun place to work
Carhop (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIDecember 31, 2016
In a typical work day, I did pretty much the same thing. I folded sheets and towels. The management was really nice, and my co-workers were easy to get along with. The most enjoyable part of my job was that I got to help whenever and wherever it was needed in the business. The hardest part of my job was that I did not really interact with the customers much.
Pros
Free Lunches
I don't know what to say.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Port Orchard, WAFebruary 24, 2017
Management is kind of messed up. They play favorites. Other employees make their own cliques and exclude any outsiders they don't like. Certain people get special treatment. A few of the employees here spread a lot of gossip about other people and don't get punished for it.
Pros
free food
Cons
rude employees and rude customers
Fun job. Bad management
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAMarch 19, 2017
I enjoyed working there alltogether. I enjoyed being on grill and doing the fryers. I liked being out front on cash the most and cleaning. I did not like the lack of compasion for the job alot of my coworkers had.
Pros
50% off during break, right brfore work or right after
Cons
Healthcare, first aid. Training.
Hostile Environment
CREW MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDDecember 17, 2016
I usually ran the kitchen, but on occasion I worked on the registers. Management would hire friends and family, then proceed to make decisions in their favor. I always tried to avoid everyone and do my own thing because no one could ever get along. The work place was always filled with drama and upset employees
Not very productive workplace from lack of communication
Cashier/ Server (Former Employee) –  Jefferson, IA 50129March 6, 2017
Many others did not help with the task. There was no real communication between managers and employees. Very immature atmosphere to work in. Many did not seem very cooperative.
Pros
50% off meal when working. 10% off when not on clock.
Cons
No breaks
Low quality staff and owner
Server (Former Employee) –  Grand Ledge, MIOctober 5, 2016
Never have I ever worked for an establishment so aweful. I worked for a&w for 3 years, rarely called in sick, and worked hard as a server to make as much money as I could. I put online that I wasn't getting tipped that well, even though I was giving my kindest and best effort to the customers, and the owner had the audacity to say I wasnt good enough. My friend has also been working there for 2 years and gave 100% everyday but got accused of seveal wrong doings that they have no proof of. This place is ran by people who play favorites, treat good employees with disrespect and minipulate them. If you want my advice, don't ever come eat here
Pros
Good food.
Cons
Slow drive thru, aweful management
Unorganized place of business
Customer Service/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNJanuary 9, 2017
This was a place that was too fulfilled with drama, people are always late, other workers are always being called in, the pay is horrible, never promised your hours, how people talk to each other- you would not know who is of management. Poor place to work.
Very well organized and friendly working environment.
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MINovember 13, 2016
A & W was a great experience. The job required you to do a lot, but it was great learning how to operate a fast food restaurant. The staff was very pleasant and the customers were always satisfied. Working for A & W was very productive and had a pleasant environment.
Pros
Breaks, Sometimes free lunch.
Excellent high school work place
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Logan, UT 84321December 15, 2016
I worked here while in high school and it was a wonderful place to work. I worked with kids my age, the boss was great to work with all our extra curricular activities, he is actually the best boss I've ever had. I also really enjoyed my fellow employees.
Pros
Discounts on food
Productive and active
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Stayton, ORMarch 8, 2017
I liked working here but at the time that I was employed I had medical issues and had to get them figured out. It was causing conflict between me and my job but my health came first. I had been fired due to missing work.
Pros
Long shifts
Cons
Short breaks, long shifts
Productive workplace, not fun to work
Worker (Former Employee) –  Fosston, MNNovember 19, 2016
I was only allowed to wash dishes.
No matter how long I worked there that's all I got to do.
Bosses granddaughter was unbearable to work with.
I don't like working with teenagers.
I liked my bosses, they were both great to work with.
Pros
discount on lunches, discounts clothes, free ice cream
Cons
teenagers
To much work for not enough pay
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 16, 2017
Ok job most employees were very youg hard to work with and hard to get them to work. Better training and more supervision would help. Female employees left alone to work late hours with no security.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Worked late hours
Interesting workplace with unrealistic standards
Cook/Cashier/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Conrad, MTAugust 30, 2016
The management that I had been under is no longer there, but I had enjoyed working with her and some of the other workers. The typical days had felt prolonged and were not as enjoyable as it could have been. The back area was not as clean as it should have been and a lot of the closing shift workers were not very pleasant with the other workers or the customers.
Great first job
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Southgate, MIJanuary 11, 2017
A&W is a great first job and is a wonderful opportunity for high school students or collage student who need to have a schedule that works around their schooling.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No benefits or room for advancement
an ok place to work
class a tanker (Former Employee) –  FT Lopton coDecember 23, 2016
was a good place to work before they lost some big contracts and went into laying pipe for water instead of running trucks the last time i knew they didnt have a lot of hours of class cdl
Pros
good money and people
Cons
loss of contracts
Flexible scheduling and fun environment to work
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Albany, MNDecember 23, 2016
Typically days were busy with taking and preparing orders, prepping food, and cleaning the lobby area. I also would open and close the store, which included working with the money in the tills.
Great place to work as a high school student
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIFebruary 16, 2017
I learned plenty about customer service and preparing food, fast! I enjoyed a lot of my fellow coworkers and the customers. Varying shifts were helpful to fit my schedule.
Very productive and fun place to work
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 20, 2016
I had a great time working for A&W they treated me like family and went out of their way to make me feel welcome.It was a great learning experience and a valuable tool to advance to bigger and better things. I will always be grateful.
Pros
Free Triple Cheeseburgers!!
Cons
not enough hours
Bad combinations of coworkers
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Ripon, WINovember 23, 2016
Manager wouldn`t work weekends and left nights understaffed. Had occasional favorites that got more hours than anyone. Not a set schedule. Shortage of morning shift workers.
Pros
15 minute breaks
Cons
bad scheduling

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A&W Restaurants. Our community is ready to answer.