A H HARRIS & SONS INC Employee Reviews in United States

Small organization with great company cultur & bright future!
Manager (Current Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMarch 1, 2016
I started working for Harris almost two years ago. Came from a large corporation with a global presence and ten thousands of employees. Bit of a culture shock at the beginning, but in a good way. Harris used to be a family owned and run business, and even though that changed some 30 years ago, it still maintained that family feeling. People are proud to work here, committed and loyal. Even though we are spread out over 40 locations, there is this genuine feel of unity among the associates. We have annual company gatherings which are great occasions to mingle. Company leaders are accessible and open to new ideas from anyone. Turn around time for initiatives is much faster than in my previous roles. I work at the corporate headquarters, our President and CEO is two doors down the corridor and always has an open door & ear for anyone. My coworkers inspire me to be better every day. Its a competitive, yet friendly atmosphere. A lot of my team mates are involved with their local communities and we even have our own employee run charity (The Harris Fund), something that I find amazing. Management is flexible and 'keeps it human'. Hard work and dedication are getting acknowledged, awarded and appreciated (which again is something that cannot be taken for granted at larger organizations). The leadership team and owners are embracing technological and digital advancements, which makes my role even more exciting. We just celebrated 100 years in business and I cannot wait to see what the future holds.
A cesspool
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Rock Tavern, NYMarch 18, 2015
The branch i worked for was in Rock Tavern, NY. Excluding the warehouse supervisor, Co workers were very obnoxious, rude, very disrespectful to the manager and were always cursing at him. Everyone that was working in the warehouse was straight out of prison, stuff was being stolen from the store that was part of the warehouse. One of my own tools was stolen the first day on the job, the manager himself had a really dirty mouth and he would leave work numerous times through out the day. The pay is terrible as well as the benefits. While being active duty and currently being in the reserves and coming from mentors and other great leaders around me in the military that taught me how to push and work hard and be aggressive, i was so disgusted with the way this branch was run. I also believe my aggressiveness towards my consistent hard work intimidated a few LAZY people so they eventually ended up letting me go. I was told i am being let go because i was late to work a few times even though i would call about why and when i would be late. Stay away from this branch. Im gonna assume that the other branches are different but who knows.
Pros
the hours and weekends off.
Cons
everything else.
safe courtious and team-orienated workplace.
cdl truck driver (Current Employee) –  new haven ctMarch 17, 2013
Best company Ive ever worked for. From the ceo and president down to branch managers the overall work enviroment is excellent. they are very generous with salaries and vactions.
Pros
nice trucks and great co-workers
Cons
none .
Good company to work for.
Truck driver (Current Employee) –  Conn.January 22, 2013
Have worked for AH Harris for almost 20years as a truck driver. I have always been treated fairly, And enjoy working with other team members. Management, Sales, Warehouse and Forming dept. You'll be delievering to interesting job sites, and be at the front line representing the company. The custumers are easy to get alone with and friendly. If you enjoy driving, And construction. This might be the job for you,
Pros
new leased trucks, competive pay
Cons
slow in winters mouths, but no lay-off

A H HARRIS & SONS INC Reviews by Job Title