A World of Tile Employee Reviews

Long hours and low pay
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJune 22, 2017
Turn over is very, very high, explains why you have to buy your own shirts/BC.
This is my experience at my store. Little to no training, its "on the job". Honor and integrity are not common place. Remember this position is "commission". Your fellow sales people will take from you if you let them even managers. Management at my store lacked the basic fundamentals of the position. Could not even process financing app after being with the company for several years. Constantly gave customers the incorrect material and lacked any ability to function during high stress levels. No experience in management at all.
There are no systems in place, so location to location will differ in how it handles its day to day operation.
The company frowns on employees, at least stated to me at my location, to have two days off back to back, you will work weekends.
If you experience something unsafe or have issues withing the company, management and HR will not be of any assistance and you can expect blow back. Hard to witness if you have a background in management and sales.
At 6 months into company, most of employees at my hiring, gone.
Typical day. If no customers in store, sat around and watched netflix on computer, on smartphones. You can go an entire day and only deal with a handful of customers and you have other sales personal you have to share with. Great on Saturday if busy. If you are working the late shift, if new employee, yep. Can expect customers to show up and request their order out of the blue. You will need to locate and build the order... Don't forget the tile is heavy
  more... and hundreds of sq ft will add up. There is no guarantee that the tile has even arrived. There is no pre-planning for most orders. Do it for your customers, trust me.
Learned a great deal on tile and how to install. Made a couple of good friends.
But most of all, has given a amazing appreciation of what retail men and women go through from day to day to earn a living for their families.
Pros
Has insurance
Cons
work/life, low pay, poor management all levels.
Fun environment but equally stressful
Project Designer/Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 9, 2017
A World of Tile was a great way for me to gain even more customer service experience and allowed me to achieve goals at the fast pace that is suitable to me.
Growth company with a TON of upside!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 17, 2016
From top to bottom, this is an AMAZING company to work for! Senior Management team ALWAYS there for the employees. Improved processes and newly created positions make this a VERY attractive place for new talent! Good work/life balance. You really get to help design the perfect project for EVERY CLIENT!
Pros
Ceo, upper management, everyone cares about your personal success, newly remodeled stores are the look of the future
Cons
Lots to learn in a short time frame, need to be willing to work to make the $ that you want to make!
Sales Consultant/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZSeptember 7, 2016
I had the best manager/mentor in the company so my experience was a good one.

My concern was for making more money. You eventually will hit a point were you can only handle so many clients at one time. Your income is 100% commission with a draw if you don't make quota. So make sure you hit or you will never make it our of the hole then you will be let go.

You handle the sale from start to finish so you must be awesome with customers. You need to be very organized, on time, do what you say your going to do and be willing to work harder than you ever have before or you will not be successful in this position. You also need to build your orders and build the customers project on pallets and take inventory. If you don't work weekends you wont make any money. Be ready for 10+ hr days.
Pros
good solid company, good pay
Cons
long hours, work life balance is difficult, need more income options
Overpromises and under-delivers in support, ethics and pay.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  coMay 23, 2016
I loved my job and my customers... However, the business model is one that sets you up to fail even if you are good at sales. Your store manager is paid commissions same as the sales reps - creating a cutthroat environment. Essentially, you suffer for your success if you do better than your manager. Sales are taken and then you are thrown under the bus when their numbers are low, so that they can justify lack of sales by "having to help " with service issues. I worked for them for almost a year and a half, ran the store by myself on many occasions, sacrificed time away from my family and though I achieved sales person of the month several times and had consistently strong sales - I was fired - only to have the 40,000 in my book of business passed to the two new people who were inexperienced and therefore struggling. I saw 2 store managers fired and one quit during my time with this company - leaving the store understaffed and under supported by the DM. They do not appreciate that in order to achieve the 60,000 income, you must give over your personal life to do it (and then you risk your book of business) so that when you burn out they can feed the new trainees off of your previous HARD WON success! My customers loved me and I did my best to help them though the operational systems make it very hard to deliver the results they deserve - especially when understaffed! All they care about is sales at the top. the high turnover in managers and reps speaks for itself. They need a restructure in management and operations, including the pay structure - before  more... I would ever recommend this company to anyone , even someone I wasn't fond of!  less
Pros
Pay can be decent if you are a workaholic. no management attention
Cons
Burnout is imminent, lack of support, ineffective management, cutthroat.
Warehouse Crew are great !! Warehouse supervisor is some one you can work for
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COApril 25, 2016
This is an entry level position for a forklift operator , if you have been working in a warehouse environment using a pallet jacks to move product this is probably the best place for you to get your experience for forklift operating , the management is calm collective and the co workers are just the same ...!!!! The only reason I left is because of the pay ,
Pros
Great place to learn the trade
Cons
If you are an experienced operator the pay is entry level
Growth company with Great opportunities!
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZOctober 22, 2015
I joined the company over 2 years ago with great excitement about the company vision and the future growth opportunities. I can say that I have never lost that excitement. The company believes in recruiting the best of the best to execute the growth strategy. This creates a solid team environment where everyone has a voice. The senior leadership team has adopted a servant leadership model and understands how important each team member is to the success of the company. I enjoyed my time at AWOT and enjoyed the sales increases my teams delivered over these 2 years. I left the company to relocate back home to California to play an active part in our community. Unfortunately there is no presence in CA for AWOT.
Pros
Great Pay structure and promotability opportunities
Cons
Growing pains and Inventory sourcing
This company excels at selling pipe dreams
DESIGN CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 23, 2015
This is not a good company to work for if you are looking to succeed. From a store level there is a lot of cut throat antics with people trying to steal your sales. The company has a lot of tile options however they run out of stock, consistently, with the top sellers that takes months to get in as they come from all over the world. You are not given the proper tools to do your job and you're set up for failure. There is a long list of things that is wrong with this company and the saddest part is it could be a great company to work for but they have a lot of issues they need to figure out. The company has a goal of where they want to be in the next 20 years of business but doesn't actually have a plan on how to get there. I am not alone in having had a horrible experience working here.
Pros
Helping customers design their projects
Cons
Not having the tools to succeed, lack of ownership from upper management
Exciting, Challenging, and Rewarding
Operations (Current Employee) –  DenverApril 9, 2015
I have found the perfect work place for me. The management group is really focused on growing the business quickly over the next few years. The company is looking for the best employees and gives them great support and training. They are very dedicated to the success of each employee; as that is how the company will achieve its growth goals. The sales team has unlimited earning potential, and are rewarded for their performance. There is always a contest or promotion going on that provides additional rewards and keeps the atmosphere lively. When I go home, I have a sense of pride in how this organization helps our customers realize their perfect remodel project. Truly a 5 Star Company.
Pros
Supportive, Rewarded for Performance, Opportunity to Grow
Should be called A World of Terrible
Sales/Design (Former Employee) –  AlbuquerqueFebruary 9, 2015
From the beginning in the interview process they lead you to believe 60k a year is easily achievable (Don't buy it). The Company has an unbelievable turn over rate in the 11 months that I was employed our store had a turnover rate of 166%. The local store Mgr. was reasonable to work with, but they have absolutely no say in how they can run the store. Everything is dictated by the DM and Corporate without any firsthand knowledge of store accomplishments. I hung in as long as I did believing the culture might change at all times being constantly reminded that our numbers were never good enough coming from a DM that did not even have tile knowledge. The biggest reason for low volume is little foot traffic and the Company has no marketing or advertising to assist. If you enjoy long hours little pay and constantly being put down, this job will be great for you.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Work/life balance, Hours, Pay, Expectations
Don't waste your time interviewing!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 8, 2014
100 percent commission. Give me a break. You work all week long and owe the company at the end of the week.

Management is the worst! Flase promises.
Pros
Cons
Good for the 8 week training program as that is the only time you will receive a paycheck.
Horrible upper management with no business structure
Stock (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COAugust 3, 2014
Plan to always be under staffed. Upper management only cares about how much money gets to their pockets, they couldn't care less about the employees. You can never do enough to make them happy.
Pros
Cons
Horrible management, bad hours, discrimination
Wrong, Dishonest, and corrupt
Store Manager, Sales Consultant A World of Tile (Former Employee) –  COJune 19, 2014
I was terminated and still waiting for my last paycheck. I had 2 months over the previous years records and was promised a managers retreat to steamboat for 2 days of golf and dinner. Instead I was demoted due to a upper management personal issue and the new guy of 1 week was "grandfathered" into my golf package. So as the wicked step sisters went and played golf as a district. I handed them a 55% up month over last year and was FIRED ???? Apparently having great report and building a client base is detrimental to the fabric of the company. You tell me if you would want to work here?? The two best people I knew where awesome until one died of a heart attack in store and the other was fired for knowing too many people as well. Apparently when you spend years building up your own clientele you are expected to give it all away to some one with no experience or drive. If your new, I suggest you sit on a stool and let your manager hand you leads and money. If this all sounds crazy..... your right. Save your time and years of turmoil for someone else. The other guy was right on with the 100k / 60k plan It's a big carrot over the head plan. Never seen a company looking so hard for "A" players run by a bunch of "C" management. Everyone in this company is on borrowed time 7 managers in the past six months and a dozen in the past year, sorry I lost count of the employees.
Pros
Pay check looked good.....
Cons
Pay day looked bad...??? Why am I paying for everyone's short commings
Fun Place to Work
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJanuary 2, 2014
Friendly culture! Growing company that can provide a career track for Managers and Sales professionals. Great product selection exclusive to the Company. Employees receive a huge discount they have a great benefits package. Wonderful place to work if you want to grow your career and have an entrepreneurial mind set.
Pros
Work-Life Balace/Family Friendly
They fired me for being honest!!!
was training... (Former Employee) –  had to drive to Denver... May 14, 2013
RUNAWAY!!!! That's what I was told.... I was TOLD BY 4 people to runaway... And then i was terminated!!!!
Pros
nada.....
Cons
they dont even tell you the pay scale.....
Worst company to work for!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  AlbuquerqueApril 10, 2013
A world of tile always finds a reason to mess with your money. It is the blind leading the blind. They tell you that you can make 60k to 100k and that's a joke try 40k. They find every reason to not pay management there bonuses. Sales reps don't stand a chance making only 525.00 per week and if you don't make that in commission they make you repay them. Also corporate sent out an email asking everyone to write a review because they need a a certain number of stars to be able to post this job. So I say don't waste your time. Also they say its a great company to work for but only gave a $10.00 target gift card for Christmas. It was a slap in the face. They add it to the manager PNL. Everything you do the manager pays for.
Pros
awesome customers
Cons
upper management, district manager, pay, healthcare, long hours.
Awesome work experience
Sales Rep. (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, CO 80126February 8, 2013
I have been employed as a sales rep at a world of tile since December 8th, 2004. Awot has been one the best decisions of my life. As a naturalized citizen originally from Ghana, this was my first commission based employment. Secondly, i wasn't very familiar with the technical aspect of home decor and improvement. I even thought sq. ft means any square tile irrespective of the size(funny) huh? But i got all the training, coaching,encouragement, and the information i needed to succeed and make this place home. Awot has the best materials, competitive prices and superb customer service. I've built awesome relationships with contractors, homeowners and designers from all walks of life. And the most rewarding of all is getting paid what I'm worth. As a hardworking family man, this great company pays me what I'm willing to work for and I've been able to accomplish a lot of my goals here in the States as well as my Country of Origin. I recommend Awot to anybody is tired of getting paid the same as the slackers on your job!
Pros
flexible schedule.
Cons
stock not keeping pace with customers demand sometimes.
Great Company to work for!
Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  ColoradoFebruary 8, 2013
A World of Tile is a great company to work for. They genuinely care for their employees, and it shows. The compensation is very aggressive, and if you are willing to put in the effort you will reap the rewards. The team atmosphere is fantastic, and I really enjoy my coworkers. It's a fun job, we laugh a lot, share each others victories, and in general have a great time doing it.
Pros
great compensation, terrific incentive packages, fun atmosphere.
Cons
long hours and longish commutes (that all depends where you work/live)
A fun and competitive culture where your performance is reflected in your compensation.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, CO 80126February 8, 2013
A World of Tile is a world class sales organization. Competitive and, culture driven. Average reps can earn 60k plus annually. Managers can exceed 100k with the right behaviors.
Pros
always a fun well compensated contest going.
Cons
the hours may be long but, i can never find enough time in my day.
Great culture
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Corporate officeJanuary 31, 2013
A World of Tile is a great place to work. The owners genuinely care about their employees and we are constantly working to make this a great place to work.

This company cares about its employees and its customers. They want everyone to have a terrific experience and it shows.
Pros
work/life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at A World of Tile. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9