A. O. Smith Corporation Employee Reviews

A.O Smith is a friendly environment to be in on a daily basis.
Factory worker (Current Employee) –  Ashland City, TNJune 9, 2016
A typical work day for me is being at the line at six o'clock sharp ready to work. Since I've been at A.O Smith I've learned to be a better worker, to be in a fast paced environment,and being a good communicator with fellow co-workers. In our facility I'd like to say that our management definitely cares for their people, whatever we may need, whether it be about work or personal, they're there to help.The hardest part about my job is the heat that comes from the parts we make, we do alot of welding and some parts go through an oven type machine, the most enjoyable part would have to be the people i work with, they make the time go by very fast, and it makes work fun and easier.
Pros
Great pay, and benefits, good lunch food. helpful co-workers
Cons
short breaks, and its a far distance from where i live.
No support from Management
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ashland City, TNMarch 18, 2016
Management won't get the recourses to achieve daily goals. My department has been short staffed for over a year. We have to loan people to other departments.
Pros
steady paycheck
Cons
Work long hours.
management has made this place an awful place to work!
Journeyman A Industrial Repairer (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNAugust 21, 2016
This used to be a really good place to work before ao smith bought us. They don't care about the people, it's all about the money. They treat people like rubbish now, expecting more work for less money.

They are a company without morals although they will tell you otherwise. Everybody is looking to move on from this plant.
Pros
none now
Cons
more work for less money and more costly insurance is what the company's about now
Great company!!!
CSR (Current Employee) –  Ashland City TNMay 28, 2015
This is a very good company to work for. They really care about the customer in a multitude of ways. They have a large focus on training and continued education to always offer customers the best, and most accurate information. Team work and relationships are fostered, not just within each department, but throughout the company as whole. A friendly atmosphere is promoted and maintained. Up to date equipment and technology is available to help keep the company and the information provided cutting edge. Management listens to employee concerns more than expected in a corporation of this size. The benefits package revels any in the industry. The different schedules available make it easy for any family/person to work with. You actually don’t mind waking up and going to ‘work’.
Great job, but leadership is very unprofessional
CSR (Former Employee) –  Ashland CityApril 12, 2015
This is a easy job, but it goes beyond work function. When you have leadership who act like the children you help raise it pretty much makes you not want to work here.

A typical day at work would be to troubleshoot the water heaters but some callers are beyond rude. I got over the rudeness but my co-workers are the best part of the job because we know what we go though.

The hardest part of the job is actually getting help from leadership but they use a "chatter" IM system but usually get no response and get at us for not using the tool that they don't respond to.

The turnover rate is is worse than any job I've ever had, you can be a good worker and be let go because you're nothing to their liking.
Pros
Free meals for a week in training
Cons
Temp to Hire, Management, Hours
the employees are easy to get along with
temp (Former Employee) –  Ashland City, TNSeptember 11, 2016
typical day is a fast paced day depending where your at.

I really didnt learn anything there they place you somewhere and leave you.

management is really poor they refuse to help when its needed

the co workers are great real easy to get along with

hardest part of the day I will say is after lunch

most enjoyable part will have to be what it is that you make it
Pros
good pay
Cons
managment
The Conditions
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNMarch 6, 2016
This job was simple for the most part seeing as I boxed water heaters. However, management was not the best and job security was the worst. Truly I did not learn much here. The hardest part was work in the facility with no A/C, it was always extremely hot.
Pros
great pay, multiple breaks
Cons
management, job security
Management is destroying
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNAugust 18, 2016
This used to be a wonderful place to work, but current management is destroying the environment and morale of employees.
The HR department has totally lost connection with the employees. They have lots of long tenured employees, but see no value in them.
You can work there for a paycheck, but don't expect any more than that.
Pros
Lots of hours, decent pay
Cons
A very rewarding place to work with excellent management who care about the company and its employees'
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJune 27, 2016
I had a very educational and rewarding experience with A.O. Smith, a great place to work and the management is helpful and caring.
Pros
The company had sponsored events for employees, health aware, company sponsored lunches
Cons
Steel toe boots
Steady work with horrible management.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 12, 2016
A typical day at work consists of dealing with a boss that is unpredictable at best while managing to produce quality material. The working conditions are safe and clean. My supervisor is disrespectful and rude. The plant manager is nonexistent and provides no support to the facility.
Pros
Competitive wages and good hours.
Cons
Management is horrible.

Want to know more about A. O. Smith Corporation?

Ask a question
Awesome Place to work
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Ashland City, TN 37015September 21, 2016
Great company, Great benefits. Many perks with the job! Around the holidays they will give you a basket of goodies or a whole turkey. plenty of room for advancement!!
Great pay and benifits but....
Process Worker (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNSeptember 16, 2015
The pay and benifits along with the shifts are the only thing good about it. No room to move up and managment skills are lacking.
Unfair workplace
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNJuly 17, 2016
Managers are unfair pick and choose their click only. I've been there 10yrs with a degree and can't get promoted but so!some got a group leader position within 3days they are lazy
The employees create a great working atmosphere
Invoice Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ashland City, TNNovember 13, 2013
The work is very repetitive and quite boring, but the employees have a great way of making the atmosphere fun by decorating, cooking, and having parties. The best thing about being employed is that you get to take breaks any time you'd like. You can eat all day! You get a whole hour for lunch. And, of course, theres always room for promotions and you get very regular decent raises.. very stable working enviroment! Enjoyed working there.
Pros
parties, lunch-ins, ability to work ot, employees and management are terrific.. promotions and raises!
Cons
repetitive work, mandantory long hours at month end
High pace with high volume of work.
Transportation A/P, International Billing (Former Employee) –  Ashland City, TNAugust 12, 2015
Very fast paced environment with friendly people. Work volume was high, and employees did many jobs besides there own.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
No healthcare, or benefits
Productive and busy work.
Tow Motor Operator (Current Employee) –  Ashland City, TNOctober 24, 2012
A typical day at work starts at 6:00 am and ends at 2:45 pm. My forklift operator's job is to move product from one location to another location safely and securely. This is done through the manipulation of the forklift controls and toggles. This includes the loading or unloading of a trailer,or other storage unit. It is my responsibility to perform routine inspections on the forklift to ensure its safety and to ensure it is capable of performing the job required. My personal qualities are basic reading and writing skills. The hardest part of the job is making space for items where there is none and the most enjoyable part of the job is getting everything accomplished.
Pros
receive a safety voucher yearly.
Cons
health insurance premiums rise everytime i get a pay raise.
work hard to be someone
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  w.state street Bristol TnJanuary 2, 2014
Working for aosmith through Teleperforamance is a wonderful experience. A job that has great response to its employee's needs and a wonderful environment. At 9hr it was the first company to really take a shot and hire me, and they were not disappointed. Currently employed for a year I am already responding to emails/fax, esculation call backs, and doing my part to help new agents on the phone. I am also one of the few to be trained to handle special calls that require specific training to take. I have a healthy relationship with my supervisors and fellow agents in this fast paced call center.
Pros
on site vendors, game room, friendly enviroment
Cons
limited restroom times, raise program
CAD drafter and HVAC Technician
HVAC CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Tipp City, OHApril 13, 2016
Currently Regal Beloit.

Created CAD and BOM for electric motors for our assembly lines in Mexico to produce. Loved this job, I only left because I moved out of state. This company promoted from within and encourages employees to learn and grow.
Great hours, Several opportunities for advancement
Packaging, Installation, and Chemical Paint (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 16, 2014
AO Smith brought me on as a temp, and within 3 months I was full time with benefits. Its the type of company where little things like showing up on time everyday, relying heavily on hard work and low on excuses is rewarded. Constant job openings are posted with more then enough opportunities to move up. There was zero tolerance for anyone who was anything less then dedicated and punctual. Goals had to be met on a regular basis and sometimes that required staying late and putting forth extra effort, and you were most certainly rewarded for it. Water Heaters , Tanks , and Gauges had to be properly calibrated, tested , labeled and shipped properly with a slim margin for error.
Pros
great benefits, paid vacation
Cons
heavy lifting
running the ins and outs of a shipping and receiving office
Shipping Clerk/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Ashland City, TNOctober 24, 2013
- working on the AS400 program for pulling orders for dock workers, completing and locating inventory, completing all reprots to submit to management, vice president and president of plant and company
-who to run a ship/receive office accurately fast paced and new program (AS400) not used everywhere
-management was professional but made the enviorment entertaining to make a better work place
- co-workers were like family after working 12 hours a day 7 days a wk for 11 months
-hardest part of job was getting inventory located outside the plant at other warehouses shipped over to shipping docks to load for live loads and drivers waiting on t a time schedule they have to adhere to by state laws.
-most enjoyable working with management and learning more of the entire job and company to excel in my position and the diversity of drivers assisting nightly.
Pros
holidays off, over time available and the diversity each day
Cons
company changed ownerdhip, change over caused los of job, needed better benifits

A. O. Smith Corporation Reviews by Location