A. O. Smith Corporation Employee Reviews

The Conditions
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNMarch 6, 2016
This job was simple for the most part seeing as I boxed water heaters. However, management was not the best and job security was the worst. Truly I did not learn much here. The hardest part was work in the facility with no A/C, it was always extremely hot.
Pros
great pay, multiple breaks
Cons
management, job security
No support from Management
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ashland City, TNMarch 18, 2016
Management won't get the recourses to achieve daily goals. My department has been short staffed for over a year. We have to loan people to other departments.
Pros
steady paycheck
Cons
Work long hours.
A.O Smith is a friendly environment to be in on a daily basis.
Factory worker (Current Employee) –  Ashland City, TNJune 9, 2016
A typical work day for me is being at the line at six o'clock sharp ready to work. Since I've been at A.O Smith I've learned to be a better worker, to be in a fast paced environment,and being a good communicator with fellow co-workers. In our facility I'd like to say that our management definitely cares for their people, whatever we may need, whether it be about work or personal, they're there to help.The hardest part about my job is the heat that comes from the parts we make, we do alot of welding and some parts go through an oven type machine, the most enjoyable part would have to be the people i work with, they make the time go by very fast, and it makes work fun and easier.
Pros
Great pay, and benefits, good lunch food. helpful co-workers
Cons
short breaks, and its a far distance from where i live.
management has made this place an awful place to work!
Journeyman A Industrial Repairer (Current Employee) –  Johnson City, TNAugust 21, 2016
This used to be a really good place to work before ao smith bought us. They don't care about the people, it's all about the money. They treat people like rubbish now, expecting more work for less money.

They are a company without morals although they will tell you otherwise. Everybody is looking to move on from this plant.
Pros
none now
Cons
more work for less money and more costly insurance is what the company's about now
the employees are easy to get along with
temp (Former Employee) –  Ashland City, TNSeptember 11, 2016
typical day is a fast paced day depending where your at.

I really didnt learn anything there they place you somewhere and leave you.

management is really poor they refuse to help when its needed

the co workers are great real easy to get along with

hardest part of the day I will say is after lunch

most enjoyable part will have to be what it is that you make it
Pros
good pay
Cons
managment
Management is destroying
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNAugust 18, 2016
This used to be a wonderful place to work, but current management is destroying the environment and morale of employees.
The HR department has totally lost connection with the employees. They have lots of long tenured employees, but see no value in them.
You can work there for a paycheck, but don't expect any more than that.
Pros
Lots of hours, decent pay
Cons
Great job, but leadership is very unprofessional
CSR (Former Employee) –  Ashland CityApril 12, 2015
This is a easy job, but it goes beyond work function. When you have leadership who act like the children you help raise it pretty much makes you not want to work here.

A typical day at work would be to troubleshoot the water heaters but some callers are beyond rude. I got over the rudeness but my co-workers are the best part of the job because we know what we go though.

The hardest part of the job is actually getting help from leadership but they use a "chatter" IM system but usually get no response and get at us for not using the tool that they don't respond to.

The turnover rate is is worse than any job I've ever had, you can be a good worker and be let go because you're nothing to their liking.
Pros
Free meals for a week in training
Cons
Temp to Hire, Management, Hours
A very rewarding place to work with excellent management who care about the company and its employees'
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJune 27, 2016
I had a very educational and rewarding experience with A.O. Smith, a great place to work and the management is helpful and caring.
Pros
The company had sponsored events for employees, health aware, company sponsored lunches
Cons
Steel toe boots
Stable fun and exciting
Facilities Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Ashland City, TNJanuary 4, 2016
The 1000+ co-workers are wonderful, there is an awesome environment and culture here. The work is very rewarding and you will always learn something new. I know first hand that if you apply yourself you can grow in this company quite rapidly.
Steady work with horrible management.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 12, 2016
A typical day at work consists of dealing with a boss that is unpredictable at best while managing to produce quality material. The working conditions are safe and clean. My supervisor is disrespectful and rude. The plant manager is nonexistent and provides no support to the facility.
Pros
Competitive wages and good hours.
Cons
Management is horrible.
Great stable company,, Lots of overtime
Electronics Technician II (Current Employee) –  Ashland City, TNAugust 13, 2015
Worked their for three years and only got 10 weekends off. Work/life balance not good.
Lots of opportunity for advancement unless you step on the wrong toes.
They have monthly events for employees.
Most of the management is great.
Pros
Never had a lay off
Cons
no time off
Great company!!!
CSR (Current Employee) –  Ashland City TNMay 28, 2015
This is a very good company to work for. They really care about the customer in a multitude of ways. They have a large focus on training and continued education to always offer customers the best, and most accurate information. Team work and relationships are fostered, not just within each department, but throughout the company as whole. A friendly atmosphere is promoted and maintained. Up to date equipment and technology is available to help keep the company and the information provided cutting edge. Management listens to employee concerns more than expected in a corporation of this size. The benefits package revels any in the industry. The different schedules available make it easy for any family/person to work with. You actually don’t mind waking up and going to ‘work’.
Awesome Place to work
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Ashland City, TN 37015September 21, 2016
Great company, Great benefits. Many perks with the job! Around the holidays they will give you a basket of goodies or a whole turkey. plenty of room for advancement!!
Its all about the work team! Co-workers are awesome.
Customer Service | Transportation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ashland City, TNNovember 28, 2015
AO Smith is a good place to work if you value an environment where your co-workers are supportive and fun to work with. However, there is little room for upward mobility and a clear distinction between management and staff. Definite lack of communication and not good pathways for airing employee concerns. Pay is fair to poor.
Pros
Great co-workers. Family oriented.
Cons
Poor communication.
Unfair workplace
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNJuly 17, 2016
Managers are unfair pick and choose their click only. I've been there 10yrs with a degree and can't get promoted but so!some got a group leader position within 3days they are lazy
The employees create a great working atmosphere
Invoice Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ashland City, TNNovember 13, 2013
The work is very repetitive and quite boring, but the employees have a great way of making the atmosphere fun by decorating, cooking, and having parties. The best thing about being employed is that you get to take breaks any time you'd like. You can eat all day! You get a whole hour for lunch. And, of course, theres always room for promotions and you get very regular decent raises.. very stable working enviroment! Enjoyed working there.
Pros
parties, lunch-ins, ability to work ot, employees and management are terrific.. promotions and raises!
Cons
repetitive work, mandantory long hours at month end
CAD drafter and HVAC Technician
HVAC CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Tipp City, OHApril 13, 2016
Currently Regal Beloit.

Created CAD and BOM for electric motors for our assembly lines in Mexico to produce. Loved this job, I only left because I moved out of state. This company promoted from within and encourages employees to learn and grow.
Fantastic group solidarity and unit cohesion
Electrical Specialist/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ashland City, TNJanuary 12, 2016
Each day was met with individual challenges that were met with a group effort. The product of effective teamwork was exemplified on a daily basis. Each team member was reliable and consistent in their willingness to help anyone with any problem.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
driving distance and shift schedule
very productive
Assembly Line Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Corydon, INSeptember 12, 2015
I didn't get to work here long, because they thought I had more leadership in me than line work but had no opening for that. I loved working on the line with my coworkers. Most enjoyable part is when we finally rolled off 500 frames in one day (which was the first time ever) and management came out and shook our hands. Hardest part was saying goodbye.
An amazing place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, SC 29550February 4, 2016
I really enjoyed working at A.O. Smith. I learn alot. Although the position was temporary, it was a pleasure working with the organization.

A. O. Smith Corporation Reviews by Location