A.C. Moore Employee Reviews in United States

A Nice Place to Work
Custom Framing Manager (Former Employee) –  Apex, NCAugust 21, 2016
Co-worker and management are nice and treat all of the employees well. The employee discount is great and you can attend classes. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with quotas, plus moving boxes and cleaning can be physical.
Pros
Co-workers, Management, Employee Discount
Cons
Quotas, Physical Labor
Creative
Front End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 18, 2016
AC Moore is a place where you can be yourself and help others create art work.This job had a very friendly work environment. I would really encourage anyone to work for them.
Pros
Friendly staff, Promotion advances come quicker than most jobs
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Front Desk) (Current Employee) –  Seekonk, MAAugust 16, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of punching in no earlier than five minutes before my shift, then putting my things away in my locker. Then, I would go up to the front desk, and check what register I am going to be counted in to. After I am counted into my register, I go to the office, ask the manager on duty what there is to do. Sometimes I set planograms, put merchandise/returns away or check out customers at my register. I learned how to make and print labels and signs. I also learned how to work a scanner and build planograms. My co-workers range from workers who always have tasks to complete, to others who just stand at their register their whole shift. The hardest part of my job is trying to get enough hours a week and trying to stay busy and consistent with work. At my job, there are days where there isn't anything to do besides fix the merchandise around the store. What I enjoy most about the job is being able to communicate with customers and setting planograms.
Pros
Arts and crafts store, mellow pace environment, fun place to work
Cons
Management is racist/childish, not enough hours, always go unrecognized
Front End Specialist (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 4, 2016
If you are wanting to work part-time at ant company this is the one. Friendly employees, the job is face paced and easier to learn. Management is good about helping you in times of need. A good place to work.
Decent Temporary Part-time Job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Apex, NCAugust 3, 2016
Working at AC Moore is a pretty standard retail job. I'm a part-time sales associate, so my review pertains to that and not to full-time or salaried employees. I've been at AC Moore for almost a year, starting as a seasonal employee last fall and staying on with the company. I give the job three stars because I enjoy the people I work with, feel appreciated by most of my managers, and am thankful they started me out- even as a seasonal employee- at more than minimum wage. Specific to my location, the scheduling manager is very good about honoring requested days off and is willing to work with my schedule. I don't give the job a higher rating mainly due to rules and restrictions from corporate. First of all, this is the very first retail job I have ever worked that does not allow me to delete items in a purchase. For example, if I ring up a customer's purchase and then they decide they don't want one of the items or if the scanner accidentally scans an item twice, I have to call a Front End Specialist or a manager to delete the item. As you can imagine, this is very inefficient- especially during Christmas season- and it is absolutely my number one complaint. There are other strict rules, particularly their coupon policy, that is frustrating because if you follow it and the customer asks for a manger, the manager will come over and give them what they want, which belittles employees. Overall, it's a decent temporary part-time job that is helping me pay down some debt.
Pros
pay more than minimum wage for part-time employees, fun co-workers, scheduling manager flexible with hours and requested time off
Cons
corporate policies that make the job more difficult
Great place to expand your design ideas
Team Associate, Floral Arrangements (Former Employee) –  Secaucus, NJAugust 2, 2016
Co-workers were very flexible to work with, management not so helpful at the time of needing help from them.
Incredible environment to create and learn about new products, interact knowledge of product experience, etc.
Pros
Co workers able to cover in needed occasions
Cons
Short breaks
Ok
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 24, 2016
Good way to work from bottom to top. Meet new people great if you love being creative the atmosphere is kids an adult friendly.
Bad management and a lack of team focus
Sales Associate/Stock Worker (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAJuly 23, 2016
This job was the worst that I had worked, Management would rarely pull there weight and never had a mission focus. Employees constantly had no idea what management wanted completed and because of it the team suffered. We constantly had Regional managers visiting the store to try to understand why the numbers were low and why customers would complain about how they were handled by management.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Bad Management and a lack of focus
Great starter place to work
Seasonal and Part time Sales Associate/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 21, 2016
Most of the coworkers were friendly and easy to work with. It would've helped if some of the tasks were split fairly and more opportunity to work in more areas of the store instead of often stuck in one area at almost all times. Being the only person to stock jewelry every weekend also with the task of being the only person to tackle most of the maintenance along with customer interaction (no complaints for that) and then feel bad that you couldn't get all of the merchandise out on some weeks because you lose so many hours tackling other stuff where I could've gotten help with.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
pressured to finish task for a short time with no help, not much help with maintenance on weekends
Ok
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ocean, NCJuly 18, 2016
Not a company that recognizes skills. Not a very loyal company to its employees or manager. Just recently fired a manager that helped grow the company to save money.
Toxic environment, poor management
Custom Framing Manager (Former Employee) –  Downingtown, PAJuly 11, 2016
I started working as a seasonal employee in late October 2015. I moved up to managing the custom framing counter eventually. By June of 2016 I was worn down to absolutely nothing. Going to work was a chore and filled me with anxiety. Once the new quarter started, tons of changes and rules were passed down the ladder from corporate suits that are entirely disconnected from those of us on the ground. As a result, the added stress put on the GM and other MODs made the work environment go from the fun place I'd started in to a toxic and exhausting place to work. With full knowledge that a lot of us had loads of essential work to do, we were ordered to prioritize small and menial tasks instead. With 18 orders to check, a weekly performance review and a PSR to complete in my shortest shift of the week, I was ordered (given no choice) to run the kids craft table up until an hour before the shift ended. And they would get on OUR case for time management issues.

I'll keep the rest short in saying the customers could get away with anything, I.e. Using expired coupons, arguing the price of an item to the point of our managers giving it to them at pretty much whatever price they wanted, and verbally harassing the associates.

They are stingy with hours and pay. Plan for a second job if you want to make rent and bills happen.

Long shift? You get a half an hour break for lunch and a 15. Shorter shift? Just a 15.

The silver lining? I had excellent coworkers.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Literally everything else
Fun atmosphere
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJuly 11, 2016
Customer service above all and helping to create and inspire creativity with customers and others. Great employee discounts!
Pros
great fun work place
Cons
job expectancies vs. amount of pay
Great place
Truck Team/Backstock Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 28, 2016
Fun environment and stress free. Couldn't complain for what your getting. No one expects you to do much and you can just work as hard as you want .
Pros
Fun stress free
Cons
Part time only
Very crafty and interactive
Cashier Associate (Former Employee) –  Linden, NJJune 23, 2016
It's a very enjoyable company to work with as long as your able to operate amongst a variety of people and communicate well.
Best first job ever.
Frames Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 23, 2016
As an aspiring artist at the time, I joined A.C. Moore for the creativity flow. Was a part time position after school and I met many friends and amazing creative customers in my time there. Management was friendly, us coworkers were all friends in time that hung out even at work like at the bowling alley. That place really felt like a family.
Need patience to work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Davie, FLJune 20, 2016
While I enjoyed my time at AC Moore, in large part due to my interactions with coworkers and with customers, I wouldn't exactly recommend it for someone looking for a job. There is a LOT of work to be done and I had no qualms with doing it all - but the pay is awful for everything they make you do.

There are customers who are going to go out of their way to try to get you into trouble for merely following company policy - particularly pertaining to the coupon rule. Customers also tend to refuse to believe you don't have an item in stock, even when you look up the item on the scanners to check quantities after you had already checked the home and understock, and will get aggressive with you. And may God have mercy on you if you encounter a customer who doesn't speak English here in South Florida while you don't speak a lick of Spanish, because when I worked here we only had three Spanish-speaking associates. Language barrier is a definite hurdle to try to get over.

Freight is meant to be done within 24 hours of receiving the truck - which arrives at 5am and associates don't start until 8am, and only work truck until 6pm at latest before switching to recovery to clean up the store. Basically, freight needs to be completely done within ten hours.

Management - GM and AGM - are a joy to have worked with. The supervising managers (MODs, beneath GM and AGM) were mostly ok to work with, minus one who seemed to strive to make everyone's life miserable to make herself feel better.

Corporate is completely disconnected from its stores. Upper management (such as loss prevention
  more... and district managers) are snide, aggressive and unapproachable, and will terminate you for something petty - like coupon usage - rather than issuing a write-up as a warning and explaining the policy so you don't end up violating again. To them, you're just a number. It doesn't matter if you're a stellar employee or someone who doesn't put forth any effort - you're all the same to them.

Warehouse in NJ is atrocious and seems to throw whatever pleases them onto the truck, so stores end up with obscene quantities of one particular product that never even sells while products needed are difficult to replenish. Once received a giant box - approx. 2ft. by 2ft. by 3ft. that held absolutely nothing but a single lonely Scotch tape dispenser - which someone in the warehouse clearly threw together for a laugh.

Registers are easy to learn - but first pin-pad transactions of the day on each register can be painfully slow as the computer "wakes up" to begin processing transactions for the day. Expect to be on here frequently, as you'll get called up if there's a line of three people.

30-minute lunch breaks for working at least 6 hours, unbroken. 15-minute breaks for those working shorter shifts. 20% employee discount. Strict uniform - must wear the designated AC Moore t-shirt and black pants, with completely plain black shoes.

Work here at your own risk. Turnover is incredibly high - around 70% of new hires at this location don't make it to three months because they either quit or are fired. It's fun at first until you get worn down, particularly if you are there for two and a half years. Patience is a must, no room for advancement, and you won't get paid what you actually deserve.
Pros
Employee discount, coworkers, neat products
Cons
Corporate, upper management, wages
Not so bad
associate (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 15, 2016
There are many good workers and it is enjoyable to work with them. Customer Service is a huge part of the job and dealing with certain situations is important to know. Hardest part of the job is scheduling, no one is ever happy with it. The best part of the job is connecting with customers and making them happy even if its only for five minutes.
Cons
Can't have water at register
Too many changes
Management (Former Employee) –  NJJune 11, 2016
Was a Great company to work for, lots of hard work but it meant something, up until this year.

New upper management, lots of people from corporate leaving. New guy in charge who doesn't understand the crafting business. The RVP who knows more about the industry and anyone else in the company gets screwed.

New guy decides to run the company like his past company and doesn't realize that it doesn't work that way. No hours for the stores, yet they expect tasks A , B, C and so on completed. Rewards card sign up being used to rate how good a store is vs how operationally sound a store is run.

Owner is very family focused, however not sure if he is even aware that employee morale is at an all time low. Turnover is now being said to be OK and managers/employees are threatened daily . Told change is hard, but this isnt a positive change. Part time employees who WANT to do a good job, are starting not to care. Full time , including management, are starting not to care.

Customers get whatever they want, even if its over the top wrong,and if they complain its the employees fault for following policy. then the management gets threatened because the stores arent making enough money
Pros
Fellow employees, discount
Cons
new management, no hours, people not put first anymore
Great Part-time job
LOGISTICS SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEJune 6, 2016
A typical day at work: updating planograms, marking items out of stock, filling special orders, cash office duties, supervising team members and cashiers, running register, and customer service.

Learned: Multitasking, customer service, setting planograms, management, highlighting products for maximum profit.

Management: the GM and AGM work efficiently.

Co-workers: nice, poor workers, manage time poorly, priorities out of place

Hardest part of the job: lack of communication and organization

Most enjoyable part of the job: constant work flow
Pros
expierence
Cons
This company does not support their workers
Was the best Job I had
Seasonal Cashier/Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJ 07012June 1, 2016
I truly did love this job even though it was Seasonal Sadly. I was given decent hours even though some were late night which I did not mind. The people were great some of the nicest people I ever met. The teamwork there was great everyone was willing to help someone else in order to get the job done.

2.7