A.C. Moore Employee Reviews in United States

Basic retail at its core.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 1, 2016
A.C. compensates their management team well. However, there is very little opportunity for anything above base salary. Advancement above the General Manager level is nearly impossible. Their is a family culture that is spoken and preached, however, it commonly does not line up with direction of company. As a GM you are responsible for all aspects of the building.
Pros
Personal Business impact, Salary, Type of work, Customers, staff members
Cons
Constant changing direction, Stress due to poor corporate planning
Good place to put skills to work
Merchandise Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Matthews, NCApril 4, 2016
Ive always loved shopping at A.C Moore because of their variety but working there? The management was just straight up unethical, they don't care about there employees unless you are a "favorite". Many associates were just rude when asked a question. Many customers though are truly amazing and so nice and no matter how many customer compliments were given towards you, managers just do not care. The time i was there i barely really saw a manager actually working unless someone walked up to them, EVERYTHING was left for the employees to do.
Pros
Discounts, Pay, Hours
Cons
Rude people, Management is unethical
Productive workplace
Sales associate/Cashier, September-Current (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYJanuary 10, 2016
The Customers are wonderful, and the employes are great too.It's some of the management that has some issues. I loved working with the other's and they were very helpful. A normal day is cashing into your register, helping customers and ringing them out, during the holiday's you are required to set up and take down pogs and plannagrams, your also given chores for closing which includes cleaning the floors or bathrooms taking out the garbage or bringing in the carts. It's not a hard job and the pay is decent, how ever they arent really willing to work with medical issues.
Pros
meat great people and friends. Very open and wonderful people.
productive and fun place with many exhibits of products
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, NJDecember 5, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company, my co-workers were not only fun to work with but it was enjoyable to swap craft ideas during the day. I learned what it took to be in a management position and to oversee 8-10 registers everyday. The hardest part of the job was trying to correct a transaction done by another and satisfy the customer time wise with long lines. I learned to treat every customer like a guest and you were the last person the customer saw before they left the store. I loved everything about this job, it was fun and in being fun it was enjoyable to go to work everyday.
Pros
great co-workers, craft idea's everyday, knowledgeable management
Cons
it took 45 minutes to drive to work, and longer with snow and ice
healthplan
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Wappingers Falls, NYDecember 30, 2015
Enjoyed my job. Looked forward to new challenges in re-tail. Loved helping customers....made lots of friends. Assoc. hard working and dedicated to store. Overlooked by management.

plan-o-grams can use better placement. Buyers need to understand and ,know what sells in which state.[tend to over buy] Management to rigged----need to lighten-up be more open to suggestions from associates, also they need to brush-up on manners.

It's the last one on the totem pole that keeps the CEO on top....they need to remember that.
Pros
fun/customers
Cons
poor marketing skills/poor choice of store manager
Fun place to work, but I spent most of my paycheck there!
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYAugust 6, 2015
A.C. Moore was a fun place to work because you are surrounded by things that inspire you and people who are telling you about their craft projects. There is also a wedding department and you will meet a lot of people planning baby showers or weddings who will look for ideas from you. There are a lot of parents and grand parents who come in looking for activities and crafts for youngsters, too.

The day was always busy, either stocking shelves, or helping customers. I usually worked part of the day on the register. There is usually someone who wants to argue about the price of something so it helps to be very patient.

One downside is that since only managers are allowed to do overrides of transactions and it seemed at least several times a shift I'd have to page a manager for assistance. Oh, well. The other downside is that the job only paid minimum wages.

They DO give a good discount so I ended up spending a lot of my salary on crafty things!
Pros
Very creative environment, always working with inspiring things
Cons
low wages, not a whole lot of opportunity for advancement
poor management
Sales Associate (part-time) (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 21, 2016
Whatever the customer wants, the customer gets. Reduced pricing when customer complains, using multiple coupons for 1 transaction, making cashier ring up several transactions for 1 person so they can use multiple coupons, giving 15% teacher discount for person who's only teacher id says "staff" and the only thing they're buying is $100 worth of beads and jewelry making products to sell at the next craft show. Hours vary from 35 during Xmas to 15 hrs. in the spring-summer. Co-workers are awesome for the most part. some are my best friends. Customers range from smiles and hugs to people whistling for your attention or snapping their fingers at you. Pretty much treat you like dirt. Been there for 5 years and making a whole $8.00 an hour, no vacation, no sick time, no holiday pay. The only reason I'm still there is because I love my co-workers.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
just about everything. Read my comments
Fun place to work too many managers
Front End Supervisor/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 29, 2016
I worked there for several years. Every 6month there was a change in management and there was usually about 5 different managers at one time. All had a different opinion on how things had to be done and no matter what you did you never did it right.
Asst Store Manager
ASSISTANT GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  York, PAMarch 28, 2016
open / close the store with 3 to 10 employees....working with sales, stocking, merch, and design....control over money, P&L and safe reports. part of hiring, and promotions..teaching and training was a big part of job, along with guest interaction.
Pros
custom gift dept.
horrible pay rate
replenisher, picker, receiver, inventory (Former Employee) –  Berlin, NJAugust 17, 2015
The pay rate is terrible. I worked the 2pm shift at the warehouse in Berlin, NJ. For all the heavy machinery that we have to operate the pay rate is only $9.50 an hour. I was there for close to two years and the only raise I received was moving from a temp to a permanent employee, and that was only .25. No real incentive except a 25% employee discount, great if you are a crafter.
Pros
25% employee discount
Cons
overworked, underpaid
Didn't like working there
Sales and Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Salem, NHMarch 31, 2016
This company doesn't offer more than part-time positions unless you're management. Friendly coworkers and customers, but subpar management.
Pros
Scheduled breaks
Cons
Only offer part-time positions
Creative and relaxed atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 18, 2016
A typical day at work depended on which day of the week it was, On truck day, the day is spent putting freight away throughout the store. Other days involved helping customers look for products, or suggesting items to help with their projects. Sometimes I was able to create floral items for sale, which I enjoyed the most during my employment here. The manager was hard working, and very knowledgeable about the products that her store carried. The hardest part about the job was locating items not familiar to me, even though it was fun learning.
great work enviornment, and coworkers
Front End Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hyannis, MAOctober 15, 2015
great co workers,
management top notch
salery min.
part time no bennifits
mondays are stock day, best part of the week.qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
Pros
20 discount
Cons
part time all associates, no benifits
creativity, hard work at time with inventory, people fun
Craft Department Head (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 23, 2016
On shipping days you would unload and stock shelves with merchandise could take up to 3-4 hours. Helping customers with new creative ideas. A typical day, start I'd always be early and then count money in draw to make sure you are set for start time. Check out customers as a cashier, answer phones. Co-workers, for most didn't have problems with... got to know them more when I wasn't working there. Turn over was big time, not sure why. my reason for leaving was medical.
Pros
I liked doing things with crafts and getting new ideas.
Cons
No healthcare.. wouldn't have enough hours to get it.
front end supervisor
front end supervisor (Former Employee) –  paSeptember 9, 2015
Love working with the public. Love my job in general. Mgmt doesnt stick to company policies. They tell you to follow policy then when a customer complains, they give in and make you look like an idiot. Mgmt has no heart or feelings for family life. Company doesnt care if you need extra time off for child's illness even after working there for 15 yrs. A lot of drama with mgmt involved. Mgmt talks about other employees behind they're backs. Company takes benefits from employees but gives more to customers. Company doesnt trust employees. Started out here very family oriented company, not anymore. Company used to care about their employees and their families now its all about the money.
Pros
friendly customers for the most part, decent pay for retail, not open on major holidays
Cons
No respect, mismanaged, does not listen to employee suggestions
Arts and Crafts store.
Front End Supervisor/Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJanuary 15, 2016
I worked the customer service desk and was a front end supervisor. During the day I would take care of customer needs and helped any other employees at their registers. I interacted with the managers throughout the course of my work day and at night I would help count out the registers. I also counted the safe when the store closed with the manager on duty. Hardest part of my job was balancing time between helping customers and employees that needed my help at the same time. I always helped the customer first but it helped me learn how to balance my time correctly.The most enjoyable part was interacting with and helping customers.
Everyone very polite and friendly. Managers, coworkers and customers all respectable people.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYMarch 2, 2016
I enjoyed my cashier position at ACMoore Arts and Crafts. It was a good experience because I helped very pleasant customers as well as very cooperative coworkers. The manager's were very professional as well as informative about training and procedures in the store. I learned a lot about the different types of crafting.
Pros
complimentary lunches at times
Cons
short breaks and interrupted lunch breaks at times
Was great until new management.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJMay 6, 2016
Super flexible with your schedule. The customers can be kinda rough sometimes (Entitled suburban moms, rude old ladies, creepy middle-aged men). The other employees are really great, and pretty much all (except for a select few) the managers are so wonderful. There was a management change recently that made it impossible to stay. It's awful, and a true shame what they have done to this once wonderful company.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Poor management, bad pay
Terrible management with no room to move up!
Front End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vestal, NYMay 16, 2016
The worst company I have EVER worked for! The manager is very rude not only to staff but to customers as well. He has his favorites. No room for advancement and no full time positions available. The pay is terrible even for some people who are higher up. The staff and customers are great, management not so much. The manager does not value his employees what so ever.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Everything else
Loved working there
Head Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Binghamton, NYFebruary 23, 2016
I have worked for AC Moore for almost a year now, first as a front end specialist and then as the full time custom framer. I work in one of the top stores. My manager is phenomenal as well as my district manager. The pay could definitely be a lot better. I am leaving because I want to move up but there are no positions available. It's sad, I love Pepe's goals for the company and what he does.