A123 Systems Employee Reviews in United States

Productive, but no way to advance.
Production Operator 2 (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MISeptember 14, 2015
We usually would just come in and get started right away. Some times there would be a meeting, other times not so much.

I've learned how to be a team player.

Management is sort of an unknown since we hardly see them, but when we do see them they usually have an upbeat attitude.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Poor communication, no incentive to want to stay
real nice clean place to work for
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 15, 2015
I like working for the company but I need a better company to advance myself and to get raises within the a company. I like the people that I work with. this place is a easy company to work for as long you show up for work and do your job correctly. Very clean place to work for.
Pros
not sure
Cons
short breaks and no raises
no money
Production Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIMay 8, 2015
Company has not made a profit since they open in 2010 but they gave management a raise every year.They work off the buddy to get promoted. Made the employees the low man on the totem pole
Pros
Cons
never was happy
I enjoyed my job and the teamwork of my department.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIDecember 5, 2014
A typical day at worked consisted of me arriving thirty minutes before the shift to set the machines. I checked my email to review the shift notes from the previous shift on how the machines ran, maintenance to see if there were repairs made or quality alerts from IPQC Lab. I then checked to see that all necessary paperwork for the operators was present. There was a meeting at the beginning of the shift to relay any pertinent information. Any where from two to four hours into the shift I would go around the department and conduct a layered process audit.
I learned that every situation is different and needs to be treated as such. Also that if there is a clear understanding of what's expected of people and what needs to be done it's easier to get everyone on board and execute.
Management was available to all the employees.
My coworkers were awesome. Everyone was committed to getting the job done.
The hardest part of the job was not always getting the proper support to complete a task.
The most enjoyable part of my job was a sense of accomplishment with each day knowing that I gave the day one hundred percent.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
miscommunication
Dynamic Environment
Prototype Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIOctober 13, 2012
This company offers very competitive, if not uncommon, benefits, and their policies toward employees are in the best interest of the employee, but there is little room for advancement if you do not possess a college degree. Most of the technical work can be trained to anyone without prior experience, but instead they choose to outsource, or they advance persons just because they have a degree, even if it is not remotely related to the field or profession for which they are applying. The environment is very "fraternal"; those employees not a member have little prospects for future progress.
Pros
great lunch atrium, excellent benefits, specially vacation time
Cons
little room for advancement
Young company with a bright future
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Romulus, MIJuly 13, 2012
Typical day at work would include reviewing emails, notes, and other information regarding the safety, quality, and production events from the previous shift. The management team is very young and inexperienced. The toughest part of my job was diciplining a good worker when they violated company policy. The most enjoyable part of the day was reviewing and reporting the productivity and quality levels that we achieved during our previous shift.
Pros
close to home, good health insurance, advancement opportunities
Cons
compensation/hours ratio, rotating door in upper management
Internal Process are beening developed.
Sr. Supplier Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 25, 2014
A123 is a young company, and their primary source of success is totally depended on the people. All internal process are in different stages of being development which makes the work environment difficult. Pay compensation has been stagnate. Benefits have improved from last year.
Pros
if you like responsibility, this is the place to be
Cons
i haven't had a manager since i hired in.
Great and enjoyable company to work for.
Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIMarch 25, 2013
Overall rating* 5

Compensation / Benefits 5

Culture / Values 4

Job Security / Advancement 3

Management 3

Work / Life Balance 4

The following errors occurred:
•Review Summary is required.
Pros
good health insurance, nice breaks, good pay, good working environment
Cons
my position was terminated for unknown reasons
Very Demanding job
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MINovember 27, 2014
A typical day is standing on your feet for 12 hours straight with a 15 minute break and 30 min lunch
I learned how to operate CNC Equipment
Very Demanding
Co-workers are great
Standing all day
The pay
Pros
good benefits
Cons
standing all day
productive workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MISeptember 16, 2015
Working here was a good experience. Sometime politics and favoritism was shown by employees and other managers! i really didn't agree with it.
prodution opp
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MISeptember 16, 2015
This was the temp agency to start at A 123 after working them for a probationary period I was than hired directly by A-123 as a full time employee.
Pros
Challanging
Cons
Not enough hours
Start up feel but limited future
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 5, 2013
Project success was highly dependent on team members ranging the entire gamut. Some managers are easy to work with while others are notoriously difficult. Many of the engineers and technicians are willing to go out of their way to help on a day-to-day basis.

Company recently filed for bankruptcy protection, and the stability of a future is somewhat up in the air.
Pros
good fringe benefits
Cons
unstable
Struggling to adjust to new ownership and lower than expected new business.
Sr. Commodity Manager (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAApril 1, 2013
Recent Chapter 11 has caused adjustments in work force and cuts in work-life benefits. Times will be tight into 2014 as the company tries to recover business. New owner should provide some stability financially during this time.
Great place to work at
RECEIVING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIMay 11, 2015
The typical day begins with loading the trucks with Dunn age for the Romulus facility. Shortly after that review the dock area for overnight shipments that may arrive then start adjusting inventory according to quantities on hand and packing slips of material received. The rest of the day is receiving material, unloading trucks, verifying packing slips, verifying material condition, affixing labels, and move items to warehouse. And then file documents upon completion of verification.
Pros
constantly busy
Cons
shorten breaks
Sr. Electronics Technician/Lab Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIOctober 25, 2012
Good place to work. Most of the the people were very nice to work with.......
Pros
holidays, vacation, benefits
Cons
too bad they are bankrupt
Great place to work but company wasnt ready
Machine Operator/ Assembly (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 23, 2014
It was a great place to work. The job required a lot of hours and it was hard. Only work, sleep, and back to work. It did place a strain of my household and other priorities but the pay was great. The company was a government funded company and had suffered a 500 million dollar recall on its products and was running out of funds quickly to sustain.
Pros
great pay, great co workers and team work
Cons
overall leadership, long hours, and faulty machinery.
Not a freindly place to work
Temporary Production Reactor Operator (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MichiganJanuary 17, 2015
Technical exposure was excellent - but management was very unprofessional and co-workers were rude.
Pros
exposure to hi-tech equipment
Cons
co-workers were rude.
I worked with a group of very intelligent individuals
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAJanuary 7, 2015
Created, Updated EC’s, Deviations and Specifications in Microsoft Word.
Updated Excel spreadsheets.
Expedited EC’s for approval using Microsoft Outlook..
Edited pictorial BOM’s in Vthought and Excel.
Scanned and convert documents to PDF.
Controlled the flow of documents.
Shipped documents overseas.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
long commute
Productive and Independent Work Enviroment
Lead Electrical Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MISeptember 15, 2012
A123 Systems is a struggling company with plenty of potential but a questionable management team. They are taking care of quality issues quickly and are more focused than 2 years ago on customer satisfaction. The future is no longer a flickering light bulb but a solid 40 watt. If the current trend continues, it may be a 100 watt bulb by June 2013.
Pros
competative wages, free donut fridays and employee participation events
Cons
financial struggles and management attitude
Safeway
Engineer Technician (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MISeptember 16, 2014
I don't recommend this job for anyone. I leaned for to change a tire. Management treats workers bad. I didn't enjoy this at all.