A123 Systems Employee Reviews

hard to go in every day
Formation Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 14, 2017
Was a good place to work I enjoyed my job. till they announce that they are closing down half the plant and sending it to China in 3 month with no incentive to keep people motivated.
Pros
upper management get paid well
Cons
operators get looked over for raises
Work in progress
Production Group Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJune 28, 2017
A123 is a work in progress. The company was a start-up and had a hard time figuring out what its core business should be. From what I hear, things have turned around for the better.
Good place to work, poor management
Anode Coating Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Romulus, MIJune 13, 2017
from a work aspect the job was great. I worked with some awesome people and learned a lot. management was poor and the company basically ran itself into the ground.
Pros
good work environment, good pay and benefits.
Cons
poor management and lack of communication to employees.
production work , long hours
Maintenance Tech on automation products (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJune 12, 2017
12 hour shifts in a clean room at - 50 humidity . very clean place to work . good benefits . you work two days on get three days off , three days on and two days off . just couldn't get use to that.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
very clean place to work
The job is unstable constant layoffs and unprofessional staff.
Production Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJune 5, 2017
you never know whats going on when working at A123, The job is very unprofessional supervisors constantly use profanity although it was in a joking manner often times. It still came across very unprofessional. The hiring manger Tiffany Coleman never know whats going on with everyone's employment regarding layoffs which was frustrating and she is very secretive with telling you information about your job. December 26, 2017 the day after Christmas everyone was randomly laid off. The supervisors did not let us be aware of what was going on before hand nor after, instead we were randomly notified with calls on an off day informing us that we would not return into further notice. half of the employees were let go and others like my self had to randomly wait to find out what was going with employment. we didn't start back work until the end of march and once we came back we were notified that we were only there temporary until June 30th with no reasons why ? worst job I could every have. Highly recommend else where if you are looking for something stable, less layoff & STABLE.
sometime they might mess up on your pay this have happen to me several times so please watch out and keep track of how much you are making.
Pros
its no longer 12 hour shifts
Cons
layoffs, unprofessional, Unstable, everyone is clueless when it comes to your concerns.
good and fast pase work environment
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIMay 23, 2017
I love working here. Management was always their to assist you if you have any problems with equipment. Always had security on duty
I enjoyed working in a fast past environment and build car batteries. the hard part is minding your business and staying focused on your work. don't get caught up in alot of gossip that will get u off track.
clueless
Lead Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIMay 3, 2017
Poor HR dept. Wouldn't work there again. Supervisors make up own rules. Keeps workers temporary too long, then no raise when hired. Might be making 13.00/hr for several years! Poor 401k match.
Was a great place to work at.
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Romulus, MIMay 3, 2017
Work was fun I learned something new everyday about manufacturing. The culture here was great. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to come into work everyday with great people that all worked towards the same goals.
Cons
Heathcare
Highly Unethical
Lead Technician Duties and responsibilities (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIMay 1, 2017
Factory closed with minimal notice to employees everyone seemed to be blindsided by the news and they are leaving the United States going to do business in China
Pros
it was a new company
Cons
mismanagement
Awsome
Coater (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIMay 1, 2017
Great work environment minus harassment which stop after a while. I don't deem being harassment of any kind expectable it is just expected in a unfiltered male environment. The pay and unlimited over time was a plus as well as the flexible schedule it allowed me to work 12 hours a day a part time job on the weekends as well as do school.
Pros
unlimated hours, great pay, awsome schudle
Cons
enviroment
Very friendly, relaxed environment
Slitter Operator (Current Employee) –  Romulus, MIApril 24, 2017
Always very kind to their employees, Very relaxed environment. Reasonable deadlines for production and and plenty of overtime work available if need be.
Decent place
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Romulus, MIApril 20, 2017
Its a decent place to work.great shift working 3 days on 4 days off one week and 4 days on and 3 days off next week. No overtime.and closing building down in romulus and didnt tell employees of new building in novi
Perfect job for those who don't need supervision
Operating Cathode Coating Processor (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIApril 13, 2017
Loved this job. 12 hour shifts equaled good pay. Bosses let you be. Worked in crew of 4-6. Overnight shift preferred. Peaceful, friendly, workplace. Clean work space. Shame they went under.

Started with meeting to fill us in on previous shift's work. Dressed in protective gear. Set up aluminum rolls for cathode coating. Decided designated area and manned machines. Changed roles/responsibilities throughout night.
Pros
Good pay, hassle free from bosses and customers, appropriate breaks
Cons
12 hour shift, hard to balance work/free time in life
The best job I ever had
Maintenance Technician Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIApril 10, 2017
The work condition were very good. In a normal day my crew and I would take about 25 repair request, make the repairs and keep production.

The worst part of my job was getting the parts needed to do the job.

Working with other people and learning of them.
Overall good place to work
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Romulus, MIMarch 31, 2017
My time at A123 has been very beneficial to me. I obtained great working experience and knowledge. The Romulus facility was full of good people and good culture. The company filed for bankruptcy in 2013 and now it appears that us production is coming to a halt which is why I have labeled the job as stressful. Most of the work that was done in the US over the last few years was done to enable plant launches oversees.
Terrible work place
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIMarch 22, 2017
They don't care about the operators. The management needs lots of work. The operators are treated poorly with no time off without being threatened about their job. Even after finish their 90 day probation.
productive environment clean safe place
Process Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Romulus, MIMarch 22, 2017
I love the job it's always new things to learn. the management is great people they are very understanding. they are willing to work with you with what you don't understand
Very serious but easy job
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIMarch 20, 2017
I worked from 6:00am -6:30pm. When I arrive at work, I will get suited and the supervisor will tell us about our machines and problems the previous shift had. Next, I would head to my machine and do a handoff with an employee from the previous shift and they will tell you what's wrong with your machine. I did the same once my shift was over.
At A123 Systems
Machine Operator/Assembler (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIMarch 13, 2017
A typical day is not to bad it's just you might be moving around a lot but other then that the job is good.
I learned how to repair battery or module whichever​ one you want to call them. Also I learned how to test them by putting amps in them an checking to make sure the welds are good on the module.
Best management I've ever heard of
Associate Research Engineer (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 12, 2017
The most outstanding part of A123 is the management. A few years ago there was a massive overhaul of the management, and the new exec team made it a priority to get a better system in place. They are very open and honest with everyone, and anybody can (and does, when needed) contact the execs directly about any concerns. I truly feel like they listen and respond accordingly. Additionally, middle management is held accountable for their performance, both positive and negative. It's a very laid back culture that really emphasizes giving employees what they need to succeed.
Pros
Culture, flexible hours, management, Upto, security
Cons
Few chances for advancement