ABC Fine Wine & Spirits Employee Reviews

doesnt care about employees
Night Manager (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLDecember 23, 2015
after almost 2 years, I sold high profit name brand bourbon like magic. One day my regional manager came in and told me I had 2 days to get ready to transfer to a store over an hour from my house; simply because I was one of the few people who knew how to run that store. I understand someone needs to run the store, but you can give 2 days notice...I have a family, and ABC doesn't care.
Pros
Fun, i liked being there
Cons
the company doesnt give a **** about your family or needs. SELFISH!
Terrible Management and No guidance.
Manager in Training (MIT) (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 21, 2015
You have your typical customers, some good and some awful. Benefits were actually pretty great, but expensive (though not that uncommon nowadays). Management was terrible. I had to learn my job on my own. They only tell you what you're doing wrong, instead of training you. It took me 6 months to get the welcome employee packet, which stated very little on how to actually do your job. I got fired because I didn't follow a policy I didn't know about. Don't do it unless you're desperate; and even then I would reconsider.
Pros
decent benefits, if a little pricy.
Cons
Terrible Management and no guidance on how to actually do your job.
Fun secure full-time job.
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  New Port Richey, FLDecember 8, 2015
As far as retail goes ABC is one of the better places to work in Florida. They hire full-time, start you at the beginning of the week, offer benefits your 1st year, and pay fair wages. They are always looking forward improving the way they do things.

ABC thrives even in poor economic conditions, providing excellent job security. They own all of their own properties and will never lay off employees.

Management is supportive. No such thing as a stupid question. Lead by example. Family owned and family oriented workplace. Owner and VPs visit every store each year. Career opportunities are there as ABC often hires talent from within. Also monthly classes to help increase knowledge of products.
Pros
Full-time, Job-security, Benefits and 401k, Family environment.
Cons
Retail scheduling...
Great company to work for
I.T Field Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 20, 2015
Great company to train and move up in. Management is always helpful and the team is a family. Would recommend for any position
$10.00 /hr? really?
sales clerk/ driver (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 12, 2015
It seems this company only pays this amount. In the mean time, you have to have 100/300 in auto insurance? Doesn't make any sense.
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  DeLand, FLNovember 5, 2015
You are always moving, stocking, and talking to customers. Its been a very fun and family like atmosphere. you will gain a lot of person growth and a tremendous amount of product knowledge. This company is constantly reinvesting with its employees.
love ABC Fine Wine and Spirits
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 4, 2015
This was a great job for me even though i dont drink i learned about the different types of liquor and wine. had a great bounce of customers this job thought me alot and im thankful for that
Excellant place to work
Manager-in-Training (Current Employee) –  Doral, FLOctober 10, 2015
Enjoy going to work everyday, great atmosphere. Team work, helpful staff and very patient. Very knowledgeable about product, quick and friendly service.
Good company
Shift Manager / Key-holder (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 18, 2015
Decent company to work for with knowledgeable employees. Treated with respect. Opportunities to grow within the company. Pay a bit on the low side.
The good of abc
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 31, 2015
The hardest part of the job was making sure everyone came to work on the first day of the week. The most enjoyable part of the job was making my employees laugh keeping a smile on there face.
Pros
free lunch every wednesday weekends off paid every week
Cons
healthcare, not clean
fun and easy, good stemping stone
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  floridaJuly 26, 2015
usually very easy work, stocking, selling, restocking , helping guest on selection and carrying products to car. you do get overdramatic employees and managers who don't care who only got the job being buddies with higher management not do to there hard work or knowledge. keep to yourself and do your job is a good place some coworkers make a fun place. only way to get upper management if someone moves or get fire.
Pros
not hard, fun and flexible, they can be helpful sometimes
Cons
low pay, low or no raises, management could do better job, underage stings
Can be a fun but demanding job
Assistant Store Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 17, 2015
It can get frustrating some days you go in the a vendor will show up you check them in another will show up and before its all done 4 more vendors my show up you get them checked in as well as put away and re stock the store and provide guest service and sales the whole time.
Pros
making someones celebration awesome
Cons
running out of time to get everything done and put away before your shift is done oor store closes
Enjoyed the challange
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLMay 31, 2015
Enjoyed the work very much.
I learned a lot about business working at ABC and was offered many opportunities to continue my education.
Pros
continue my education
Cons
too many hours
Productive and fun workplace
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Altamonte Springs, FLApril 17, 2015
I truly enjoyed my shifts at ABC Fine Wine & Spirits these past seven years. I met many interesting people along the way and some who I wish i hadn't (thieves) but the holiday season though crazy at times was my favorite part of the job.
Pros
Meals were provided for the staff for the holidays
Cons
i would often spend hours on the register if we were short handed
Great company to work for.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 11, 2015
Great company to work for. Opportunity to advance and promotions available from within. Very family and guest oriented because they care about their staff and people they serve.
Pros
Once you work for the company you are their for long term.
Cons
Always trying new ideas to improve that do not offer any better outcomes in the end.
Summary
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 13, 2015
I work there picking items and put away items and help Build pallets for the wine room then work on labels until done with job
Decent Starter Job
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 18, 2014
Over all not a bad company. Not a place I see a career though. Been around for over 3 years and no sign of moving up. They would rather hire someone from the outside than to promote someone.
Pros
vacation time, pto, free lunches for thanksgiving and christmas
Cons
no future
Terrible Company
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Broward County, Fl.October 22, 2014
Worked as a shift manager. Store I worked for had a bunch of slackers that made it difficult to enjoy any part of the day and when I told upper management they blew it off since we always needed a "warm body" to come in.

Typical day: Open store (or close at night), count the money (which always seemed to be off) and see what items were low and stock them accordingly. Sometimes we had early morning trucks (4am-6am) with 300-600 cases that would be unloaded by yourself and 1 other person. After the unload was done, you would then have to try and put away most of it before store opened. Morning shifts expect only you and 1 other person there. Gets frustrating when you have vendors coming and going and needing to scan in everything, while trying to keep store clean, watch for customers, ring up customers, watch for shoplifters and putting away the truck order.

Typical night: Close store, count the money and front the store. Employees always came up with excuses on why they wanted to leave early and since it was only 1 other person, they wouldn't be able to. This made them not want to work with you the next time they were there and they wouldn't. Again, nothing was done by management.

Company is family-owned. They only have stores in Florida. Rising in the ranks is almost a no go since the higher management is usually a family member (brother, sister, in law, etc.) The company doesn't have their own vision. They take bits and pieces of other similar establishments and try to incorporate them into their stores, usually with terrible results. Their commission system there is completely
  more... broken. We used to have single commission sales, but, then they switched to store incentive sales. This means that in the past, you could have made an extra $100-250 a week, then when they switched and "pooled" all commissions, everyone got a share - even the ones that hardly worked. So that extra $100-250 you would have seen on a paycheck would then be split between everyone. So if they weren't selling the ABC products (in this case called DTY - or- Direct to You), you wouldn't make much more on your paycheck than base pay.

Just some added info: Store is open everyday of the year except Christmas and Thanksgiving. If you are family oriented, this may not be the job for you.

Dead end job and wished that it wouldn't have taken so long for me to leave.
Pros
met great customers and became friends with a few.
Cons
my review should cover this
Unrespectable and untrustworthy
Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Fernandina Beach FloridaOctober 19, 2014
Horrible company that doesn't even obey its own basic rules like employee confidentiality.The CEO’s and management only care for itself and don't keep personal information, problems, questions, or concerns strictly between HR/manager and the employee.

No training is provided to new employees by management or supervisors and you're expected to know how to do everything in the store on your own, perfectly, without it.

The store manager often hides when needed or leaves randomly without informing employees or providing any explanation even if the store is busy – A store manager should be the last person to leave early or call out and always be there to help customers and employees.

As a cashier you’re not allowed to move from your position in front of the register even if the position is covered by another cashier and the store is slow at the moment or completely empty besides employees to do anything regardless of what it may be.

The cash registers are also horribly outdated and often lock up or provide the wrong information, refuse to apply coupons or discounts, and shut down when it rains. Basic fixes and corrections on the register are impossible without the store manager’s key such as undoing a double scan or a customer changing his or her mind on an item last minute. Which slows down the lines and creates extra work for both employees.

Other general Cons about this job:
-You receive no breaks unless you’re a wine consultant or store manager
-there isn't anywhere to store belongings or even a room to place them in.
-You may be forced to unload an entire semi-truck of
  more... liquor at three AM with only one other ABC employee assisting you.
-Outdated registers cause lots of PSV (post sales voids) which may lead to problems and conflicts with manager and customers.
Pros
not being employeed at abc liquors.
Cons
being employeed at abc liquors.
Decent
Sales Associate/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLSeptember 25, 2014
Job was alright, not very demanding. Coworkers were great and a good sense of collective misery was what united us. Pay was sh*&, but the benefits package was pretty good.
Pros
got free damaged merchandise.
Cons
pay was terrible. not enough for a young adult trying to start a life.