AECOM Employee Reviews

Found 1,174 reviews matching the search
Stratified corporate environment with no upward mobility or compensation
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  USAOctober 16, 2012
Five years as an assistant project manager for URS left a sour taste in my mouth. Co-workers are terrible at delegation and communication skills, especially for a leading engineering firm. Act like their jobs are at risk, and highly secretive and territorial about projects even if we are on the same team. Sensitivity training is badly needed in my engineering department given insensitive comments based on ageism, gender, political affiliation, and race. HR did not respond to repeated requests by multiple employees, and HR is off-site.

Office place is nice, low-wall cubicles surrounding outward facing offices. Most everyone has window view and the surroundings were recently updated. Fortunate to have ample parking and room in the floors in our building.

My average day cannot be easily quantified. Last minute work is commonplace due to the poor communication and hoarding of information of my teammates, management, and affiliated departments. Frequently running from a client meeting to budgeting to contract review to preparation, and often forced to perform tasks outside my scope because I fight so many fires concurrently. This is a highly stressful and disorganized environment that will shock anyone used to more practiced or process-oriented offices. URS is choked by its regulations, corporate-wide policies, and procedures that attempt a one-size-fits-all variety. We reinvent the wheel very often, a lot of wasted time/energy.

Management is focused on bottom line and profit over everything except safety compliance. They squeeze water from stones out of employees, especially
  more... the lowest on the pay scale. Routinely require administrative staff to perform professional and specialist services in order to stay under budget. Intense pressure to pass the buck down, and I perform tasks and responsibilities far outside my job description or pay scale.

Compensation is terrible, at least 20-30% lower than major competitors in the same market. Bonuses reserved for senior executives in our region, and was told 1% bonus was maximum anyone in the department could expect to receive despite meeting our targets by 3Q. Benefits package doesn't measure up to other companies, extremely expensive health care plans that have favoured health care accounts over actual coverage. Already we're below par and we're told we can expect not to receive a raise over years. No incentive to work better, harder,
Pros
nice office, learning management system, quick to review expenses, flexible schedule
Cons
no raises, pay well below par, processes and policies badly outdated, management disrespectful, rude employees, dull assignments, company interests over employee interests
Horrible company worked at KSC
Engineering (Former Employee) –  KSC, FLJune 14, 2013
I had to find a job after my employer went bankrupt. URS was the second company that offered me a position. I took them because the pay was dramatically better then the other private company.

I worked for then for one and half years. It was pretty much total hell the whole time. Me and one other employee started at the same time. We were pretty much put into isolation since day one. The manager and GM were both ex-miltary. They were not management material. But either they had moved up to a pay scale that required they become a manger, or had an inside track with the leadership.

As far as the co-workers go, If you weren't military they didn't want anything to do with you. If you had a degree they basically tried to show you up, and make you feel stupid.

The manager actually told us that if he doesn't like you he will make your life a living hell, until you resign. The last employee walked off the job after a few weeks, leaving his credentials on the managers desk. It was a classic hostile work environment, with the manager and his cronies that talk to other employees about you in front of others, sometimes right in front of them about you. Very unprofessional. But they know how to cover their tracks, they are professionals at that.

He had pulled the same thing with me and another person. We both managed to escape, I left for a much much better job, the other just went and quit without new work.

The GM wasn't any better, he had gotten complaints about the manager and ignored the pleas to demote or fire him. Before I left he was to be demoted. But he still acted the same
  more... way as a non functioning manager.

Life is so much better not being there, I work for a group that appreciates my job skills, and loyalty.

KSC was a living hell, the old military folks desperately needed the job, for the most part its the only job they had that wasn't in the military. They would always say they could never make the kind of money they made there again.

The manager would apply for jobs on the outside, only to be ignored after the interviews.
Pros
awful management, hostile work environment, not a team environment
Cons
made decent money long enough to find a healthy work environment
Trying to leave!
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Long BeachAugust 11, 2012
Prepare to be a number, this company has bulldozer over small local companies sucking them up and spitting out the bones. This all happened before I even got there but in the wake I can see an entire office of biter people who no longer care about working together, are constantly throwing their coworkers under the bus to cover their butts and hoarding work for billability because you are always reminded you can be fired at the drop of a hat for not keeping your billability up. You will not be trained as no one wants to spend their time on non-billable work, so you will have to learn to fend for yourself, you will not be rewarded for hard work, you will see little to no raise after spending hours on your year end review because it really has nothing to do with performance, the only time you will be recognized is when somethings gone wrong and someone needs a scape goat. We actually got a letter from the CEO stating how much the company has profited (a lot!!!) and thanks for all your hard work right after being told there was not enough money for raises this year! Management is congested with work and don't seem to know how to delegate it leaving lower level workers without work, then because there is so much work and its not getting done they hire more lower level people to help out because they don't want to pay the slightly higher salary of a mid level person (or god forbid they train their current staff to become mid level. That would take unbillable work and they might have to promote someone or give them a raise!) They really are only out for the profit treating their employees  more... like dirt. Its all about numbers and the company reinforces this attitude with their employees resulting in everyone treating each other like expendable tools overlooking quality and commitment. Just get the job done as cheaply and as quickly as possible and don't get hurt, if this isn't done you'll be fired.  less
Pros
i get payed on time i and i get health care
Cons
oppressing environment, no training, mentorship or upward mobility.

Comment – September 20, 2012

That is exactly why I left in 2009 with no job in hand. Best decision I ever made.

A Professional Atmosphere, Pleasant People
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Clifton, NJJune 17, 2014
A bit of background: My only reason for seeking other employment is that, like in all construction-based industries, available work hours are specifically tied to active contracts for that particular office. Since the economy hit significant problems in 2008, the rate of incoming contracts - specifically which allow for chargeable administrative hours - has been greatly reduced. I gave a low rating on benefits only because when my hours dropped below 20 a week, per company policy I was also dropped from benefits.

Other than that, I like working for URS Corporation. Very professional atmosphere, people are friendly, self-motivated, and its also interesting because a variety of cultures and nationalities work in our office. The company requires on-line training every year, from safety procedures to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, to Respect in the Workplace, and more. I have proven myself to be responsible, and as a result I have latitude to manage my day as I see fit, which is a high value for me. Of course, I accomplish key tasks within a required time frame.
Managers look to me for information, and at times for what I recommend on a subcontractor invoice issue, etc. It helps that "creature comforts" are always available - nice kitchen, well-designed facility, lots of windows help; coffee/tea available during the day, etc. There is an exercise room and a cafeteria in our building; convenience matters as well. {;0 Because the company is so large (global), there are many convoluted requirements to do anything - generate a report, order supplies, you name it...I guess that'd
  more... be the drawback...but if I had enough hours - say even 30 hours a week, I would not mind staying there at all.  less
Pros
company is conscious of employee needs, and seeks to enhance career growth
Cons
dropped from healthcare due to lack of available hours
While the pay, benefits, values were good, management, job security, and advancement needed reviewing with corrective action taken.
heavy equipment mechanic (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCMay 24, 2012
Some of the management chose not to take corrective action on selective personnel regularly (alike fraternization). Granted, when higher adjacent personnel were on deck, a fair heads up would be in effect for all, and laugh at comments the higher adjacent(s) made, after he/she exited the work place.

Job security was similar in the fact that if you rubbed elbows with the immediate management, your day would be easier thus, fraternization would lead to not having to work as hard as fellow employees. This was observed by 1/2 the work place and but, better off not bringing up the subject matter to higher element. Also between AECOM and URS working the contract for the military, neither of which held there ground concerning X years of contract. In fact, about 60 or more employees after being told the company (URS) had a two-year contract were terminally laid off within 1 year at no fault or negligence of their own. In addition, the respective employee's were informed of their lay-off a mere three (3) days prior to termination. Lastly, those terminated were informed it would take three (3) separate pay checks for the URS employee's to be paid in full. Problem is; if anyone need to file unemployment, they could not for 30 days seeing as URS informed us that is how long it would take for any/all pay annied out. Our temrination date was 01 May 2012. None of the respective employee's have received their final pay as of yet.

There was little to any chance for advancement. There hadn't been a pay raise in three (3) years!
Pros
diverse experience, aiding others when required
Cons
structural information commonly changed
The Austin Accounting Center has become a top world class organization.
AR Accounts Coordinator & Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 31, 2013
My day started with me checking my correspondence (voice and emails) to prioritize whom I needed to contact during the day. I also checked my tasks to make sure I didn’t miss contacting a client, making a phone call, or sending information to internal and external clients. I updated my records by running the aging reports, cash receipts report, and the unapplied cash account to make sure I didn’t have money unapplied. I exported information into a spreadsheet that had aging information for my clients. I used the spreadsheet to write emails to my clients.

I learned to organize my time and prioritize my efforts. The first week of each month, I had to prepare the Potentially Uncollectible accounts report to send to the Credit & Collection Manager in the West Coast. The report would be sent to all regional controllers, office managers and project managers in the URS organization.

The second week of the month, I prepared the drafts for the mid-month reviews to be held with my regional controllers and office managers during the third wee of the month.

I also learned to multitask. In a fast pace environment, I had to resolve many issues concurrently. I learned to work remotely with colleagues (project managers, administrators, account coordinators) via email or Outlook instant messaging. I learned to listen to find out what my clients’ needs were to address them correctly, and resolve any issues.

I enjoyed talking to people in the Mid-West, as well as in Latin America (Mexico, Puerto Rico, Panama, Brazil, Argentina). The hardest part was to persuade one office in particular that
  more... my efforts wouldn’t hinder the business relations they had built with their clients.  less
Pros
the different types of discounts to purchase services or equipment
Cons
medical insurance became more expensive and provided less services
A place where you can learn, be confident and at the same time have fun
AutoCAD Technician / Operator (Current Employee) –  Orange, CASeptember 15, 2015
We just merged with AECOM less than a year ago. I joined URS Corp (name of previous company before merger) 9 (nine) years ago straight from Westwood College where I acquired my Associates Degree in Architectural Design/AutoCAD Drafting.

A typical day would start with red lined plans on my desk for drafting.
This activity would usually keep me busy the entire day. However, once in a while I would accompany the Project Engineer in gathering data and taking pictures of the project site. I also deliver documents like plans and bidding materials for submission to the client.

For me, the hardest part of the job was at the beginning of my nine years stay at URS. Almost everything is new, like office procedures,
technical terms, and CADD drafting techniques. Fortunately, I have some people who were more than willing to take me "under their wings" and showed me how things are done correctly. I am still learning. There are still a lot of things that I need to learn most specially with the advancing technology. But I can rest assure that my fellow co-workers will assist me whenever I needed their help.

There are a lot of things that I have learned while working that I have not learned from school. There were a lot of AutoCAD command features and short cuts that I have learned from tenured CADD Technicians.

I guess the most satisfying part of the job is knowing that I have contributed something technical for the growth of our country.
Pros
Working in a Civil Engineering environment, Knowing and working with people who knows the business well, and learning from tenured engineers and technical people.
Cons
When business is slow, I had to look for something to make me billable.
A well balanced position with work compensation, great learning experience
Facility Operator (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, ORMarch 24, 2013
Working at the chemical agent disposal facility taught me a lot about the right safety cultures to have in the workplace. Put into an environment I knew nothing about, I found it both frustrating and challenging to adapt--and once I did, did I realize the opportunity I had available to me. 12 hour shifts, rotating days and nights.
Shift work included verifying all forms of munition tracking from physically verifying their locations and lot numbers, to cross referencing government tracking forms to the company's. It allowed me to learn about pneumatic conveyor systems, operating cranes, forklifts, cascade ventilation systems, use of heavy, awkward tools in an even more awkward position to perform my job duties..and all safely.
My co-workers were people of various ages from all walks of life, which made our job smoother. We were a mostly serious bunch, and helped each other through the stress of our shift and our job itself.
A part of our job was to perform "entries" into chemical agent contaminated areas while wearing protective equipment to perform a myriad of jobs, while under direct supervision and control of a process supervisor, and a control room operator, through CCTV and personal radios.
I'd say the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to look through our logbooks, our paperwork, our storage areas, and being to see, every day, the impact we were having on the company's mission: to safely, and environmentally compliantly, dispose of a part of the nation's stockpile of chemicial weapons. Every munition sent in for destruction was both satisfying, and rewarding.
Pros
professional growth, personal satisfaction
Cons
benefits had extremely high deductibles, the shift work was stressful both physically and mentally
Dangerous
HVAC maintenance (Former Employee) –  aurora ilMarch 3, 2014
After jumping through about 10 different hoops to just get started, I wound up going to the job location. The guy that hired me was not there, I was handed over to a bunch of guys who were already familiar with the extremely large facility, and were not exactly in a welcoming mood. There were about 8 different mechanics and maybe only 3 said hello and acknowledged my presence. The only other HVAC mechanic wouldn't even say hello. This would be the guy I would work along with or that would watch my back at an extremely large plant. A place where the key component of safety is communication. These guys looked miserable, angry, beat down, and most definitely not interested in helping a new tech with anything. An everyman for himself attitude. It only took me one day realize this place was an accident or fatality waiting to happen. They were so desperate to get another individual to help with maintenance calls, that they were willing to hand over a 24-7 365 day phone for service, to a person who had not even been there 1 whole day. This was not a place to do the sink or swim game. This was a serious size facility that would require at least a solid month of getting familiar with, before being handed the keys to the castle. I had the skills necessary to thrive here, but I was terrified by the group who were in control of keeping me safe. I give this 1 star due to poor leadership and training. I give it negative 12 stars for the individuals in charge of training and the miserable crew. stay far away.
Pros
leaving alive.
Cons
everything
Stressful workplace...apply elsewhere!!
Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Kennedy Space Center, FLApril 11, 2015
This company does not value hardworking employees whatsoever. The reason I say this is because they have recently shown us how much they could careless about us by reducing our by $2.23/hour. They have cut our vacation time off, some have lost 3 days per year in vacation and others have lost 2 days per year. They have also cut two of our holidays per year, we no longer get the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas eve off...this is the time when we should be spending time with our families. I have been with this company for 5 years and we have always received those days off. They have also raised our insurance premiums by 15% this year, and it will go up 16.5% next year and 18% in the year after that, however they will not give us any raises for the next 2 years. Oh, and there will no longer be a company match to our 401K retirement plan.

Management is very disrespectful, egotistical, unethical, discriminatory, and are the worse micro-managers ever. The company's morale has gone down tremendously in the last two years when a new branch manager was promoted. Management makes decisions based on personal vendettas rather than what is best for the company by making sure the employees are happy and satisfied. However, since management doesn't have the people skills or leadership skills to be effective managers, they could care less about whether their employees feel appreciated instead they micro-manage them and make them feel like children. It is not worth it to work here.
Pros
No Pros exist for this company.
Cons
Managers will micro-manage you, managers lack effective leadership skills, managers are very egotistical and vindictive, work environment is very stressful and miserable, management is very inconsiderate, disrespectful, and unethical.
Good work environment and very good co-workers.
Utility Operator (Current Employee) –  Tooele, UTOctober 3, 2013
My day or night would begin with turnover with the previous crew. Then I would go to the daily planning meeting with the area lead where any special activities would be discussed. If there were any safety issues or training on the schedule, they were put on the daily schedule and man power assigned.
I learned how a very complex job can be accomplished by well trained and talented people. I learned what my job was and was trained to do it with the experience and training I had. I learned to work with many types and levels of educated people and work with and learn from them.
The management at work improved over the life of the project. They made some mistakes,but worked to accomplish what we had to do safely and on time. They tried to keep us informed as to what was coming up and what was expected from us. I was generally impressed how they used the talent they had or what they needed to overcome problems they encountered. They introduced programs to improve production and safety. They made us become involved in the process and changed the ideas about how we could help lower injury rates and still have good production rates.
I was generally impressed with the people I worked with. They were willing to do the job assigned and adjust as things changed in the workplace. There was exceptions of course, but on the most part we got along with each other. We taught those who were new what was expected and how to do the job right. Most did what they were asked to do. Some had a little problem adjusting to some of the changes.
The hardest part of the job was the schedule. The changing
  more... from day shift to night shift and back is hard to get use to.
The most enjoyable part of the job to me was working with the people I did and accomplishing what we did safely.
Pros
steady work and really good wage. advancement opportunities.
Cons
work schedule is hard to get use to.
Hostile Takeover of URS was and still is a complete fiasco
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 1, 2015
It's fairly standard in the engineering consulting industry for mergers to happen at the drop of the hat. Having been through several, I can honestly say this was the worst one ever and it has left scars that cannot be healed. I imagine if you are an accomplished engineer or a young graduate fresh out of college that this is a good place for you to work - the pay is good for some lower ranks - but other than that, go running for the hills.

Area management seems fully out of touch with the needs of local employees. Weekly and sometimes daily emails from the CEO touting the latest accomplishments of the Corporation go largely ignored because they have no impact on the little guy. Lack of training in protocols for the office is astounding.

It's clear that URS was one of many victims of the organization's business model, which is painfully obvious: Buy up all the competition by throwing cash at it, then cry at how poor your quarterly results are and begin "unplanned" layoffs left and right. Rinse, and repeat. If you work for a direct competitor, watch your back because you could be next. My advice is get out of this industry unless you are in one of the aforementioned categories of people. High pay is NOT everything.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Constant stress, lack of direction, poor middle and upper management, no communication, no feeling of comraderie whatsoever within office
Special place now becoming an average large engineering firm
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Westford, MAApril 15, 2015
AECOM is a multi-service engineering company that has grown at a very fast pace of the past 10 years. I worked in the environmental business line, which is based on Chelmsford, MA - formerly the headquarters of the environmental service firm, ENSR.

I enjoyed working at ENSR, The reason is simple: there were just a very large number of people there who had both great scientific talent in the environmental arena, great work ethic, and a great sense of camaraderie. ENSR had been through a lot of management changes over the years and this made the team there very dedicated to each other.

When AECOM came in, things started to change. Everything became more bureaucratic. They were trying to fit the management procedures into the engineering design model. It didn't add any value and created unnecessary stress. Soon thereafter, decisions regarding work started to be affected. Bean counters in Pasadena with no real sense of the environmental services market made some significant decisions that caused people to lose work opportunities. You can't just throw away long-term client relationships people have and expect them to show up the next day and have oodles of work piling in. Eventually there was a parade of talent out the door of the environmental services organization. They still have lots of great people, but they struggle much more now. This has just become much worse with AECOM's latest huge acquisition of URS. Evidently people at AECOM are being instructed to share work with the URS folks.
Working for MTACC is good the work atmosphere is wonderful. I have my own cubile and it's quite. This allows me to do a good job.
Quality & Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 28, 2014
Although I work for URS, I am a consultant working for MTACC. A typical day at work for me at MTACC is first going through all the emails from the Safety Engineers. My responsibilities are to maintain all documentation for all Projects. Daily Reports and Daily Hazard Reports and Injury Reports are sent to me daily. I am responsible to archive this data, which is use in a monthly report for the President's Report. Also setting up meetings for the Chief of Quality & Safety in which I have to contact other Administrative Assistants and all parties who have to participate in these meetings and arrange the appropriate time for everyone. A monthly report is generated for the analysis for the amount of Lost Time Injury (LTA) and Recordable (REC) for each Project. These charts show the rating for LTA and REC which have to meet the BLS National Standard. The management here is great. They respect you and help you to grow in the areas needed. I have learned a lot working in this position. I am able to multitask; the importance of having the information ready on time; being a team player; and I need little to none supervision once a task is explained and given to me. The hardest part of my job is waiting for the information to be sent to me. Because sometime I have to wait for the data to complete my part of the report. The most enjoyable part of the job is the work atmosphere, which is friendly, quiet and no unnecessary pressure from coworkers. Which allows me to perform my job everyday with a pleasant attitude.
Pros
because i'm a consultant working for mtacc i do not get all benefits that the company offers, however working for urs we get discounts on our phone, and travel discounts
Cons
healthcare beneifts are expensive
Overall- URS Lacked Ability to Secure Continuous Funding For Disabled Consumers
BusinessDept Supv & Clerical Support/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hazleton, PAJune 23, 2014
My fondest reward was working side by side and/or volunteering with individuals with disabilities to help make their work duties easier and more helpful to adjust and increase their coping skills in the workforce.

Our agency closing allowed my last two months to be spent as a production and workshop supervisor and one on one work behavioral supervisor for a young female adult with significant coping disabilites.

My last supervisor in Tunkhannock URS became my best reference as she had known me since her start date at many fundraising activities or requested my assistance in many special computer document creation projects and or assistance with additional clerical assistant duties.

She has seen and acknowledged what I have accomplished and has produced a beautiful reference letter which I can send upon your request. The hardest part of any day, was not being able to do more for our clients when the government funding ceased and cut their benefits and affected their lives more than us as their supervisors.

I had great support for all staff and missed my first supervisor after she passed from an unexpected terminal illness in 2007. She was fair and instructive with kindness and firmness and taught me a lot.

Two good supervisors of mine are deceased and the other one retired and relocated out of state.
Pros
assisting adults with disabilities in any manner
Cons
loss of funding and government awareness of the severity of their cuts on lives
Excellent work environment, rated one of the highest Steris Facilities for production.
Qualified/Certified Plant Shift Manager (PSM) (Former Employee) –  Stockton, UTFebruary 15, 2015
Position responsibilities include safe and efficient operation of Gamma Radiation Irradiator systems. Pertaining, but not limited to: weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual safety inspections. Radiation sampling, chiller and deionization systems, compressors, air dryers, pneumatic cylinders and valves, electrical components up to 480 VAC, fire and burglary systems. Also responsible for project management, oversight of installation and proper function of multiple vendor projects including entry stair and door upgrades, compressor and air dryer upgrades, lift elevator upgrade, electrical and IT room upgrade, IR138 system upgrade. Other duties include scheduling of all vendors, prioritizing repairs, generating and implementing work orders, graphs, charts and reports utilizing MP2 software. Ordering and installing all parts, including fabrication, welding and maintaining 7 forklifts for operations use. Coordinating repairs, and replacement of components with operations to minimize downtime. Assist with procedure and control changes, capital asset requests and CAPA reports. Excellent organization skills, great work ethic and morale. Safety for myself and co workers is a must at all times. Completed Project Management Certificate, EPA-HVAC certified, NEC-NFPA completion. Irradiator Operator certified.
Pros
good, safety and environmental facility, get along well with management and coworkers. excellent facility to work for.
Cons
time, distance and location away from home
Satisfied but not pleased
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2013
Aecom is one of the best companies on this planet. I hear and read about account being won by Aecom all the time via email. I am satisfied with the company in general but I do think at time that their clientele ask or demand the impossible from whomever they are in partnership with because at times It always a constant dispute on how ethic and arrangements are handled.

At typical day at AECOM is usually fine and productive but again the other companies that Aecom cohort with are usually unproductive and egomatic. Not on a daily work week but on times within the calendar year it can be a little unedged with working with other employees from other companies. My Aecom co workers are workable,dependable and throrough on task that need to be done.

Co workers are fine to work with but I do think that some of them needs to be flexible to their working environment whenvever working at other offices instead of being so one tracked on how their home branches are commendable to them.

The Hardest part of the job to me is just having a good rapport with everybody within Aecom and out of Aecom. We are all on the same team and lack of camaraderie should be instituted.

The most enjoyable part of the time are holidays towards the end of the year aka thanksgiving/christmas. The festivities the vacationing, the food, the parties and etc is something that is well earn through out the entire year.
Pros
medical 401, life insurance, luncheons
Cons
short longevity of projects, miscommunication, unnecessary physical mandatory workshops
Information Technology at URS E&C is a joke!
IT Specialist V (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJMay 14, 2014
It's hard to sum up in a few brief sentences how much of a joke (E&C, I can't speak for other divisions) working in IT here is, but let me put it to you this way: In no way, shape, or form is the work there in IT justified or relevant. The management team was one of the most incompetent groups I have ever come across in my career. It seems they had a brilliant idea to hire internally for 90% of their staff, which is great when you hire technology professionals, but bringing on engineers that have no technology background to work on highly technical projects or be a manager is just blasphemous. Aside from that, you're expected to work your 40 hours (6:45am - 3:30pm) but then, more times than none, you would end up going home and working until the wee hours of the night because that was the expectation... especially if you did not live in Denver. On top of that, salary or not, they had you charge all that overtime to an uncompensated overtime charge, because in IT, "overtime isn't allowed".

I could keep going, but steer clear, and don't think about going to work here unless you enjoy misery, and like working in an environment that is reminiscent of an adult day care.
Pros
air conditioned office
Cons
management, expectations, advancement, general knowledge, people
Great place to work, the people were great but did not live in Maryland
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 23, 2014
Since I reside inn Allison Park, PA. and then work in Columbia MD. it always caused a conflict that seemed to be very difficult to overcome, due to the political environment of Maryland. I am presently furloughed due to lack of work and if given the opportunity would return. My preference would be to stay in the Western PA region but difficult to find relevant work in my field of Mechanical Engineering.

Working for a governmental agency was very interesting. The campus on which we were supporting was large. It has approximately 25 building of different uses and I was exposed to every type of mechanical system there was.

Management was not micromanaging, but the matrix of the many projects caused some difficulties getting things completed on a timely basis. Management has also been supportive of my work/home balance, over the past year, and I would hope that it continues.

We are a division of URS that performs general contracting work so my skills were used based on the demand of work. If they needed a lead Mechanical Engineer, I would be leading a project. If they needed field support during a construction phase I would be there also. Design included researching codes, verifying field conditions, and interacting with the clients, just to name a few.

As far as collaboration between co-workers, I always felt there was a barrier that reflected the political culture of Maryland.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
work environnment
Sucessful, dynamic company with beautiful offices in downtown Denver
PROJECT/BILLING ACCOUNTANT (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 4, 2014
I enjoyed working for AECOM, and would love to work for them again in the future.
Their Denver office is located in a beautiful building in the heart of downtown Denver, just one block off the 16th Street Mall. Therefore, there are lots of places to go shopping and out to lunch.
The company pays for bus and light rail, however they don't pay for parking. There are many convenient parking garages that are close to the office if you would choose to drive. I live in the Parker area, therefore the commute was a long one each day when taking the light rail. My position as a Project Accountant was a very busy one which required several hours of overtime each week, therefore the long commute was exhausting and was what caused me to leave AECOM.
The people at AECOM were among the most caring and friendly that I have ever had the pleasure to work with. Management was always very friendly and fair, and I never felt that they thought they were above me and didn't treat me with great respect.
I will always be grateful for the experience that I gained at AECOM. Because my job was so busy, I learned valuable lessons in time management and efficiency. I always felt that management, my project managers, and coworkers truly valued and appreciated my I hard work and dedication.
I would highly recommend AECOM to anyone seeking employment with an overall great company.
Pros
beautiful office, great people, and great benefits, pays for bus and light rail pass
Cons
downtown denver location - long commute, company doesn't pay for parking as an option for long communte on light rail