AECOM Employee Reviews

Found 1,488 reviews matching the search
Glass Half Empty
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 29, 2017
Overall, AECOM has grown so large that management tends to lose sight of the actual work that is being performed. It is more important to make cash targets then anything else. While the work life balance is great if you're not a manager of some kind, the work load is ridiculous if you are. You are expected to perform many activities that should be charged to overhead, without charging overhead.
On the other hand, AECOM does respect work/life balance. AECOM supports an alternative work week all year round where employees can work longer days Monday through Thursday and then take Friday off. Again, only beneficial if you are anything but a manager.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Advancement
Great place to work!
Tester/Debugger (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MDFebruary 6, 2017
I had the pleasure of working on a team at AECOM during my breaks from college. The workplace has a great blend of friendly camaraderie and IBM-esque professionalism. Talented individuals receive recognition for a job well done, and there seemed to be room for advancement. Having worked at AECOM for a few months during Summer break, I was asked to return for about a month during Winter break. Unfortunately, the contract I was working on had its funding pulled, and there has since been no need for my skills.
Pros
Friendly coworkers and management. Room for advancement.
Cons
Employment is at the mercy of contracts won, and lost.
Large company
Desktop Engineer (Current Employee) –  Meridian, IDJanuary 19, 2017
After acquiring URS, AECOM doubled its employees base to nearly 100k. After a few years of helping bring together several purchased companies and consolidate 50+ domains, AECOM has moved toward outsourcing their IT department to IBM. Aside from this eminent job loss, I enjoyed working with my colleagues and will greatly miss them after moving on. Working from home was a blessing that I'll surely miss, and having a great breadth of technologies to learn and decipher will be something I look for in future.
Pros
Telecommuting, decent salary, flexible schedule, HSA matching
Cons
401(k) match only .50/1.00, outsourcing to save money, office politics
productive
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2017
. work with many expert colleagues
. great work place culture
. really good mangers
. Develop design and construction documents for projects with multi-discipline teams of architects, engineers and consultants for public and private clients
. Oversee the work of less experienced architects and designers and be responsible for determining technical objectives of project assignments in conjunction with project
Pros
free training
Cons
short break
Interesting Work
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  MultipleJanuary 26, 2017
I came from a different company and initially was able to transition to the fundamental AECOM culture with very little difficulty. Loved working on a variety of projects from different sectors.

As AECOM began dismantling departments and outsourcing, it became apparent that the practice of 'core staff' was nonexistent. many low- & mid-managers were reassigned (ie: a demotion). Others who were considered core in their previous company, we're laid off at the same time new hiring was going on.

Overall I enjoyed working there and would consider going back, even with no expectation of employment beyond the current project.
Pros
Flex schedule, benefits, teamwork
Cons
No security, undervalued, poor support for work/life balance
There is nothing good about this organization
Peon (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityDecember 22, 2016
The management has taken this facility to an all time low. The management is incompetent and doesn't care about the employees that do the work. If you are thinking about applying for a job at this facility, do yourself a favor and don't do it. Look elsewhere. You will be miserable.

This has been by far the worst group of people to work for, including management, upper management and human resources. No one is on your side, so fend for yourself get out before they completely destroy what's left of this facility.
Pros
Still getting a paycheck, although they've cut our hours
Cons
Cut in pay, reduction of benefits, hostile work environment
No room for advancement
Light Truck Driver, Transportation, FMS (Former Employee) –  Hill AFB, UTJanuary 18, 2017
AECOM was a fine place to work. I only have a few complaints, there was really no room for advancement. No raises unless you got a new position. Management and workforce communication were lacking.

Other than those few things, the day to day work life was great. I really enjoyed working closely with the Air Force personnel. Doing logistics was both challenging and rewarding.
Aecom whas one of the best jobs i have ever had.
Maintenance Technician II (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 9, 2017
That was my best job and every day was something different. I have learned a lot there. The management was great. It was a very straight foreword job and I met a lot of respectable people there. Probably snow shoveling but i got it done. I really enjoyed the whole job and i would love to work there again.
Pros
I had an office and i had all the resorces to get everything done.
Challenging Work
Sr. Accident Analyst (Former Employee) –  Richland, WADecember 28, 2016
In my case I worked as a loaned employee to another company, after URS was merged with AECOM. I had very little interface with my AECOM management. There are good managers at AECOM. My experience with some of the URS management was not so good.
Pros
Professional environment and challenging work.
Cons
Management makes a big difference, and bad management caused a difficult work environment for a time.
Great team colaboration
Independent Sr. Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 5, 2016
The team I was part of was knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with. They are dedicated to completing their goals.
I was fortunate to travel and work with a great team. They each support one another.
Expect to work long hours including some weekends if need be. Reason being, they are a global group and it is expected that you provided support to end users (internal customers). This makes for a difficult work life balance, but management has made significant strides on making changes that benefit the team.
Pros
Great team collaboration
Cons
NA
Very Passive Agressive
Communications Electronics Tech IV Lead UASOCS (Former Employee) –  DEDecember 12, 2016
Company was overly passive aggressive and you never knew where you stood. Policies and procedures all seem aligned to be able to remove someone for even the slightest infraction, like another employee was upset with you one day, they could just get rid of you. Most of the HR processes were around ensuring that the employee knew how easy it would be to get rid of them. Had HR yelling at new employees because they did not complete paperwork that was not sent to the employee. At least for the management team that supports operations in Germany, I would avoid this team and location.
Pros
Get you in the door quickly
Cons
HR processes and understanding lacking, Overly passive aggressive, constantly reminded of ease of removal
This division of AECOM was a fun place to work over a 5 year period.
Director, Financial Planning & Analysis (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXDecember 7, 2016
This division of AECOM was a fun place to work over a 5 year period.
The hardest part of the job was the transition of accounting systems both here and with the accounting group in India. There were many long days and nights with the implantation, but those issues gradually reduced as the learning curve also reduced.
Great work environment, always given oppurtunities to learn.
Logistics Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Bagram, AFJanuary 21, 2017
Being with AECOM is like being with family. The atmosphere is full of positive energy, great vibes and motivating people. Management is always encouraging employees to take advance with certs and or school.
Pros
Defac Food Provided, Laundry Provided and Living Provided
Cons
No Company Vehicles given out
Aecom cuba
Alt. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cuba, MODecember 18, 2016
I enjoyed my time in GITMO working for AECOM, the work and projects were good, demanding of time and effort but rewarding all the same, I only worked with them for 10 months and completed the main project that I was hired for before taking a new position with Parsons.
Pros
Location, Vacation
Cons
For my position, pay, hours of work and days off for location.
Great place to begin career and friendly people
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 30, 2016
I began my career here and all the people have been friendly and I have learned and grown a lot in my career and as a person. I have enjoyed my time with AECOM but feel I am wanting to grow more and they do not have the position I am looking for and I have a lot of motivation and drive and I am stuck now in my career.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
difficult to move to a different group even in the same company
Productive/fast paced place to work
Customer Service Rep/ General Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 12, 2017
The culture of the company is great and I enjoyed working with everyone. The biggest and only issue I had is that there was no room for advancement.
Pros
Learned to use different shipping methods when handlng military material, gained more experience using Microsoft office
Cons
Short Lunches
Corporate hellhole
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 26, 2016
This is a company so filled with red tape and beauracracy that it can't get out from its own way. The culture and day to day work environment is horrible unless you enjoy fulfilling non-engineering related tasks that are tied to meeting accounting requirements imposed from a corporate management that has no knowledge of day-to-day operations performed by the engineering staff of professionals.
We celebrated birthdays, I had just ben given a plack for 25 years of service etc.
Drafter/Designer (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 13, 2016
At AECOM I worked with a lot of nice people. That include myself. We worked good together. We had good relationships

We put together a lot of drawings for Industrial applications. Most of it was for oil and gas applications.
Pros
We had crab boils, company picnics, and holiday parties.
Cons
No cons, I was happy there.
great place to work if you like taking on challenges to invent and overcome obstacles
Engineering Technician V (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 20, 2016
every day is challenging to preform R&D experiments, it is a constant learning atmosphere . always room for improvements in technology,instrumentation and operational protocols. management implements safety training, workers help each other.
Aecom is a run down ate up company.
Slave (Current Employee) –  usaOctober 28, 2016
Benefits are a thing of the past for this company. Health insurance benefits are doubling in price and the coverage is going down. Look to spend 20-30% of your salary for health coverage. In 2017 you will be penalized for having a working spouse on your insurance plan.
Pros
The only raise you can count on is the cost of your health insurance going up.
Cons
They don't charge you for working here yet.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AECOM. Our community is ready to answer.