AECOM Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,279 reviews matching the search
Pretty standard, large company
Programmer Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 17, 2015
I started with Apptis, who was bought by URS and later acquired by AECOM. As the company has grown, the pleasure of working here has diminished. Apptis was a small technology company that had some large contracts with the federal government. That made them desirable for investment firms looking to expand their portfolio. As the company grew, benefits became less competitive and the focus on employees diminished.
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
little chance for advancement
Productive and enjoyable work environment
Aviation Life Support Systems Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Camp Pendleton, CAMay 15, 2015
Begin the day with the morning maintenance meeting to discuss daily flights and top priorities. Perform priority jobs first and then work on additional duties. Learned a lot about working together with military personnel and other contractors. Work environment is friendly and moral was always high. Hardest part of the job was knowing that internal movement or promotions were few and far between, so many employees feel stuck. The most enjoyable part of the job is the great environment.
Pros
Fun and Upbeat environment
Cons
Minimum or no pay raises due to federal wage scale
unable to rate
Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCApril 18, 2016
I prefer not to answer this as the last 4 years has been the worst I've ever gone through. To begin with the job was fun and I learned a lot. But 4 years ago, we became a service center with a new manager who changed the entire atmosphere of the office and our jobs. And then 2 years ago we went under a different division of the company and URS was bought by a company named AECOM and things just got worse. People were being laid-off until it got to my position and then 10 of us lost our jobs. In the last 4 years I went from 9% raises to 1% and 0%
Pros
none as of 4 years
Cons
horrible moral, under paid - I could go on but I don't want to
Something interesting everyday.
Quality Control/Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day begins at 0430 with the reviewing, answering and clearing of the of the previous days email traffic. Next would be the morning safety briefing to the crew. There was always something new to be learned depending on whatever was happening. I learned to be patient and tolerant of other individuals. Management allowed us to do our job with very to little micro-management. My immediate coworkers were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. The hardest part of the position was the two commute one way, and most enjoyable part of the job was going home knowing that everyone else went home safe and sound.
Good enviroment and a good company to work.
Avionics Technician (Former Employee) –  Decatur, TXJuly 6, 2015
8 hrs a day starting at 7:00 am. Usually i have something assignated for the day.
Learn of instruments systems. No very good realtionship with my co-workers. Management were very unfair.
The hardest part of the job were have to do assigments that did not correspond with my type of work.
The most enjoyable part of work was to interact with new people.
Pros
Good salary and beneficts
Cons
Racist people and not very friendly.
Fast paced and dynamic work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 14, 2016
I enjoyed working at AECOM. I learned many valuable administrative skills and had the opportunity to work in several difference work environments. In a typical day at my job I provided support to several project teams as well as my tasks within the office. This required me to acquire strong organizational skills, the ability to multi-task and prioritize, and finally to communicate and maintain professional relations with co-workers as well as clients and vendors.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Material Expeditor (Current Employee) –  New Boston, TXMarch 1, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to work with a lot of great people and work together as a team to get our production for that days work. I really enjoy what I do and making sure that my daily task is performed and completed at the end of a work day. My supervisor is the B.O.M.B!! he is awesome person to work for.
Pros
no room for advancement for permanet postions within the company as a contractor
Cons
healthcare
AECOM is an American worldwide provider of professional technical and management support services to a broad range of markets.
Help Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at work for me in the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Call Center is to provide professional and courteous IT support by means of telephone and electronic mail for the Employees and the Private Sector. During the course of the day in our fast paced call center, I create, update, resolve and provide technical support to customers requiring assistance with Software, Telecommunications, Email/Lotus Notes/Outlook, LAN support and Infrastructure issues.

I coordinate with Management in ensuring that some major program directions and changes are effectively communicated, encouraging the staff to move forward and contribute to planning, evaluation, integration, and implementation of new systems. I offer assistance to my co-workers whenever called upon for support.

The most enjoyable part of my job is providing professional and courteous IT customer service support to each one of my customers.
A wide varity of people that make the work enjoyable
Maintenance Electrician (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, COMay 9, 2015
There is a lot of new equipment that I have not worked with before, so the learning is enjoyable and interesting. Since it is a government project there is extensive paperwork that can really slow the work process and does not allow for technicians to make on the spot repairs a lot of the times. I have worked for some really good managers while working here and also worked for some that are completely disorganized that makes completing tasks difficult. I work on a rotating swing shift that is hard on the body but does allow for a week break in between cycles. For me, my co-workers are the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
rotating shift allows for a week off per cycle
Cons
health care benifits and 401k could use improvements
AECom (formerly URS Corp) was a Great Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2016
Typical day at work consisted of generating reports, maintaining internal documents and Construction progress photos relating to construction progress activities. Attending weekly staff meetings, greeting clients, reserving conference rooms for Construction Meetings; board meetings, staff meetings, etc. Ordering Office Supplies, handling phone calls. Distributing departmental mail. The most enjoyable part of job was receiving gift cards or being treated to lunch on Admin Day. Learned skills such as Prolog Manager, MS Word and Excel; mastering general office tasks; and learning to prioritizing tasks.
Pros
Great Boss; Healthcare, paid Holidays, Sick time off; brownbag lunches, pleasant work environment
Cons
No Corporate Ladder to climb
AECOM does not treat its workers well and has a lot of poor managers.
Electrical Specialist - EESS/EF (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 21, 2015
AECOM is only interested in increasing its profits. Unfortunately, those increase in profits, typically come from cutting wages and benefits from the employees. AECOM violates laws, contracts, and does not seem to care about the rights of its employees.
They are short on diversity
Consultant/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 2, 2016
Great place to work; however, some of the managers need diversity training. Some of them are o stupid, you can't do anything, but feel sorry for them.
Pros
Money, job security
Cons
management
Great atmosphere
SubPort Administrator (Current Employee) –  Coral GablesApril 28, 2016
Throughout my tenure at AECOM, I have been very fortunate to work with different Business Lines throughout various departments.

I have learned that one can never stop learning new things and have enjoyed working with people with whom I have built great relationships.

The hardest part of my job has been the constant change in Management making it very difficult to keep a clear vision of the ultimate goal.
Pros
Flexibility and balance of work and family.
Cons
Healthcare. management turn over.
Challenging and busy environment all around
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMarch 30, 2015
Well, there was never a typical day at Radian International/URS Corporation. Every day was a new day with different duties depending on what was on agenda and in need of directive. While working for company I learned how to utilize software programs such as Paradox 7 database, Lotus Notes and Electronic Time Entry systems. Let's just say I learned administrative office skills. Management was a combination of great minds working all as one. As for my co-workers, I have no complaints there. We all worked together to make sure project worked out as smoothly as possible. The hardest part of the job was knowing the project would be completed within the given time and no longer be. The best part of the job was knowing I played a part in all of it and I learned so much from the rules and regulations of the Environmental Protection Agency and the Army Corps of Engineers. Not to mention it was the best job I ever had.
Pros
Great Benefits, challenging, room for advancement and company picnics.
Cons
It was a temporary position
Productive and Fun Place at URS
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2015
I loved the URS Corporation team. Everyone was organized, friendly and professional. The Business Manager (then HR specialist) always thoroughly explained tasks to me that I didn't understand in a comprehensible way. She used jargon that I understood. And I loved my boss. He was always encouraging and I received great evaluation reviews from him.
And we all worked well as a team; tasks were always done in the timeframe in which they should have been. Deadlines were always met. The URS team were great at delegating administrative tasks. We had brown bag lunches and I always received a gift on Administrative support day. ALL the skills I acquired as an Administrative assistant is because of URS Corporation. I am very grateful to URS for giving me a chance to become their Administrative support person.
Pros
Brown Bag lunches and gifts on Admin day
Cons
No room for career advancement
Challenging job within Chemical Demil
Control Room Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pueblo, COMay 14, 2016
A typical day at work is finding out what testing and maintenance is scheduled for the day. Then assigning personnel to those tasks to ensure success. I learn something new everyday. It may be the way a system control works or a new procedure that has been developed. The hardest part of my job is working with other companies that are part of the project. I enjoy working with others on new processes and procedures.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 10, 2015
Good place to work and pick up some new skills. But the price of Medical benefits and no 401k match for for this size company is ridicules
Pros
Good people
Cons
12hr swing shift
Fun friendly atmosphere
Senior Office Administrator/HR Liaison (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 13, 2016
I enjoyed working at this company for five years. I was very busy and enjoyed my job, especially the Human Resources because i was able to meet new people and get to know them one-on-one. I learned a lot about engineering. I really liked my first to managers. They were fair, trusted and respected me, and didn't have to micro-manage me, i got along well with my co-workers. i was the "go to" person if anyone needed help. They knew they could rely on me to resolve their questions or needs. I don't think there was anything I would consider particularly hard about the job. Occasionally frustrated when trying to get something done with a deadline and being constantly interrupted. Although I had set responsibilities, every day there seemed to be a new challenge. I liked that because I was never bored. the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people. The Human Resources side was my favorite.
Pros
Working with great people, and learning a lot about engineering.
Cons
A lot of people were laid off due to a lack of work, and upper management still taking their millions of bonus money while people lost their jobs..
Wipp site
Environmental Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMJune 26, 2016
The work days are long and slow, it is a good place to start a career as you can get into the swing of things and learn. I wake up at 430, catch a bus and am at work at 630. I do not get back home until 5. A lot of interesting things to do for a couple years and then you will not learn anything else. Not a great place for advancement. It is very political. Remind you this is for the WIPP site. I have not worked at a AECOM facility.
Great team environment. I hear word they vary from office to office.
Instrumentation and Controls Engineer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 31, 2015
Super supportive colleagues and teams. Lots of great mentors walking around. Great working team. My team always managed to meet the dates we were asked to do.

Word of advice for newbies. Part of the learning process is to ask questions. Depending on who you ask, you may only get a partial answer. Another word of caution: there is plenty of challenge so COMMUNICATION IS ESSENTIAL. Also, PMs and PEs constantly ask teams to do a lot in a very short time period. The office itself has not been around for very long and it shows at times.

Great mix of different ages, genders, etc.all working together for a common goal. Lots of team building and out of work activities. This place can easily begin to feel like a home if you let it.
Pros
Lots of free lunches. Great work life balance.