AECOM

AECOM Employee Reviews

Special place now becoming an average large engineering firm
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Westford, MAApril 15, 2015
AECOM is a multi-service engineering company that has grown at a very fast pace of the past 10 years. I worked in the environmental business line, which is based on Chelmsford, MA - formerly the headquarters – more... of the environmental service firm, ENSR.

I enjoyed working at ENSR, The reason is simple: there were just a very large number of people there who had both great scientific talent in the environmental arena, great work ethic, and a great sense of camaraderie. ENSR had been through a lot of management changes over the years and this made the team there very dedicated to each other.

When AECOM came in, things started to change. Everything became more bureaucratic. They were trying to fit the management procedures into the engineering design model. It didn't add any value and created unnecessary stress. Soon thereafter, decisions regarding work started to be affected. Bean counters in Pasadena with no real sense of the environmental services market made some significant decisions that caused people to lose work opportunities. You can't just throw away long-term client relationships people have and expect them to show up the next day and have oodles of work piling in. Eventually there was a parade of talent out the door of the environmental services organization. They still have lots of great people, but they struggle much more now. This has just become much worse with AECOM's latest huge acquisition of URS. Evidently people at AECOM are being instructed to share work with the URS folks. – less
Very professional, forward moving organization
Receptionist/Administrative Support (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 15, 2015
I have gained valuable experience while working at AECOM. I take pride in providing a service to those I work for. AECOM provides a progressive, safe work environment.
Stressful workplace...apply elsewhere!!
Scheduler (Current Employee), Kennedy Space Center, FLApril 11, 2015
Pros: No Pros exist for this company.
Cons: Managers will micro-manage you, managers lack effective leadership skills, managers are very egotistical and vindictive, work environment is very stressful and miserable, management is very inconsiderate, disrespectful, and unethical.
This company does not value hardworking employees whatsoever. The reason I say this is because they have recently shown us how much they could careless about us by reducing our by $2.23/hour. They have – more... cut our vacation time off, some have lost 3 days per year in vacation and others have lost 2 days per year. They have also cut two of our holidays per year, we no longer get the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas eve off...this is the time when we should be spending time with our families. I have been with this company for 5 years and we have always received those days off. They have also raised our insurance premiums by 15% this year, and it will go up 16.5% next year and 18% in the year after that, however they will not give us any raises for the next 2 years. Oh, and there will no longer be a company match to our 401K retirement plan.

Management is very disrespectful, egotistical, unethical, discriminatory, and are the worse micro-managers ever. The company's morale has gone down tremendously in the last two years when a new branch manager was promoted. Management makes decisions based on personal vendettas rather than what is best for the company by making sure the employees are happy and satisfied. However, since management doesn't have the people skills or leadership skills to be effective managers, they could care less about whether their employees feel appreciated instead they micro-manage them and make them feel like children. It is not worth it to work here. – less
It is a good place to work with plenty of work to do in a good work environment
Industrial HVAC Technician (Current Employee), Mossville, ILApril 8, 2015
Pros: Boot vouchers, paid holidays, good PTO plans
Cons: No retirement besides 401K
A typical day starts with doing rounds and logging the building I work in and then getting my work orders for the day. I will completed these as time allows unless I get a service call in which I will – more... go do that instead. My co-workers are good to work with and very experienced and are willing to help if needed. The hardest part of the job is some of the labor intensive work required of the job but help is always around the corner if needed. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I get to work with on a daily basis. – less
Great working environment, horrible management
Project Management Specialist (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Work culture/environment
Cons: upper management lack of leadership
Completely healthy and thriving working environment mixed with management who fail to foster employee career paths, approve raises/bonuses, or simply listen for any new directions.
awesome
Project Management Administrator (Former Employee), Solana Beach, CAApril 7, 2015
Great place to work! Offices all over the world, so you can transfer virtually anywhere. Highly recommend. Good compensation and benefits.
Drater
Drafter/Designer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 6, 2015
The job is very nice to have and great people but they under bid projects in this division (O&G). I am currently on contract and have been working here for almost 1 year and they still have not hired me on yet.
Stimulating Environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 6, 2015
Pros: Coffee Service
Cons: In the midst of an office relocation
Lots of things to do each day. Typically, 8-5 but on call to assist
CEO and COO as needed. Top of the management chain. Meeting
and greeting visitors and new employees. ( A lot has changed since
2012-- Most proud of all of the different business lines that AECOM is involved in)
Eh....
Project Billing Specialist (Former Employee), Glen Allen, VAApril 2, 2015
Alright place to work while you look for a real career and collect a paycheck if you can stand sitting in front of a computer in a cubicle 8 hours a day.
Challenging and provocative place to work
Senior Vice President/Strategic Pursuit Leader, (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Large set of markets and strong talent base
Cons: Hard to maintain life balance
It was a challenging environment with very good teams of people throughout the organization. The array of markets and projects the firm was involved with made the work incredibly interesting. Working on pursuits throughout the US and in three large market sectors, allowed for the sales effort to always be refreshed and tailored to a specific pursuit.
Productive and active workplace
Engineer Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 22, 2015
Went out and reviewed the roads and tollways on a daily basis. Interacted with other interns when completing a task. Use a lot of microsoft office during the work week.
Highly respected company
Staff Engineer (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Benefits, diversity, project work
Cons: management and training very limited
Limited mangement, large company with great opportunities and diverse professional environment. This is evedent by the San Francisco office which contains civil engineers, urban planners, environmental planners, architects, landscape architects, and more.
Large company not connected
Lead I&E (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAMarch 16, 2015
Pros: income
Cons: high stress
I'm assigned to a site where work is high stress. Not much contact with company. Joined with URS and it seems caotic. local management reminds me of the show survivor.
I would not sugest to work at this company
Contractor for Aerotek's assignment (Former Employee), chicago, ILMarch 12, 2015
Pros: doughnuts every friday
Cons: only an half an hour lunches
I will not suggest to work for this company because they Laid me off for the a reason that is not justified. I really wanted to retired form this company but they did not understand that. I wanted to be part of a Leader here but others thought I will take the job away. I was never brought up that way so that was not my initial thoughts
Too much instablity
Quality Assurance Technician (Current Employee), Kennedy Space Center, FLMarch 12, 2015
Pros: pension, 401k, sick time, seniority
Cons: healthcare, reduction in force, lack of resources
A typical work day is trying to find enough resources including personnel to perform the tasks needed to be done. Managers perform with limited resources including personnel due to multiple lay offs. Customer – more... complain because we do not have enough people to perform what needs to be done in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job is the day to day wondering if my job will be the next one cut because the funds are not appropriated. Most enjoyable is the paycheck, pension and 401k. – less
Great Atmosphere
Lockout/Tagout Specialist (Current Employee), East Peoria, ILMarch 11, 2015
Friendly atmosphere while working along some of the hardest working employees I have ever met.

I am currently the Lockout Tagout technician. I produce and keep the LOTO documents up to date.
AECOM
Project Controls (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAMarch 10, 2015
AECOM purchased URS in November 2014. They had never owned an engineering company that worked in the oil and gas industry before and a lot of their standard procedures do not fit. We were URS legacy to – more... AECOM. The people there are hard workers that want to perform their jobs to the best of their ability. However, with the oil prices the way they are the industy has hit a slump and people are being laid off or put on leave without pay. Overall URS was a good place to work. I don't know what will happen in the future now that they are owned by someone else. – less
productive and many learning opportunities
Project Chemist (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXMarch 7, 2015
Pros: great work environment
Cons: job stabilty
8-5pm type of job with traveling 1week out of the month
- expanded knowledge in project management and database
- enjoyed the work environment and direct management
all right job.
automotive preper (Former Employee), Chambersburg, PAMarch 2, 2015
AEcom is just a contractor company that isn't good in helping there employees with what they need in there job. not a bad company.
Constant Change
VMware System Engineer III (Current Employee), Denver, COFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: great view from my office
Cons: management changes
AECOM sits in a very tight margin industry, and has only really grown through acquisitions. The latest acquisition, URS, puts AECOM on a path to "realize synergies" and "increase efficiencies". AECOM has been doing a lot of consolidating over the years and has a very frugal IT budget.

About AECOM

With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction – Read more

AECOM Salaries