AECOM

AECOM Employee Reviews

Easy company to work for with opportunities for advancement
Production Control Supervisor (Former Employee), Bagram, AfghanistanMay 6, 2015
Pros: Income
Cons: worked in a war zone
Most of any work day was compiling all data for company and government reports on production of aircraft that are in maintenance or due in for maintenance.
Federal Systems Management
Deputy Technical Manager -- DTM (Current Employee), Stafford, VAMay 3, 2015
Pros: Large Company.
Cons: Large Civil Engineering Company does not adequately support their Federal Systems Management Sector.
Top level managers do not seem to have a grasp of what is happening day to day at the middle management and lower levels within their Federal Systems Management Sector -- specifically Marine Corps programs. Many unhappy workers supporting the Marine Corps at this time.
Hostile Takeover of URS was and still is a complete fiasco
Administrative (Current Employee), Orange, CAMay 1, 2015
Pros: Pay
Cons: Constant stress, lack of direction, poor middle and upper management, no communication, no feeling of comraderie whatsoever within office
It's fairly standard in the engineering consulting industry for mergers to happen at the drop of the hat. Having been through several, I can honestly say this was the worst one ever and it has left scars that cannot be healed. I imagine if you are an accomplished engineer or a young graduate fresh out of college that this is a good place for you to work - the pay is good for some lower ranks - but other than that, go running for the hills.

Area management seems fully out of touch with the needs of local employees. Weekly and sometimes daily emails from the CEO touting the latest accomplishments of the Corporation go largely ignored because they have no impact on the little guy. Lack of training in protocols for the office is astounding.

It's clear that URS was one of many victims of the organization's business model, which is painfully obvious: Buy up all the competition by throwing cash at it, then cry at how poor your quarterly results are and begin "unplanned" layoffs left and right. Rinse, and repeat. If you work for a direct competitor, watch your back because you could be next. My advice is get out of this industry unless you are in one of the aforementioned categories of people. High pay is NOT everything.
Productive, fun, able to wear jeans everyday
Accounts Payable Processor (Contract) (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 28, 2015
Processing vendor invoices daily, voucher corrections daily. Got along with everybody. We are all friends, we laugh but still get our work done. The ideal supervisor.
Great management
Executive Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 26, 2015
I began as an exec asst to a senior ice president then when he changed jobs and moved away I moved into the office administrator position of 250 people. I learned a great deal from both positions. I lost my position because of a merger.

AECOM had a very respectful corporate environment.
Not a company an employee wants to invest for their future.
Financial/Budget Analyst (Current Employee), Stafford, VAApril 24, 2015
The benefits/salary are very low and poorly designed, no career development.
Some groups within the organization are treated differently.
Largest engineering firm with interesting and diverse project exposure
Marketing Coordinator, AECOM (Current Employee), New Orleans, LAApril 24, 2015
I enjoy interfacing with my internal clients (our employees) as well as our external clients when the opportunity presents itself.

Managing and coordinating proposals as well as marketing materials is fast paced yet exciting at the same time.
Special place now becoming an average large engineering firm
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Westford, MAApril 15, 2015
AECOM is a multi-service engineering company that has grown at a very fast pace of the past 10 years. I worked in the environmental business line, which is based on Chelmsford, MA - formerly the headquarters of the environmental service firm, ENSR.

I enjoyed working at ENSR, The reason is simple: there were just a very large number of people there who had both great scientific talent in the environmental arena, great work ethic, and a great sense of camaraderie. ENSR had been through a lot of management changes over the years and this made the team there very dedicated to each other.

When AECOM came in, things started to change. Everything became more bureaucratic. They were trying to fit the management procedures into the engineering design model. It didn't add any value and created unnecessary stress. Soon thereafter, decisions regarding work started to be affected. Bean counters in Pasadena with no real sense of the environmental services market made some significant decisions that caused people to lose work opportunities. You can't just throw away long-term client relationships people have and expect them to show up the next day and have oodles of work piling in. Eventually there was a parade of talent out the door of the environmental services organization. They still have lots of great people, but they struggle much more now. This has just become much worse with AECOM's latest huge acquisition of URS. Evidently people at AECOM are being instructed to share work with the URS folks.
Very professional, forward moving organization
Receptionist/Administrative Support (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 15, 2015
I have gained valuable experience while working at AECOM. I take pride in providing a service to those I work for. AECOM provides a progressive, safe work environment.
Stressful workplace...apply elsewhere!!
Scheduler (Current Employee), Kennedy Space Center, FLApril 11, 2015
Pros: No Pros exist for this company.
Cons: Managers will micro-manage you, managers lack effective leadership skills, managers are very egotistical and vindictive, work environment is very stressful and miserable, management is very inconsiderate, disrespectful, and unethical.
This company does not value hardworking employees whatsoever. The reason I say this is because they have recently shown us how much they could careless about us by reducing our by $2.23/hour. They have cut our vacation time off, some have lost 3 days per year in vacation and others have lost 2 days per year. They have also cut two of our holidays per year, we no longer get the day after Thanksgiving or Christmas eve off...this is the time when we should be spending time with our families. I have been with this company for 5 years and we have always received those days off. They have also raised our insurance premiums by 15% this year, and it will go up 16.5% next year and 18% in the year after that, however they will not give us any raises for the next 2 years. Oh, and there will no longer be a company match to our 401K retirement plan.

Management is very disrespectful, egotistical, unethical, discriminatory, and are the worse micro-managers ever. The company's morale has gone down tremendously in the last two years when a new branch manager was promoted. Management makes decisions based on personal vendettas rather than what is best for the company by making sure the employees are happy and satisfied. However, since management doesn't have the people skills or leadership skills to be effective managers, they could care less about whether their employees feel appreciated instead they micro-manage them and make them feel like children. It is not worth it to work here.
It is a good place to work with plenty of work to do in a good work environment
Industrial HVAC Technician (Current Employee), Mossville, ILApril 8, 2015
Pros: Boot vouchers, paid holidays, good PTO plans
Cons: No retirement besides 401K
A typical day starts with doing rounds and logging the building I work in and then getting my work orders for the day. I will completed these as time allows unless I get a service call in which I will go do that instead. My co-workers are good to work with and very experienced and are willing to help if needed. The hardest part of the job is some of the labor intensive work required of the job but help is always around the corner if needed. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I get to work with on a daily basis.
Great working environment, horrible management
Project Management Specialist (Current Employee), Sacramento, CAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Work culture/environment
Cons: upper management lack of leadership
Completely healthy and thriving working environment mixed with management who fail to foster employee career paths, approve raises/bonuses, or simply listen for any new directions.
awesome
Project Management Administrator (Former Employee), Solana Beach, CAApril 7, 2015
Great place to work! Offices all over the world, so you can transfer virtually anywhere. Highly recommend. Good compensation and benefits.
Drater
Drafter/Designer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILApril 6, 2015
The job is very nice to have and great people but they under bid projects in this division (O&G). I am currently on contract and have been working here for almost 1 year and they still have not hired me on yet.
Stimulating Environment
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 6, 2015
Pros: Coffee Service
Cons: In the midst of an office relocation
Lots of things to do each day. Typically, 8-5 but on call to assist
CEO and COO as needed. Top of the management chain. Meeting
and greeting visitors and new employees. ( A lot has changed since
2012-- Most proud of all of the different business lines that AECOM is involved in)
Eh....
Project Billing Specialist (Former Employee), Glen Allen, VAApril 2, 2015
Alright place to work while you look for a real career and collect a paycheck if you can stand sitting in front of a computer in a cubicle 8 hours a day.
Challenging and provocative place to work
Senior Vice President/Strategic Pursuit Leader, (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 24, 2015
Pros: Large set of markets and strong talent base
Cons: Hard to maintain life balance
It was a challenging environment with very good teams of people throughout the organization. The array of markets and projects the firm was involved with made the work incredibly interesting. Working on pursuits throughout the US and in three large market sectors, allowed for the sales effort to always be refreshed and tailored to a specific pursuit.
Productive and active workplace
Engineer Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 22, 2015
Went out and reviewed the roads and tollways on a daily basis. Interacted with other interns when completing a task. Use a lot of microsoft office during the work week.
Highly respected company
Staff Engineer (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Benefits, diversity, project work
Cons: management and training very limited
Limited mangement, large company with great opportunities and diverse professional environment. This is evedent by the San Francisco office which contains civil engineers, urban planners, environmental planners, architects, landscape architects, and more.
Large company not connected
Lead I&E (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAMarch 16, 2015
Pros: income
Cons: high stress
I'm assigned to a site where work is high stress. Not much contact with company. Joined with URS and it seems caotic. local management reminds me of the show survivor.
Headquarters