AECOM

1.6K reviews

AECOM Employee Reviews

Found 1,172 reviews matching the search
A place where you can learn, be confident and at the same time have fun
AutoCAD Technician / Operator (Current Employee) –  Orange, CASeptember 15, 2015
We just merged with AECOM less than a year ago. I joined URS Corp (name of previous company before merger) 9 (nine) years ago straight from Westwood College where I acquired my Associates Degree in Architectural Design/AutoCAD Drafting.

A typical day would start with red lined plans on my desk for drafting.
This activity would usually keep me busy the entire day. However, once in a while I would accompany the Project Engineer in gathering data and taking pictures of the project site. I also deliver documents like plans and bidding materials for submission to the client.

For me, the hardest part of the job was at the beginning of my nine years stay at URS. Almost everything is new, like office procedures,
technical terms, and CADD drafting techniques. Fortunately, I have some people who were more than willing to take me "under their wings" and showed me how things are done correctly. I am still learning. There are still a lot of things that I need to learn most specially with the advancing technology. But I can rest assure that my fellow co-workers will assist me whenever I needed their help.

There are a lot of things that I have learned while working that I have not learned from school. There were a lot of AutoCAD command features and short cuts that I have learned from tenured CADD Technicians.

I guess the most satisfying part of the job is knowing that I have contributed something technical for the growth of our country.
Pros
Working in a Civil Engineering environment, Knowing and working with people who knows the business well, and learning from tenured engineers and technical people.
Cons
When business is slow, I had to look for something to make me billable.
Productive and great place to work
CAD Technician Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 14, 2015
Great place to work as an intern. The work was at times difficult but I had a great team of co-workers along with my supervisor that would help me when i had questions over it. Overall, it was a great experience that I could go back and work with the same department I definitely would.
Pros
Great company that grows and lets you grow
Environmental/Safety team member (Former Employee) –  Plaquemine, LASeptember 12, 2015
I was given the advantage of being on the Administrative Team, I was always given a new opportunity especially in Safety skills. My supervisor was always fair and listened.
Pros
Global 500 company to work for
Cons
Safety
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYSeptember 10, 2015
Good place to work and pick up some new skills. But the price of Medical benefits and no 401k match for for this size company is ridicules
Pros
Good people
Cons
12hr swing shift
Productive and competitive
Mechanical Environmental Engineering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Whiting, INSeptember 10, 2015
If you like life at a fast track and a challenging environment then this is for you. I loved working for the company, the management was amazing and I had a great working relationship with colleagues, subordinates and higher management
Lots of Stress
Traffic Engineer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 10, 2015
Working for AECOM starts out as being a great position. I have learned a lot about the transportation business and have made some good friends. I have learned to set goals and achieve them. We have a hard-working team. The most enjoyable part is working together as a team to go for a common goal.

Management makes a lot of promises and really makes you believe in your job and future. But then they hire someone less experienced and someone less qualified. They tell you to have patience and apply, but they've already got someone in mind for the position. The hardest part is watching how many people put their heart and souls into their jobs and then get looked over.

Low Morale is abundant.
Pros
Teamwork, Learning Experience
Cons
Promises that are never Delivered, Nonexperienced Management
GOOD COMPANY
Structural Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  SHEN ZHENSeptember 8, 2015
My coworkers are very nice. They teach how to drawing drawings very quickly using AutoCAD. My technical director is very patient when I made mistakes in drawings.
A good day
Utility Cleaner (Current Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 7, 2015
Awesome work place, enjoy the friendship with co worker. Clean Environment fair assignments. Nice supervisor and staff.
Good collegues
Surveyor (Current Employee) –  CASeptember 6, 2015
Not to sit for the whole day in office ( want to be in movement)
Learning for the whole life and get from my work not only expirience but also a enjoing.
The hardest part of the job was the beginnig of my career .
The most enjoyable part was since i became an engeneer because my working day was 60 % outside the office and when i was much tired i came to my office to proceed my measurments there and that was a relaxing too.
Safe and Clean Workplace
Painter Prep (Current Employee) –  Hooks, TXSeptember 6, 2015
Could be some changes, for the advancement of their employees in their employment in areas in which they are qualified for
Pros
Start Employees off with vacation / sick time and pay for Employees medical insurance
Cons
No breaks other than lunch
Good place to work.
Sr. Buyer III (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas Valley, NVSeptember 4, 2015
To much micro management disturbed the team work of the employees. Kind of treated and spoken to as children when majority are 40+in age. Favoritism through out the local location, new employees placed in high level positions when the existing are most capable of being promoted etc.
Pros
Good benefits, excellent pay
Cons
Micro management and favoritism exists
Great place to work!
Supply Tech (Current Employee) –  Lemoore, CASeptember 3, 2015
I would love to keep working here but i was not able to get the clearance needed to work here so i have to find somewhere else to work
24/7 operation
Aircraft servicer (Former Employee) –  Coronado, CASeptember 3, 2015
Job started at 530am on a Naval Air station, with a job that didn't have too much work to do but continuously were busy doing work that was not in the job description. Management could have done a better job managing their people
Global company in all area
Lead Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 1, 2015
This company has more than 45000 employee and work as global
company in all area of construction design, marketing and business.
Professional Environment, Friendly People
Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 30, 2015
Overall, interning at URS was a deeply rewarding experience. I learned numerous technical programs, such as MicroStation, but I also learned how to work in a professional office environment. My coworkers were very helpful and friendly.
Lack of local Management
ENVIRONMENTAL PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 28, 2015
Company is extremely top heavy, opportunities for low to mid level advancement minimal, including training/certification/growth classes; AECOM is only concerned with their money, not clients or employees, the most selfish company I have worked for.
Great Work Crew
Archeological Crew Chief (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAAugust 25, 2015
The field crew at this company is outstanding! Everyone is very helpful and treats you like family. The company is very flexible and is always looking for work for people even when off season
Pros
Per Diem is great!
I have no complaints with my job personally, but what goes on with management and other employees is dishonarable
Lead Shipping/Receiving (Current Employee) –  Mossville, ILAugust 25, 2015
We here at URS are to do maintenance for Caterpillar, Inc. and we have one Supervisor and more that call on other resources to get the job done. Why are we here?
AECOM does not treat its workers well and has a lot of poor managers.
Electrical Specialist - EESS/EF (Current Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 21, 2015
AECOM is only interested in increasing its profits. Unfortunately, those increase in profits, typically come from cutting wages and benefits from the employees. AECOM violates laws, contracts, and does not seem to care about the rights of its employees.
Great place to start my career and gain experience
Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 20, 2015
More than anything else, the people within AECOM make it a great place to work from hiring manager and throughout the entire civil, structural, and architectural disciplines. Projects are large scale, complex, and challenging, working and coordinating with all disciplines to complete the design. There is diverse clients as well, industrial process, Oil and Gas, Power, Nuclear, Mining, and DOE. Competitive benefits.
Pros
Up until this year, all training for PDH and licensing fees are provided by the company. Great diversity of complex, highly technical projects.
Cons
The company has said for a long time that it's greatest asset is all the employees, yet seems a contradiction that people are not held onto when work gets slow.