AECOM Employee Reviews

Found 1,172 reviews matching the search
Company looked attractive but management was disappointingly extremely poor.
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Oil & Gas, TexasDecember 2, 2014
As a fortune 500 company, I thought a billion dollar company had all their policies and procedures in order. HUGE MISTAKE!!! They have policies that are not followed, rules that change daily and management that are unfair, unjustified and have no idea how to lead.

Everyone has a job to do but there is so much waste. The culture is to do as little as possible and get away with whatever you can. Do not think of better, more effective, efficient or more cost saving ways of conducting business because they make enough money to waste $100k a month.

Very disappointed on the mis-management, lack of leadership and total disregard to what was best for the business.
Pros
fortune 500 company
Cons
managment, written policy not followed or no policy
Typical day of work at LetterKenny
heavy equipment mechanic (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAFebruary 26, 2013
I would go to work, and have a safety meeting for 10 minutes every morning. I would go to my work bay and get all the parts i needed to complete my task for the truck that was currently in my work bay.upon completion of the truck i would fill out required paperwork and start to assemble parts for the next vehicle to come into my bay. The management at my job site could definetly use work but we were able to get the jobs completed safely and in the required time. the hardest part of my job was lifting the ac condensors into the trucks.It was a combination of the weight and awkward shape of the items. the most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the finished product that i had completed and everything in good working order with no gigs or defects.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
dress code conduct and lack of communication
Productive and Fun Place at URS
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2015
I loved the URS Corporation team. Everyone was organized, friendly and professional. The Business Manager (then HR specialist) always thoroughly explained tasks to me that I didn't understand in a comprehensible way. She used jargon that I understood. And I loved my boss. He was always encouraging and I received great evaluation reviews from him.
And we all worked well as a team; tasks were always done in the timeframe in which they should have been. Deadlines were always met. The URS team were great at delegating administrative tasks. We had brown bag lunches and I always received a gift on Administrative support day. ALL the skills I acquired as an Administrative assistant is because of URS Corporation. I am very grateful to URS for giving me a chance to become their Administrative support person.
Pros
Brown Bag lunches and gifts on Admin day
Cons
No room for career advancement
Lots of Stress
Traffic Engineer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 10, 2015
Working for AECOM starts out as being a great position. I have learned a lot about the transportation business and have made some good friends. I have learned to set goals and achieve them. We have a hard-working team. The most enjoyable part is working together as a team to go for a common goal.

Management makes a lot of promises and really makes you believe in your job and future. But then they hire someone less experienced and someone less qualified. They tell you to have patience and apply, but they've already got someone in mind for the position. The hardest part is watching how many people put their heart and souls into their jobs and then get looked over.

Low Morale is abundant.
Pros
Teamwork, Learning Experience
Cons
Promises that are never Delivered, Nonexperienced Management
Not the ideal place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, TXOctober 16, 2014
It has decent pay but benefit management and working around your schedule is the worst. The really stress safety at the job which is a really good quality but on the other had god forbid you ever hurt yourself it takes a act of Congress to get any kind of medical attention unless it's by there company physician. Growth is very limited with the company unless you know someone that's in the buddy system. Overall great pay but know room for advancements. A pretty sh*tty place to work for. Dont want your time and potential looking to grow with the company. Better of going somewhere where your talents and skills can be utilized.
Pros
great pay and stress saftey
Cons
not worth your time energy or effort long term
productive and fun work place
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  texarkana TXApril 11, 2013
A first in the morning we had a meeting talk abouth production end saifty I' learned a lot of things abouth diessel motors I' work in commponents therdown blowers ,and put them back thogether replace worn pars also turbos air compressors fuel ingetor fuel pumps wather pumps oil coolers I learn to work whit a lot of tools never had any ploblems whit my co-workers the hardest part of my day was make it tru the day long ten hours four days a week end sam times five or six days a week. be in my work area makin a difrence, make me feel good. the last thing the I did was refurnish fire extinguishers therdown end put back as new
Pros
lots of avertime
Cons
healthcare
Productive and Professional
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 19, 2016
Came in and stocked the kitchens on my floor, made sure each meeting room was clean, answered and transferred phone calls, scheduled meetings for business partners, distributed mail, filed and organized file including invoices and greeted and escorted visitors.

I learned many things including how to record invoices, use microsoft outlook to its full potential, helped sharpen my multitasking skills and how to work well under pressure.'

My coworkers were very nice and helped me with anything I needed.

Hardest part would have been dealing with difficult visitors or business partners at times.

Most enjoyable part is all the free food you would get after cleaning up the meetings since most request food orders.
Great place to start my career and gain experience
Structural Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 20, 2015
More than anything else, the people within AECOM make it a great place to work from hiring manager and throughout the entire civil, structural, and architectural disciplines. Projects are large scale, complex, and challenging, working and coordinating with all disciplines to complete the design. There is diverse clients as well, industrial process, Oil and Gas, Power, Nuclear, Mining, and DOE. Competitive benefits.
Pros
Up until this year, all training for PDH and licensing fees are provided by the company. Great diversity of complex, highly technical projects.
Cons
The company has said for a long time that it's greatest asset is all the employees, yet seems a contradiction that people are not held onto when work gets slow.
Overall great place to work, with great pay, and room for advancement
Aircraft Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 4, 2014
Typical day includes, the launch and recovery of around 6 helicopters, as well as inspect 2 or more of them after they shut down or before initial flight. You Learn multiple parts of helicopters, in order to deem them safe for flight. You also learn safety procedures and how to operate aircraft towing equipment. Management is present, but not overbearing as long as you have the knowledge and initiative to perform within the standards of a professional. Co-workers work well as a team and 99 percent of the time get along. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the conditions of the weather. Most enjoyable part is learning various skills and the comradery.
Pros
works with personal schedule and great benefits.
Cons
uneven distribution of work.
Excellent company to work for
Aircraft Mechanic II (Former Employee) –  Marana, AzMarch 15, 2014
It was a real pleasure to work for the company. We started as LSI in 1999, got acquired by EG&G several years later, and then acquired by URS. I was promoted three times, received several employee of the quarter awards, trained as an ISO auditor, and enjoyed working for the company for fourteen and a half years. Unfortunately thanks to the powers that be our funding was never extended, or renewed and we lost our contract. So twenty good aircraft mechanics were laid off, however we were given 5 weeks notice of the lay off. Loved the company hated the uncertainty.
Pros
excellent benifits package, great pay, paid travel expenses (for work of course)
Cons
as a contractor your time is unknown (have a backup plan)

Want to know more about AECOM?

Ask a question
By far the worst company I have ever worked for!!
Electronics Technician Maintenance II (Current Employee) –  MCLB Albany, GAJanuary 8, 2014
The only reason I gave this company 1 star is because I had to!! If it was up to me I would give this company a -5 star!! Management is horrible. Hostile work place. Dont get paid for holidays even if shop is closed down for the holiday. This company cares nothing about its employees unless it benefits their own pockets. Supervisors dont even know their employees names, who their employees are, who their employees look like, or what their employees do!! Supervisors want even talk to their employees!! I have been here for a few years and just found out who my supervisor is!! If your looking for a job KEEP LOOKING PLEASE!! Dont put yourself through this HELLHOLE!!
Pros
none except paycheck
Cons
everything
Management / Human Resources UNETHICAL... NOT an Equal Opportunity Employer
Administative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMay 4, 2012
If you are applying for any position in the Santa Ana office, beware. The Management on the 5th floor is unethical. What's interesting is Human Resouces is in the same area and does nothing about the unethical pactices, statements, and racial undertones that take place. They don't adhere to their own LMS system. (Learning Management System) They will hire you to fill the need for the moment, and when they feel they are caught up and you are close to your 90 days, they let you go. So if you are seriously looking for full time employment, be very careful with your interest here. Be straight up in your interview, ask them if the position is long term and if so, how long has the position existed at this location.
Cons
unethical management
Mission Readiness
Warehouse Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lakehurst, NJMay 18, 2015
Morning Meeting with upper Management to discuss plan of attack for the day and safety processors.

Increase productivity for inventory on parts and tool received from vendors.

Construct fully loaded tool boxes for the Army.

Unload any incoming trucks with product from vendors.

Categorize and inventory Dormo Material

Co workers worked together threw most of the day.

Co workers were willing to help when help was needed.

Management did not know how to lead.

Management did not communicate with one another.

The Managers were not a custom to new ideas.

The hardest part about the day was doing the same job several different times in the same day.

The most enjoyable part of the day was knowing we made a difference supporting the Troops delivering our product on time.
Pros
Work hours were great
Cons
Job Security
Very poor management and low pay
Laboratory Tech (Current Employee) –  Fort Collins, COMay 3, 2013
Management is clueless when it comes to judging the amount of work they have often times drive all the way across town to find out they dont have anything for me to do and get sent home...yes they could have called me but dont know how to pick up a phone I guess. This has happened to me and multiple other employees on more then one occasion. The management pays no attention to who come in on time or who is actually working. The job requires a BA but I do not feel Im being compensated for the skill level required for the job. I will never work for this company again!
Pros
fellow lab techs
Cons
pay, beneifits, management incompency
Good place to work for expierence
Mechanic II - Structural Mechanic/Mech II AIM/ASER (Current Employee) –  Joint Base Lewis McChordJanuary 16, 2013
URS is a good place to work to gain expierence on different aircraft. I have learned two different helicopters and multiple modifications for both the CH-47 and the UH-60. Management I feel lacks employee retention skills as evidence by the high turn over rate and dissatisfaction by the mechanics on the floor. I have very good co-workers that I can depend on anytime. The hardest part is changing my schedule last minute to get the job done and on time. I have always made it work but thats not to say it was not difficult. I enjoy my job and the people I work with and there is nothing I would not do to make sure the job is done safe and correct the first time.
Pros
expierence
Cons
healthcare, lack of proper leadership
Productive and effiecient company.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Herlong, CADecember 17, 2012
It was a typical day at work, come clock in and go to your work station and start working. I learned great work ethic, and how to be a fantastic team player. Management was wonderful, they were never riding your back about little things, and were always there to talk to if you had any issues with anything. My co-Workers were pleasant to work with, made some friends and they made the day go by fast. The workplace was an hour away and we did 10 hour shifts so i was pretty beat at the end of the day with the work and all the driving. The people i worked with and the phenomenal bosses i had made for a very enjoyable job.
Pros
good company with great pay, and awesome management.
Cons
long work days along with a long commute.
Work in a large corporation environment
Associate VP of NE Architecture (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 20, 2012
1. Typical work day starts at 8:30 AM and ends at 5:30 PM. Overtime is often required due to work load.
2. I learned and became familiar with the work environment within a large corporation as opposed to smaller firms.
3. There were several layers of management with full technical and financial responsibility at the Project Manager level.
4. My former co-workers were like the ones in every other architectural company: some enthusiastic and some less enthusiastics.
5. The hardest part of my job was to bring in new clients and respective work for my studio.
6. The most enjoiable part of the job was to see my projects completed and constructed.
Pros
financial power
Cons
high load of paperwork for project managers
Too much focus on utilization
Geographic Information Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 11, 2012
AECOM is a big company so there are a lot of varied projects I get involved with. I have learned a lot while on the job about environmental reporting to federal agencies. The management is horrible and always way too focused on the bottom line and don't show care or concern for employees. Management is old and not looking to push innovative new ideas. The hardest part of the job is working with people in other offices without face to face contact. The thing I like the most is the opportunity to work on web servers creating interactive mapping websites. I do enjoy working with other employees in the company, including my 3 direct reports.
Pros
good people to work with, interesting projects
Cons
too much focus on utilization, billing, lack of innovation
Iowa Fertilizer Co.
construction (Former Employee) –  wever, iowaJanuary 4, 2015
Upper management has caused the jobsite to be in utter chaos in terms of planning work projects that do not conflict with each other. The waste of time and money is absolutely outrageous. Foremans are required by the unions to be local to the burlington area and it appears some of them have no idea what they are doing. Working hours are 60 to 70 hours a week and if you miss time you are regarded as a serious problem because it's a time and material job and you are cutting in to their bottom line. It is colder than **** out there. Other than that, it's just a wonderful place to work.
Pros
every other sunday you get off
Cons
working 10 hours a day for 13 days at a time
Productive work environment with an outstanding safety culture.
DPE Tender/Technical Expert (Current Employee) –  78068 Ordnance Rd. Hermiston, Ore. 97838December 7, 2012
I work a 12 hour rotating shift. I learned to look at my work from a safety mindframe. My upper management incorporate a safety culture of excellent value. The immediate management tend not to have some of the same attributes as upper management does. My co-workers are friendly, hard working, and team oriented. The hardest part of the job is sometimes your busy and sometimes your not busy at all do to production and safety circumstances driven by management and DEQ which can make the 12 hour shifts seem very long. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I have contributed to the disposal of chemical weapons to make the community safer.
Pros
paid lunches, bonuses, great experience and pay.
Cons
difficult dupont rotating shift work schedule.