Aflac Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,068 reviews
Be Very Careful!
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 9, 2013
I worked for Aflac for 6 months out of Lawrenceville,GA. Ron Kirkland's district. Like everyone that starts this job, I was very eager to get out and get to selling. There were some red light signals but, I am from the world of sales and I understand that you have to really work hard. Here is my review:

I started working there in the latter part of 2012, I sat through 2 interviews one with the Regional Manager and the District Sales Coordinator. The first interview they sell you on how you can make a lot of money selling Aflac products etc. etc. The second interview you meet with the District Sales Coordinator who also tries to convince you that you can make a lot of money selling Aflac, he then reviewed the other agents sales numbers with me and went over the commission splits with me and it sucked!, my first right light!

The DSC also told me that I could not enter sales school unless I produced 1,500.00 worth of business, yes and without knowing what I am selling without a temporary license! My second red light! Well I soon found out that NO ONE on the team who was hired before me or after me was given that stipulation. With no FORMAL TRAINING! I sold 1,500.00 and then I was allowed to go to sales class, the classes were pretty good however, in the meantime I was shadowing the other agents on sales calls a FEW TIMES. Here's the catch, those same sales agents then want a piece of the action when you start getting accounts however, NOBODY discussed this with me until I started getting accounts and making money, this definitely was not in my contract, my third red light! I
  more... soon found out that I was left out to get the business (APPOINTMENTS) but I was not allowed to sell? Really? per my DSC!!!!, my fourth red light!!!

Feeling that I was already invested I went out and got the business and I was charged 50% of my business! The excuse I was given that I was not experienced enough to do the presentation to the employer therefore, I have to pay my DSC or CIT to do this for me! For example, if I earned 5,000 in Annual Premiums divide by 2=2,500, before my commission splits which is 2,500*0.65=1,625, then they take another 35%, so then you walk away with 1,056.25! and so does you DSC or CIT!! I then realized that I was working to put money in their pockets! I realized that my contract states that they are entitled to a percentage but, it did not state 50%! Really! My fifth red light!

By this time, I have more accounts in my pipeline so my strategy was to slow down on getting the business because it seemed as if every time I made a sale I was getting hit really bad! So I had another presentation, this time the CIT brings another agent (who at the time had no sales) to help do the presentation. However, not only did I have to split the CIT but also the other agent and NOBODY discussed this with me prior to the appointment!, sixth red light!

By this time my numbers are a lot better than the VETERAN agents and know they want to got out on sales calls with me!, knowing that if I make money they make money!

Aflac is a very difficult product to sell! Although their products are great, it is very difficult trying to get people to understand the need for having Aflac! So when you get an account you can bet you have worked your butt off to get it and then to have your commission picked over is just not right! My last red light! I quit!

Sorry for the long review! :-)
Pros
great produts!
Cons
bad commission splits, feels like a pyramid scheme!

Comment – June 28, 2013

I am really glad to see this. I had feeling that it is a legit business but feels like a pyramid scheme. The interview was actually group interview and NOT an interview at all. It was more of an INFOMERCIAL. Although I have a feeling I may succeed in this, I don't want my commission to be cut in half like that.

Productive workplace. Job satisfaction came with ensuring a good customer resolution, assisting customers with claims at difficult times.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 13, 2013
A typical day at work involved logging in to multiple computer programs & the telephone, and answering customer inquiries, providing customer support, resolving policy, claims and technical systems issues at the point of call or referring them to appropriate area for follow up.

I learned that "difficult' customers are challenges. I learned not to take thiings customers would say personally by knowing that what they were saying came from a place where they were in their lives at the moment: afraid because of a health issue, overwhelmed with family or job issues that was affecting their tone, etc. I learned a lot about diffusing, empathizing, and putting myself in the customers' place. This helped me resolve almost all issues at the point of call. I learned to mirror the customer for the best call outcome. For instance if someone was in a hurry & I could provide accurate information in a more abbreviated format, while maintaining the integrity of the information, I would do so. And one of the most important things I learned is that we all need someone to do our jobs. Regardless of the job, with very few exceptions, we need one another to be successful.

For the most part, management provided the necessary support; but, did not micromanage. This empowered me to do my job well, and helped me to maintain a confidence that I tried to show in every customer interaction.

My coworkers were great. I'll have to say on each team I was on we had a good balance of organizers, participators, empathizers, happy people, quiet people, creative people, etc.

The hardest part of my job had to
  more... be when I had to explain to a customer when their policy did not provide a benefit they wanted to claim. It was something I did well; but, being in the business of helping people, it is difficult when you have to do this.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was when I knew I had satisfied the customer. When someone would call with a difficult issue & I could provide helpful insight and either a resolution to the issue myself, or the best route for resolving the issue as expeditiously as possible. Being able to go home each day and know that I'd helped so many people with my abilities and my knowledge. My favorite thing to say, "I'm glad I could help."
Pros
company benefits, good, secure & somewhat remote work environment, onsite cafeteria, frequent health fairs, opportunities to participate in mentoring programs, workshops, excellent corporate training, onsite fitness center, library.
Cons
inability to participate in some of the company activities because we had to staff the phones.
Aflac in Denver
Aflac Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 12, 2013
I started out with a strong hope that people needed what I offered. I found it very rewarding to be able to help the majority of people who would need cash while they are recovering from being injured or sick and couldn't earn a paycheck. What became incredibly challenging was getting permission to get in front of people by their employer's to be able to offer an affordable policy ($7 to 10 per week) with a pre tax payroll deduction that made it more like $3 to $4 a week net.

I found HR reps, bookkeepers and business owners reluctant to add "extra work" to their plate so benefits would never make it to their employees. I would ask myself "How hard is it to add a line item to your payroll deductions and give an employee 30 minutes to sign up for benefits once a year?"

Aflac offers some very generous plans for cancer recovery and treatment, accidental injury, disability and dental work- to name a handful.

If a business looked a little closer they might see that Aflac is ranked as the most ethical insurance company nationwide and pays claims in 4 days. An HR rep or small business owner could have saved their company hundreds each month in FICA taxes by offering a pretax benefit and add much needed benefits to their practically non existent benefits plan in the process. But instead the Aflac Agent would hear "nope- we're good thank you, good bye"... with no opportunity to be heard. This is based on roughly 20 business approaches per day for 18 months.

As a result of not being able to open as many accounts as I needed to support my family, I left to find full time employment
  more... elsewhere.

Today, I find it troubling that so many people in my community will go on temporary welfare due to no back up plan that could have easily been purchased by their employer or at least been facilitated through their employer through payroll for the equivalent cost to that of a run to Starbucks.

To the agent starting out- Aflac is a great company, they offer a generous new business commission and renewals when you are able to sell a plan. If you don't have a computer of your own called an "SNG computer", it is really tough to sell a policy or get stuff done. I fortunately bought an SNG computer right from the start and it helped me tremendously when I did get a yes. You will also want to really have a high endurance for rejection as the job offers you very little in leads if at all. You will also find that many places have had an Aflac agent come in before and will find you to be a nuisance and turn you away. I used an approach with business owner's I knew and then used their experience to talk about offering a plan to a neighboring business which sometimes worked. Aflac calls that four corner marketing.
Saturated market with no security
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAFebruary 15, 2014
I sold aflac for 2.5 years and lets just say I'm overjoyed to have a different job. I saw many people come into the organization and leave actually owing money back to aflac. You are working in a horribly saturated market and are constantly encouraged to recruit more competition. Why? Because the structure is similar to a multi-level marketing scheme. No one in the sales force (associate, district coord, regional coord, state coord, territory, and national) are employees of Aflac. 75% of all new business is written by associates with less then a year experience. This is evident in the 95% turnover. I come from a small metro area of about 120,000 and there are 2 district managers with around 20 associates each at any one time. Out of those groups only about 10 have been working for over a year. The reason for this is you hit your friends and family up and make some pretty good money but when you've used your network up you're staring at a market where you're directly competing with many others for a limited number of businesses. Then when you can't find any businesses to sell and aren't making money you quit. When you quit your friends and family drop the coverage they bought from you and you're left paying back the unearned advance. It sucks!
Let's say you make it past the first year. Yay for you! It's about to get really hard. You're now balancing a year's worth of admin (claims, etc), trying to convince people to keep their coverage you sold them last year when you are re-enrolling, and trying to find more businesses. When tax time comes you better have saved because you've
  more... had nothing withheld so the 7% sis you're used to is now 15%. Plan on putting back 25% for taxes at least.
I drove an average of 100 miles a day cold calling so plan on spending a lot of money on gas. I also had to travel far from home a lot to find areas that weren't quite so saturated so I averaged 2 or 3 hotel rooms a month and while these expenses are tax deductible they are out of pocket. I did see a few associates have to quit because they had no money to put gas in their car to go to work.
I could continue to go on but my advise would be to find something else. Aflac has run their business model into the ground.
Pros
you are your own boss. free marketing material.
Cons
no guarantee of income in a horribly saturated market
A Complete 100 Percent Rip-Off
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OhioJune 30, 2015
It's amazing this company has gotten away with this BS for so long. First, they prey on unemployed, down-on-their luck people. They bring you in, make all these promises, fill your head with ideas, and then... nothing.

You spend countless hours in training and meetings, and don't get one red cent for any of it. They sell you on the premise that you are your own boss, but yet supervisors harass you daily about making cold calls, etc.

Mainly I drove around every day, wasting gas, to make cold calls to places that had already been visited by 100 other AFLAC agents. As you can expect, they generally weren't happy to see me. You MIGHT make a sale or two if you know people who work at a certain company, but chances are that they either already have AFLAC or they are not interested AT ALL in purchasing.

Then if you ever do get a lead, you won't get full commission because of course, your supervisor will go with you so he can get a piece of the pie.

I worked there two months and spent plenty of money on gas, lunches, business cards (they don't even give you free cards), and other stuff. It's just not worth it. All the hassle, rejection, meetings, pep talks, etc.., it's all garbage. Just a bunch of shysters trying to get over on people.

And top things off, after I left the company, they tried to take me to collections for 80 bucks I supposedly owed for "advance commission charge backs, advanced personal deductions or other items that were on my monthly statement."

First of all, I never asked for any advances. I didn't make any sales. The company basically wasted two
  more... months of my life, cost me money,and now you're trying to stick me for 80 bucks? I told AFLAC Collections to go ahead and take me to court. I'm not giving them one dollar. I'll trash them to any and every media outlet I know.

AFLAC should be ashamed for taking trying of advantage of people trying to make a decent living. The agents who are successful are the ones who were out making calls years ago. Nowadays, either companies have AFLAC already or they hate AFLAC and want nothing to do with it. There's no in between.

If you're willing to kill yourself without the promise of regular pay, go for it. You'd be better off working at a gas station or liquor store. At least you get a check.
Pros
Cons
No salary, benefits, leads.
Not What I was Told
insurance sales (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 22, 2015
I was called about this job and was hesitant at first. I thought for sure it would be cold calling and driving to business after business (when I didn't have a car). I told the person that I shared a car with my wife and that could be an issue but he told me to come in anyways.

In the interview I asked if I would be cold-calling. He said no. He said he didn't do that, that he had a company set up appointments and went to them and cashed in. He told me that his goal was to get me set up with a few accounts to get me started and familiar with the process, and then to turn me loose. He then told me about the compensation, the trips, the residuals, and I basically blew off another interview to join up. After spending money to get licensed I started showing up at the office.

And then I was told I would be cold calling. First 50 calls a day. Then 100. Then 200. Then I was told I needed to make at least 250 cold calls a day to be successful. I gave it a shot. I hated it. After 1000s of calls I finally got an appointment set up, but both managers had given up on me at that point. They didn't make any time to see it go through.

They brought me on a bunch of trips with them to address former clients that they were talking to during the open enrollment period. Never once did I see them talk to a new client, or open a new account. I asked about the service that set up appointments and was told that I shouldn't use it until I had a solid client base set up for myself.

Then they told me that I wasn't successful because I always came late and left early (you know, because I had
  more... to pick up and drop off my wife). Both managers contradicted the other when giving cold-calling advice. One would say not to leave messages and to have a tight pitch. The other would tell me to leave messages and just make sure they knew I worked with some company like them.

2 months later and I haven't seen a dollar. Most of the people I called told me they get called all the time. Some of the people already had Aflac.

The manager here talked bad about everybody that used to work for him (including his son), and now I know that's how he is talking about me too, despite busting my butt even after being lied to.
Pros
The possibility of good money. Good trip incentives.
Cons
Lies, 100% commission with zero help in the beginning.
Unproductive workplace due to inconsistent local management styles and commission only terms
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Buena Park, CAAugust 30, 2013
Working with Aflac, I have come to understand that they thrive on the entrepreneurial spirit in the sense that you are able to validate your work / life schedule according to those personal financial goals you've set for yourself. This can be very rewarding at times; however, there are also many times when this can be more than challenging. You're success is truly determined by that experienced 'team member' you've partnered with. This is determined by that area for which you reside. With that said, should you be 'new' to the insurance industry, and you possess the outside sales qualities desired to be successful, you will succeed in time given the entry level position is paid on 'commission' only terms. However, you're career is determined upon that selling style developed in line with the training and tools provided by Aflac University and your local 'management' teams. Due to the fact that Aflac sales positions are paid on a commission only basis, with no true sales directives & salary per year, there tends to be a high turnover rate for independent sales agents.

In my short time, thus far working with Aflac, I have discovered there are many aspects to this organizations for which you can truly be successful. However, as many new sales associates are trained to prospect all businesses with an individual portfolio, this small business platform does not always work for large organizations. Therefore, local management does not always support working with organizations on a large business platform, where commissions to be made might suffer. This, regardless of the fact that
  more... Aflac Group policies make the premium rates for customers extremely cheaper vs. individual policy rates. In today's market place this is a high selling point for employers.

Ultimately, the business you choose to do with Aflac (individual, group, or combo of both) can be extremely difficult as there is often little local support given to new agents, should they already have an understanding of how Afac products work.
Pros
work and life balance, you make your own schedule
Cons
position is paid on commission only terms
AWFUL. Terrible, greedy management.
Regional Admin (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COJanuary 26, 2016
I worked at an Aflac regional office located in Centennial, CO. For your sake, DO NOT accept an interview there. They will lure you in with "flexibility" and "make as much as you want".
Its a contractor position, you have to study and take the state insurance licensure test in order to become "part of the team".
Some people worked from 5 AM till 6 PM at night, because all you do is cold calling businesses and trying to sell them insurance, which no one wants. It's only supplemental insurance, not major.

I would hear the District and Regional managers discussing how they need to get more people on their teams so they can make more money this coming quarter, because $200,000 a year wasn't enough yet. One of them specifically said " If I wanted to, I could take a year off and just lay on a beach in the Bahamas and still make 100K"

This is the biggest pyramid scheme out there. They get anyone they can to slap a license on and then count them an "employee". I've worked with some unprofessional people who came in hoodies and jeans to work while I was there.
I felt bad for those poor people dressed nicely waiting patiently to be interviewed, I just wanted to tell them to run away because they have been tricked into coming here by empty promises.

THIS IS AN INSURANCE SALES AGENCY. That's all you do, they hire you and you up-sell indecent policies to businesses. And the managers get 10% of the commission you make!

So basically, you have to get a license (which is an 8 hour class and a 3 hour test), then you have to hit a certain quota so the managers can profit off
  more... of you, and all you get are the possibility to go on a company trip or earn a prize if you do REALLY well, I haven't seen many people get that far.

You have bi-weekly motivation meetings because everyone wants to quit after the second day, so good luck with that! The manager is an unprofessional woman who loves acting like she cares when all she really wants is to turn you into a money bag for her own profit.
Pros
Work when you want I guess?
Cons
Too many. Poor management, ponzy scheme, constant meetings, independent contractor, drive around all day
Dont be fooled!
B2B Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Marriottsville MDAugust 31, 2015
They start by making the interview process seem very serious and selective.

On day one you report to a boiler room type atmosphere where you can have trouble finding a seat. The group of folks who have been around a while "rent" real desk space.

They assign you to a team leader that hands you a section of the yellow pages. While you are acting like a glorified telemarketer, you observe a real look at their lack of selective hiring. After listening to success stories that seem to fall apart later you jump on the phone calling local business owners in about a 40 mile radius of the office. You quickly find out that the people are rude and have been called thousands of times.

A few bullet points

1) They will hire anyone including the 19 year old kid with no car that just left McDonald's. So the place is always packed with people that hang around for a few days.

2) They work you for your sales contacts both professionally and family members.

3) Your sales manager will sell your easy contacts for you (to make fast commissions), and happily take half of your commission as a return for their training and expertise. Once they have exhausted your contacts they move on to the next group of fresh meat assigned a week later.

4) They will make you pretend to be a hiring manager while you sift through resumes one evening per week. They do buy you pizza if you want a free meal.

5) You sell a few deals and are even talked into buying a few of your own policies as a way for you and YOUR MANAGER to receive bonuses on early progress.

6) The really bad news! A customer
  more... of one of your accounts quits/losses his/her job. You get charged back the commission you received on the sale of the policy. I have a friend who is actually still making $50.00 per month payments for charged back revenue.

Oh ...And when you push back on the ridiculous demands they will proclaim that you are just not coach-able.
Pros
Free Pizza night! Good product that actually helps people.
Cons
talk about multi level marketing! And yes you are at the bottom.
Great Career
Purchase and Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMay 19, 2015
• Administers bidding process and contracts for vendor performance/compliance for the purpose of securing items and/or services within budget and in compliance with district and/or state regulations.
• Assists staff and vendors for the purpose of providing information and facilitating purchasing process.
• Attends meetings as assigned for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform job functions.
• Compiles data from a wide variety of sources for the purpose of analyzing issues, ensuring compliance with a variety of policies and procedures, and/or monitoring program components.
• Contacts vendors for the purpose of verifying information and/or responding to inquiries.
• Distributes purchase orders, vendor information, outstanding order log, etc. for the purpose of providing reference documents for completing purchasing process.
• Evaluates documentation for the purpose of ensuring proper use of district funds in the acquisition of supplies, equipment and/or services.
• Maintains documents, files and records for the purpose of providing up-to-date reference and audit trail for compliance.
• Monitors purchase orders, contracts, bids and budgetary expenditures; expedites delivery for the purpose of ensuring accurate allocation of funds and/or adherence to fiscal regulations.
• Prepares a variety of written materials for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference and/or conveying information.
• Processes documents and materials for the purpose of distributing information and/or acquiring resources to support
  more... District operation in conformance with established guidelines.
• Researches a variety of for the purpose of recommending purchases, contracts and maintaining district wide services.
• Responds to inquiries for the purpose of resolving issues or referring to appropriate parties
Works in theory but not practice.
Independent Insurance Agent/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAMarch 2, 2015
A typical day at Aflac as an independent insurance agent involves Monday morning meetings - talking about goals, quotas, and how much money was made the previous week, prospecting - going door to door trying to get individuals and businesses on board with Aflac, and repeat. Although this doesn't seem bad, your pay is 100% commission, meaning no matter how much time you put into your work it doesn't mean you will always get paid. Sometimes you pay to work. They tell you to keep hitting doors and drilling the concept of the law of large numbers , but even if you hit those doors and put countless hours in, you get nothing out of it because some people don't want Aflac or just don't have the time to listen or get their employees together. More or less your just planting the seed for them and there is no reciprocity for you as an individual. Although I have seen success with some individuals, I would say one out of many will be successful. That said there employee retention rate is not very high. I would only recommend this job if you are financially stable or as a part time one. The co-workers are great and friendly but when it comes to getting commissions it becomes cut throat as you are all competing for the same businesses and areas, and the team leaders create favorites among their team members. The most enjoyable part of the job is hitting doors because you get to meet all kinds of people and see many different businesses. If a received any thing from this job is sales skills and social skills as well as how employee benefits work. So in conclusion there concept of paying their  more... employees solely by commission along with the law of large numbers only works in theory but not in practice.  less
Pros
meeting people, learning sales skills, social skills, work on your own time
Cons
the pay, work environment, favoritism, paying to work, non-consistent.
Think carefully before you decide to represent Aflac!
Intern (Former Employee) –  NJMarch 3, 2014
I previously interned with Aflac. My responsibilities were a combination of selling and recruiting. Also, as this is the insurance industry, the salary is entirely commission and bonuses. There is no base salary.

It's a very tough market and I gradually realized that selling insurance is not for me. At least I gave it a try. The part that I didn't like most was all the cold-calling. I soon realized businesses were contacted multiple times by Aflac. So, I had to deal with many unfriendly business owners via the phone and in-person who were not interested in hearing anything about Aflac's supplemental policies.

The recruiting part of the internship was slightly better. Generally, people were friendlier. Of course, there were some people who had been called by Aflac alot. These people were tired of Aflac calling and screamed at me like a maniac when I called them. I did not enjoy that. Additionally, many of the people changed their minds about coming in for interviews. Maybe 20% of the people I booked for the interviews actually showed up.

During the group interview, Aflac gives you all of these promises of earning "unlimited income." I gave Aflac a try, though I realized it's not for me. In the end, I earned some money, thanks to the fact that somebody I recruited sold some policies, along with some bonuses. Overall, I spent more on obtaining the insurance licenses, gas for my car, tolls, etc., then I earned.

My recommendation to you is to consider all of these factors if you choose to pursue a career. As I mentioned for me, Aflac and selling insurance are not for me... Selling
  more... might be for you. But again, think carefully if you wish to become an Aflac agent or intern.  less
Pros
friendly managers and co-workers, flexible schedule, good learning experience
Cons
continuous rejection and disinterest, commission-based, economy
No pay Unless previous Contacts, also Depends on DSC
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  South Florida - Virgin Islands StateApril 21, 2015
I was hired when i went to a Job fair here in South Florida. I met with my soon to be DSC and RSC. the woman who eventually became my DSC asked if i had plans on owning a business, and i said yes i do eventually. She, in a way, blew smoke up my rear end and withheld information like the fact that it wasn't likely for me to make decent money until after 6 months. She also withheld the fact that i had to pay out right for EVERYTHING except literature. This included the approximate $1,000 it cost to get licensed to even have the job in the first place.

Eventually i found out that while a few of my coworkers were great and amazing, my DSC was not someone who i respected as a leader because I myself am i leader-type person and she was not doing what was expected of her. She was always procrastinating and kept a lot of business to herself and another coworker who was family.

I knew i had to leave "this moment" when i received my 1099 in January after working since the middle of May. My problem here is that i could have been flipping burger at minimum wage during that time and have made MORE than what was on my 1099. I should also mention that i didn't receive ANYTHING back in a tax return.

The moral of the story is: if you have $1,000 laying around to be licensed, and you have innumerable contacts from previous jobs, your church, your community, this is a perfect job. This is not a job for someone who is young and has no contacts even if you have great wherewithal.

Would i like to have an Aflac policy? Yes. In terms of treating their customers they are
  more... very well. They pay claims fast and the claims process itself is easy. Aflac does not, however, treat their employees in the same way they treat their policyholders.  less
Pros
Job/Work life Balance, Exploring new Areas
Cons
Absolutely no pay unless you sell a policy
NEGATIVE STARS. Horrible company to work for.
Independent Insurance Agent/Benefits Consultant (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 16, 2015
DON'T FALL FOR THE SCAM OF WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY. PRODUCTS ARE GREAT TO HAVE, HOWEVER, REGIONAL MANAGER COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THE AGENTS. She thinks she's better than everyone. She knows how to tell you what to do but never leads by example. And doesn't know how to be professional and speak behind closed doors to agents, but instead talks about agents with her office admin with office doors open. Office admin also speaks rudely of people who have come in to interview by saying they are idiots, etc. They are constantly calling people to try to get them to become agents because turnover is sooo high. Admin calls about 80-100 people per week. Very discouraging to see how saturated the market already is and still see them wanting to always hire more and more people. AND, THEY WILL TELL YOU the market is not saturated. THEY ARE LYING!!! Business owners DO NOT have time or want to take time to hear about it, and see at least 5 agents a week come through their doors so they immediately tell you they aren't interested. They also tell you during the so-called interview that you get to schedule your own hours, but then constantly have meetings planned that they "strongly encourage" you to be at, even though those places DO NOT make you any money, and they basically hold it against you if you can't go to their meetings. The whole thing is a big waste of time. And the Regional manager needs to a huge piece of humble pie! Good riddance! I'm only sorry I wasted my time with them. I hope other areas of this company are better than the Southern Indiana (Evansville, IN) area. If they are  more... all the same, the company should reconsider the way things are done.  less
Pros
Learning Experience, the hard way
Cons
Everything listed in Review and probably more!
Pay for your training, No Salary, and Door-to-Door cold calling!
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasJune 29, 2015
I had recently sold my restaurant at the time, and was looking for entrepreneurial work advancement. I met some hiring managers at a job conference and actually went in for an 'Interview' thinking I was going to get a job! LOL!

I paid for numerous semi-formal training events from $175-$250 for a 1-3 day Sales training seminar. It's aggressive and you are required to get up and practice your sales pitch!

3 months of working 8-5pm, wearing a business suit, driving from small business to business, waiting up to 2+ hours sometimes waiting to see a business owner, whom I thought I had an appointment with, only to be told: We already offer Medical insurance or, Our employees already complain that enough money is taken out of their pay; or, It's not enrollment time, or, that's not real insurance.

You're assigned to a 'Manager' who has you performing the leg work on your own dime and gas dollars. When and if you get a lead, they are suppose to come in and close the deal. Most of them look like IRS agents and they're cold as he ll, so the moment they walk in the room, the sale grows cold and the business Owner or HR Director no longer wants to do business.

It's an upfront commission based business on your own hours. You're given a pamphlet of information, asked to attend training you pay for to learn how to get your foot in the door, and will call or drive endlessly, sometimes weeks to only try and get a close on something a business and employees don't even need.

If you have spare time or money to live on for months, go for it. I suggest going into Real Estate!
Pros
Your hours; Up front commission
Cons
No salary, No leads, No training unless you pay for it, No leadership, You FEEL like an Insurance Agent LOL :)
Fun workplace with flexible hours, and the oppurtunity to help someone every day.
sales agent (Former Employee) –  fort smithJune 25, 2015
- A typical day at work starts early. I go business to business, and speak with the owners about AFLAC, and how we can help them by providing benifits to their employess, which in return would help their benifit, because statistics show that employees that have benefits threw their workplace, stay with the company longer and work harder.

- I could write a book about what I´ve learned, but iĺl try to condense it. I have learned sales and different ways to get people to buy, Ive learned about laws, rules, and regulations in insurance, Ive learned how to market, and ive learned many different tequniques to use when setting an apointment; In person and on the phone, and Ive learned SO much more.

- Management was helpful, knowledgable, and friendly.

- My co-workers were all very proffesional, and I have became well aquainted with all of the local AFLAC employees.

- The hardest part of my job was knowing someone has a need for certain policies; whether that be because cancer runs in their family, or because they have health illnesses and not being about to provide the policy that they need, because they were denied for health reasons. So, the hardest part of this job was not being able to help the most desperate people.

- The most enjoyable part of this job was being in front of people communicating every day and getting to know the clients, and being able to provide them with something that would one day help keep them and their family afloat when the financial devistations of a cancer, or an accident, or the loss of a loved one were to happen.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
Not being able to help the ones who are denied because of health conditions.
Famous Daves BBQ is a fun fast paced restaurant atmosphere with quality food and people to work with.
Insurance Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA.July 3, 2014
A typical day a Famous Daves would include setting up the bar at the opening of the shift. Once you open it is just a constant spin of seating tables taking care of them while making drinks for the entire restaurant. Famous Daves is a fast paced team atmosphere where everything happens very quickly, but your co-workers and management team help you get through the really hectic moments. To do this job you really have to be able to problem solve issues with guests quickly while prioritizing the most important on down to be the most efficient and make the most of your opportunity at every table to earn good tips. The hardest part can be the moments dealing with issues that you didn't create such as misquoted wait times for guests who are angry by the time they get to you or orders that are made incorrectly. The ability to thrive in these situations and breakdown barriers is vital to being successful. The most enjoyable part is the ability to make as much as you can and that is exciting to me as opposed to clocking in at a certain rate and knowing exactly what your going to make. I would just also like to add that anybody can become a server or bartender but, it takes a very special person to thrive in the tight windows of lunch and dinner rush dealing in very high pressure situations and not knowing what's going to be there for you on the back end. I did this for right at 10 years and with the right personality you can make very good money but not everyone has the drive it takes.
Pros
money, co-workers, relationships with regulars
Cons
slow days, no breaks, bad insurance
Excellent product with great training program
Independent Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 25, 2012
Each morning I would call prospective companies and attempt to contact the owner to set up a meeting to introduce AFLAC. At the actual meeting with the owner I would describe the different products offered by AFLAC and the benefits to the employer. I would try to get them to set up a meeting with the employees so that I could introduce the products to them and attempt to get them to purchase some of them.

I learned how to talk to the owners to convince them that AFLAC offered a very good set of products that would benefit the company and the employees to make them happier to be employed by that company. My managers were very helpful in assisting me to set up the meetings and work with me when I met with the owner.

My co-workers were fun to work with and also very helpful in suggesting better ways to convince the employers and employees what a great product we were offering.

The most difficult part of the job was getting the employer to let me talk to the employees about our programs. Most of them wanted to present it themselves and did not understand the importance of our doing this so all the questions the employees may have had could be answered.

The most enjoyable part of the job was actually talking to the employees. I enjoy helping people and felt that AFLAC offered great programs that would make them more secure if they or their family members had a medical problem and would be able to help them cover their expenses.
Pros
i could set my own hours.
Cons
convincing employers to let me talk to the employees, convincing the employees these were worthwhile programs, even in this type of economy.
Positive working environment
APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 21, 2014
There is a good sense of community in the workplace. After being with the company for a few months, I felt more connected to the people around me. If not working from home, it's important for me to be part of the work community.

I've learned a ton while on the job. I have strengthened my .NET skills and learned how to develop full stack web applications. I've learned to be a better communicator to team members and executive management.

A typical day of work for a developer varies and it depends on whether you're in a team who supports a product or a team who innovates proof of concepts. If you're on a team who supports a product, you will be doing more maintenance work. If you're developing proof of concepts, you get more exposure and freedom to be creative.

Management is generally pretty balanced. Some are more extreme on rules and some are less strict. Having a good manager makes a big difference in how one feels at work.

My co-workers have been helpful in teaching me about proprietary systems and strengthening my programming skills. I have good relationships with co-workers both past and present.

The hardest part of the job has been being put in an on-call rotation supporting one of our internal systems. I would occasionally get calls around 3 or 4am.

The most enjoyable part of the job has been for me to explore new technologies and frameworks unencumbered by deadlines. I have more of a creative side when it comes to development, but I have done maintenance too.
Pros
stock options, benefits, beautiful river front
Cons
limited career advancement from the inside, technical debt, budgets
Aflac is a great company to work for, just be prepared to be in charge of your destiny..
Independent Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 1, 2012
Atypical day at work we would start off our week with a Monday Morning Meeting. This would give us a re-cap from the previous week and our goals for the new week. After our meeting I would either cold call, business drops or go on appointments.
I learned organizational skills. I learned to improve my communication skills. I also learned how to meet with business owners, and decision makers. This portion really helped me advance because half of the battle was meeting with the president or ceo and I executed this perfectly.
Management was not really instrumental with my success because there were variables, not much training from a management stand point. I learned the business by going out into the field and meeting with decision makers and by studying my materials from training class. The more meetings I had the better close rate that I had.
Co-Workers were really nice. I really enjoyed meeting different people from different background which really gave me exposure on how to address my audiences. Though there was a lot of turnover, I learned a lot from my co-workers.
The hardest part of my job was to gain a multiple number of accounts. I did well, but this is a total numbers game.
The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting different people in various industries and finding out their needs and how my services provided a solution for them.
Pros
increasing my communication skills with decision makers.
Cons
hard to get the training that you needed to succeed through management.