Aflac Employee Reviews in United States

Showing all 1,181 reviews
Great products but no structure
Benefit Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIMarch 2, 2016
I have been in insurance for my whole career now. Aflac promises alot but fails to deliver. Even when your making thousands a week there will be someone who isn't satisfied enough and that is truly the only time you hear from them. If you live in a rural area and don't have other agents near by good luck! You better be a fast learner because you will have no support!
Pros
Products are good!
Cons
No benefits, long hours, poor communication, horrible management
Opportunities for advancement
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 10, 2016
Aflac has a great family culture and if you work hard you will advance quickly. The culture is fact pace and there are frequent changes which makes it hard to adjust. Aflac grew faster than they could keep up as a company so most of the time you will feel like your running in a high speed maze. Leadership is very supportive but inexperienced.
The great thing about Aflac is the compensation. They pay their employees well and show their appreciation with other incentives such as appreciation week.
Aflac is a great place to build your own business and a ethical company that really does care.
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 27, 2016
The management is hands on with training and have classes 3 times a week before going out and cold calling business the rest of the day. The team energy is unbelievable! I have learned a lot about sales psychology and asking open ended questions to acquire information about a prospective client. The hardest part of the job is the knocking on 40 to 50 different business doors and trying to convince them to allow you to speak to the owner or president of the company. Another difficulty is the not knowing when your next pay day will be, due to the fact that it is commission only. However the best part of the job is the satisfaction you get when a person is in dire need of their money from their policies and and you are able to give them the assurance that it is going to be there and help them so they won't have to miss paying rent or car payment etc.
Pros
Working with different types of people
Cons
No benefits and commission only
100% commission sales, a base would be great but if you don't work you won't eat....
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 1, 2015
This is a sales driven company with a great opportunity if your willing to work for it. Fun place to work with supportive management. There are many opportunities to develop and grow thru the training and developmental courses.

This company allows you to work at your own pace independently or create your own team with co-workers learning from each other. Decent amount of red tape and a lot of politics, but this is expected for most large companies.

The hardest part of the job is opening new accounts and maintaining the business. If you don't put in the work before during and after you will loose your business on the books.

The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting new people and changing lives for the better.
Pros
There is no limit in the opportunity to grow, develop and prosper.
Cons
No base salary 100% commission.
Aflac is self driven success only
Independent Insurance Agent (Boise) (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDNovember 25, 2015
Aflac has great products and can help individuals and families tremendously, but they have a poor on-boarding/training system. They have favoritism. If you want to build a career in this field make sure the first couple years you can put everything else on the side and focus completely on your business and personal development and you will create your own success. Do not start with Aflac if you have any thing else you have committed yourself too in a personal or professional matter.
Pros
100% Commission, Good product and benefit to others (your customers/clients), you get to help others
Cons
100% Commission, compensation, no leads, very little direction that leads to results.
No base pay
Insurance Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 2, 2016
So if you are ok with working with no base pay, no benefits, and spending money upfront for licensing, background checks, and for a computer that only works to sign up customers, this job is for you.

I really believe in the product that AFLAC sells and it disapointed me that there was no way to work out a payment plan where there would be some compensation if commission was not coming or some dort of paid training. Unfortunately there is no safety net so if you start a job here make sure to have money saved up until you can get multiple sales under your belt.

I enjoyed the masters course in sales. I learned more from working with this company than in my Business Classes at University.

But unless my situation changes I just cannot afford to work for free.
Pros
Learned a lot about sales and getting apst the gatekeeper
Cons
No type of base compensation
Glad I worked for Aflac
Benefits Consultant (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHNovember 19, 2015
I learned a lot from my job as an Aflac Sales Agent. I wasn't persuasive enough to be successful, and didn't like so much time cold-calling, but it could be a great career for someone willing to put in a lot of hard work and long hours.

If you aren't setting at least 2 quality appointments a week, you will fail in this business. If you land any large accounts, you are lucky - these are harder to get, but pay the highest.

Manager and team were great. It was a positive, supportive environment to work in, except the customers sometimes weren't so positive! I also learned how lazy people are- customers not calling you when they say they will, etc. And a hard product to sell. Customers usually see you as low priority, which makes Aflac a hard business to be in. But many people have been successful at it.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible schedule, great team
Cons
Lots of driving, Not a lot of structure, so it requires a lot of discipline
Aflac
Insurance Agent Presented (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2016
Very long hours, with cold calling to get any participation to listen to benefits offered by Aflac.I left because I was offered a full time position with benefits with another company.
Typical day at work
Agent (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 2, 2016
At Aflac you are an Independent Contractor. Depending on the day, meaning if there were meetings or not depends on the activity. However, I would put my children on the bus and then hit the ground running. I would go from business to business to attempt to speak to the business owners. If reached, I would schedule an appointment to be able to sit down in front of them and anyone else who makes decisions with their healthcare. Then I would b=move to the next business. At times, I partnered up with another co worker and times I worked alone. There are benefits to both. I enjoyed being able to have a back up person in case I was under the weather and she/he could jump in and work as a team. Other times I enjoyed working by myself. It was great with the flexibility as I was able to make my own schedule.
Pros
Being able to help others
Cons
Comission based only
It's a great way to meet the needs of people before they happen!
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSMarch 13, 2016
Aflac is an absolutely wonderful product offering cash benefits to employees in one day! I've seen it save people's houses, cars, utilities, and even lives! They have a children's cancer hospital and research center, they cover benefits for accidents, hospital, cancer, heart attack, stroke, diabetes, dental, vision, and short term disability, etc. They encourage us to remind our policyholders to file claims that are unexpected as well as remind them to get physicals so they can file claims for that as well! They love to pay claims and even encourage policyholders to file for the Next Day Pay! It's a fantastic company and I love what they offer!

Unfortunately, it is also slow to build up the business and being single, it is not building fast enough for me to be able to meet my financial obligations. Depending on the position I obtain, I may be able to continue Aflac on a part time basis around my full time job.
Pros
Challenging, fun, busy, meeting and helping many people!
Cons
The pay is not strong enough to meet my financial obligations.
Great Culture and Benefits
Account Relations Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCNovember 9, 2015
Welcoming environment. Great culture and benefits. The hardest part of the job is the operating systems. Career advancement is possible in just under a year of employment.
Pros
Culture, Benefits, Compensation
Cons
Operation System, Operation Processes
Good job
Insurance Producer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 5, 2016
Great opportunity but not enough good leads in my area. Very oversaturated with current clients. Management was great! Great commissions.
Pros
Great Commission
Cons
No Base Salary
Deceptive
Agent, CIT, DSC (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 21, 2015
They will continue to lure you with words like "wealth, renewals, residuals" but the reality is that VERY FEW agents are able to make a living at this company. Those at the top grow wealthy on the backs of the new churning sea of agents. Agents are not respected because if they leave, their accounts become property of their leadership...almost an INCENTIVE to get rid of new agents. They tout "grow & retain the family" but by family they mean a select few on the inner circle. In my experience they are not receptive to solutions/suggestions.

Ideal candidates are independently wealthy or have a strong income from another source.

Management is chosen based on sales performance and no other leadership criteria is required so some of their leaders lack the ability to engage recruits and foster lasting agent relationships. Unlike other sales organizations, the sales professional also must do administration, claims, group maintenance, etc. - so be prepared for LONG hours or to sacrifice earnings for administrative efforts.
Pros
GREAT products, High level execs have integrity
Cons
Mid level management is weak, structure of organization is outdated
Very productive, started out employee-focused
Customer Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GADecember 22, 2015
A typical day at work involved me coming in, starting my computer, logging on, and taking calls until I logged out at the end of the day. I learned how to mutlitask. Management and the company were intensely employee-focused when I began there, but that changed over time. They were more interested in meeting numbers than in making sure the customer experience was the best, although they spoke at length about making sure the customer was taken care of. That was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was in making sure the customer was served and happy.
Pros
Healthcare, yearly bonuses
Cons
hectic pace with no interest in making sure the employee is taken care of
Commision only
Associate (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAFebruary 8, 2016
High turnover, training in sales unpaid and kept changing. No financial support from company. Many of companies in area are either current clients or have been clients.
I found myself being one of many representatives that had approached businesses in area. Market approaches ineffective because of turnover.
When I left I there were only 3 of us out of 30 from my group left working for this company..
Pros
Great product branding.
Cons
High turnover, competitive aggressive nature of sales leadership.
If you work hard and produce, you are well taken care of
State Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXDecember 15, 2015
You are responsible for your work schedule, how many hours a week you want to put into your business. The more people you see the better the odds of closing business and getting compensated for your work.

Management ensures that you are trained and have the assets to do the job. After the first few months you are expected to produce on your own.

The hardest part of the job is constantly being told no or not right now. Some say yes, but the vast majority say no.

Like any other business there is a certain amount of cash that needs to be available up front. There are very few businesses that you can be producing income with as little as $300 to $500 in up front cost.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people be prepared for the unexpected expenses of an accident or illness.
Pros
Good Comp rates
Cons
Time required to the job, negative respones from the customers
Benefits Specialist
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 23, 2016
7am-8am Prep for daily appointments
8am-9am scheduled prospecting time
10-5 schedule and run meetings; asset management

8am-1pm field prospecting
1pm-5pm phone prospecting or appointments

evenings prep and and paperwork

4 hours every weekend dedicated to planning and prepping for next week.

Hardest part of the job is
Pros
Working with People
Cons
Training
I like Aflac I would do it again.
Independent Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSDecember 30, 2015
I learned how to be an independent agent with the company, also being independent, you will need to bring a little of your own income to the table, because you will have to provide for your self, because its commission only. The coworkers are friendly, a great work environment, I in joyed not being tied down at an office all day, if I needed to go some where I could, the hardest part was getting a business opened, hearing someone telling you no and come back numerous of times, but over all it was a great learning experience.
Pros
Flexable work schedule
Cons
No benefits
Work in the field
Independent Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 2, 2015
I really enjoyed working for AFLAC, and cut my teeth on the Insurance Industry there. The management was both very supportive, and helpful.

I learned to reach out to potential customers of all stripes where they are at.

The hardest part of the job was working alone most of the time. The best part was meeting new people all the time.

I liked the inspiring atmosphere and the insurance plans we carried to help the clients. Yet I am more internally motivated than concerned about winning awards like a new car.

Thank you for the experiences, AFLAC.
Pros
You are your own boss
Cons
No base salary or benefits
Flexible, Potential for high earrning income if driven and self motivated.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 31, 2016
Aflac is a great company overall. It has a strong quality product and business structure. With that being said, you will do a lot of cold calling in the beginning unless you know a lot of people. The training is great but you are not compensated for the travel and such. You are building your business in the first year so unless you land a large account, you may not make much. And then if you do not have any support from your team leader, then it is can be difficult for you to get ahead. Management is where the income is.
Pros
Flexible, make own schedule
Cons
No type of medical insurance, Lots of cold calling