Aflac Employee Reviews

Found 1,573 reviews matching the search
100% commission in a saturated market
Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 27, 2017
If you have commission experience this is not new. The market is saturated. Getting is front of the paying client is rare and typically not profitable.
Pros
Sitting next to hard working persons
Cons
no money made
Supplment Insurance
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Pismo Beach, CAMay 25, 2017
I enjoyed working for Aflac. The only thing is that it is all commission, so with the economy being the way it is right now it was really hard to get people to sign up. even though most of the plans that they sell are no more then 15 dollars but it is per pay check. Over all it was great to work there it got me out of my shell. So if you don't need income asap then this would be a great fit for you, but if you need an income then my advice this job wouldn't not be a good fit.
Great environment
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 25, 2017
I was free to make my own schedule. I could work as much as I wanted. There arrange my days so that I could work certain day or hours of the day in order to still have time for family activities. The staff always had a great personality and was very helpful.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Commission
Great place to grow a nest egg or second income.
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 25, 2017
Great environment and nice people work at AFLAC. Because it is commissioned based, it takes awhile to develop a book of business. One must have a thick skin to work there.
Pros
Lots of freedom to grow; networking
Cons
no guarantee of salary
meh
Sales (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYMay 24, 2017
as an intro sales associate, getting in is hard enough since u cant write any business without an insurance license, and once u do your job is basically a glorified telemarketer. aside from actually meeting with clients the job feels like soul sucking work
Pros
no definitive hours so you cant get in trouble for not meeting youre quota of calls
Cons
this means you have no steady pay and work purely off of commission
Enjoyed my time working there
Independent Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILMay 24, 2017
I wish I would have continued my career in with AFLAC. It was rewarding to help others with AFLAC'S products of supplemental insurance. Enjoyed the people I worked with everyday.
Has its ups and downs!
Contract Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMay 23, 2017
Has the potential to bring you a great harvest if trained correctly. I really enjoyed the flexibility and the other agents being so supportive. Opportunity was there but you must fight to keep your hard work intact.
Pros
Great income
Cons
Profit has unfortunate turnover.
Not the type of work I enjoyed
Marketing and Sales Associate Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 23, 2017
I typically did not enjoy being a marketing and sales associate intern. Had to make a lot of cold calls and canvas in areas that were not ideal. I did improve on my verbal communication skills through this experience.
Excellent work environment
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2017
This company has everything, from experienced and well knowledgeable people to enthusiastic minds ready to help with any task! this is a reputable company with much going for them and I would highly recommend them if you are pursuing a job in insurance.
Pros
sometimes you'll get free lunch (:
Cons
salary is based off of commission only
Very Productive and Comfortable environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Highland, NYMay 21, 2017
The harder you work, the more you earn, it is 100% commission. You are your own boss.You learn all about managing your time and how to speak to customers. You get On-the-job training but bear in mind, it's 100% commission so you don't get paid for these training
Cons
Comission

Want to know more about Aflac?

Ask a question
Company was setting up a new office - I was in on the ground floor
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 21, 2017
I was allowed to do a lot of extra jobs other than be a receptionist and that was good for me and for the company also. The company decided that the branch would not continue.
Very self-motivated
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIMay 21, 2017
Large staff with an abundance of knowledge to learn from. Flexible schedule. Have to be comfortable with sales and have to be patient to get to where you would like to be.
Horrible compensation
Agent (Current Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSMay 20, 2017
This company would be great if they cared more about their agents in the field. The compensation is way to low for all the hours you have to put in, if they were to pay their agents more their turn over wouldn't be so high.
Run for the Hills
Agent/Benefits Advisor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 19, 2017
Don't waist your time. You get assigned to a used beat up manager, with no formal education or training. How can you respect someone who clearly has no respect for themselves?
Pros
No cieling
Cons
commission based pay, SUPPLEMENTAL Insurance
review
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCMay 19, 2017
market wasnt in the right place to start an income in this business. they will promise you alot, and deliver nothing. dont waste your time here, choose something else.
Productive and a very fun place to work
Voluntary Benefits Broker (Current Employee) –  Winslow, AZMay 18, 2017
I go out making friends talking with business owners and finding out more about the issues they are having in today's world. Thinking of solutions to keep them competitive and build loyalty to keep and maintain quality staff.
Providing solutions to keep costs down moral high. Bringing resolution to those issues that keep business owners awake at night.
and along the way taking care of their employee's.
I learned that you can't help everyone.
As a manager I maintained quality people and trained said people to be productive and to replicate what it takes to be successful.
I was brought into this environment to feed people fish as you teach them to fish. In other words while they are learning the business they themselves still need money as their bills don't quit coming because they had a career change, so we take them in to our accounts so they can learn how to do the business and while they are learning they get paid out of my commission. As they learn they are still providing for their families.
The hardest part is seeing your clients die.
The most enjoyable part is training new people.
Good company
Independent Agent (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 18, 2017
Overall great company and benefits. Good money that came in faithfully. They just need a better leadership and leads program. Cold calling companies is far to much work and companies to get saturated.
Pros
Great Products
Cons
Bad Lead System and Leadership
Aflac
Independent Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Waynesville, MOMay 18, 2017
As an independent agent, the work day is determined by your ability to create a workable schedule and communicate effectively with others, while generating contacts for new business and old business.
Pros
Independent work schedule; great company to be affiliated with.
Cons
Lots of time on the road; new agent turn over is high
Great company and fun place to work if you can handle the job demands
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2017
When I originally went to the Aflac job meeting/seminar, it's basically a 20-30 minute round table discussion with one of the managers talking to you about the job, the demands, what it takes to succeed and what you can expect to make if you put in the work.

This job has huge upside/potential as you get a huge slice of what you sell since it's a commission only job, but that's also a deal breaker for many people. This job takes at least a year if not 18-24 months to really get yourself going, so it can be very up and down for the first year or so and hence is not for the faint of heart, but Aflac is #1 in their market/industry space and many of the people that work there are great, it's just a daunting job at first... expect to make 80-100 or more cold calls every day for quite some time, which is brutal don't get me wrong, but cold calling is part of sales and this role happens to have a pretty good amount of it. Once you get in touch with people, you really don't get a lot of nasty responses, other than we hear from AFLAC people all the time, hence my con below, but beyond that it's more of a keeping you and your offerings top of mind that is your main challenge in getting the sale, that or they use one of AFLAC's competitors, which tend to use crafty techniques and sales pitches to convince them of going with them over AFLAC.

Beyond that, if you haven't previously worked in the Insurance industry, the test alone teaches you a lot and learning the AFLAC product set and portfolio will show you what most people's jobs/benefits provide and where you could have some pretty
  more... big holes/gaps should a serious injury/illness/death, etc... occur in your family or household. It's good practical real world knowledge that is less shady than working at a car dealership, at least some of them.  less
Pros
Fun environment, plenty of opportunity to make money, flexible schedule, you own your business
Cons
Straight commission, no dedicated territories/patches, you own your business
Cool place to work
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAMay 17, 2017
Aflac was a great company to work for. Schedule is definitely one of the best perks. You make your own appointments whenever you want and earning potential is unlimited.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aflac. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval