Aflac Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,270 reviews
Productive and Meaningful Work Environment
Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 7, 2016
Aflac is a sales company with all that sales entails; however, it also has one thing most sales outfits lack: inspirational stories. Simply put, Aflac and its agents have been responsible for so much good in helping people through the toughest medical times in their lives that it is amazing so few have encountered Aflac coverage in their lives. When you combine that sort of meaning with such hard working colleagues, Aflac is truly a special place.
Great place to work and challenging.
Independent Authorized Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRNovember 17, 2016
A typical day at orchard is to make different phone calls and visits to new and current clients. I learn a lot about customer service, running a business,detail organization skills, follow up with clients, market myself and the products of the company as well closing sales in a challenging environment.

i had the chance to work with good mentors of the company pushing myself to do more and better.

Its most difficult challenge is the fact that is commission based job and the agent has to build its own business portfolio.
Proceed with Caution
Independent Agent/Benefits Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2016
Do not get caught up in the glamour of being a benefits consultant/advisor for Aflac. Yes, there is unlimited earning potential because it is a commission sales job, but there are disadvantages to this. If you are not the sales person type or a strong entrepreneurial go-getter, then take this job with caution. I advise having a part-time job as you do this because you are hardly getting paid for your hard work and efforts. It will take a long time before you see any commission coming your way, but when you do see it, it will be worth it to see your hard work being paid off.
Pros
work culture, flexibility, work/life balance
Cons
benefits, pay, training
Basically a pyramid scheme
Agent/intern (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 9, 2016
DO NOT fall for Aflac's "internship." It will do nothing to prepare you for any career other than in sales. I don't know anyone I worked with who made any money over the entire summer. You have to use your own gas money to canvass and basically harass and lie to businesses. My "boss" lied to me and told me I would be compensated for the $70 insurance license that I was required to get before starting the job, but I never was. Waste of time, waste of money. Aflac agents are slimy people.
Amazing company and opportunity!
Business to Business Sales (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 4, 2016
This is an amazing opportunity for those that are self driven and do not need to be micromanaged. I have been with Aflac for 7 years and have ALWAYS gotten out of this what I put into it. I love that I am able to set my own schedule, make a huge difference in the lives of my policyholders, and have control over my income. I love the people that I work with and how this company takes care of the field force. I truly believe there is no better opportunity out there.

However, some people cannot handle the flexibility. Those that are not disciplined to go to work when others aren't making them do not make it. Often times those people will blame others and not take ownership for their results.
Typical day at work
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 12, 2016
My typical day at work would include meeting different people educating them on the importance of what's important in their family's life. Since being employed with Aflac I have learned so much and the knowledge that I have encountered as well as the lives that I have touched brings me so much joy. The management is wonderful. She taught me everything that I know with Aflac. My coworkers are great to be around and I feel that I encourage them to continue on the journey. To never give up. The hardest part of my job is being paid just on commission, but the most enjoyable part is putting a smile on my clients face knowing that I was able to help them.
Very family oriented, productive and great benefits and hours
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 27, 2016
I worked as a customer service representative and my day was 8-5. I was always on time, took appropriate breaks, lunch and left on time. I worked on a computer with a headset and answered incoming calls to help customers with any policy needs. I learned all about the various policy types, their benefits and how we paid our customers. I also learned to process various payment types. I worked in a team of about 15 with other trained employees who were readily available to offer assistance if needed. I enjoyed being able to come in and get right to work and I learned something more everyday.
Pros
Excellent hours and benefits
Cons
Micro managed.
Great products but it was a tough sell
Sales (Former Employee) –  West Springfield, MAOctober 27, 2016
Training was all done by salesmen so they were always selling.
So if you could mimic their style you were all set other wise you had to find and develop your own.

I really did see a great value in the products offered and loved having the "Duck".

I like being around people so "pounding the pavement" was not that bad. I wasn't a hard sell closer so I probably missed a lot of sales because I was enjoying the people!
Pros
Got out a lot, several company trips plus prizes
Cons
Hard selling on the road
Great company to gain sales experience
Independent Agent (Former Employee) –  Several different state operationsNovember 21, 2016
This is truly a "you get what you put in" company- 100% commission. Corporate company is an extremely virtuous company, but you could easily be put within a district that does not help its employees to succeed. Regional and district offices are hit or miss with how much they will help you along your path to success.
Pros
Freedom to make your own hours
Cons
Can be difficult to grow your own business without effective support
Claims Specialist
Claims Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GA 31907October 14, 2016
I worked with Aflac for a short period of time. I processed claims, using multiple computer screens and programs, I also learned ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes while employed with this company. I strengthened my skills to multi-task. I called to speak with policy holders doctors and their staff to retrieve information needed in order to complete their claims within an appropriate time.
Pros
researching and data entry
Cons
training class was not very supportive or helpful
Great Company, Tough Market
Benefits Consultant (Independent Associate) (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 16, 2016
Aflac is a great company, that is still family owned and operated. Solid insurance products, nice monetary compensation (commission based), and many friendly coworkers.

Greatest Challenge: Cold calling is challenging, and some areas are flooded with sales agents, which leads to businesses being frustrated by constant solicitation. Also takes time to build customer base, so need to be OK with little income over first 8-12 months.

Selling Aflac is lucrative if you have time and drive to make it through the first year. Most sales agents are friendly and willing to help new hires. Flexible schedule when self-employed
Pros
Excellent Commission Structure
Cons
First year is spent cold calling and building business
Productive and Fun Place
Executive Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 4, 2016
Aflac strives to ensure that their employees are happy. They do things from Customer Service Week, Employee Appreciation Week, the Annual Christmas Party, to giving away trips to the Heisman Awards dinner and cruise giveaways. Aflac also provides a Career Success Center. Aflac is a great place to work when it comes to employee moral. Most of the managers care and support your career goals.
Pros
Free food... all the time, Customer Service Week, Employee Appreciation Week, the Annual Christmas Party, Free Vacations, Benefits
Cons
Management that don't support you and listen to your opinions
office manager
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJOctober 3, 2016
I would open the office and review any voice messages on the answering machine and return the calls. I would send daily reports to main office. I would monitor the employees in the office and make sure they had appropriate supplies for sales presentations.
I would maintain office supplies and insure office security.
The hardest part of my job was to dismiss employees who didn't meet their goal expectations,
The most enjoyable part of my job was to assist customers.
Pros
work with diverse group of clients
Cons
dismissing employees
Great environment to learn and development into high-level business professional.
Associate (Current Employee) –  OregonNovember 10, 2016
I originally started working for Aflac just as a way to pay the bills while in school and it quickly turned into a company that I was very passionate about and could see myself working for long-term.

The environment is fantastic. The people are very fun to work with, they allow a lot of creativity and flexibility all while providing a structured environment to learn in.

I really enjoy the fact that I get back what I put in. There are several opportunities to advance within the company with options around the nation as well.
Pros
Great platform to launch a career with great pay, the right amount of flexibility and structure.
Cons
You have to be very self-disciplined as you are granted a lot of autonomy.
Very Warm Trainers, Have 3 Months of Savings Stashed
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 15, 2016
This job is very rewarding if you enjoy lots of small talk and have tremendous patience. Note: It will take about 3 months before you actually start making the money. When the money comes in, it comes by the loads. Be prepared to talk to people and door knock at local businesses around you. There is a lot of introducing yourself to strangers and being able to hear "no" repeatedly.
Fun place to work, people are very friendly and helpful, always a very busy office, cool people.
Asset Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 26, 2016
I learned a lot about how insurance company works, how hard it is to keep all the informations together and how to manage all the accounts. I also created a solution alongside with my supervisor on how to help the district manager aware of the lapsing accounts and or accounts that are need to be followed up by creating report(s) every week.
Pros
Good music in the office
Great Company
Benefits Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montclair, CASeptember 20, 2016
Aflac has a great family culture and if you work hard you will advance quickly. The culture is fact pace and there are frequent changes which makes it hard to adjust. Aflac grew faster than they could keep up as a company so most of the time you will feel like your running in a high speed maze. Leadership is very supportive but inexperienced.
The great thing about Aflac is the compensation. They pay their employees well and show their appreciation with other incentives such as appreciation week.
Aflac has a decent training program.
Supplemental Insurance Policy Sales (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 30, 2016
All in all my experience with Aflac was mixed, with some very good to excellent trainers mixed with some very poor ones.

This job is extremely self-driven, and to be successful one must be very focused on the long hours it takes to build a strong corporate client base because that is where the money is.
Pros
Strong Training Structure
Cons
Poor Internal Support
Great family company and always have activities to do through out the week.
Customer Service Representative for Claims (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 16, 2016
A typical day at work would be to open all systems before shift began. Assist customers with policy information and how to file a claim. Handle escalated calls and transfer calls to the correct department. Verify policyholders information for their security and notate the conversations for account purposes.
Pros
Several Breaks, cafe, gym, and game room inside the building
Cons
Pay was twice a month on the 15th and last day of the month.
Productive and challenging place to work.
Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Flushing, MI 48433September 9, 2016
Typical day at work is to schedule clients and make appointments. Learned when to properly schedule clients. Worked independently. Some times we would work as teams when we working the same areas. My co-workers were talented and helpful in the insurance business. I found most difficult part of the job was getting clients to keep their appointments. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in the field.
Pros
Firday meetings regarding that weeks accomplishments.
Cons
Maintaining schedules.