Aflac Employee Reviews in United States

Showing all 1,181 reviews
Fun work environment but strictly commission based job
Recruiting/Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTJuly 22, 2016
Aflac has a good/fun company culture. Only issue I had was that the position was strictly commission based. There are small competitions that the company organizes in order to boost productivity.
Pros
Fun culure
Cons
commission based
Summer 2016 HR/Social Media Intern
Human Resources/Social Media Intern (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJuly 20, 2016
I'm only one month into the Aflac Torrance Summer 2016 internship program, but I only have good things to say about my experience so far!

As an intern, our responsibilities are to recruit/interview potential candidates and schedule the qualifying candidates to come in for a first interview. We are also responsible for managing the office's social media pages (Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook).

Because my career goal is to become a recruiter, this internship is perfect for me! I've gotten some insights on cues and hints on what does or does not make a person a good candidate.

There is a total of 10 or 11 interns, I believe, but I love working with them all! The office set up doesn't make it so we're each in a cubicle cut off from everyone, the environment is open so we're all face to face which I appreciate. I'm also very appreciative of our supervisor because of her straightforwardness, she's helped us each improve our weaknesses as the weeks have gone by and is also very helpful and really nice!
The agents who work in the office are all also very friendly with each of us, and willing to help us if we need it. You can tell how much they all love their jobs too, which definitely makes for a good work environment.

I gave the "compensation" 3 stars, because the internship is unpaid, however I'm mainly here for the experience, not the money.
Despite the compensation, I would definitely recommend this internship to anyone who is interested in recruiting and/or managing a social media account for a business!
Aflac
Insurance Producer (Former Employee) –  Pawcatuck, CTJuly 20, 2016
Aflac is an awesome company to work for. However, it is very hard work. It is basically running your own business. Therefore you must be dedicated and hardworking for it to pay off. The biggest thing in this business is to be extremely organized. The pay is great once you get to the point of helping people when you sign them up for one of Aflac's many policies.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Commission based
Uncertain Income
Benefit Consultant (Current Employee) –  West Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2016
I have worked for Aflac for almost two years. It has been a fun and exciting time for me. It is difficult to anticipate an income. This can be very stressful.
Pros
Training, work atmosphere, paid in 48 hours
Cons
No benefits, 100 % commission
Working for Aflac takes a lot of effort but you will be compensated for that effort.
Physical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2016
I learned a lot from working in an office downtown. From daily tasks and interaction with co workers to the fast pace and hectic work days.
Supportive Work Culture
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJuly 14, 2016
Aflac espouses a culture of integrity and support, from customer claims to support for its associates.

I found the people I worked with genuinely cared about their customers and those they worked with. While the culture was competitive and driven towards consistent excellence, people went out of their way to help each other.

The hardest part of the job was the daily grind of cold-call sales. The people I worked with made this enjoyable. Plus, sales training was excellent.
Pros
excellent training, supportive environment, income potential
Cons
Commission only
Agent
Agent (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 14, 2016
I learned that management was good.

My co-workers were wonderful

Cold calling/it was all cold calling

The most enjoyable part of the job was presenting
Pros
full time
Cons
peresenting
Freedom
Special Projects Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alger, OHJuly 14, 2016
The freedom that you have is amazing. Being an agent gives you the flexibility to schedule appointments around your time.
Great Company and great people
Agent (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 13, 2016
Made 50 cold phone calls a day, drove around for 2-4 hours prospecting, and followed up to approaches previously made. Then I would input the data into Everwell. Time management helped with keeping everything on track. The Management or Regional Sales Coordinator was super to work with. All of the agents within our district were easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was not getting paid on a weekly bases, it was strictly commission only. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and working with other agents.
Pros
Worked when I wanted
Cons
Commission only
Great Learing Opportunity
Associate (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LAJuly 12, 2016
This is not a regular job. Aflac provides you with training but you are an independent sales agent meaning you are responsible for your own income. If you do not go out and make cold calls on your own and try to sell their products you WILL NOT succeed in this business.
Pros
Make your own schedule, lots of potential
Cons
No benefits, no regular pay all commission
AFLAC is a great company with many incentives
Insurance Agent/Producer (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 12, 2016
I enjoy my employment with Aflac. I truly believe in the company and everything I do for them. As an Independant agent, I qualify businesses that are willing to offer supplemental insurance to their employees, so they are able to offer some financial security at a discounted rate on all policies. I enroll employees and help them file claims.
My job is fun
Aflac Insurance (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 11, 2016
I get to travel , I get to have fun traveling making friends on the job, I get to meet new people, I also had a chance to earn some special recognition at my job .
Pros
break whenever I want to, leave work on my on time flexible schedule.
Cons
not that much office space
Productive, hard working, and fun work environment
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Decorah, IAJuly 8, 2016
It is nice being my own boss, but time management is the key to success. I have learned a lot about sales and the insurance business. My co-workers are great and the management is great as well. The hardest part of the job is to get decision makers to understand the need for Aflac and how important it can be for the employees. The most enjoyable part is being able to help people and knowing I am making some part of their life more comforting.
Walk around town
Agent (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAJuly 7, 2016
A typical day is going business to business trying to sell the Aflac brand to companies to provide additional benefits to employer and employees
Pros
Able to work own hours
Cons
Alot of driving and gas
Aflac
Insurance Agent / Administrator (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJuly 6, 2016
Very good place to work for, very flexible hours and works out great with my school schedule. Love that I can work how many hours I want and can set my own schedule.
Challenging work enviroment without a lot of support
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 6, 2016
You often feel like you're working for free. UNPAID training is REQUIRED, and is 60+ hours. Some managers seem really helpful, but some are only interested in who can make them money. They get commission from your sales too... You're told sales experience isn't necessary but it's completely, 100% a sales job. Leads are NOT given, as you're lead to believe in the initial interviews. Once you're trained, you're very much on your own, or sometimes paired up with another sales person with just as little experience as you.
Pros
able to create your own hours
Cons
commision only
Best job I ever had
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAJuly 5, 2016
I love the atmosphere, you are truly a family here. Upper management shows that they care. I would love to bring home more money however.
Stay Away
Associate (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 5, 2016
First 'end of quarter" I was there, my manager asked if I wanted to "learn" how to write policy... Well that "learning" was writing myself TWO BEEFED UP policies. He gets 5% of that AND made his Quota and got an bonus. I'm stuck paying the bill.

RECRUITING LIES: When recruited, I was told "No Cold Calls. " "We can't handle the business we have."
First thing I got from my District Sales Coordinator was a list of businesses for cold calls. Four months later I have ZERO warm leads. My manager took me on a few enrollments, but did all the work - I still have very little idea how it all works.

Hundreds of calls and call backs later, I get through to Decision makers maybe 1% of the time. They are always busy, not interested, no time.... I'm supposed to keep pitching to them, but really, how many time do I need to hear NO???

Management is very encouraging to invest in "opportunities" - but hey, it doesn't cost them anything if you lose and they get an override if you make sale.

People just are fed up and confused with the PPACA (Obamacare), and can't deal with more insurance decisions. Headlines already predicting massive increases for 2017 and people don't want more expense.
Pros
Policies do help people, and customer service is great.
Cons
Cold Calling
Aflac Sales Associate
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 1, 2016
Aflac Sales. 100% commission based. Competing with other Aflac sales associates for same buiness. Management did not support sales associates
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Busines to Busines cold calls
Good people in sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 30, 2016
The AFLAC sales force is made up of good people but I met all of my goals and didn't make enough money to survive. The company is very top heavy and the head office goes to excessive lengths to get out of paying claims. Not a very good selling point.