Aflac Employee Reviews

Showing all 1,328 reviews
Proceed with Caution
Independent Agent/Benefits Advisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2016
Do not get caught up in the glamour of being a benefits consultant/advisor for Aflac. Yes, there is unlimited earning potential because it is a commission sales job, but there are disadvantages to this. If you are not the sales person type or a strong entrepreneurial go-getter, then take this job with caution. I advise having a part-time job as you do this because you are hardly getting paid for your hard work and efforts. It will take a long time before you see any commission coming your way, but when you do see it, it will be worth it to see your hard work being paid off.
Pros
work culture, flexibility, work/life balance
Cons
benefits, pay, training
Not for everyone
Benefits Consultant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 3, 2016
Yes you can choose your schedule, but really you can't. You will have a district manager that will micromanage even through they say they won't. There is very little teaching/training and it is all about getting appointments. If you don't have a problem walking into peoples businesses and interrupting their day, you can be successful and make good money. If you respect peoples boundaries and right to not be bothered by sales people everyday I would suggest you find a different career. Plus you don't get paid unless you set up an account. Probably why they don't care if they teach/train you at all. Also, they don't offer benefits, which is funny considering what you are selling.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Little Training
Hard to get started
Independent Agent (Current Employee) –  Manns Harbor, NCJanuary 3, 2017
My current position is a lot of fun. I enjoy working with clients and helping them find affordable health benefits. However the lack of help from management at start up is frustrating. There are no leads given and you start completely from blank. I love the people I work with and my district manager, however it is very hard to start from scratch. I wish they would just help a little in leads at start up. The compensation and rewards for meeting sales goals are great .I do like that they try to take care of their employees in that sense. However, the goals and expectation are hard to meet when you are new to the field and are not given anything to begin your search.
Pros
Great people and compesation
Cons
Hard to get started
Best Insurance product
Insurance Marketing 20K (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INDecember 16, 2016
They have an incredible product easy to present wonderfull management and co-workers. Great compensation. However thier is a terrible flaw in the process. As you are getting started with them even if you have many connections if you try to work those instead of the very uncomfortable door to door cold calling you have no lead protection. The reason the door to door was so uncomfortable is because most of the time you were the 5th or 6th person this week trying to get drop by meeting with the owner of the company. I finally had to get a paying job rather than work on building my paycheck.
Pros
Great product
Cons
No lead protection
good company
Independent Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 11, 2017
Lots of incentives and bonuses. Reaching those all depends on your ability to close accounts. If you don't have outside sales experience, your success is largely dependent on the District Sales Coordinator who trains you. (Could be the case fore those with experience in the field, too) An incompetent DSC= total failure unless you request to change districts. Don't be afraid to do so! I struggled for months until I was assigned to a different team-- I wish I would have been more communicative of how useless my first DSC was.
While the commission structure is nice, it's unfortunate that there isn't a base salary to help get new associates started as they learn what it takes to reach the commissions.
Pros
create your own schedule, new contests introduced all the time
Cons
no base pay, no benefits, no guarantee of income
Productive and Fun Place
Executive Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 4, 2016
Aflac strives to ensure that their employees are happy. They do things from Customer Service Week, Employee Appreciation Week, the Annual Christmas Party, to giving away trips to the Heisman Awards dinner and cruise giveaways. Aflac also provides a Career Success Center. Aflac is a great place to work when it comes to employee moral. Most of the managers care and support your career goals.
Pros
Free food... all the time, Customer Service Week, Employee Appreciation Week, the Annual Christmas Party, Free Vacations, Benefits
Cons
Management that don't support you and listen to your opinions
High ratings on Work/Life Balance
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 11, 2017
Aflac is the first company I contracted with for Insurance Sales. The position was ideal because it offered me a flexible schedule and allowed me to be available to my young son. A typical day involved marketing to new prospects or conducting open enrollment group meeting with payroll accounts, and subsequent individual meetings to enroll employees in supplemental life and health plans. The managers were theoretically peers in my organization and are like-minded self employed insurance professionals who provided a great support system. The challenge was maintaining consistency in writing business during the changing economy.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Commission only with no benefits
Great Company, Tough Market
Benefits Consultant (Independent Associate) (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 16, 2016
Aflac is a great company, that is still family owned and operated. Solid insurance products, nice monetary compensation (commission based), and many friendly coworkers.

Greatest Challenge: Cold calling is challenging, and some areas are flooded with sales agents, which leads to businesses being frustrated by constant solicitation. Also takes time to build customer base, so need to be OK with little income over first 8-12 months.

Selling Aflac is lucrative if you have time and drive to make it through the first year. Most sales agents are friendly and willing to help new hires. Flexible schedule when self-employed
Pros
Excellent Commission Structure
Cons
First year is spent cold calling and building business
Pretty Good except the supervisor
Customer Service Representative 2 (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GADecember 28, 2016
Great company to work for. I hated the call center as most people do. I got cursed out every day, people called in crying cause their claim had not paid or was not going to pay due to them not reading their policy before they bought it and agents not telling the truth about the policies clients were purchasing, older people called in and wanted to talk cause they were lonely but we got in trouble for talking to long, calling the claims department to much to get claims paid, agents telling clients lies about what their policies pay and would not pay and fraudulent claims being called in daily. Aflac is a great company but the call center was not for me. Crazy A#$ supervisor was no help either. Manager was Awesome! Crazy thing about it was the Manager had been through far more than the supervisor had in real life. Manager was so humble and nice and caring. Far more than I can say about the supervisor.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Being cursed out daily and people crying
Great experience in sales and customer marketing
Benefit Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 3, 2017
Days mostly consisted of cold calling arriving at businesses to inform business owners of Aflac and the opportunities associated with Aflac. 100% commission salary based. Very supportive local as well as up the chain management. Hardest part of the job was consistency of sales initially. The most enjoyable was getting to meet new people and see new businesses emerging around the community and getting to know them and their services or products.
Pros
Choose your own hours and style
Cons
100% commission
Productive and fun workplace with a great work/life balance
Special Projects Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 29, 2016
Great place for anyone who is looking for a work/life balance. The camaraderie among everyone in the organization is something you rarely find in the workplace.

If you are someone who is looking for some flexibility, compensation for your time, and building something you can be proud of... I would encourage you to check Aflac's career opportunities.
Pros
Cons
Lack of benefits
Very family oriented, productive and great benefits and hours
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 27, 2016
I worked as a customer service representative and my day was 8-5. I was always on time, took appropriate breaks, lunch and left on time. I worked on a computer with a headset and answered incoming calls to help customers with any policy needs. I learned all about the various policy types, their benefits and how we paid our customers. I also learned to process various payment types. I worked in a team of about 15 with other trained employees who were readily available to offer assistance if needed. I enjoyed being able to come in and get right to work and I learned something more everyday.
Pros
Excellent hours and benefits
Cons
Micro managed.
Great company with some opportunities for improvement
Project Management IS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GADecember 11, 2016
This is a very employee considerate company. When they talk about work/life balance they mean it. The same thing goes for employee appreciation. They have an entire week for celebrating their employees and they carry that attitude through the year.

Problems - Their compensation could be improved. They need to compete with Atlanta salaries instead of Columbus Salaries.
Pros
EAP - Profit Sharing
Cons
Compensation
Great Company
Benefits Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montclair, CASeptember 20, 2016
Aflac has a great family culture and if you work hard you will advance quickly. The culture is fact pace and there are frequent changes which makes it hard to adjust. Aflac grew faster than they could keep up as a company so most of the time you will feel like your running in a high speed maze. Leadership is very supportive but inexperienced.
The great thing about Aflac is the compensation. They pay their employees well and show their appreciation with other incentives such as appreciation week.
Awesome place to work and great people
Regional Administrator (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 29, 2016
I enjoyed working for this company immensely. I learned about supplemental insurance and the benefits of having them, how to speak to large groups of people. This is a very family oriented company. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to deliver a claim check to someone who was in desperate need of the money. This created a feeling of really making a difference in people's lives.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
As a salesperson you work on a 100% commission basis and this can be hard to get accustomed to.
Excellent Company with Job Security
Customer Service Representative II, Aflac (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 17, 2016
I was a customer service representative with Aflac. I answered calls regarding supplemental insurance policies. The job was challenging because there are no breaks in between calls, calls are monitored and must be completed within a certain timeframe. Nevertheless, these are common procedures amongst most call centers. The managers are extremely helpful and supportive, and it is easy to establish business "friendships" with employees. The benefits are phenomenal. The only reason why I left was to complete my education. I would be happy to return to Aflac.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Constant inbound calls
Employee and Customer focused company
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXJanuary 6, 2017
Fantastic company with incentives for new agents, great training programs, and many resources for clients. Highly ethical, good compensation, and many paths to encourage people to grow within the company.
Pros
sales, work from home, high energy, fun
Cons
hard work, long hours, unsteady income
Company was good to work for
Independent Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 12, 2017
Lots of Perks in the job and awards/incentives when you hit your targets
Encouraged teamwork in large groups
Learned to work hard to get the results needed to succeed.
Pros
Great Company to Work For
Cons
No Benefits or Base Salary
Good Employer for Self-motivated Individuals
Licensed Benefits Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2016
Aflac trains employees well and provides and environment that competitive, hard-working individuals that are welling to work as independent contractors. Cold calling essential.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Compensation - Commission only
District manager
District Sales Manager July (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MONovember 4, 2016
The position came with a lot of promises, that fell short of training. Still no income after 30days but often promises to achieve them. Many internal conflicts of resentment of middle management putting associates in the middle.
Pros
flexible for family
Cons
no salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Aflac. Our community is ready to answer.