Aflac Employee Reviews in United States

Showing all 1,128 reviews
Infrastructure Needed
Independent Health Benefits Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 5, 2016
AFLAC is hands down one of the best and most ethical companies for which to work. However, where the brand excels the infrastructure of the weekly operations leaves a great deal to be desired especially in the way of training. As a new employee the expectations were not as clearly conveyed as one might hope also, the compensation structure is explained to the new hires in a way which seems to be most confusing and difficult to comprehend with much of the staff espousing differing opinions on any given topic.
Pros
Freedom, flexibility, compensation, culture.
Cons
Chaotic, disorganized, unclear.
Amazing Place to Work
HR (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAMay 4, 2016
Aflac is the best company to work for! They really know how to treat their employees! From great benefits to great leaders, Aflac is all around a great place to work!
Fun place to work, Great Incentive, Great boss
Agent, Associate (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 2, 2016
This is a great a company to work for, What I like most about this job was the bosses were very personable, They help you get to your goals without being a pest.
Pros
Great work environment, Fun atmosphere, Excellent Model
Cons
Good place for flexible work schedule
Agent (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAApril 28, 2016
If you are independently motivated, it's a good fit.
If you want a part time job, this is not good. In order to be able to make a living here, you must work full time hours and be self motivated.
There's limited training and you do have to learn a lot of things on your own either online or by making mistakes.
Pros
Great sales contests (annual trips, money contests, etc)
Cons
commission only
Productive and fun place to work at !
Independent Associate (Current Employee) –  Loveland, COApril 27, 2016
Every one at the Regional office in Loveland is great to work with. Once you begin training they don't just throw you out in the field by yourself and tell you get this many appointments. They work with you until you are comfortable to do it on your own. They encourage you in every way and recognize your hard work !
Hard working staff
Associate Agent (Current Employee) –  La Mesa, CAApril 25, 2016
If you are willing to put in the hours and have a supplemental income, the pay off is worth while. Management team is great and willing to help.
Pros
Profitable contests
Cons
Very long hours to start
It's a start-up, not a job
Vice President II (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAApril 23, 2016
They told me before I moved two states that the job was a commission based gig, but that I'd split commissions with my boss for a time while my boss took me on appointments and introduced me to the community. I show up, and they point me to Google and told me to go and find businesses that might want to offer Aflac. Never did go on any appointments with my boss...
Pros
Good commission structure
Cons
Faulty description of what the gig was about.
Commission only and very little job training. Constant changes in management and how things were done.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 23, 2016
This was a commission only job with no benefits and no expenses covered. Very little training was given and success depended on cold calling which had a very low yield.
Pros
Total flexibility and independence.
Cons
Inconsistent pay and hassles with disgruntled policy holders.
Great work environment
Aflac Marketing and Sales Intern (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, MDApril 22, 2016
This was a great work environment that allowed me to learn about the insurance business and how to be successful within this field.
Aflac
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCApril 21, 2016
A typical day at work I would have already prepared my schedule for the week the week before so I know exactly what route I would be taking that day. Calling on business owners, or prospect on possible good potential clients. Write business off several polices and collect commissions as payment. What I learned working for Aflac would be the importance in having insurance. A lot of us don't have any type of insurance and with the reform people are being penalized. As for management, I was my own boss. I managed my businesses making sure their answers where answered if any. I managed my time and schedule along the my out-of-pocket expenses to help my market, and brand. I was my own boss so co-workers was not an issue. The hardest part of the job was that my transportation was in need of serious repair and could not withstand the extra driving. The most enjoyable part of the job was the self fulfillment because I was able to call the shots and analyze myself in how well I conduct good work.
Pros
Free lunches, bonuses, contest
Cons
No sales no money

Want to know more about Aflac?

Ask a question
Aflac
Independent Agent Representing (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 21, 2016
Great job for the right person. Make your own hours and run your own business. You should obtain your Insurance licenses for the state you decide to work in,
Good Company, Tough to do
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 19, 2016
Everything about this job was great. The reason I left was because I was offered a job not working on commission which was very appealing. Aflac is a great company, with great products.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Commision
Alcoholics Finally Landing A Career (AFLAC)
Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 19, 2016
Overall this company sucks. No structure.Their training is cold call as many people as you can and sell something.If this doesn't work- repeat first step.
"Regional" Manager told me in beginning that they give you warm leads. I admit its my fault for not clarifying this in the beginning.When I showed up for work i asked about warm leads and he said to call all the contacts in my phone. WOW!!
Pros
Cons
Anything you can think of
Too focused on contests
Independent Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAApril 16, 2016
Working with this company I have learned that you will get something and have it taken away. VERY focused on contests that do not promote the company.
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houma, LAApril 15, 2016
My work was very complicated supervising many employees. Loved my job and got along with all employees. Very work focused to do my job without errors. Worked there for 28 yrs. What I have learned working here were many skills. Working in the IT dept, posting cash and had to opportunity to be a cashier supervisor. The hardest part was to make sure all cash was accounted for at the end of each day
Pros
Met great people
Cons
free lunches, took breaks only if time allowed
Great opportunity
Field Agent (Former Employee) –  Bennington, VTApril 15, 2016
If you are willing to work and are extremely motivated the income is limitless. You pick a town and go business to business trying to fill their insurance needs. Cold calling can be difficult and nerve wracking but immensely fun and rewarding.
Good place for true sales people
Benefits Consultant - Patient Advocate (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAApril 15, 2016
Loved it overall, you can really help people, the compensation is fine if you can live on commission. It truly is your own business, so be prepared to work hard for yourself.
Pros
Own boss
Cons
Commision only pay
Aflac? Aflaaac!.. Run away!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 14, 2016
Just a year ago this time in April I was miserable as miserable a human being could be. Scared. Hopeless. Making cold calls without even knowing how to do them right.

Aflac throws you out there without any preparation, proper training and guidance. I started making my calls right after becoming an official agent with the company. Knowing nothing about any products at all. One of our Rotarians told me recently that Aflac treats their agents like they are throwing sh.t at the wall – something will stick.

Nobody really cares about you there. Here is an outdated phone script with naïve instructions on how to “overcome” prospect’s objections. Go junior, make your hundred calls a day, something should stick. If it doesn’t – make more calls. Set appointments, set appointment, more appointments! Doesn’t matter if they don’t need Aflac. Cannot be! Everyone needs Aflac. Sooner is better.

Did you set an appointment today? Great job! Hit the rock! Two or three appointments? You are a hero of the day!

After getting your appointments you of course need to bring someone experienced with you to that meeting because what can you say after being with the company for 5 days? Do you know your value proposition? Real stories? Do you have any idea how you are going to help your customer? Well, you are clueless. You are definitely in need of your manager to go with you and do all the talking. You just sit there like an elementary school student. Be silent. Listen carefully. Take notes too.

Usually all you could get is that first appointment and run it (if you are lucky and it didn’t
  more... get canceled or forgotten by your prospect) with your manager. That is it. You say there should be a presentation as a logical part of a normal sales cycle. Nope.
For some reason that I wasn’t able to identify back then, no one wanted to go any further. They needed to think about it, they needed to talk to another person within the company etc. Pretty normal outcome for a new inexperienced green sales person who doesn’t know (or care) about anything else except their burning desire to sell and get commissions. Surprisingly all that applied to most of the veteran agents and managers.

Sell, sell, sell and win another prize! Win a cruise trip, win some extra $$, show off, be better than others.

Being honest - the product Aflac offers is fairly good. Not extremely expensive. Some people can use it and find really helpful. But I am telling you, chances that you will see your original Aflac agent in a year after your purchased a policy is about 15-20%. Some new guy/gal will be your agent if you are lucky. Or if you are not, you get no one servicing you.

Good luck. Quack-quack.
Flexable
Independent Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2016
Big company
Good Name
You must be self motivated to achieve success at AFLAC. No base salary for agents.

Lots of commercials on TV.
Very strict and micor managed!
Client Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAApril 14, 2016
The benefits are average.
Senior managers are very friendly and try to boost moale
Calls are back to back
Very mico managed and I have worked in several call centers which makes the job so much more stressful than it should be.