Aflac Employee Reviews in United States

Showing all 1,181 reviews
Great product but terrible growth structure
Associate/Coordinator in Training (Former Employee) –  Deerfield, ILJune 9, 2015
AFLAC has great products and offers a great opportunity but to be successful you need to be comfortable with a lot of warm marketing and sphere of influence calls. AFLAC provides zero benefits unless you work for corporate and every expense is out of pocket, including the initial licensing and training. The company is setup as a pyramid scheme so they over-hire as there is no cost to the company and they do not setup territories which makes it very unprofessional by constantly bumping into other agents. To succeed in this environment you need a pre-established book of business to call on and strong networking ability as the managers only look out for themselves.
Pros
Flexible schedule, unlimited earning potential, freedom.
Cons
No benefits, no support, a lot of expenses.
Flexible and no salary cap
Insurance Producer (Current Employee) –  Pawcatuck CTAugust 31, 2015
If you work hard and stay dedicated you have the potential that is unlimited. However, you must be able to be self motivated and very organized. Not a job for just anyone you need to be able to pursue your goals
Pros
Ability to make really good money
Cons
no base salary
Infrastructure Needed
Independent Health Benefits Consultant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 5, 2016
AFLAC is hands down one of the best and most ethical companies for which to work. However, where the brand excels the infrastructure of the weekly operations leaves a great deal to be desired especially in the way of training. As a new employee the expectations were not as clearly conveyed as one might hope also, the compensation structure is explained to the new hires in a way which seems to be most confusing and difficult to comprehend with much of the staff espousing differing opinions on any given topic.
Pros
Freedom, flexibility, compensation, culture.
Cons
Chaotic, disorganized, unclear.
Great Company and great people
Agent (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJuly 13, 2016
Made 50 cold phone calls a day, drove around for 2-4 hours prospecting, and followed up to approaches previously made. Then I would input the data into Everwell. Time management helped with keeping everything on track. The Management or Regional Sales Coordinator was super to work with. All of the agents within our district were easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was not getting paid on a weekly bases, it was strictly commission only. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and working with other agents.
Pros
Worked when I wanted
Cons
Commission only
Supportive Work Culture
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJuly 14, 2016
Aflac espouses a culture of integrity and support, from customer claims to support for its associates.

I found the people I worked with genuinely cared about their customers and those they worked with. While the culture was competitive and driven towards consistent excellence, people went out of their way to help each other.

The hardest part of the job was the daily grind of cold-call sales. The people I worked with made this enjoyable. Plus, sales training was excellent.
Pros
excellent training, supportive environment, income potential
Cons
Commission only
Aflac
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCApril 21, 2016
A typical day at work I would have already prepared my schedule for the week the week before so I know exactly what route I would be taking that day. Calling on business owners, or prospect on possible good potential clients. Write business off several polices and collect commissions as payment. What I learned working for Aflac would be the importance in having insurance. A lot of us don't have any type of insurance and with the reform people are being penalized. As for management, I was my own boss. I managed my businesses making sure their answers where answered if any. I managed my time and schedule along the my out-of-pocket expenses to help my market, and brand. I was my own boss so co-workers was not an issue. The hardest part of the job was that my transportation was in need of serious repair and could not withstand the extra driving. The most enjoyable part of the job was the self fulfillment because I was able to call the shots and analyze myself in how well I conduct good work.
Pros
Free lunches, bonuses, contest
Cons
No sales no money
Worst mistake of my life
agent (Former Employee) –  TNJuly 28, 2015
Idea of day time hours and weekends off are a great sell BUT...
I left a manger position of 40k a yr to a cold call, NO actual leads and non existent paying job of going business to business only to get rejected with "you are the 5th agent this month to stop by and no we aren't interested" If you get someone of interest, it is of pure luck and you will most likely have to split it with a district trainer because you won't know how to conduct the meeting on your own and do all the paperwork. One agent told me they made 800 total in the first three months of being there. I made that in one week. Now I have no job and instead of continuing to waste more than three days I gave it a try, I left to spend more useful time trying to find a means of income that this place obviously can't provide. Oh and by the way, most of the agents are only there for a few months...some of the ones that stayed there longer are a district trainer now but most of them have only been there for a year or less.
They make it sound great, but it's a load of poo.
If you're unemployed and have nothing better to do for a while, maybe you can get lucky...but don't leave a great job for this!!!
Pros
8-5 m-f
Cons
no actual leads, no compensation for hrs of rejections, no benefits
The cafeteria is awesome and the extra perks are great too!
Claims Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJuly 27, 2015
Aflac is a wonderful company. I worked in the call center two years and built many friendships and learned so much about the company. Working in the call center gave me a chance to learn about all policies and speak with claimants. A typical work day would involve answering 60-100 calls a day, checking on claims status, submitting escalations and researching policies for benefits.
Pros
free lunches, snacks and prizes
Cons
alot of cold calling and warm referals
Benefits Consultant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 30, 2015
company is the top seller of suplemental benefits, Devoted to its producers and supportive, the job is easy once you learn the oroducts and the concept is easy to understand. Its not major Medical Insurance its income insurance with cash being paid directly to the employee.
Pros
self employed
Cons
no benefits
Expenses to start
Independent Agent (Current Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJMay 20, 2015
Perform corporate drops to businesses based on location and employee count to schedule appointments with the person that handles employee benefits. Cold Call in volume to schedule appointments. Teach businesses about why Aflac can help them and their employees. The main problem with the methods are that most businesses have a preconceived idea about sales over the phone and think you are soliciting when you walk through their offices to directly introduce yourself. There are many hurdles to jump over and expenses for driving, obtaining the necessary courses to obtain your state license and additional costs for business cards, laptop, proper attire, etc.
Pros
Potential to earn more than a typical job salary, flexible schedule
Cons
Cold calling, high amounts of rejection, old business practices, costly startup, No paycheck until commissions are earned
This job was a self-motivated job where employees were out in the field on a daily basis
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wexford, PAJune 28, 2016
Working for Alfac was a good experience but there was no motivation for a consistent daily routine. It was a great environment with nice people who I enjoyed working with. Management was successful but most of their employees weren't. The area of Pittsburgh is so saturated that it was not easy convincing companies to buy Alfac products.
Pros
Great management and friendly people.
Cons
I prefer and office job with structure and plans.
The BEST company for famlies
Underwriting Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 9, 2015
Aflac is the very best company to work for if you have a family. My time with Aflac was way too short, but it was the very best. They have incredible benefits, are extremely family oriented, and just down right great to work for all around.
Inconsistent, unclear and unstable processes,procedures and management.
Accounting Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 11, 2016
The last year has been a constant implementation of inconsistent, unclear and unstable processes and procedures that cause excessive stress and failure to perform productively in the production environment. Insufficient training & inability of Management to assist with the countless problems.
Pros
Salary, Benefits & Flexibility
Cons
Constant implementation of inconsistent, unclear, & unstable procedures & Management's inability to assist with the countless problems.
Very productive, started out employee-focused
Customer Service Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GADecember 22, 2015
A typical day at work involved me coming in, starting my computer, logging on, and taking calls until I logged out at the end of the day. I learned how to mutlitask. Management and the company were intensely employee-focused when I began there, but that changed over time. They were more interested in meeting numbers than in making sure the customer experience was the best, although they spoke at length about making sure the customer was taken care of. That was the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was in making sure the customer was served and happy.
Pros
Healthcare, yearly bonuses
Cons
hectic pace with no interest in making sure the employee is taken care of
Stay Away
Associate (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 5, 2016
First 'end of quarter" I was there, my manager asked if I wanted to "learn" how to write policy... Well that "learning" was writing myself TWO BEEFED UP policies. He gets 5% of that AND made his Quota and got an bonus. I'm stuck paying the bill.

RECRUITING LIES: When recruited, I was told "No Cold Calls. " "We can't handle the business we have."
First thing I got from my District Sales Coordinator was a list of businesses for cold calls. Four months later I have ZERO warm leads. My manager took me on a few enrollments, but did all the work - I still have very little idea how it all works.

Hundreds of calls and call backs later, I get through to Decision makers maybe 1% of the time. They are always busy, not interested, no time.... I'm supposed to keep pitching to them, but really, how many time do I need to hear NO???

Management is very encouraging to invest in "opportunities" - but hey, it doesn't cost them anything if you lose and they get an override if you make sale.

People just are fed up and confused with the PPACA (Obamacare), and can't deal with more insurance decisions. Headlines already predicting massive increases for 2017 and people don't want more expense.
Pros
Policies do help people, and customer service is great.
Cons
Cold Calling
Not What I was Told
insurance sales (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 22, 2015
I was called about this job and was hesitant at first. I thought for sure it would be cold calling and driving to business after business (when I didn't have a car). I told the person that I shared a car with my wife and that could be an issue but he told me to come in anyways.

In the interview I asked if I would be cold-calling. He said no. He said he didn't do that, that he had a company set up appointments and went to them and cashed in. He told me that his goal was to get me set up with a few accounts to get me started and familiar with the process, and then to turn me loose. He then told me about the compensation, the trips, the residuals, and I basically blew off another interview to join up. After spending money to get licensed I started showing up at the office.

And then I was told I would be cold calling. First 50 calls a day. Then 100. Then 200. Then I was told I needed to make at least 250 cold calls a day to be successful. I gave it a shot. I hated it. After 1000s of calls I finally got an appointment set up, but both managers had given up on me at that point. They didn't make any time to see it go through.

They brought me on a bunch of trips with them to address former clients that they were talking to during the open enrollment period. Never once did I see them talk to a new client, or open a new account. I asked about the service that set up appointments and was told that I shouldn't use it until I had a solid client base set up for myself.

Then they told me that I wasn't successful because I always came late and left early (you know, because I had
  more... to pick up and drop off my wife). Both managers contradicted the other when giving cold-calling advice. One would say not to leave messages and to have a tight pitch. The other would tell me to leave messages and just make sure they knew I worked with some company like them.

2 months later and I haven't seen a dollar. Most of the people I called told me they get called all the time. Some of the people already had Aflac.

The manager here talked bad about everybody that used to work for him (including his son), and now I know that's how he is talking about me too, despite busting my butt even after being lied to.
Pros
The possibility of good money. Good trip incentives.
Cons
Lies, 100% commission with zero help in the beginning.
Productive, hard working, and fun work environment
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Decorah, IAJuly 8, 2016
It is nice being my own boss, but time management is the key to success. I have learned a lot about sales and the insurance business. My co-workers are great and the management is great as well. The hardest part of the job is to get decision makers to understand the need for Aflac and how important it can be for the employees. The most enjoyable part is being able to help people and knowing I am making some part of their life more comforting.
Fair when assisting employees and nice people to work with
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAMay 17, 2016
*•Provide efficient and effective customer service; cross sell Bank products and services.
•Assist customers with inquiries; open and close accounts; maintain files.
•Act as supervisor when Branch Manager is out of the office.
•Keep current on Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations.
•Perform monthly audits on Teller cash boxes, the vault and ATM.

*Customer Service Skills

*Good

*Great

*Learning the various bank products

*Assisting customers
Worst Internship experience
Benefits Consultant (Former Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDJuly 27, 2015
We (5 other interns) made cold calls all day. First we had to go through training so we could pass state insurance exams that we didn't get compensated for by are "mentors." If you're good at making cold calls then you might do well depending on what area you are selling aflac benefits to.
Pros
Met 5 cool interns
Cons
No real mentoring to improve cold calling. No help on making some money.
If you work hard and produce, you are well taken care of
State Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXDecember 15, 2015
You are responsible for your work schedule, how many hours a week you want to put into your business. The more people you see the better the odds of closing business and getting compensated for your work.

Management ensures that you are trained and have the assets to do the job. After the first few months you are expected to produce on your own.

The hardest part of the job is constantly being told no or not right now. Some say yes, but the vast majority say no.

Like any other business there is a certain amount of cash that needs to be available up front. There are very few businesses that you can be producing income with as little as $300 to $500 in up front cost.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people be prepared for the unexpected expenses of an accident or illness.
Pros
Good Comp rates
Cons
Time required to the job, negative respones from the customers