Aflac

Aflac Employee Reviews

Fun Culture
Benefits Coordinator (Current Employee), Centennial ColoradoMay 19, 2015
Pros: Helping People
Cons: none
Speaking with businesses on how we can improve their benefits at no cost to the owner. Building relationships and continuing to support clients on a daily basis with excellent customer service.

The – more... management team is amazing, the other associates are enjoyable to work with, and the work/life balance is exactly what everyone is looking for.

Setting appointments, and getting a buy in from business owners is a challenge. One thing that I know, is if you are passionate and believe in what you are selling, it really isn't all that difficult.

Helping people on a daily basis stay out of medical bankruptcy and seeing the cash benefits help their family with expenses really is rewarding. – less
I was excited because I had AFLAC policies for 10 years, but Training and Mentoring was awful
Field sales (Former Employee), 8600 Hidden River Parkway, Suite 75 Tampa FL 33637May 17, 2015
Pros: I love the product. I have had 6 policies for going on 10 years.
Cons: No training, commission only, feast or famine uncomfortable work environment.
I had such high expectations for this commission only field position with AFLAC. I had their supplemental benefits and still maintain them to this day. I love and will never get rid of them. Working – more... for them was another matter entirely. I nearly starved because of the long drive (when i requested a position near my house) and they continued to have me drive more than an hour and half each way. They never provided the training and mentoring that they touted during my interview. I was there everyday for 6 weeks before my supervisor trainer even took me on my first ride along. I struggled without experience in field, or supplemental sales experience. I would not recommend this position for anyone just getting there insurance credential and not having an existing book of business prior to going into a commission only position. I have found in recent jobs that I am more suited to a more business casual call center type position, where i can take my time getting to know my customer's instead of appointments in the hot weather in suits and ties going to field appointments, which cancel without notice and unpredicatible variables of field sales. – less
worked with great people that were willing to help you get started
Agent (Former Employee), CaliforniaMay 15, 2015
It was challenging work but it was worth doing it to help people. I enjoyed learning and working with the people I worked with. The challenge was making sure you made the money you wanted to make. It was all commission and up to you to make money.
It Could Be Better
Agent (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 13, 2015
100% commission is overrated with promises of high lifestyle living and prizes only for the top selling who have been with the company a long time. They only want you to sell by using scripts.
Hard to work for the Duck
Special Projects Coordinator (Current Employee), Dallas-Fort Worth, TXMay 13, 2015
Pros: Freedom, income potential
Cons: Sales model, cold calling, door knocking
Cold calling, cold calling, cold calling. You better be young, single and living with someone else, or have a spouse or significant other who has a good job that can pay the bills.. Aflac hires anything that can breathe and have a 96% turnover on new Agents within 3-6 months.
Excellent Culture
Broker Services Manager (Current Employee), Columbus, GAMay 12, 2015
Aflac is a wonderfully diverse place to work. I am proud to say that I work for Aflac. The best part about my job is working with great co-workers.
Fun and relaxed work environment.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Columbus, GAMay 12, 2015
Answered phones, Typed memo's, Made travel arrangements and completed the expense reports when the person returned from the trip. Helped the department with typing Forms for the Accountants and mailed – more... the Forms. Typed 940, 941 and 945 Payroll Forms. Ran reports for payroll. I enjoyed being a team player with my co- workers. Sent out B-Notice's to Providers, Vendors and Agents to be in compliance with the IRS. Paid Invoices that came to the department. There was really nothing hard about my position.
Enjoyable part of my job was my boss and helping others. – less
Excellent place to work when holding a permanent position.
Information Technology Service Technician Aflac (Current Employee), Columbus, GAMay 11, 2015
I started working on May 16th 2014 as a temporary employee for Aflac, my position was Technical Support Specialist and had the last shift 11-8 pm. Thank God after 10 months i was hired by Aflac as a permanent – more... employee and i have to say that is was a 10k pay raise and the benefits are the best unless your is the military. After becoming an Aflac employee you have the chance to get some of their policies free and 50% off, you cant beat. – less
Over saturated
Independent Agent (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 7, 2015
Great product. Too many independent agents. Company does not want to committ to employing agents so they have a commision based pay scale. Its possible to work all day and not make any money. Thats not practicle for most people.
Must have money saved and be available 40+ hours per week
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Junction City, KSApril 29, 2015
Pros: Awesome, supportive company
Cons: Commission only
It is commission only so have some money saved to cover your expenses. My District Sales Coordinator was awesome and my whole team was very helpful. I was not committed to the amount of hours and did not have adequate savings for expenses so it didn't work out for me.
Competitive Work Environment
Associate Account Representative (Current Employee), Worcester, MAApril 28, 2015
I would spend 8 hours a day making cold calls or door knocking for prospective clients. I would set up appointments and enrollments for businesses.
Self employment is nice, but difficult
Insurance Sales Associate (Current Employee), Silver City, NMApril 27, 2015
I like being self employed, but it is hard to always make enough money. I am able to work when I want. It can be difficult to get started because unless you are able to work with broker you have to cold call until you can get into a company and sell to their employees.
no ping pong table but great leaders.
Licensed Agent (Current Employee), Sarasota, FLApril 25, 2015
Pros: Great support and training.
Cons: Overlapping territories.
You are your own boss and get out of it what you put into it. Intensive training and support system. All my management in Florida are very supportive and knowledgeable.
There were too many challenges at office between agents
Independent Agent (Former Employee), Ellicott City, MdApril 23, 2015
Pros: accident payout within days
Cons: weak indenpendent agencies
Although AFlac advertize great benefits, but the independent agencies behave otherwise. Their intents were to make as much profit from anyone as they could.
Flexible work hours
Independent Sales Rep (Current Employee), Holbrook, NYApril 23, 2015
Pros: Hours
Cons: Commission only
The flexible hours allowed me to spend plenty of time with my dying father and doing things in my personal life that needed to be done. The job itself, working with people, exposing them to programs that would greatly benefit them - was extremely enjoyable.
Poor Management and Leadership
Independent Benefits Consultant (Former Employee), Shawnee, OKApril 22, 2015
Pros: None that I can think of.
Cons: Misleading management, Lots of cold calling to businesses who want nothing to do with Aflac, Confusing commission amounts, poor training
Aflac recruits independent consultants so they can use them as cheap labor. You foot all the bills, they do not have to offer you health insurance, workmans comp, savings plan, etc since you are a 1099 – more... employee. Saves them a ton of money at your expense! During the interview and the so called training they keep telling you about building "your" business. Not true! It will never be your own business. You are just marketing THEIR product to businesses who generally can't stand Aflac. Most business owners cringe when they find out your an Aflac agent because you are probably the 5th one that has came in their doors that week. The market is saturated with Aflac agents even though your DSC swears you are the only agent within the area. Complete lies! Please do yourself a favor and ignore any job listings for Aflac agents. – less
you get to learn new things everyday.
Agent (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 22, 2015
you get to help people with life changing things everyday and it feels good. you get a chance to change someones life. This company has a lot to offer a bright and shining person willing to help people achive financial security.
Community Impact
Insurance and Mortgage Broker (Former Employee), Orlando, FLApril 21, 2015
In this area AFLAC is over represented, resulting in multiple contacts to the extent that it had developed a bad reputation in solicitation. However, the products and company itself were fantastic. I could not make an effective income there.
No pay Unless previous Contacts, also Depends on DSC
Sales Agent (Current Employee), South Florida - Virgin Islands StateApril 21, 2015
Pros: Job/Work life Balance, Exploring new Areas
Cons: Absolutely no pay unless you sell a policy
I was hired when i went to a Job fair here in South Florida. I met with my soon to be DSC and RSC. the woman who eventually became my DSC asked if i had plans on owning a business, and i said yes i do – more... eventually. She, in a way, blew smoke up my rear end and withheld information like the fact that it wasn't likely for me to make decent money until after 6 months. She also withheld the fact that i had to pay out right for EVERYTHING except literature. This included the approximate $1,000 it cost to get licensed to even have the job in the first place.

Eventually i found out that while a few of my coworkers were great and amazing, my DSC was not someone who i respected as a leader because I myself am i leader-type person and she was not doing what was expected of her. She was always procrastinating and kept a lot of business to herself and another coworker who was family.

I knew i had to leave "this moment" when i received my 1099 in January after working since the middle of May. My problem here is that i could have been flipping burger at minimum wage during that time and have made MORE than what was on my 1099. I should also mention that i didn't receive ANYTHING back in a tax return.

The moral of the story is: if you have $1,000 laying around to be licensed, and you have innumerable contacts from previous jobs, your church, your community, this is a perfect job. This is not a job for someone who is young and has no contacts even if you have great wherewithal.

Would i like to have an Aflac policy? Yes. In terms of treating their customers they are very well. They pay claims fast and the claims process itself is easy. Aflac does not, however, treat their employees in the same way they treat their policyholders. – less
Fun and energetic place to work with lots of opportunities
Insurance Agent (Current Employee), Columbia, MOApril 19, 2015
This is a HIGHLY Self-Motivated career. If you put your all into this job, you should be able to succeed. Just be prepared for the unexpected. Accounts canceling/ rescheduling happens more often than not. Also, have a substantial savings before you start, as well as while you work. There may be weeks you are working without income.
Headquarters