Aflac Employee Reviews in United States

Showing all 1,202 reviews
Commission only and very little job training. Constant changes in management and how things were done.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INApril 23, 2016
This was a commission only job with no benefits and no expenses covered. Very little training was given and success depended on cold calling which had a very low yield.
Pros
Total flexibility and independence.
Cons
Inconsistent pay and hassles with disgruntled policy holders.
Great work environment
Aflac Marketing and Sales Intern (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, MDApril 22, 2016
This was a great work environment that allowed me to learn about the insurance business and how to be successful within this field.
Aflac
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCApril 21, 2016
A typical day at work I would have already prepared my schedule for the week the week before so I know exactly what route I would be taking that day. Calling on business owners, or prospect on possible good potential clients. Write business off several polices and collect commissions as payment. What I learned working for Aflac would be the importance in having insurance. A lot of us don't have any type of insurance and with the reform people are being penalized. As for management, I was my own boss. I managed my businesses making sure their answers where answered if any. I managed my time and schedule along the my out-of-pocket expenses to help my market, and brand. I was my own boss so co-workers was not an issue. The hardest part of the job was that my transportation was in need of serious repair and could not withstand the extra driving. The most enjoyable part of the job was the self fulfillment because I was able to call the shots and analyze myself in how well I conduct good work.
Pros
Free lunches, bonuses, contest
Cons
No sales no money
Aflac
Independent Agent Representing (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 21, 2016
Great job for the right person. Make your own hours and run your own business. You should obtain your Insurance licenses for the state you decide to work in,
Good Company, Tough to do
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 19, 2016
Everything about this job was great. The reason I left was because I was offered a job not working on commission which was very appealing. Aflac is a great company, with great products.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Commision
Alcoholics Finally Landing A Career (AFLAC)
Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDApril 19, 2016
Overall this company sucks. No structure.Their training is cold call as many people as you can and sell something.If this doesn't work- repeat first step.
"Regional" Manager told me in beginning that they give you warm leads. I admit its my fault for not clarifying this in the beginning.When I showed up for work i asked about warm leads and he said to call all the contacts in my phone. WOW!!
Pros
Cons
Anything you can think of
Too focused on contests
Independent Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAApril 16, 2016
Working with this company I have learned that you will get something and have it taken away. VERY focused on contests that do not promote the company.
Enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houma, LAApril 15, 2016
My work was very complicated supervising many employees. Loved my job and got along with all employees. Very work focused to do my job without errors. Worked there for 28 yrs. What I have learned working here were many skills. Working in the IT dept, posting cash and had to opportunity to be a cashier supervisor. The hardest part was to make sure all cash was accounted for at the end of each day
Pros
Met great people
Cons
free lunches, took breaks only if time allowed
Great opportunity
Field Agent (Former Employee) –  Bennington, VTApril 15, 2016
If you are willing to work and are extremely motivated the income is limitless. You pick a town and go business to business trying to fill their insurance needs. Cold calling can be difficult and nerve wracking but immensely fun and rewarding.
Good place for true sales people
Benefits Consultant - Patient Advocate (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAApril 15, 2016
Loved it overall, you can really help people, the compensation is fine if you can live on commission. It truly is your own business, so be prepared to work hard for yourself.
Pros
Own boss
Cons
Commision only pay
Aflac? Aflaaac!.. Run away!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 14, 2016
Just a year ago this time in April I was miserable as miserable a human being could be. Scared. Hopeless. Making cold calls without even knowing how to do them right.

Aflac throws you out there without any preparation, proper training and guidance. I started making my calls right after becoming an official agent with the company. Knowing nothing about any products at all. One of our Rotarians told me recently that Aflac treats their agents like they are throwing sh.t at the wall – something will stick.

Nobody really cares about you there. Here is an outdated phone script with naïve instructions on how to “overcome” prospect’s objections. Go junior, make your hundred calls a day, something should stick. If it doesn’t – make more calls. Set appointments, set appointment, more appointments! Doesn’t matter if they don’t need Aflac. Cannot be! Everyone needs Aflac. Sooner is better.

Did you set an appointment today? Great job! Hit the rock! Two or three appointments? You are a hero of the day!

After getting your appointments you of course need to bring someone experienced with you to that meeting because what can you say after being with the company for 5 days? Do you know your value proposition? Real stories? Do you have any idea how you are going to help your customer? Well, you are clueless. You are definitely in need of your manager to go with you and do all the talking. You just sit there like an elementary school student. Be silent. Listen carefully. Take notes too.

Usually all you could get is that first appointment and run it (if you are lucky and it didn’t
  more... get canceled or forgotten by your prospect) with your manager. That is it. You say there should be a presentation as a logical part of a normal sales cycle. Nope.
For some reason that I wasn’t able to identify back then, no one wanted to go any further. They needed to think about it, they needed to talk to another person within the company etc. Pretty normal outcome for a new inexperienced green sales person who doesn’t know (or care) about anything else except their burning desire to sell and get commissions. Surprisingly all that applied to most of the veteran agents and managers.

Sell, sell, sell and win another prize! Win a cruise trip, win some extra $$, show off, be better than others.

Being honest - the product Aflac offers is fairly good. Not extremely expensive. Some people can use it and find really helpful. But I am telling you, chances that you will see your original Aflac agent in a year after your purchased a policy is about 15-20%. Some new guy/gal will be your agent if you are lucky. Or if you are not, you get no one servicing you.

Good luck. Quack-quack.
Flexable
Independent Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 14, 2016
Big company
Good Name
You must be self motivated to achieve success at AFLAC. No base salary for agents.

Lots of commercials on TV.
Very strict and micor managed!
Client Service Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAApril 14, 2016
The benefits are average.
Senior managers are very friendly and try to boost moale
Calls are back to back
Very mico managed and I have worked in several call centers which makes the job so much more stressful than it should be.
Productive environment
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHApril 12, 2016
fun easy nice people good pay good work life balance it was okay working for this company.i would go back. i learned to sale. manegment was nice. no hard part. all phases was enjoyable
Pros
time mangement
Cons
commission pay
great company to work for
License Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Goldston, NCApril 11, 2016
great company to work for, but working for commissionn is not desirable. The job required that I daily seek business owners interested in Aflac.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
working on commission
Inconsistent, unclear and unstable processes,procedures and management.
Accounting Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 11, 2016
The last year has been a constant implementation of inconsistent, unclear and unstable processes and procedures that cause excessive stress and failure to perform productively in the production environment. Insufficient training & inability of Management to assist with the countless problems.
Pros
Salary, Benefits & Flexibility
Cons
Constant implementation of inconsistent, unclear, & unstable procedures & Management's inability to assist with the countless problems.
Very interactive place to work
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  San Juan, PRApril 11, 2016
IF you are looking for versatility in a job, becoming an Aflac Agent will make it happen for you. Is grate for talking to people from various working sectors.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
salary depends on comissions
Fabulous company
Accounting Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 11, 2016
Enjoyable job, but you must really LOVE change in order to work here.

Me personally, I really miss working in the medical field where I felt like things made sense and I was a person of knowledge. I made a difference. I helped the customer face to face and over the phone at times; not always just in front of a computer monitor. .
Pros
Blue jeans, put in your ear buds crank up your tunes and get your work done.
Cons
Policy/format/SOP's change almost daily so hang on.
Contract Work
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 10, 2016
disfunctional leadership, 100% commission, door to door sales, if you need financial security this is not the job for you.
It was a hard job
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Chico, CAApril 10, 2016
You had to be a real people person to do this kind of job. It was fun going into local businesses and trying to sell supplemental insurance. And meeting people and discovering what types of businesses there are out there.
Pros
meet all kinds of people/work at your our schedule
Cons
work at all hours