AIG Employee Reviews

Found 1,057 reviews matching the search
Team is great; management not great
Director (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 8, 2017
I work with a great team with smart, collaborative people. We grew closer and worked harder together because we managed to get through the tough days of activist investors pressuring the firm. The executives were not supportive, however. All focus was on extreme cost reduction. The uncertainty caused adversely affected morale
Pros
Work life balance, reasonable benefits
Cons
No room for advancement, uncertainty created by senior executives
Case Manager Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 21, 2017
If you need or require some type of experience to place on your resume, i.e. sales, marketing, your FLMI etc. okay to work. However, do understand that longevity is not appreciated.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere, business casual attire
Cons
horrible training, constant lay offs, unrealistic expectations, mainframe constantly crashing computer help desk in the Phillippines, couldn't understand the rep half of the time.
Financial Advisor
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 7, 2017
I was hired by AIG shortly after graduating from the University of Central Florida. I managed assets of approximately $45 million, advised investors to identify and attain their financial goals, and developed relationships with several hundred clients. My job included establishing retirement plans for schools and businesses using 401(k), 403(b) and SEP/ SIMPLE IRA platforms. I received monetary awards and qualified for national sales award conferences at Las Vegas, Orlando, the Bahamas, and Whistler, British Columbia. I enjoyed my time that I spent working for AIG Valic.
Moving forward in all directions
Director - HR Operations (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2017
After the tumultuous the 2008 crash, top leadership changes never took the time to solidify the strategic direction of the company. This lead to middling support of necessary changes to shore up the holes created during the crash. Many of those who joined post-crash have a rosier view of the company's direction than the "survivors."
Company had been trending to a more flexible working environment, especially with NY-area staff more open to remote work options; this was often dependent on role and immediate management support. Compensation often below market.
Pros
Improving flexible work options
Cons
Unstable future
Great Opportunities for those seeking to test the limits of their abilities
AIGGS - Global Services (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 13, 2017
If your fortunate enough to work in a group that allows you to work remote... great benefit!!!

Company is always seeking technology to enhance or automate their environment; this offers a great deal of opportunity to learn evolving technology and best practices.
Pros
WFA: Work from anywhere, Great compensation packages which include salary, medical, dental, vision, 401k, HSA contribution etc..
Cons
Lots of direction changes w/o a true vision or road map, Continuous management shifts impact moral and progress without any specific objectives or direction
Fast paced
Document Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSFebruary 20, 2017
Lots to learn which is a plus since I enjoy learning. I worked with a lot of good people whom I will miss. I felt that I could speak with management whenever needed. The hardest parts of the job were overcoming systems issues which at times created backlog and getting people trained well enough to do the job independently. The most enjoyable parts of the job were becoming an expert in my field and being able to train and support fellow employees. A typical day included processing claim including legal documents and urgent items and assisting anyone who needed help.
Pros
Good benefits, enjoyed the people I worked with
Cons
Low compensation for quality and quantity of work performed. Too many system issues.
Not the best experience I have ever had
Business Analyst Metrics and Statistics (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJFebruary 10, 2017
I was hired as a FTE and when I arrived I asked questions. No answers were given. The person in change of my group was a nasty individual that demeaned people in a bullying manner. The person I reported to was not technical and her eyes glassed over when I tried to be specific. I was blamed for things that she did not comprehend and eventually they restructured and I was released. Best thing that ever happened to me.
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Not a good job
Great company, wonderful work enviroment,diversfied workload
Technical Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Neptune City, NJFebruary 6, 2017
I had a great experience as an employee of AIG. We had a wonderful work environment with great coworkers, great team spirit and the option to work from home during the week, We were a highly productive department with a diversified workload. This combination made for an interesting and engaging job. Unfortunately, the company made the decision to remove the company from the group insurance benefit business which was the AIG Neptune office's main line of business and my job as affected with this corporate decision.
Pros
Option to work from home, easy commute, friendly work enviroment
Cons
AIG does not offer raises to salary
Stay away unles it's temporary
Senior Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INFebruary 3, 2017
This job is a dead end career. If that's what you're looking for then please apply. This job has good qualities as far as the work environment goes but the management and pay is overrated. None of the higher staff have a human bone in their bodies and everything is strictly black and white with them. I suggest staying away from this company unless it's a temporary job for you.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Management is unorganized and pay is low
Can't trust it here
Client service analyst (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXFebruary 10, 2017
I worked here for many years. They are outsourcing jobs more and more. Management can be fair to good, but it's the luck of the draw. It used to be a good place. I would keep looking. You cannot plan your day or life with your family. Morale is low and a time keeping system tracks your every stroke or lack of. Turnover is high,
Pros
Free drinks, food days, good benefits
Cons
Low morale, excessive overtime, outsourcing, bad upper management
Great place to refine your professional skillset
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2017
However, depending on your team, work-life balance may/may not be as flexible as you desire. Management is not the most versatile and you will find there is room for much needed training (i.e. emotional intelligence 101). Still, good place to be at. Going through many changes, then again which company these days isn't do this as well?
Pros
Benefits, Salary
Cons
Lack-luster management, too many changes
Great
FINANCIAL PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2017
• Specialized skills data and spreadsheet analysis and optimizing results for enhanced decision-making and process improvement.
• An ability to assess client/business needs and facilitate programs that achieve desired objectives.
• Excels in fast-paced deadline-driven environments in serving as liaison to internal/external customers on financially-related subjects.
• Strong customer-facing, listening, communication, technical, and problem-solving skills.
• Proficiency in multiple software programs including Microsoft Excel, Pipeline, Crump, and Quicken.
Average and Declining
Operations Processor (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 25, 2017
A typical day at work is very much like the day before, If you love routine you would like this company.
Management is not consistent. I have had great managers, and terrible ones, more bad than good.
The culture is not one that makes a person feel good, emphasis on cost cutting and productivity has some people afraid to even speak to each other. Overall employee morale is low.
Benefits have been cut several times lately, pay does not keep up with inflation, most years there are no raises at all.
If you like to feel bored and used, this may the place for you.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Stagnant Compenstaion, Layoffs
AIG was a terrific work opportunity for me.
Workers' Compensation Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJanuary 24, 2017
Working at AIG was a great experience for me. I began as a temporary employee and was hired permanently in 1999. I was quickly promoted to a WC claims assistant and then to a claims adjuster. The benefits were good and I made lifelong friends working there. I gained a great deal of knowledge that has served me well through the years.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Very heavy workload
If you enjoy being yelled at
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNJanuary 17, 2017
A typical day is a metrics of 50 calls. However with the recent change in company infrastructure, basically the huge layoff of agents. All calls were routed to the call center employees since agents were no longer there to assist.
The huge call volume along with long wait times caused clients to become irritated easily. What was usually a simple call turned into ridiculous runarounds and unsure CSR's getting bashed due to upper management making CSR's the scapegoats.
Only plus were the benefits
Pros
PTO
Cons
Low pay, Call volume, Upper Management
Great place for learning and career advancement
Tax Analyst (I & II) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2017
Working for the tax department at AIG is both fun and challenging. Fun for anyone who enjoys fast paced environments, working with brilliant professionals who know not only how to get the job done, but also how to build a strong team and have a good time. Challenging because often the hours are long during the busy season so a certain degree of flexibility is required in terms of overtime.
Great benefits
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMarch 6, 2017
I work as a call team member.
Though I am front line for the company and a tenured representative, I do not believe I have a voice. My feedback, nor the customers' feedback is important. Customer feedback is only taken seriously if it comes through the sales team.
I learned about "faking it til you make it".
The benefits are good. Dental/medical and matched 401K.
Good experience, wouldnt go there again
Sr Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 14, 2017
Constant in-fighting, layoffs, downsizing. mismanagement. No salary raises or increases in years. No clear strategy or direction. asked to do more work with less people. leadership out of touch and showed favoritism. Sent work overseas to India. Indian workers would go on 3 weeks vacation in india then work from home in India for 2 weeks and was all paid for by company.
Low diversity
Sr. (Data) Architect (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 26, 2017
Company was not performing well, resulting in divestitures and cut-backs, both in technology and projects, and mass lay-offs of employees - by groups and entire divisions, while the company was performing divestitures.
Work life balance and salary were fine, and ranked well. However, growth opportunities, forward thinking, diversity and encouragement of women in IT were lacking, as the environment tended to be old school and conservative.
Technologically, it was diverse, either very far ahead, or deeply lagging behind.
Communication across teams and across the organization was challenging, and re-organizations, hiring/layoffs were a fact of life, that impacted the day to day quality of the workplace.
However, it was a great learning experience, and salary and benefits were excellent, and market comparable.
Undergoing Significant and Ongoing Change
Digital Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 23, 2016
I spent a total of 12 years there and the first six were great, the last six not so much. Undoubtedly things had to change after the 2008 crisis. However, much of the change has not been for the better insofar as how it impacts the day-to-day operations and typical employee. Morale is low, layoffs are ongoing, budgets tight. Senior management more worried about The Street than employees and customers. Need I say more?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AIG. Our community is ready to answer.