AKA Comp is a Chicago based technology solution provider, with a specialization in incorporating technology with the school curriculum in a very seamless way. We do not provide readymade solutions but rather we research with our client’s needs and develop a tailored solution to meet their vision.
Over the past 10 years AKA Comp has closely worked with many different schools in the Chicago land area both from the technical as well as the academic side to understand the needs for integration of technology in the classroom. We have assisted these schools in achieving a new level of acquaintance with the technology to provide the teachers with greater efficiency thus also improving retention level in students.
Provide management and technical oversight to the Web Development Team, responsible for both new and existing development projects. The person fulfilling this position will be the prime point-of-contact between the clients and the development team. This position will direct, establish plans and implement policies and procedures for the team, including best practices, Service Level Agreements and corresponding metrics. Continually improve the performance of the team, by adopting and maturing the team’s application of standard practices, measuring performance and developing team personnel. Provide support for projects, adhere to project timelines and technical deliverables within different clients, and analyze and provide quality technical solutions that meet or exceed client expectations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary responsibility of the Web Development Team Manager is act as a conduit between the clients and the development team; communicate with the clients to identify their needs and ensure the development team fulfills its function within the Website/Application Development & Support Service Domain.
Additional responsibilities identified under Staff Management, Relationships, Practices, Service Leadership and Planning. Mentioned below are all responsibilities to be understood within the context of fulfilling the team’s function.
1. Oversee the day-to-day activities of the Web Development Team
2. Recruit and develop effective team members when and if needed
3. Conduct the following key processes for the team:
- On-boarding, orientation and rapid transition to productive contribution
- Periodic performance review and goal-setting
- Planning and setting achievable development goals
4. Determine and communicate roles, responsibilities & expectations
5. Counsel team members to cultivate the skills required for advancement within the organization
6. Organize to align skills to meet the needs of clients
7. Create resource capacity plans to manage the resource demands of the team
- Maintain good working relationships with other team leaders, including regular dialogues to ensure service levels are met and client needs are fulfilled, to coordinate the management of staff, key inter-dependencies among teams, consistency of approach, and the effective application and improvement of common practices and processes
o Adopt, communicate and ensure compliance with standard practices
o Lead and/or contribute to the development, maintenance and continuous improvement of complementary web development specific practices.
o Relevant web development specific practices include, but are not limited to:
Software Development Lifecycle
Development standards and techniques
o Mentor and educate staff on the standard practices and ensure adherence
o Service Leadership
Lead development-related work streams during full lifecycle development projects, keeping management apprised of the status and any issues related to the work streams
Contribute to the development of implementation approaches and project plans, as assigned
Provide technical direction for development, design, and systems integration from definition phase through implementation
Oversee and do maintenance of websites in current and future projects
Provide technical expertise in identifying, evaluating, and developing effective procedures and systems requirements that meet business requirements
Maintain current knowledge of the following, both personally and among team staff:
- Industry best practices and concepts relevant to the development cycle and practices in the team’s scope
- New or emerging technologies related to the team’s scope
Recommend and incorporate new technologies in response to current and emerging business needs, as expressed by customers
- Assist in the preparation of annual budgets for the service domain
- Conduct make/buy analyses and in-source/out-source reviews for relevant purchases, as requested
- Establish and track progress toward annual and quarterly goals for the team
- Participate in resource capacity forecasting on a periodic basis, in collaboration with other teams in the service domain
Bachelor’s degree in business, science, or computer-related field
Knowledge of some sort of CMS: Joomla, Wordpress, etc
Good communication both written and verbal
Basic experience with business information systems integration or custom business application design and development in a professional technology consulting, corporate MIS or software development environment
Website design and development experience
Previous experience managing software development and/or production support teams
Previous employee development, performance review and career development experience
Significant expertise in object-oriented concepts and/or service-oriented architecture
Understanding, and demonstrated application, of software architectural concepts, including responsibility-driven design and the selection and use of application patterns
Manufacturing or distribution industry experience
Experience working in a large Corporate/Divisional model
International business and systems experience