JOB TITLE: Plant Manager
REPORTS TO: General Manager
PURPOSE: The purpose of this job is to effectively manage the daily plant operations to assure maximum production of quality products in accordance with corporate goals and objectives.
Plant Operation Duties:
- Develops, implements, and maintains policies and procedures related to plant operations.
- Directs and approves purchasing of appropriate materials/supplies in a timely manner to achieve customer and/or company time-frames.
- Ensures production equipment/machinery is properly maintained, repaired, or replaced as necessary to maintain smooth daily plant operations.
- Hires, assures appropriate training, and evaluates job performance of plant personnel.
- Controls allocation and use of personnel to ensure fulfillment of production schedules in a cost-effective manner.
- Conducts regular scheduled safety training to provide a safe working environment, including the application and implementation of new equipment/machinery.
- Conducts regular scheduled departmental meetings enhancing communication throughout the plant.
- Ensures adherence to all established company policies and procedures through specialized training of supervisors.
- Ensure S.O.P’s are developed, accurate and utilized for plant processes.
- Develop bench strength through training and succession planning efforts.
- Analyzes, develops, and prepares the plant operating expense budget, monitoring and investigating discrepancies as situations arise.
- Prepares weekly yield sheets for review by the Vice President of Operations and other reports as requested.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations and requirements, as required, including environmental (KDHE).
- Provides a leadership role in the integration of efforts throughout the plant promoting a positive work atmosphere.
- Promotes a positive image of PMI, through community involvement.
- Must live within 30 minutes of the plant.
- Specific knowledge and first-hand experience with industrial production processes in an edible or non-edible food processing plant.
- Ability to monitor the production processes, make necessary adjustments in scheduling and/or improve production methods/techniques to achieve company goals.
- Knowledge and ability to implement and ensure adherence to all safety techniques and procedures related to plant operations.
- Knowledge and ability to analyze, forecast, and plan production objectives.
- Ability to hire, train and evaluate personnel ensuring a competent work force to meet production objectives in a cost-effective manner. This will include goal setting and measurement of performance.
- Ability to develop and implement standard policies and procedures to maintain consistent daily plant operations, including S.O.P’s.
- Ability to effectively interact and manage plant personnel.
- Ability to effectively communicate with corporate office management, contractors, vendors, suppliers, and other business related contacts.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality related to all duties and responsibilities, such as production goals and personnel information.
- Ability to perform basic and complex mathematical calculations.
- Knowledge of organizational methods and the ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Ability to remain calm and professional during peak periods of activity.
- Ability to work daily and extended hours as necessary.
- Ability to assist with special or ongoing projects as instructed by the Vice President of Operations.
- Knowledge in statistical process control preferred.
- Formal knowledge in Continuous Improvement/Lean Manufacturing preferred.
College degree in the field of production or management preferred.
Eight years experience in a process manufacturing environment required; food industry experience preferred. Prior experience as a Plant Manager is required. Process experience in the meat or ingredient industry is preferred.