AT&T Employee Reviews

Found 13,364 reviews matching the search
Excellent corporation with benefits and great people
CSR4 Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTMarch 26, 2016
Although I left due to lack of advancement potential, this in no way should detract from working for DIRECTV. It was a BIG small company and felt like it. They were family and community minded and truly cared for the customer. I can't speak for all call centers or managers company-wide but the culture was in place for excellence at all levels. Highly recommend it as a great place to work.

Call center work is difficult at best, but every accommodation is made to help employees feel valued, safe and comfortable. Co-workers were the best I've ever worked with, and supportive.

If you enjoy helping customers this is a great place with tools to support you.

I left right after the AT&T merger, so I can't vouch for current conditions, other than my coworkers continuing to work there.
Pros
Healthcare, flexible shifts and other benefits, coworkers
Cons
pay (higher than most for the area, but still low overall), management change-over and some favortism
Loud Workplace
Direct TV Sales Agent, Synchronoss (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAMarch 28, 2016
Working there was a fight to keep the job. Management had many issues with lower leveled workers. Most co-workers on the same level, was fairly friendly, but when it came to supervisors, seniors, and Team Leads; there was a lack of consistency. The hardest part of the job was trying to maintain the job. Due to the fact management was always looking to fire people based off of personal issue, rather than business. Too many workers in the job was either falsely excused, or fired due to outside personal issues. The job was not completely horrible due to the few peers who are consistent and trying to help the company.
Pros
Weekly Pay, Medical Benefits
Cons
Short breaks, Staff Issue, Scheduling Issues
Working together to benefit life and the company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, MSMarch 24, 2016
This was an excellent place to work. Managers worked together to assure we all was on the same page/consistency. If you were out on vacation, they believed in being on vacation, other managers would ensure your reps know the changing of policy or procedures to ensure they are top performers. Before we moved on to another project we ensure all the reps were trained and if they had any questions we (manager) would answer with the same answer-again consistency and all on the same page. We had fun at all times as well as was the top center in the the organization every year.
Pros
Benefits, pay, co-workers, teammates, work life balance, education, time for success and learn, opportunity, moving up for different position
Cons
Short breaks at time
Typical day in the life of AT&T
Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSMarch 24, 2016
It is very fast past environment. Constantly changing procedures and policies depending on the needs of the business. If you plan your day the day before, you will have to adjust calendar to compensate the needs of the business. You may get some irrigated customer that you will have to assist and diffuse their anger. AT&T is a good company to work for, they provide excellent benefits. I have learned that each day is different and you cannot get upset and back away from daily life. Working with co-workers are a great way of learning from each other. We worked well together to improve results and share best practices to ensure we are all successful in what we do. I love working with the teams to better results. We had fun events to keep the agents motivated. The hardest I have experienced is there is no work/life balance. Family is important
Pros
Benefits, Insurance, co-workers, pay
Cons
no work/life balance
Nice place to work for first 10 years, salary and benefits were excellent and manaement was great also until AT&T purhased Bellsouth.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ft Lauderdale, FlMarch 14, 2016
Typical day at work was taking incoming calls to resolve customers telecommunication issues and needs whether it be billing or selling the customer one of our new services. examples of what we sold to our customers were cell service, land line service, high speed internet service or cable TV. Co workers on a whole were great and we worked together as a team. The hardest part of the job was consistently meeting my sales quotas. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping my customers resolve any issues or concerns they were having that made them call in to the call center.
Pros
Fair salaries and great medical and dental benefits
Cons
Management was only concerned about sales not customer service
Smart people, interesting projects
Sr Manager (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAFebruary 19, 2016
I worked at DIRECTV before the AT&T merger, so some of my experiences may no longer apply. Your satisfaction will depend on your department and your direct manager. I had both fabulous and mediocre. Great managers give you lots of career development and push you to do things out of your comfort zone - but are still there to back you up if you need it. Other managers just have you do the same thing day-after-day. They had re-orgs almost yearly. If you survive a re-org, your desk tends to move. Some employees moved yearly. Be friendly and learn about other's roles in other departments, this will help you seek other opportunities and you can climb the corporate ladder. I watched one manager skyrocket to Vice President in 5 years. Others languished in the same non-management role for decades. Good salary and benefits. I learned a lot of new skills and confidence in my work!
Pros
Fun Corporate events, bonuses
Cons
Many re-orgs, not a great work/life balance.
Advancement is tough/ work/life balance needed
Area Manager Contracting and Sourcing (Former Employee) –  Morganton, NCMarch 7, 2016
Since I Left I heard that work -life balance is improving from the top down. Compensation was good for the area I was in. Hardest part is getting buy in on new ideas and management methods. Most of the people you work with are 1st class people as for as peers and support. Middle management needs some work but Upper management were dead on most of the time. You will do a lot to CYA but if you cover your boss raises are good if they don't get blindsided during the year.
Pros
Most employees are helpful and a delight to work with
Cons
healthcae has went down over my 23 years / cost gone up
Not for the weak
Customer Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 26, 2016
I worked in a call center environment. I handled billing issues, set up new accounts, and sold products. My customers were on the verge of leaving the company, so I had to keep them from canceling and sell them new products.

I learned that customers just want their problems solved for the most part.

The hardest part of my job was the lack of care the company had for customers. We were to sale despite their situations. I have sold products to people who were laid off of their jobs just to keep my job

The best part of this job was compensation and benefits, but you could easily go from making 50,000 a year to being unemployed if you do not hit the mark in sales, retention, and a few more areas.
Pros
Benefits and compensation
Cons
stressfull environment
Life at AT&T
Electronic Technician III (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMarch 6, 2016
AT&T is a great company thanks to the UNION and the outstanding benefits it negotiates on behalf of its members.The salary is great.ATT does not offer real opportunities for its non management employees to advance through the ranks unless you get a recommendation from upper management.Very diverse culturally.A 4 year degree, even a Master degree mean nothing when it comes to promotion or bidding on jobs outside of your group or department.
Pros
Culturally diverse
Cons
No promotion to certain people unless your boss or someone higher up recommend you for promotion
Has the potential to be a great place to work, it just does not offer a good work/life balance.
Retails Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 18, 2016
I have been in sales for many years now, and all of it has been in electronics, with a focus in mobile devices. Coming to At&t I thought would be refreshing and invigorating. It was a great place to work in the beginning and the pay was not bad. I quickly figured out that the only way to have any work life balance was to have high seniority; and in my particular store that was just about impossible. Being low seniority requires you to work all nights and weekends, and that is not easy to do when you have a family and children to take care of.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
High stress, no work/life balance
Changing evironment
Systems Technician/Service escalation (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAMarch 7, 2016
AT&T is transitioning from a telecommunications company to an entertainment company. Because of this transition, focus is now on wireless services and not so much on traditional landline services. The future of the company is very exciting. AT&T has always been known for innovation and that has not changed.

I learned a great deal in my years with AT&T. I learned the value of networking with others and how to build a knowledge base beyond the product I worked with. I learned a great deal about broadband connectivity and how to troubleshoot at a customer level and at an AT&T equipment level. I greatly enjoyed working with other technicians.

The most difficult part of the job was not being given a real opportunity to transition into the new technologies.
Pros
Constant innovation. Excellent pay and benefits
Cons
Inside, craft level jobs seem to be leaving CA
Very competitive, you must be able to work alone and be very responsible and on top of your game. Must be available 24 hrs a day, as a System Tech.
System Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 4, 2016
A typical day non stop your are working from the time you get in till
you get off and the OT.
I learn so much and went to numerous school to advance my skills to
be up to the Telecommunication Standards or better.
The manager I had were all good and I had good communication with
them.
Co workers were great and everyone of them were very competitive
and sharp and skillful.
The most enjoyable part was the firs 30 minutes and last 30 minutes
of the work day, the comparative among the crew was full of laughter
fun, you had to have a tough skin.
Pros
Plenty of overtime, bonuses, 401k, good vacation
Cons
Short lunch, Micromanagement, stressful at times
Very high stressed call center for repair calls
Maintenance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAFebruary 22, 2016
I was a very loyal employee for 26 years. Most of the years at Pacific Bell/SBC/AT&T were good years. I loved to work with my peers and had wonderful managers, for the most part. However, with time came a complete turn around of job requirements that became very difficult for most employees to adhere to. Our jobs had to gear towards numbers rather than quality. And as with almost every competitive market, numbers come first. Although I always met my numbers, I had to question what it is that I had to do in order to achieve them. I was originally trained that our customers should be #1 and then realized in todays' world, that was not the case. I enjoyed staying busy and learning many managerial tasks. The part I did not enjoy was getting abused and screamed at by our unhappy customer base who were not being taken care of properly by our company.
Pros
Benefits and Salary
Cons
Unrealistic matrix and goals
Good pay comes with high expectations
National Installation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 13, 2016
This company is not for everyone. You MUST be reliable be there when you are scheduled and on time. You also can't have personal problems or need time off as the motto is "needs of the business".
It has good pay, that has changed over time as the company has shifted to different job titles that present lower pay than what I worked under. They are now working with fewer people and the expectation is that those people have to do the work of at least 3 others. I felt I was not utilized to the best because I was non management and the managers were all afraid if they gave up even a small part of their work to me they would be expendable. Not a good morale for those putting in 50 to 60 hour weeks.
I loved the people I worked with for the most part but feel there has been such a loss of the people aspect of this job and it is now strictly a numbers driven environment.
Pros
great vacation time and benefits
Changing environment
Senior Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMarch 8, 2016
The current culture is shifting rapidly towards future technology as older platforms and services become extinct. Job growth is available in new technology sectors but, legacy employees have limited access due to constant downsizing initiatives. Advanced training in several areas is available at no cost to the employee - must be done on personal time. However, the risk of job loss is very high, especially before transformation of skills or advanced training is complete.
Pros
Training, Healthcare Benefits
Cons
Rapid downsize of skilled workforce
If only they promoted within & acknowledge the harder workers
Provisioning Administrator I (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXFebruary 22, 2016
I was with AT&T for many years. Always on time, always should up, always ranked at the top of my department in production & quality, but after 14 years of employment, when the department become obsolete, none of that matter. I was given a severance and showed the door. I just thought after the loyalty I showed the company, perhaps some of that would have been reciprocated. I was wrong. I did enjoy my time there enough to always be motivated and do my job.
Pros
Pay & Benifits
Cons
Managment had many issues, No acknowledgment from management, Repetitive Work, Work Not Challenging
Productive Account Consulting
Retail Account Consultant (Current Employee) –  Helotes, TXMarch 7, 2016
This company is high energy, and the people running it are very enthusiastic. I have thoroughly enjoyed working here, meeting the clients, solving problems and looking to make everyone's day better than when they arrived. I am sorry to go from the company, however, I am really looking forward to working in an office environment using the skills and knowledge that I have acquired through my education.
Pros
Excellent benefits, employee trips and paid vacations.
Cons
This career is not part of my educational training.
Working like a work horse
Advanced Tech Support, Customer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ashland, KYJanuary 25, 2016
This was the best paying call center job that I have ever have. I was able to get a raise 3 times in a month in the last year.
Health benefits & company discounts for cell phone service & Directv is a plus.
But poor management is center & company wide. For such a world wide company,such a simple task of forecasting call volume & staffing scheduling is so poorly managed. I never felt like I was working for a corporate company. Employees up to the management level don't act very business like. I wish I can say that it's just this center but other workers in other centers are complaining about the same thing.
Forget about advancing to any good position. You may have to wait 10 years to get tenure to get into a management position that you can be secure in.
I've worked in call centers before, but this has the cheapest. It seems like any center appreciation is coming out of their pockets.
Pros
Company Discounts, Pay, Healthcare
Cons
Treated like a number
YP.com / At&t
ADVERTISING & MARKETING SALES EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  CoronaJanuary 14, 2016
This is one of the best companies I have worked for in my working career. The management and atmosphere made it a fun and rewarding job allowed me to help hundreds of clients.

My typical work day was cold calling new prospects and handling and renewing current clients and upselling new programs to increase exposure in the market space their business was in.

I was given lots of hands on sales training to help me build product knowledge to sell our suite of products we offer to new and existing clients.

One of the hardest challenges that we have as print and internet sales professionals is buyers paradigms on product performance and the belief that advertising wasn't needed or they solely relied on referrals.

The best part of the job was being rewarded and recognized for performance by management and my piers.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
none I can think of
Uverse Technician
Telecommunications Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 4, 2016
Very stressful job environment. From the get go they wanted you to be literally running out the door in 15 mins. Management harass everyone to the point of the day you lose your job, you're thankful. If you get injured, forget it. Theyll do whatever necessary to not pay. Numbers game get played hard, management is not there to help, but to fire you. Since we had to drive their trucks, every little incident becomes your fault and you get suspended, even if someone rear ends you while you're stopped at a red light. Pay wasn't so good either, at max $20 something an hour you would grow a head full of white hair. Union is not gonna do much once the chopping block comes to your head, shall I continue?.. good luck.
Pros
Good benefits (do not injure yourself)
Cons
Long hours, worst management ever, corporate culture sucks.