AAA Carolinas Employee Reviews

Tough working environment, poor compensation and horrible work/life balance
Insurance Consultant, Team lead (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMay 2, 2015
This position at the onset was a great move for me and I owe a lot to AAA for the opportunity this job afforded me. AAA Insurance paid for my training, licensing and any fees associated with it. Pay was comparable to previous job but as I come to find out lower than what was offered by other companies doing the same work. Throughout my tenure commission structure and bonus plans changed frequently to the point if at any moment they felt it was benefiting the agent they would revise it.

There is constant pressure to meet high production numbers and prospect "warm leads," AAA members, most of which have never heard of AAA writing auto and home insurance. The company does nothing to drive business to the branches and there is no marketing presence of the brand other than what the other established clubs have done (AAA S Cal, AAA MI, etc) that trickles to the Carolina's (race sponsorship, transferring members/insureds from other clubs). You are expected to maintain relationships with your clients all while pushing them to a service dept that is inept at doing their own job so you in turn spend a majority of time servicing as well.

This company is growing like mad and it creates a feast/famine environment that causes agents to become cutthroat and still business from each other when calls are received. Don't take a comp day or vacation day because you could leave yourself open to a theft of business. Did I mention you get to work Saturday's and on some weeks 6 days straight as taking your comp day for working Saturday is frowned upon if you aren't on pace for goal.

more...
The worst part that pushed me to seek other opportunities was management. There were constant mixed signals sent and though they wanted morale to be kept high with the agents by their managers (team leads) management would constantly go behind you and belittle and beraid your direct reports. You could never be honest and open with your agents as that was frowned upon. Rose colored glasses will be needed at all times. Upper management will never give you a straight answer and will string you along hoping concerns/questions will go away.

It is sad to say but the most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I built with my colleagues who were fighting the good fight in the trenches with me, my office colleagues from the other business lines (travel, carcare), the clients I had long-term established relationships with to the point we would just chat about items other than insurance. Lastly I enjoyed going home and not being there.

I learned a great deal about the industry and owe a lot to AAA but I would never recommend anyone to work within the insurance division.
Pros
Good Start for those with no insurance experience, profit sharing, some good colleagues
Cons
Management, horrible culture, little upward mobility, poor compensation, minimal brand recognition with own member base
upper management is a joke
car care (Former Employee) –  irmoJune 3, 2015
was at this company for 4 years saw atleast 15 managers come and go because of the stress and micromanaging the big wigs cause...i finally learned a great deal due to one manager i finally had that went out of his way to teach me and let me use some machines.

as for the pay i found it to be low and the hours you turn to be lower, not many cars come through the shop some days (meaning less than 5) and most of those are oil change only coupon abusers that are just there to use the oil change coupon and get out.

by far the hardest part of the job was listening to upper management telling there story of whats wrong with the company when i witnessed first hand there is ZERO structure in managment

as for the coworkers the best!!! i met some of my bestfriends here and by far was the most enjoyable thing about this job

examples of stupidity super a tech was hired and put his 2 weeks notice in because he moved...moved back and asked for his job back...hq replyed with we do not rehire!
later a worker showed up to work drunk got fired then was rehired and PROMOTED TO MANAGER

theres just tons of backpedaling and fingerpointing at this job
Pros
workers
Cons
everything else
Overworked-Underpaid
ssp (Current Employee) –  ncApril 10, 2013
As fas as the atmosphere, it is an ok place to work..heat in the winter and air conditioner in the summer. The pay is incredibly low for the amount of work related to this job. The funny thing is they try to convince you that you are working at a great place because they feed you hot dogs every so often. Employees get a $ .25 raise yearly and they find every way possible not to give you the raise(when it is time to get the raise) lol!!
Rules constantly change and there are no clear answers about lots of situations. You can ask one supervisor and get a completly different answer from another supervisor. There is no job security, they pretend that we are one happy family but you can get fired for something very simple and they dont care about the amount of time you have been there.
Schedules are harsh and crazy. Say goodbye to your life, kids, weekends, family reunions, and anything else you like to do!! lls
There are some really nice employees and supervisors there but be very careful what you do because everyone that smile is not not your friend.
Pros
profir sharing
Cons
everything else--pay especially
Creates a Positve Challenge
Travel Consultant (Current Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids, NCJune 10, 2015
Working in an incoming call center that provides emergency roadside assistance is certainly challenging as every call is unique and every member has their own story.
My typical day; not only do I receive road side assistance calls but the team I am on also provides driving directions (both verbal, emailing and ordering printed material), booking hotel reservations, supporting company branded products, filing automobile and home owners insurance claims. The list goes on.
I work with a wonderful team that works well together. Our supervisor is our rock as, she is not there to offer assistance when needed but also gives us positive reinforcement to better ourselves and reach our (company and personal) goals.
The hardest part of the job is trying to stay within the computerized adherence schedule as it does not recognize that one is working on a call.
Pros
Great Benefits, Organized events to keep everyone upbeat, Vacation time
Cons
Scheduling vacation time (although they offer 4 weeks a year to start- awsome)
Suppose to be"a great place to work"
Call Taker (Former Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids NCJanuary 29, 2013
From the start it seemed like a good place to work but once training was over and it was time to go to the floor my opinion about the work environment began to change slowly. My primary trainer was great and so were some of the Asst. Sups. In my opinion if you are not the type of person that can tolerate a number of your superiors sitting on their bottoms half way doing their job and getting an attitude with their workers for asking question this is not a good place to be. Several of my coworkers along with myself refused to ask some of the "supervisors" for assistance based on the type of response they may or may not give. For the work you do there you are severally under paid! Typical call center environment! The only thing great about this place is the fact that there is no dress code.
Pros
relaxed dress code.
Cons
benefits are no good.
Not really a great place to work
Call taker (Former Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids, NCApril 2, 2014
Policies are in place but not enforced the same for everyone. Too much favoritism. You are encouraged to speak your opinion but be careful, if you say anything negative management will keep a close eye on you and look for things to terminate you for. Some employees are allowed to get away with certain things that others cannot. Sexual harrassment gets swept under the rug. Certain managers have been using their position and power to "get a date" with women employees that come to work there. Some of these women end up with promotions. Management expect anyone "under" them to do things they will not do. You will never see a manager working nights and weekends or holidays.It's just overall a very unfair place to work and it's getting worse all the time.
Pros
a paycheck (when it's correct)
Cons
favoritism and brown nosing
A very Productive and fast pace environment, Always changing
Call Manager (Current Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids, NCMarch 30, 2012
A typical day at work is very busy and fasted paced. I have learned how to provide excellent customer service in a timely manner, and to make sure the member's are overall totally satisfied with the service. Management is very different in the departments, there are some that care and you can tell and some that act like it and you can tell and see it on their faces. They are co-workers that work just as hard as I do and some that just come for a pay check. The hardest part of the job is staying busy all day. I enjoy helping people on an everyday basis and having that feeling when I leave that I helped someone today and that made a difference.
Pros
over 100 hours of pto, and yearly bonus
Cons
having to work on weekdends and second shift.
Worse insurance job I've had in my seventeen years of insurance experience
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCSeptember 8, 2014
I have three words. . . micromanagement, micromanagement, micromanagement. I was an agent with this company for three years. The rules constantly change, they create an environment that fosters too much competition amoung co-workers leading to hostility, they expect working many more hours than the pay justifies, there were reports required constantly which documented almost every single activity of your day, they monitor phone calls for what they call "training purposes", but use that as a reason for dismissal and I was lied to by management on several occasions including deception and broken agreements.
benefits
Cons
micromanagement, massive employee turnover, frequent dismissals
Travel Agent, Level III (Current Employee) –  MatthewsApril 21, 2013
A typical day at work would be to research and qualify clients to the best travel itinerary.

I have learned to manage other co-workers, obtain knowledge on other countries, and even our own, USA.

My co-workers make the day go by amazingly. Laughter is always important, however we work together to get the job done.

The hardest part of the job is making sure your clients are happy and everything goes right, all while making sure the price is low.

The most enjoyable part of the job is coming up with itineraries based on a clients needs and wants and they come back to you because they trust you will guarantee a memorable vacation.
stay away from this company
customer service (Former Employee) –  charlotte, ncApril 18, 2013
This company is a prejudice company that discriminates against older employers. They make promises they don't keep and no matter how you work and go above and beyond, if you are older, they do not want you and will find a way to get rid of you. Benefits end at midnight the day they lay you off and they don't offer a dime of assistance to help continue your coverage. They tell you to contact them if you need anything and then ignore you like you are dead to them. Horrible management team in Charlotte. I would do without before I would consider working for them again.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
everything
AAA Carolinas
Travel Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 26, 2012
Assisting clients/customers with travel arrangement or other AAA services. Arranging flight, car rentals, and hotel arrangement for clients. Working with several travel vendors to obtain the best travel plans for clients. Co-workers overall worked well with each other. The hardest part of the job was working in the office along with car care in same office. The office was noisy and difficult for clients and employees to have privacy for discussion. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients have a memorable vacation.
benefits
Cons
working environment
Crazy place to work !
Call Taker (Former Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids ncAugust 8, 2012
This place is ran by immature managers, and supervisors. They constanly discriminate against older dark skinned women. The supervisors constanly target people and then harrass them and have council sessions, and write you up for every mistake you make and will lie and back stabb to anyone that does not meet their personal standards.This company has no intergrity.On top of it all they provide poor service to their members.
Pros
when your 10 hour shift is over you can go home and forget about all the foolishness their.
Cons
they degrade you constanly!
AAA Huntersville, NC
Service (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCNovember 14, 2013
Worked for AAA - Huntersville management is extremely deceptive. You are expected to work more hours than you are paid for, do duties that are not what you are hired for. In order to get anywhere in this company you must a brownnoser. At AAA Huntersville its best if you are white considering they do not hire minorities and have none on staff. Management uses sexual statements around employees. Nor does management have your back you are always wrong. If you work here keep count on the knives in your back. Place is loaded with snitches.
Cons
everything
Decent place to work
Road Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids NCDecember 1, 2012
A typical day at AAA can be a bit hectic but overall you'll learn the value of helping people in need. Management is okay and my co-workers were what kept my day going great. Hardest part of the job is not being able to help a customer because something with their policy may not be covered. Yes there are sometimes one time deals we can make but not all the time. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you helped make a member's day much better than it was before.
Pros
friends i made
Cons
very harsh verbal abuse
Amazing job with various advancement opportunities
Membership Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids, NCJuly 16, 2014
I believe this is the ideal job for many people. Great management that treats their employees like family. Co-workers were determined and energetic! The hardest part of the job is deciding what department to move up to. Everything about this job was enjoyable, especially being able to provide my own experiences to customers to help in their decision on becoming a member of the company.
Pros
advancement opportunities, great pay, healthcare
Great Place to Work
Auditor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke Rapids, NCDecember 5, 2014
A typical day at AAA will be described as laid back. I have learned how to handle irate members and how to help someone over the phone. During my time at AAA, we lost a lot of management and some of the positions are still open. My coworkers and I always work as a time to make sure the member gets the quick and efficent service. The hardest part of AAA will be dealing with irate members and truck drivers. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping someone who is in need of my services.
Pros
1 hr lunch
Cons
10 min breaks
excellent company/products but limited compensation
Agency Owner (Former Employee) –  Asheville NCMay 15, 2015
I really enjoyed working for AAA Carolinas as an Insurance Agent. They had great companies to write for as well as The Members Insurance Company. However, the compensation was very lacking. Having run an insurance agency previously, it was hard to not have vesting in your own book of business. I will say that if you are a newbie to the business, then AAA is a great place to earn while you learn.
Pros
Nice office/ good products
Cons
Pay.
No Future
Customer Resolutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 19, 2013
Worked at AAA Carolinas for two years in the Insurance Dept. We had the lowest abandonment rate around 3% ever and no one still was satisfied. They hired a manager to help merge two companies, she came in micro-managing. Terrible environment, no minorities have any significant positions in the company. They will never grow because of the management.
Pros
membership discount
Cons
no future for advancement, no minorites have an significant positions
Good Entry Level Job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 13, 2015
AAA Carolinas is a great place to work. But just be prepared to work and come into the job with a mindset that you will do one call at a time and go home at the end of your shift. Don't get to caught up in the politics and don't get upset if you do more of one kind of call than the other.

This job does not qualify as full time anymore so be prepared to work only 30 hours a week.
Pros
Working Independently, Good Benefits
Cons
NO Scheduled Breaks, Poor Management
Very good culture to work for
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 5, 2015
A typical day at work was overseeing 12 stores in the eastern region of NC. Involved in new store constructions, inventory management, day to day operations, interaction with customers, team building.

The most enjoyable part of the day was working with my teams and building the company from 4 stores to 32 stores.
Pros
learning all aspects of all the business sides of aaa.
Cons
changes in upper management.