AAA Employee Reviews in United States

Like a Family
Call Taker (Former Employee) –  Southern New EnglandJuly 28, 2016
Good place to work, providing road service to AAA members. Most appreciate the help, although some are rude and others very frightened especially in the winter. Hourly pay is average but benefits are good and part-timers can get them too. You can work overtime and also earn bonuses. Free membership. Attendance is most important, it's easier to get raises if you arrive on time! Many long-term people so it can be like a family and that includes drama sometimes. Fun activities like cookouts, also pot-lucks that workers organize. Takes a long time to learn many policies and it's not always clear when there can be exceptions. Unless you're a manager, no full weekends off. Many temps hired for busy seasons so there's a lot of inexperienced people.
Pros
OT, bonuses, regular reviews, great co-workers. Feel appreciated.
Cons
Working weekends, relying on temps, exceptions inconsistent
Good place to work with many job opportunities
Emergency Roadside Assistant-Field Representative (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJuly 24, 2016
This is a good place to work. Good benefits, good advancement opportunities if you want to relocate, lots of hands on experience, good co-workers. The hardest part is the buy in from the aaa service providers. The most enjoyable is the people you meet and the travel.
Poor training, compensation, no appreciation
Travel Agent (Former Employee) –  PAJuly 24, 2016
Learned early that management was poor. No real training despite pointing this out to manger and at performance review. Many long time employees that are primadonnas or who quit after 2016 merger with another AAA branch. No wage increase (cost of living) or other. Unreasonable bonus policy. Performance review system is awful, unrealistic and not well thought out. Despite job description, AAA only cares about the number of credit cad approvals you get and memberships sold, upgraded and put on auto pay with their (preferably AAA) credit cad. Don't get sick! If you aren't hospitalized you'd better make it to work. Long time staff do the work of manager day to day with no compensation and are unpleasant and disgruntled (which I understand. Who wants to do all the work with no pay?). The new merger in 2016 put systems back to the 80's. Much more paperwork, clunky, ineffective computer systems, more workload w/o compensation but yet the same demands to get work done in unrealistic timeframes.

I felt bad for AAA members. It's an aging population and management could care less. They want young new members but are being advised with out of touch consultants who do not understand the impact of social media or new technologies. I loved some coworkers, others we're back biting and pretentious to staff and members.

If you're young and want some experience, go and stay for a year then move on. AAA in its present form is a dying breed ran by those without a realistic vision for the future.
Pros
You set your day plans but need to anticipate road blocks, Get some experience to advance to a new career path.
Cons
Poor compensation, expensive health plan only available for F/T workers, Performance review system is biased and unfair. No real training, Management only cares about themselves.
Feel like you're a robot
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXJuly 24, 2016
There is no room for you to be yourself on the phone. You have to read the same script 80-120 times a day. The management is unprofessional and cares less about customer service and more about you just getting through each call quickly. There is no room for advancement. If you are absent 6 times in a year, you are terminated. They do not accept hospital or doctor notes. For that reason, everyone gets sick constantly. The desks are not assigned, so the germs are spread. The desks are not cleaned routinely and sometimes you will find ants crawling around on them. If you care more about making money and are willing to be miserable in the process, then this is the job for you. Otherwise, find something else.
Pros
competitive pay
Cons
short lunches, punished if calls run into your break times, terrible management
professional and dependable company
Vacation Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAJuly 19, 2016
All three offices that I worked in were exceptional in all areas. Team players for the betterment of the members and the organization.
Fast paced
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Putnam, CTJuly 19, 2016
If you don't do what is required of you and you don't move fast enough, then you'll get fired from this job. With this job, if you do get hired here, you will gain experience in all of the cleaning equipment and you will be able to spend a little bit of time with the patients as well.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Not enough time for breaks
Moving And Storage
Packer (Former Employee) –  Kodiak, AKJuly 18, 2016
This job consisted of being able to pack household goods into a box properly for long/short distance travel. And be able to get to the destination safely.
Horrible company to work for...
CALL AGENT (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHJuly 11, 2016
Be on time for EVERYTHING or else you will loose your job & get DENIED unemployment benefits...I was considered an "On-Call" employee, even thou I had a set schedule...The supervisors at the location I worked for, didn't even follow the handbook on attendance, they made up their own rules/policies & fed you a printed paper of lies, saying you were 1-2 minutes late coming back from breaks & etc, which is dumb...they play favoritism & there's no set schedule for training... you'll be in training forever until somebody finally "FEEL" like they want to train you....I worked here for 1 year....too long if you ask me...worst company I've ever worked for....& the Supervisors for the call center I worked at, were lazy & would rather put off doing something then to take care of it right away...they take MORE cigarette breaks then anything...the upper management don't even have to clock in & out for breaks, like the other employees do, they can take them whenever, which I think is unfair, everybody who work for AAA should be on the same page with breaks, instead of being on a time limit/schedule...& if you have to "call off" for medical reasons, don't even get a Drs. excuse, it will not work, it will only go against you, which is insane being that a Drs. excuse is an legitimate excuse on being absent OR late for work, what job doesn't except that??? - AAA that is......BAD company to work for...especially the Call Center part...& the customers who call in for Emergency road service, 80% of them are rude & disrespectful!!!! - Just like their upper management....
Pros
Free lunches, Bonuses, Decent Pay
Cons
Management, Training, Breaks/Times, Diversity Issues
Productive and Fun
Valet Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 11, 2016
Working in valet has been very fun and productive with a lot of moving around. It has enhanced my customer service skills as well.
No manager on site
Motor Club Counselor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 7, 2016
There is no manager on site here, and too many employees who make their own rules and come and go as they please. I strive to do my job in excellence and it makes it extremely difficult when others around me lack integrity and won't work as a team player.
Really Great Work Environment
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 7, 2016
A typical day at work is fast paced from the moment you walk in the door until the time you leave. When your a part of this company you feel like your part of a family. You share experiences with your peers and the management staff as well as learn from them.

Everyday is a challenge. You deal with difficult people and situations very regularly, the up side to that is you learn from them and when you do the right thing for the customer as well as the company you feel an overwhelming sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Outstanding work environment
Cons
Not enough room for growth
decent
Cooper (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 5, 2016
At one point this was the LTL company to work for. They lost a large account and laid off several people including myself. You would made great money at the time. You get all the hour's you want even if you don't. If you call out or schedule a day off. You'll regret it later on they make sure of that. Your home life will suffer because you won't be home.
Pros
Good money
Cons
No home time, they work you like a machine.
Company is behind the times
Sr Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJune 30, 2016
If you're looking to work for a company that cares about its employees, AAA is not where you want to work. This company provides the bare minimum in benefits and compensation. In my particular building, there are roughly 5000 employees. There are no refrigerators for employee use. You are forced to bring something unhealthy, go out for lunch every day, or use the cafeteria (which is ridiculously overpriced). You cannot just go to HR with questions at random. You have to find out which employee handles the particular need you have a question about. Then you're bounced around from person to person until you finally (maybe) find the person you're looking for. Forget being able to have any issues with your paycheck explained to you properly. They all speak in corporate jargon and if you're not privy to the jargon for that department, you'll never understand why your paycheck is short. They force you to have an employee membership (even if you're already a member). It's a "gift" membership. They tax you on it every year, only the amount they tax you is the same as the amount you would pay for the membership. And, it comes directly out of your check. Management does not care about its employees outside of working hours. On a daily basis, there are either issues with the staff or issues with management or issues with the building itself or issues with the technology. In 2016, we are still operating on Microsoft Office 2010 with little to no hope for moving into 2016 anytime soon. Likely, we'll move to 2013 before that. There are NO employee events outside of company hours that are  more... company sponsored and getting coworkers to participate in something they have to pay for is impossible. Morale is very low in every department. And, it's really hard to find work outside of AAA once you've been sucked in. There are people working here who have worked here for 60 years (literally) and still won't retire. Almost everyone in my building is a "lifer." Raises are non-existent or very minimal and are based upon whether or not your department meets its goals, yet the company does nothing to foster team building. So if you have one lazy coworker, your entire department is screwed on raises. The company sets goals for each department that are completely unrealistic. And, when the goals aren't met, the goals are set higher for the next year.  less
Pros
Decent pay to start
Cons
Expensive benefits, low morale, no room for upward movement if you don't have a degree, ancient technology, little to no raise every year, goals are unrealistic
best place I ever worked
Manager, Road Service Communications (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, FLJune 26, 2016
AAA is a very unusual employer. The company is not-for-profit and has no stockholders, so it operates like a government entity but is technically an association of auto clubs. It's very conservative,slow to react but cash rich. A lot of the top management are well meaning but ill equipped. National Office work environment is outstanding but AAA independent clubs vary. Compensation is good for this day and age. Benefits are good too. Better pay and benefits come with tenure. Be prepared to continue education if you want to advance and don't talk out of school. A lot of people that come from outside companies find AAA's culture a difficult adjustment. Overall, I enjoyed my years there and recommend it highly.
Pros
Culture, pay, benefits, good work vs. leisure time balance
Cons
slow career advancement, retirement plan, poor managers
Unprofessional place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Heathrow, FLJune 25, 2016
I think this is a very unprofessional place to work. They will hire just anyone I was in training with people that came to work high and swear like they are in a bar and not in a place of business.
Pros
Its a job, weekly pay
Cons
Schedule, Ultimate is not honest and upfront
Productive and Exciting Workplace with a great sense of Independency
Battery Technician (Former Employee) –  Halethorpe, MDJune 22, 2016
A typical day at work really entailed greeting customers who were in need of vehicular assistance. Whether it was a battery charge or battery replacement motorists were unhappy, so I would have to change their negative experience into a positive experience. I learned that all types of people go through the same circumstances and no matter who they are every one deserves a great experience. I also learned that excellent customer service is really hard to get. Management at AAA was terrific, there was never a time where I needed some help or advice and did not receive it. My co- workers were just as great always willing to help or advise when needed. The hardest part of my job was depending on the vehicle changing tires. The most enjoyable part of my job was the feeling of accomplishment after helping my members get back on the road.
Pros
AAA service for myself and family members
Cons
inclement weather
Was a new call center
Customer service Representative/ Dispatch Operator (Former Employee) –  Coppell, TXJune 17, 2016
It was a great company . I would recommend anyone that's looking for a fast growing company to apply there. From that staff to the members , you would enjoy it.
Great Job Security
Operations Administrator (Current Employee) –  Tidewater, VAJune 15, 2016
10+ years employee, moved up within the company. Ability to transfer nationwide. Great benefits including health, dental, vision, 401k, and pension plan!
Lots of over time
Emergency Roadside Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 14, 2016
The most enjoyable part about my job was my co-workers. My supervisors were also really helpful and would also spend a lot of one on one time with us.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Technical problems
Just go to get some experience
Travel Agent (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 12, 2016
I can't speak to other departments, but for working in an office, just get some experience and then get out. For travel, there's zero work/life balance and upper management clearly have no idea what they're doing. The whole department will go under in a few years based on current practices.