AAFES Employee Reviews in United States

Love to work with this company
Starbucks Barista (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJuly 20, 2016
I love working with this company , the supervisor very good with the employee , the coworker and the team lead helping each other , the have very good benefit .
Pros
discount lunch
Cons
15 mins breack
Good place to work. Co workers are the best team.
Inventory Control Associate (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2016
Co- workers are the best in the business. This company serves those who are or have served in the military. We proudly give back to the military bases we serve on.
Most enjoyable Part of the Job
24hr Express Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKJuly 10, 2016
Was great meeting new people and assisting customers. Being able to work in a positive atmosphere with simple to follow steps and guidelines for all employees. Management could have been more organized.
Productive and Friendly
Food Service worker (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 7, 2016
I enjoyed working for Aafes because the opportunities are endless. I learned how to work in many restaurants even though I was only assigned to one specific restaurant. The management was always very nice and understanding with scheduling. My coworkers were very nice. The hardest part of my job was accepting the hour cuts due to our store not making enough money. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to learn how management runs as well as the other stores.
Night Stocker
Night Stocker /Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJuly 6, 2016
A Hot boring day at work in the warehouse
What I learned is how to stock and unload trailers and do paperwork
Management is not good at all
Co-workers some of them I get along with
Stocking and lifting for 8 hours
Is when I'm getting off of work going home
Customer Service at its finest
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Carson, COJune 30, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was to help and meet soldiers and retirees, with either their gas (fuel) or help them find items in the store. The managers that were there at the time I was, were fabulous, we had a great team.
Pros
meeting soldiers, past and present
Cons
no benefits
Productive fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 28, 2016
My day would consist of food handling, and demonstrating customer service. Fun workplace with friendly employees. I learned how to thrive in a fast paced environment.
Pros
Advancement, safe environment
work
Army& air force food and retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Irwin, CAJune 28, 2016
Every day is a new challenge but its up to the person to either fix it or to go with it. I usually fix the problem right away. I like a happy environment.
productivity
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 18, 2016
Typical day at work is assisting customers and stocking merchandise. I've learned that it is best to focus on your job and not what others have to say about you. Co-workers there aren't exactly the best but you learn to get over that and keep it professional to get the job done. The hardest part about the job is keeping a lot of customers happy when some things are out of your control. the most enjoyable part is serving customers and keeping them happy.
Being able to serve those who serve us
HRIS Data Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 16, 2016
Great organizational mission
Challenging work.
Great co-workers
Diversity of work
Changing Environment
Working with IT
Coordination with both internal and external customers
Rewarding
Security and Systems administration
Customers make the world go round
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Scott AFB, ILJune 12, 2016
I serve my customers on a daily basis. I learned that you can try to please everyone but that is not always the case.You just try your best and keep going.. I get along well will my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is not being able to please every customer. The most enjoyable part of my job is my customers.
Pros
Serving the world's best customers
Cons
all breaks not guaranteed.
Nice work inviroment, great co workers
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 11, 2016
Nice place to work with experienced personal and Supervisors/ Managers, I've been working for this company for rmore then 15 years all together, this company has rehired me basically every location I moved , military related, which made it easier for me to find a job without looking for other companies and I felt more comfortable knowing the company
Pros
Great workplce, expierienced staff, helpfull HR personal
Cons
Not enough work hours
Military
customer services representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 10, 2016
Working for AAFES I got to meet people from other places. I enjoy helping the service members that came in the story right from the plane
Pros
helping service members
Cons
short workm hours
You have to work there yourself.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Eglin AFB, FLJune 7, 2016
I don't have to much to say because it might be different now, but it was ok for the time being. Some of my coworkers was awesome, the leadership wasn't on point when you needed them.
Nice and friendy place to work.
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 7, 2016
Nice and friendly customers, the management is very friendly and always willing to help, I enjoy working with military personal' they are very respectful and kind. Ihave the opportunity to lear new skills.
Cons
no healthcare, and very low salary.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2016
Most days were busy and fast paced other were very slow with not many customers. I worked very late hours which was the hardest part when the weather was bad .But overall it was an experience for me .
Pros
close to home
Cons
rude customers
Always enjoyed work
Cashier/Customer Service/Floor Associates (Former Employee) –  Schofield Barracks, HIMay 29, 2016
This is a military exchange that was located on Schofield. I started out as a cashier and advancing to customer service, then changing jobs to a floor position requiring stocking of merchandise, assisting customers with questions/merchandise, helping with reordering as well as setting up sales floor for weekly sales.
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
n/a
Great Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nellis AFB, NV 89191May 26, 2016
Well respected within the company, although assistant manager took on duties as manager everyday. Ran the entire store without supervision. Clerical, ordering, labeling for inventory purposes, training, placing orders for the store, scheduling when vendors dropped off loads, excellent phone etiquette, great customer service. Received an award from the general manager of the company personally for outstanding customer service skills.
Pros
Fast-Paced environment, great exercise
Cons
Short breaks
I love how they support military families
Team Member (Former Employee) –  JBER, AKMay 23, 2016
They helped me so much while my husband was in the military and we shared one car. I was even late a few times but they understood my husband's work schedule.
Pros
job fluidity
Cons
No free lunch
Needs significant change espcially in management and employee concerns
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCMay 20, 2016
Like anyone, I was very excited when I first got the job as a foo service worker. The food court manager was friendly and he really cared about the progression of the business and my coworkers, His first day was also my first day so it was pretty cool. After he left, however, things seemed to take a turn for the worst. No one seems to care that certain employees are over worked, and those same over worked individuals are given a hard time when it comes to getting paid for hours already worked. Several of the employees' checks (including my own) have been shorted by managers in order to save their skins. According to what we are told my managers: "AFFES doesn't do overtime". This isn't true because it is illegal, however, some managers get away with it anyway if you are not paying attention. Apparently, the GM is the only one who can approve overtime and it must be requested first. But this helps no one when the food court is slam packed with customers and your facility is short on man power because someone failed to show up for their shift. This rule seems so heavily enforced that our own managers are willing to steal the hours you worked hard for in order to make it look like they did everything right. Meanwhile, employees continue to work hard and settle for whatever they get in order to keep their jobs and tend to their responsibilities at home.

I was getting 35 hours a week for a period in time because I was the only person who could fulfill running the facility while both managers were absent over a course of 3 weeks. Often times I had to stay late resulting in me going
  more... over 40 hours for the week. instead of receiving time and a half, I was persuaded into settling for Sunday pay plus night time pay (which still only reached up to half of what i should have received). Considering the fact that I left school in order to maintain my job, I expected a bit more effort into treating me fairly. This brings me to my last point.

This position advertises itself on being flexible with students. this has to be the worst lie AAFES has ever told. I could not even maintain being in school half time and working without my managers hounding me for not giving the, enough of my time. AAFES isn't all terrible, but the only ones who seem to back you 110% is Human Resources. But who wants to spend half their time running back and forth to them after being mistreated over and over? I've gotten lengthy here, but If you are a student or young person looking for your first job, do not work for AAFES.I would use AAFES as a stepping stone to greater opportunities elsewhere, but not within the company. AAFES seems to do their best to hold you down where you are no mater how much you have contributed with little to no chances of climbing the ladder.
Pros
start out above minimum wage, lunch is half off, service our troops and their families
Cons
short breaks, short shifts, short checks, low marale, unimportant

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AAFES. Our community is ready to answer.