aai corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Avoid at all cost – worst technical company in the US.
CONUS Technical support (Former Employee) –  CONUSFebruary 2, 2013
If you think the salary is great it is because they have such a hard time with people.
Great salary – but….
Extremely high insurance rates.,and other charges bring it way down – by several hundred each pay period!!.
Very poor management in technical staffing areas - risky - not like a normal simulator shop or company.
HR complaints are taken then ignored and HR chain of command will only cover company concerns.You will be documented.
This can be seen with other unrelated reviews.
AAI splits HR with Textron – Textron works all issues very well – yet AAI side is extremely poor.
Avoid at all cost – worst technical company in the US.
Join at your own risk.
Pros
great pay
Cons
poor health care, extremly expensive rates, poor technical support, poor hr.
A very progressive company yet very caring for it employees.
Field Service Engineer System Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Riley, KSJanuary 15, 2014
We worked with members of the Army UAV community. We trained maintainers and UAV operators. We as FSR's are assigned to each individual Army units.
To be assigned to Army unit we had to attend and pass a three month UAV training period. The training is on going process in order to maintain current with updates an/or upgrades.
All FSR's are considered as working partners whether we work at the same location or not. Constant communication within the community was kept via company email system.
The most difficult part of the job was the lack of work space for repairs and parts storage to maintain the customer equipment.
The part that I enjoyed the most of my employment with AAI is working closely with my co-workers and helping the customer acheive superior results in all operation involving UAV operations in the states and overseas.
Pros
aai provided company uniforms and benefits.
Cons
the one thing that i would consider improvements would be more consistent pay increases.
Not the same company
Sr. Electrical Test Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDJune 17, 2012
After being discharged from the army as a disabled veteran I went to work for AAI for 7 years before they decided to do cut backs and lay off over 200 employees. As an employee I worked in several different departments and even traveled overseas for a period of 18 months. When I returned from overseas the company didn't have room for me and wanted to continue to make employees travel and miss their families. After 6 months of traveling CONUS I found a job and 6 months later was laid off with the masses. This company use to be family oriented and care about their employees but now could care less about everyone and they have terrible benefits (ex: $6,000 deductible for health insurance). The managers only care about themselves and will pass the blame to anyone in order to look better to their bosses. The entire company has declined since Textron Industries took over several years back. The company will force you to work overtime by making you a salary employee and then making a portion of your yearly review based on how many weeks out of the year you worked overtime. This overtime is not compensated and if you don't do it then you don't get yearly pay raises.
Pros
i enjoyed my job and felt like i was making a difference in the defense market
Cons
everything else.
Enjoyable Team
Ogden UT (Current Employee) –  Mechanical EngineerNovember 6, 2011
Absolutely love this company, my supervisors are always there to assist and teach and they put well enough faith and respects in me that it always makes me step to another level even when im unprepared. This makes it that much easier to aim and drive for success. Working hard's never been so much fun nor fulling in self pride
Pros
respect, tuition reimbursement, great benefits
Cons
some company procedures but thats anywhere
This was my very first job as an engineer.
Hardware Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDOctober 4, 2015
This place hold something special as it was my first job out of school. Talking to older employees it was a better place to work before Textron took over. I had no problems while it was Textron.
Pros
Great Tech
Cons
Defense job high risk of layoffs.
Contract
UAS Publications Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDSeptember 14, 2014
I was a contractor for L3 so I cannot accurately speak to the culture of the company. From what I saw, the people were fair and the compensation was higher than average.
Great benefits and work culture
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDJanuary 21, 2014
AAI has a very relaxed work culture with opportunity to work on very interesting projects. Benefits and compensation are very competitive.
Great place to work!
Flight Crew (Former Employee) –  Dugway, UTMarch 13, 2012
Constantly growing, great benefits, alot of room for advancement, and really nice to travel with the company because they put you in really nice hotels, nice rental cars, and great per diem.
Average Compensation with insecure job security.
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDMarch 9, 2012
AAI is a friendly workplace, however, there is room for improvement in management and compensation.
Dedicated, resourceful employee
Supervisor of the offset printing area (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDJanuary 19, 2014
My entire career has been in the printing industry. I have managed an inplant reproduction facility with an annual budget of +$700/K.
My current duties include the management of a corporate vehicle fleet, forktrucks and golf carts. Insuring all drivers are DOT compliant, Vehicle DOT inspected and maintenance level maintained.
Pros
progressive working enviroment
Cons
weekend work schedule

Want to know more about aai corporation?

Ask a question
Review summary at AAI
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCJuly 17, 2012
Work at AAI in Summerville, SC entailed developing the software for aircraft maintenance trainers for the C17 aircraft. These training systems allowed aircraft maintenance personnel to correctly detect and diagnose a variety of aircraft faults that could occur in the life of the plane.

While there, I found management and all technical personnel extremely competent and very helpful in all aspects of the work. Our technical reviews allowed feedback from other engineers to be heard before detailed design eventually allowed for the generation of software to be done. This process is very important in order for the requirements to be implemented without a lot of re-work.

I found the development schedule to be much more realistic than many other companies I worked for which is a definite plus for morale.
Pros
very competent management and good workforce
Cons
didn't really see any cons worth mentioning

Comment – November 24, 2012

Your positive comment on AAI must be just your observation because you have been living under a rock! AAI is in disaray, and the management is even worse, on top of that, they make it a practice to eat their own. If you think this is a personal observation, read all of the other comments and you can come to your own conclusion. STAY AWAY from the AERSONDE program!!! It is a lost cause and you will find yourself unemployed in no time.

Company in disaray
custodian (Former Employee) –  huntvalley, mdNovember 5, 2012
This job is ok, as soon as they switched over to textron AAI fired alot of experience people and hired a lot of new people that do not know what there are doing. This caused the polcies and rules to change there for upsetting the company
Pros
good vacation and sick day time off
Cons
management is in disaray.
Respectful
Project Administrator/Publication Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDFebruary 23, 2015
I loved working at AAI Corporation. I was there for almost 34 years, Met alot of friends and very reliable and intelligent people. I received alot of experience in my years at the company.
Pros
they gave me 33 plus years
Cons
when it was aai it was great, then textron bought us and they seem to want thier own people brought in.
Very professional workplace withe Work/Life Balance
Aerotek Contract Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDFebruary 4, 2013
AAI Corporation was a very nice place to work. It is a structured workplace with very polite and dedicated staff. It's critical that their product be sound and safe. It's a very conscientious staff.

My day consisted of recruiting for positions in the Hunt Valley office and in offices in South Carolina and Virginia. I used both traditional and creative sourcing methods; I quickly learned ITAR Regulations and Clearance designations. I also learned two recruiting software programs quickly.

I hadn't worked in a government or defense environment, previously. Learning about this industry was both the most difficult part of the job and the most exciting because of the security factor.

The onsite manager has offered to be a reference based on the job I did for him.
Pros
independent work environment
Cons
job ended
Avoid AAI. Bad company.
Software (Former Employee) –  MarylandMay 16, 2012
Worked for them on a contract for 10 months. The s/w they wrote performed poorly, and no wonder- the boss constantly came late and left early and played a lot of office politics. I did some digging and learned that in the years AAI was the prime contractor, no engineer aside from the boss had stayed on board longer than about 14 months. The other non-super and myself both left in less than a year. The HR lady for the group at hdqtrs also bailed out. The group had a bad smell, if you know what I mean.
Rewarding Career for New Contractors
Field Service Representative (Current Employee) –  OverseasFebruary 5, 2015
AAI Corporation, a division of Textron Systems is a very rewarding company to work for. They are a great company to get your foot in the door of the contracting world!
Great place to work.
Inventory Manager (Current Employee) –  Hunt Valley, MDDecember 12, 2013
Daily responsibilities include management of the Army depot and service center. This includes the stocking and pulling of parts as well as the deliveries for incoming and outgoing material. Some other responsibilities including the shipping and receipt of material, and cycle counting.
Pros
type of business and value provided to the customers.
Cons
none to report.
na
Electrical Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCMarch 4, 2015
Work with multiple cable types and GFE. The build and integrate platforms to support the military in the unmanned systems effort
Wonderful working atmosphere.
Senior Word Processor (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MarylandJanuary 3, 2012
This company was everything I wanted from a large company but unfortunately, it was during the period of time when down-sizing was a reality across the country, and they were regularly laying off dozens of employees every Friday. After a year and a half I decided to leave before my department suffered from downsizing. They've since been bought by another company, the Textron Company.
Pros
employee friendly, flexible with the needs of their employees
Cons
out grew their bank accounts.
miserable company!
Former Aerosonde Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ft. PickettNovember 24, 2012
avoid AAI and their Aerosonde program! Miserable management who is completely lost and the program has no future, just ask their customer if they are going to renew the contract if you don't believe me.
Cons
everything! management and stability of the contract, avoid!!!!!