AAR Corp. Employee Reviews in United States

Experience people stay away
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 24, 2016
If you can deal with the culture of the aviation field, and also can deal with not being paid what other companies pay for their people. Then this is place for you. But if you just got you A/P and need the experience under your belt then AAR is the place to start out at.
Director-Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Garden City, New YorkJune 17, 2016
I enjoyed my 23 years at AAR's Garden City facility.Opportunities for job growth and advancement were very good. After leaving the Navy I started at AAR as a Tech 1 (lowest rating) and left as a Director. Held many positions in differing disciplines. I was also abut 25% travel at one point when there. I only left because I was head hunted away for a better salary with a company in the same industry that was much closer to home and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
Pros
Opportunities for advancment
5 guys and I got lay off on the second day of training
Sheet Metal Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLMay 24, 2016
Went to training for 2 days and same day on the afternoon received a call telling us no to show up tomorrow and that everyone's it's been cancelled sorry for any inconvenience
Cons
Don't hire people if u going to lay them off after 2 days of training
Not a bad place to get a start
AIRCRAFT MECHANIC (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 8, 2016
Lots of good eperience on comercial aircraft. Great people to work with who can teach you alot. plenty of time off with vacation floating holidays and such.
Pros
decent pay to start
Cons
healthcare, managment
Good work environment. Not a reliable job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCFebruary 9, 2016
Worked for company for 4 years, good work environment. But constant layoffs. About every year to 18 months first a hiring freeze so good temp employees can't be brought on, then the lay off. Hire ups will lie to their own managers and tell them they have nothing to worry about. Then when the anouncment is made surprise. Even with perfect attendance, no abuse of sick time, no right ups, they have no loyalty to anyone. I would never return unless under contract.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No loyalty to employees
enjoyed my job
Shelter Tech: (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCJanuary 20, 2016
Going to work knowing that before i got off work i be drowned with all the water i used. But enjoyed my job and my manager and coworkers. Hardest part of the job was push them Military builds in the 400 degree oven,But got help with it. People ther would help you anyway they could. enjoyed been on the first Aid Responder team. Did alot of overtime . worked sometime 7 days a week.Closed down the side i was on got Layoff.
Supervisiors would bring donuts every Friday morning before work.
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJanuary 6, 2016
Help to socialized with fellow works. And talk about the work that had to done and what was need to accomplished our task.
Avoid if possible
Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Wood Dale, ILDecember 19, 2015
This company does not value it's employees and pays much less that what is competitive in the industry. I would not suggest to anyone to work here.
Very bad MRO
QUALITY CONTROL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 20, 2015
Not a quality aircraft maint facility, upper management just wants to push A/C out at any means. Very argumentative environment.
Great work atmosphere with great benefits
manufacturer (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 12, 2015
After 4 years i was laid off. Was a great company to work for but the ability to advance was non existent. Alot of rules that were strictly enforced to the floor but ignored by the management.
benefits
Cons
no advancement
Best experience I ever had
Avionics Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 10, 2015
I loved the navy. Not much else to say. It's not for everyone but it gave me everything I still use today. It equipped me with the skills I currently still use today. And while in active duty you can go to school full time.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Not traveling
productive and a good work place
Shelter Tech. (Current Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCNovember 5, 2015
There are some of the best coworkers at AAR. We all work together to get the job done in a safe way. We all have different task. to do each day and learn from each other. .Projects that come in are all challenging ,but with the team work we have we get the job done.
Pros
heath care and 401 plan
Cons
no cold water
Fun
Assist Powerplant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 3, 2015
Always a great day to come to work and learn new things dealing with airplanes.also great people there to help you learn and grow with the company.
Great to mentor young apprentice
Hanger Heavy Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 30, 2015
AAR receives many interns from George T. Baker Aviations School and it is a great opportunity to be able to mentor the young men that will soon follow in our footsteps.
Aar
Technician I A and P (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 24, 2015
AAR is a great place to work. especially if you are just starting a career in aviation. AAR have a great Atmosphere of people with good attitudes
Working in the Defense systems and logistics department
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Travis AFB, CASeptember 18, 2015
My current job with AAR Corp has had its ups and down, but overall it has been a great job for me. I started this job at the age of 19 and it has done great at providing for myself and my family over the last 6 years, but sadly the department I work in has a very low ceiling and you cap out really early. We are contracting with the SCA so are wages do not increase based off of our performance. They are only increased with the SCA rate increases which doesn't happen very often. I have received and experienced many great things from this job, but it is time to move on to bigger and better challenges.
Pros
you get to travel
Cons
you never recieve an increase in pay
S 91 crew chief in Afghanistan
Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Wood Dale, ILSeptember 16, 2015
We worked long days in extreme heat flying troops and supplies to remote field bases all over the country. I was based out of camp Leatherneck in the middle of the dessert,but we still flew every day
Pros
excellent pay
Cons
real hot weather
Good place if someone wants to advance and move up in the company.
Sheet Metal Lead (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LASeptember 7, 2015
AAR Corp is a growing company that needs good workers. The company has the potential to be one of the most successful MRO's in the world with the right employees. Management can stand to make better decisions but the workforce is the key.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low skill level of employees.
Love the company hate the lay off
AMS (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 4, 2015
Amazing company to work for if you need a job to get your foot in the door. But due to high layoffs and no benefits if you are a contractor, its best if you find another job after a few years of experience.
Pros
Managment, great people, overtime
Cons
all stated above
New furniture, paint, walls, cafeteria and flooring. The things worth changing remain the same
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Wood Dale, ILAugust 30, 2015
This company has had one of the highest turnover rates I have seen in a long time. Some of its best and brightest employees have quickly departed for greener and friendlier pastures. At least two dozen or more employees across multiple departments have left within the past year.

Persistent problems exist like lack of training. Hiring people due to nepotism and not because they may be the best person for a job. Then when their inexperience shines through people have to make way to train them across the departments they affect so everyone's jobs will not be adversely affected. You are expected to train people outside your department and do it with a smile or else you'll end up with a bad yearly review.

When people quit, they are again replaced with hopeful determined new hires. Then these people yet again have to be trained and again ineffectively by their superiors.

Meanwhile senior management tries to improve efficiency by trying change processes instead of focusing on training people. They fix the walls with new paint, get new furniture and landscaping while some employees are still trying to learn how to look up information on the computer.

The new office layout is ripe with distractions because everything is within eyesight and people easily overhear people's conversations or people who simply walk by. They got rid of cubicle walls so as you try to concentrate more on your tasks at hand (or if you are not training another new hire) you can become uncomfortable.

Just because you put a pretty bow and lipstick on a pig does not mean you'd still want to kiss
  more... it. After 10 years of service here you get four weeks of vacation. Sounds good? Then pucker up.  less
Pros
Newly painted walls, new offices, new cafeteria, new employees (which means they are hiring)
Cons
Lack of training, senior management out of touch with persistent rolling problems

2.9