Aarons

1.1K reviews

Aarons Employee Reviews

Found 1,112 reviews matching the search
Great customer care and staff training
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 23, 2015
I worked in the fleet department which was a smaller department. As an administrative assistant in this company there was no room for me to grow or advance. My store consisted of me and my manager. I had an amazing manager. I was taught all about customer care and the fleet services. I also learned how a company works together and communicates through different departments. The company was going through some changes so it was very stressful and disorganized. There was a lot of internal issues at the corporate level. Many people felt that they were given too heavy a work load and quit. Within my department we lost around at least 5 employees in a four month time period. The hardest part of the job was making sure everyone got the necessary paperwork and filled it out correctly. The best part of the job was talking to customers and working with my boss.
Pros
Benefits, no uniform, relaxed environment
Cons
Corporate Department Heads, pressures, time management
Cool On The Road Job with Heavy Lifting
Product Technician (Delivery Driver), (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXAugust 27, 2013
A typical day starts with looking at your delivery schedule to see what will be delivered that day. Next you move any furniture in the show room that's being delivered to the back of the warehouse while replacing the merchandise you just moved with new or used items. and then go about loading the items being delivered onto the truck. Now starts the fun part delivering and setting up merchandise. You will deliver refrigerators, living room sets, bedroom sets and my least favorite of all front load washers and dryers. Other parts of the job will be picking up returned merchandise and cleaning it (get ready to get your hands dirty) and doing minor repairs. This job has its benefits; it's not a difficult job and most of the time you'll be on the road so the day goes by faster. If your quick on your feet, a hard work, and like the open road. This is the job for you.
Pros
on the road most of the time, day goes by fast.
Cons
heavy lifting, carrying a fridge 3 flights of stairs!
Run don't walk away from this company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Amsterdam. NyMarch 19, 2013
I was a gm for 5 years before I couldn't take anymore, upper management would tell me not to hire woman for certain position which. I had a problem with, upper management would constantly threaten your job almost daily, the CEO and CFO do NoT care turned my boss in to upper management and they threatened me because they were afraid of a lawsuit , absolute worst company to work for they do NOT care about you they only care about using you up and when there done your gone if anything other than a customer service rep or delivery driver you will have No life, a d if you become a manager you will have. No personal life period this company is disgusting. Oh and you are expected to work 55 to 60 unless u don't have an assistant manager if that's the case you will be working 70 hours this is a fact !! Anyone stating different is lying. Again stay away if you know what's good for you.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything, upper management, horrible work hours, upper management disrespectful
Productive work enviroment that allowed me to to gain experience in Customer Service.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Terrall TXDecember 23, 2013
A typical day at Aarons consisted of answering phone, filing, typing leases, rearranging furniture to take advantage of space, phone sales, in-store sales, and setting up deliveries. I learned a lot about customer service- finding out what the person is looking for and helping them obtain it, and I learned a lot about sales- pushing sales in-store and over the phone. Management at Aarons was great; they constantly gave you more information and kept you trained on product knowledge to help with sales. My co-workers were supportive and worked well as a team. The hardest part about the job was trying to get someone to lease furniture rather than just buying it (Leasing brought in more revenue). The most enjoyable part of this job was getting to know the customers and the achievement of making the sale.
Pros
my work schedule worked well with my home life.
Cons
helping locate those that were behind on payments
Relatively easy work. Box truck is great experience for beginners. Easy sales experience if you dedicate yourself.
Product Technician (Current Employee) –  Sandersville, GA 31082February 11, 2016
"Good benefits and decent hours its nice to have Sundays off and holidays not to mention after 6 months you get a week of vacation" However fussy customers can cause stress. Sometimes sales goals are unfair for delivery drivers. (personal thought) Internal management poorly picked!

Product Technician is a misleading job title. You aren't so much a PT as a delivery boy. If you area computer geek and plan to fix computers, then you will be disappointed. PT is where you do deliveries, fix appliances, and various other things. Don't come into this job weak and expect to last. Some of those couches get heavy. Management sets non reachable goals.
Pros
Being a product Technician is one job that you will learn something new everyday, you learn how to deal with all kinds of people.
Cons
Work days are long and weekends are required. Manufacturers and sells very poor quality furniture.
Fast Paced and Great Learning Experience
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAMay 14, 2014
Working for Aaron's was always something different everyday. You never saw the same problem day in and day out. I learned a lot about managing a sales team and what customers expect out of people. Most of the people I worked with were fantastic and the others not so much. Team work can be hard for people to understand if you don't have the right team behind you. All in all it was a very enjoyable job that I loved very much but the company itself needs some revamping and updated pay scales.The hardest part of my job was having to move stores and get use to a whole new crew after I have gotten the store I was in into the exact shape and routine I wanted it. The easiest part was helping the customers find exactly what they needed/ wanted and getting it to them.
Pros
laid back environment, mostly great co workers, fast paced, customer interaction
Cons
low pay scale, employee movement, manager turn over, horrible team work, no recognition for the work you do
horrible working conditions,horrible management
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Neosho, MONovember 20, 2012
if you are looking to get worked to the bone, and pulled in 10 different directions at once, and then yelled at for not completing tasks, this is for you. decent pay 50 hr work weeks. This is high stress, you have outrageous sales goals to meet in a declining market, and incredible amounts of outside marketing to be done on a daily basis. there is poor structure and anyone is replacable at any time for any reason, highest turnover rate ive ever seen. everyone hates their job. you come in a 8am and are told to make a daily to do list, then that list is basically ignored and whatever upper management sees on reports as a problem must be done. please, find another career- unless you like feeling like going home at 8-9 pm and not knowing if you will be employeed the next day or wondering if you even want to go to work.
Pros
none.... other than hopefully not working here ever again.
Cons
none-customers are rude and selfish, and so is upper management.
Don't believe the hype
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHSeptember 12, 2013
I worked for this company for almost 2 years...I worked under two different Customer Account Managers, one with no pride for their work and another who advanced by treating customers terribly. I also worked under 3 Sales Managers, one who got himself fired by stealing merchandise, another who was beyond lazy and another who treated his employees pretty badly. While I had a lot of respect for the General Manager, I got paid a horrible salary, got cussed out everyday by customers, moved heavy furniture and appliances by myself up flights of stairs, and even got guns pulled on me and threatened at the store. Still with all that I was nowhere near a promotion even though I only missed 3 days the entire time. Hard work gets no rewards here...If your goal is to move up in the company, only come in as a CAM or Sales Manager. Because as an MT or Customer Service Rep, you're nothing more than a slave.
Pros
learn alot of skills
Cons
low wage, politics, no benefits or rewards
Very Stressful With Not Enough Pay
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 10, 2013
Im a Customer Service Rep at Aarons and with my position I do a bit of every position within the store. The GM relies heavy on a CSR so in other words Im a personal assistant. The job is extremely stressful not because of the customers but because of the unnecessary pressures of management within the company. Calling every hour to find out how many sales have been made, how many priors and overs have been collected on etc. It would all be worth it if they paid you for everything that you do within the store. Honestly the only upside to working for this company is that they are the only rent to own company that doesnt rip people off so it feels good working for a company with moral obligation to customers. The customers are generally happy with product and price but Ive been doing this for 3 years and it hasnt gotten any better. Need better management and better pay.
Pros
great prices for customers
Cons
terrible pay
Not what I would like to build my career on.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Culpeper, VAApril 29, 2014
My typical day of work is simple and not entirely what I could see myself doing for the rest of my life. I have learned how to progress in my sales and received the experience of working in a office environment. The management is not horrible but there are a few things that could be changed and handled differently. I enjoy most of the staff and get along with the majority of all the employees. The hardest part of the job is when business is slow or when I cannot use or excel with the skills I have. I am a very active person so I do not like not being able to constantly do something and as I said before It is far from the field that I want to progress in. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping my customers and ensuring they are getting outstanding customers service as well as getting exactly what they need.
Pros
hour breaks, health care
Cons
slow business, not getting commission if certain standards aren't met
Fun place to work if managed correctly
MT/PT1/PT2/PT3 (Former Employee) –  Manchester TNOctober 3, 2014
Get your own load together, deliver by yourself if needed by schedule usually 5-9 stops from five minutes to one hour from the store,clean merchandise and organize warehouse,unload trucks, stock showroom, load customers, take out trash,make phone calls for non-payments,visit non-payments, return lots of merchandise, repair nonrepairable merchandise, keep trucks cleaned, help with customers if available too,do paperwork,communicate issues with management.In the same day. They have no respect for hard workers.Inexperienced management.Co-workers are gone.The hardest part is taking a 275 pound sofa up three flights of stairs in a 120 degree narrow stairway physically.Mentally dealing with bad decisions handed down to you to deal with.The most enjoyable part was outside of the store giving excellent delivery service to all customers and helping people.
Pros
meeting people traveling around
Cons
poor management
Enjoyed helping people obtain ownership of merchandice
Product Technician (Former Employee) –  Quincy, FLOctober 29, 2012
Very professional enviroment everyone had there responsibilities required of each position as far as my position as a product technician on a daily basis it was important staying busy whether quality assuring merchandise there was responsibility to maintain the sales from so everything is very nice and organized. Job duties were listed on the morning bored for all of the daily activities. With recent experience in this field customer service is very important having a customer committed to owning the merchandise is very important and building relationship's an making someone feel like you were very close to them. The team at Aarons were very professional and everyone was held accountable for there position. The job was very simple having that experience and being a people person made the experience enjoyable for me!
Pros
seeing the customer happy and smile
Cons
no cons
Some days were easy while others sucked
Product tech (Former Employee) –  OklahomaMarch 23, 2014
Job itself isn't too hard. Worse part is when some customer's homes are either roach infested or just smell like complete poo. Some customers were super nice and appreciative while others hated you. What made me hate the job was my general manager. If a problem came up he would throw you under the bus in a heart beat to make himself look good. He would tell the customer they were getting a new product and it would be roach infested so I would have to clean it out to make it look new again which I didn't like doing because instead of selling it used he sold it as band new. All in all I was payed 9 bucks an hour to deliver stuff. It's easy but challenging too. Especially if you have a terrible and stupid manager. For the job I did as a product tech the pay is terrible.
Pros
driving a lot to customer's homes. sometimes driving in total of about 250 miles a day.
Cons
pay sucks, incentives are unattainable, blamed for everything that goes wrong
no teamwork at all
product tech (Former Employee) –  woodbridge vaMay 23, 2013
everything they tell you is a lie job advancement is a joke they hire people they know to fill the management spots if you start as a pt and you want to move up they will drop your pay to move you up. they have no respect for the ones that do the real work for the company. the pts have no incentives to better themselves. they work the hardest and get paid the least amount of money. they take away what you have already earned if you quit because they are cheap and dont want to spend the money they should be giveing to the people that earned it. this is a billion dollar a year company and they pay like nothing. this company is the worst ive ever worked for and ive had some harder jobs. i would rather work at a dollar store just because they treat me better. i worked for aarons for 4 years and and only made it up to 11 an hour. then they wonder why we get all mad off with them doing all the hard work and not getting our worth.
Pros
nothing at all
Cons
all above
Fun work place and strong company Culture
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 4, 2012
Responsible to drive area sales and profit plans to budget through successful leadership, organizational plans, customer service, and understanding execution of all field operations strategies, consistently across all stores.
Responsible to manage all stores consistently towards acceptable customer service scores, feedback, and conversion results.
Ensure that each store associate is trained and compliant with all basic inventory practices with receiving, restocking, transfers, and managing inventory discrepancies.
Develop, and execute action plans for increased market share and profitability.
Analyzed P&L data for development programs to select those with greatest financial viability.
Train and supervise staff members in areas of procedures, client relations and system operations
Pros
sundays off
Cons
long work days, 10-15 hrs and dont pay any overtime for time work
the worst company in America to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, NYNovember 22, 2014
Ghetto company.
leasing rather than sales.
You have to collect on the field from all the garbage of society.
Having to deal mostly with the people from the ghetto.
You have to pick up the merchandise if they don't pay you.
You have to lift heavy sofas even if there is no elevator either to bring it down from the forth floor or up from a basement even if the merchandise has roaches and bed bugs.
Most of the managers came to work for this company from nowhere and they have no idea about store management.
They don't allow you to wear athletic shoes even though you do the workers job as well. They want you to work overtime beyond the 50 hours per week that you are supposed to work sometimes reaching the 70 hours per week.
There is no appreciation.
As you can imagine there is a certain danger going to people's houses to ask either for money or merchandise because you never know who will open the door.
Pros
none.
Cons
everything
Take this job only if you're desperate
Manager trainee (Former Employee) –  Suffolk, VAApril 30, 2015
There is nothing beneficial about working for Aaron's other than a paycheck, which will be far less than what you deserve. For a company that overcharges customers for merchandise (by at least 100% more than other retailers), they don't spread the wealth at all. Your entire day is literally spent at work, so if you have a family, good luck. 13 hr shifts 4-5 times a week is definitely not worth the sacrifice. Not to mention that this is basically predatory lending where stores are usually located in low income neighborhoods. As a manager trainee or customer accounts manager, all you do is make collection calls. Your job is to get customers to pay their bills, and your job performance is solely based on that. How your job performance can be based on people paying for stuff they couldn't afford in the first place is beyond me.
Pros
Weekly paycheck
Cons
Everything else, including mental health and well-being
Decent gig but not a permanent job
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Chickasha, OKJanuary 18, 2016
A typical day at work involved making sales calls, collecting customer payments, dealing with customer issues over the phone, cleaning the sales floor and furniture, and resolving customer complaints. There was also a fair share of helping with set up of displays on the floor. Moving furniture was a definite and sometimes you help stage merchandise and set up as well. I learned that most people have bad attitudes, but some people are honest and easy going. Management could use some work, but for the most part they are considerate and helpful. My co-workers were knowledgeable and fun to be around most times. The hardest part of the job is the multitasking about customer complaints and dealing with idiots. The most enjoyable part of the job is attaining your sales bonuses and watching movies in your down time.
Pros
bonus potential and decent pay
Cons
management could be better.
Great programs and training, Great mission statement and values
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Owosso, MIAugust 21, 2013
Aarons is a great indoor atmosphere centered around the customer and offers a good incentive package for the employees. They have a rock solid program and a great training program with online college style classes you get paid to take. The best part of the job there is being able to offer customers excellent customer service and beat competitors prices by large margins. Unfortunately the management does not often follow the company guidelines and there seems to be no upper management correction to the situation. The management pay is great but the gap from management to store associates is embarrassing. The hardest part of the job is fighting with employees about running company programs that are not being run properly with no support from management.
Pros
great benifits, easy management style environment
Cons
weak management, weak pay structure
Productive workplace
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Batesville, MSFebruary 7, 2013
A typical day at Aarons would start off with many phone calls to customers that are past due on their accounts. Phone calls are made to get the customers to make a payment over the phone, or get a strong promise from the customer on what day they are able to make a payment. Throughout the day we take in store payments, and make sales to new customers. I also may make deliveries out in the field. Each day I'm still learning more about the company and trying to become comfortable with the job. My co-workers are like a family, we make the day a lot smoother for each other. We deal with different personalities within the customers, so we have to keep each other spirit lifted. There is nothing that I have faced yet that has been hard about the job. As I stated, we all (co-workers) keep each other going and don't mind lending a helping hand to each other.
Pros
insurance, understanding general manager
Cons
balance of time schedule