AARP

AARP Employer Reviews

Training Program for Senior Citizens
General Office (Current Employee), Spartanburg, SCJuly 16, 2014
Pros: last act of a desperate man
Cons: you work for non profits who are not hiring.
I am not happy at all with this particular program but I do what I have to do to survive. Why aren't employers hiring? So many Americans are out of work right now. It is truly very, very sad and disgraceful.
not a true job
Employment Specialist / IT (Current Employee), Florissant MOJuly 3, 2014
A good start back into the work force in Florissant MO, but it's part time with no benefits of unemployment available
I enjoyed my 8 yrs with AARP
Payroll Analyst, AARP Grants Accounting (Former Employee), Washington, DCJune 13, 2014
Cons: outscorcing of my department
The typical day at work was very interesting because, it was all about helping clients receive the paychecks in a timely manner,The most enjoyable part of working at AARP is the excellent work/life balance. They allow you to have a flexible schedule so that you can take care of your family, while still putting 110% effort into your work.
fulfilling and enriching.
INTERNSHIP (Current Employee), elm st, hartford ctJune 3, 2014
As a senior citizens it is a gratifying and exciting occassion being a advocate for seniors so as to maintain independence as an older american.
Love working here
Communications Assistant (Current Employee), St. PetersburgMay 25, 2014
There is no typical day at AARP. I work on multiple projects and one time and it changes every day.
Great Place to Work
SENIOR MAIL OPERATIONS EQUIPMENT ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Lakewood, COMay 21, 2014
Pros: benefits are great, people are great, what else can one say!
Cons: not sure there was any.
I am fortunate to have worked at AARP for 25 years plus. The people make you feel like you are family and that you are thought of well. there are busy days and slow days. Mail comes in around 4:30am and that's when it all starts, the eagle and opex machines start up being filled by a staff members, the work kick out by the machines are then given to – more... mail openers and other mail opened by machine. The open information is fed to computer so that numerous keyers key the informaton holding membership names, address, membership numbers, amounts of the checks, money and so on.
The checks are banked, and balanced. Checks are then picked up by the bank and we start over for another day. There is more such as corrections, trying to read indecipherable checks and members information. I have learned skills, respect, and I can do more everyday. Management is great, cares, respects and sometimes rewards for doing a great job. Even the Management in Washington DC takes time to learn your name and tell you that you have done a great job when visting Lakewood, CA. The hardest part of the job is catching up with the eagle and opex machines, and also the slower days. The best days are when there is work, and everything goes without a giltch. Co-workers are friendly and caring. – less
Not enough pay/ overall good place to work
Northside Community Housing Inc. /AARP (Current Employee), 4067 Lincoln Ave. 63113May 19, 2014
Pros: i order the lunches for the board meetings!
Cons: all pros
Working with the president is enjoyable, because I can sit in on the board meetings and have some input.Talking with Father Hutchinson , the founder of NCHI, and other board members. Talking and answering questions with clients in person as well on the telephone. Helping with over all office activities
employees
Clerical Worker, Cat Socializer, Cat Depot (Current Employee), Sarasota, FLMay 14, 2014
Employee knowledgable and friendly.
Helpfull in helping us to help ourselves.
Productive and fun workplace.
SQL Server DBA (Former Employee), Rockville, MDMay 7, 2014
Learned new things and the co-workers are so cool and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting new projects and teamwork processes, and performance outcomes.
i been waiting for them to call me ,i worked for them last year and need work again !
STOCKER/TAGGER (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVApril 15, 2014
Pros: no free anything
Cons: no health insurance
it was good while working,great hours,great place to work for.but now i need work again!
A fun place where people are willing and encouraged to help someone less knowledgeable.
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 11, 2014
A typical day is answering phones, making copies, faxing, & applying for online jobs, have clients sign in & contact appropriate person.

Someone is very gracious in helping me learn Microsoft Word and introduce me to Excel.

Co-workers are very friendly and helpful.

I do not view this job as hard.

The most enjoyable part of the job is coming to work – more... to learn something new – less
Volunteer
(Volunteer Tax Pro), Faith Senior Center (Former Employee), Summerville, SCMarch 28, 2014
Pros: great working environment
Cons: far away.
I enjoy working with AARP due to I enjoy taxes. The folks that come in really need this done and I am giving back. The coworker are really nice and we all have a good time with this.
very friendly.nice break room.
File Clerk (Current Employee), Vincennes, INMarch 24, 2014
file participants files.how everything works on a daily basis.co workers are friendly and very helpfull.making sure every paper gets filed in right place.the friendly atmosphere.
Productive and fun work place with friendly employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Oklahoma CityMarch 16, 2014
Working for this company was a pleasure. Some of the superior were a little over whelming but besides that overall this is a great company..
Fun place to meet new poeple
Clerk Typist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 12, 2014
Pros: free lunches, work on own
Cons: not a permanent position, paid minimum wage
assigned to a medical company where diverse skills are used
AARP
Intern (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLMarch 11, 2014
I produced a radio talk show for AARP in Tallahassee, FL. It was supposed to bring more awareness to the African-American community.
Avoid AARP.
IT employee (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 10, 2014
I have worked for 7 large corporations (For Profit and Non-Profit both) over the past 30 years. AARP is the most disappointing organization during my career. Their culture inhibits interaction between business units, which in turn filters down to distrust between individuals. AARP's treatment of their employees is as antiqued as their business model. – more... My advice to potential candidates is to keep looking and by-pass AARP. – less
JOB TRAINING PROGRAM
Receptionist (Current Employee), Merrillville, INMarch 5, 2014
Pros: clean and safe working environment
Cons: not enough work space for the number employees there
THIS IS A JOB TRAINING PROGRAM WHICH HAS ALLOWED ME TO ENHANCE MY ALREADY ACQUIRED SKILLS AS WORKING AS A RECEPTIONIST ALONG WITH OTHER TRANSFERABLE SKILLS. I RUN THE FRONT OFFICE WITH JOB DUTIES SUCH AS ANSWERING THE TELEPHONE, DIRECTING CALLS TO THE APPROPRIATE DEPARTMENT. MANAGING THE WAITING ROOM AREA AS TO SENDING CLEINTS TO THE APPROPRIATE DEPARTMENTS, – more... KEEP LOGS, ASSISTANT CLIENTS WITH FILING OUT APPROPRIATE FORMS, FILING, ASSIST PROJECT MANAGER WITH SPECIAL PROJECTS. I WORK WITH SEVEN OTHER CO-WORKERS. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS WORKING IN AN AREA THAT IS NOT LARGE ENOUGH FOR THE NUMBERS OF WORKERS. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART IS THAT I ENJOY MEETING , INTERACTING AND BEING OFASSISTANCE TO OTHERS. – less
Excellent Work/Life Balance
Project Manager, Financial Security (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 2, 2014

I also loved working with members of my team. They're very supportive, intelligent, fun, great people to work with.
Data Center
Tape/Computer Operator (Former Employee), LakewoodFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: no benefits
From October 2006 - Febuary 2010 I was a Data Center Consultant for AARP under the Placement Stratgies Agency. Pitney Bowes took over the Operation department and hired me in.

1 2 3 4 5