Abbott House Employee Reviews

Great Agency!
Waiver Service Provider (foster care) (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 17, 2017
On a typical day, I visit my client at their home and work on different skills. I have learned over the years the importance of patience and not making assumptions.
Consistant and routine in day to day expectations in a residential facillity.
Housekeeper, maintenance, cook (Former Employee) –  Mitchell, SDDecember 5, 2016
Very stable and reliable occupation working in an adolescent group home, early day scheduling and steady active positions in both housekeeping and cooking departments. This is a physically and mature career field. 12 hour days in kitchen make a rewarding evening. Preparing balanced and nutritional meals for all residents and also providing daily snacks all in a sterile and positive dining atmosphere. Eight hour days housekeeping and maintaning facility grounds inside and out doors. Daily cleaning and dusting of classes and main areas of housing areas. Occasional repair or modification in residents personal rooms and restroom areas. As well as monthly cleaning and upkeep.
Good Place to work with
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, ILDecember 2, 2016
Good place to work with good residents and staffs. With 106 bed capacity and with a lot of friendly residents that make your life more easier. Smooth sailing work....Great for a start...
Instability at it's best
Therapeutic Foster Care Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 2, 2016
Working at Abbott House will be an unforgettable experience for anyone tasked with trying to stabilize the constantly fluctuating work environment and hectic work schedule. The lack of managerial support combined with the high turnover rate make it extremely challenging even for the most benevolent worker who want to make a difference for the families they are working with. Overtime pay not being offered is a major impediment to workers expected to sacrifice up to additional 25 to 30 hours per work week to meet the dwarfing demands of the job.
Pros
valuable experience
Cons
lack of stability, upward mobility, or adequate compensation
Productive and fun work environment with a collaborative approach
Teaching Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mitchell, SDOctober 23, 2016
I provided premier services to adolescent girls and their families as a teaching counselor. I was hands on with teaching the clients daily living skills and coping techniques. Cooperation among co-workers were a vital part in achieving success with developing our clients into responsible and healthy people. The hardest part of the job was accepting the lows, along with the highs, as clients are unfortunately in some of the hardest times in their life. Being able to look past mistakes, and work towards success in the futures, was the most difficult. The most enjoyable part of working at the Abbott House is seeing the growth from the time they arrive, by the time they leave.
Provided residential and day programming to individuals with intellectual disabilities.
BEHAVIOR INTERVENTION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Irvington, NYOctober 17, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the growth in individuals. It was a great experience watching them tackle their obstacles and being able to express themselves and increase their independence.
Catty
Healh Care Integrator (Former Employee) –  Irvington, NYJuly 18, 2016
This just might be the worst place I have ever worked. Very unprofessional people. You could do well here if you are part of the clique and love drama. Aside from that, they stress the salary and that there is no overtime. Then they make you stay late for trainings and you don't get paid anything extra. They change "therapists" (that's what they think they are) often which is detrimental to children in the foster care system who have histories of attachment and abandonment issues.
Pros
Cons
No overtime
A Real Nightmare! Run!Run!Run! Don't Work Here!!
Case Planner (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 11, 2016
Abbott House is a dreadful workplace with favoritism all around. The Program Director and Assistant Program Director seemed to be related and as a result many things fell through the cracks. The Assistant Director had no clue how to string sentences together properly and she seemed jealous and punitive towards those who could. The supervisory and case planning staff functioned with constant stress. Staff would quit or were fired routinely. Whenever you heard that someone was not allowed to do visits and had to remain in the office and complete notes, you knew that person would be fired in a matter of days! The salary was inadequate and the hours were long. Many of the foster parents, especially for therapeutic foster care, seemed to want the money but not the foster children. The children ended up suffering from neglect and deep emotional issues with the caseworkers being used as the scapegoats. By the time you got to work, got run through the ringer, did court, home, school, mental health, drug treatment and other visits you were of no use to your family. This was just a depressing, dreadful, dangerous job on many, many levels.
Pros
Cons
Awful Assistant Program Director whose grammar was poor, yet she was responsible for reviewing workers' notes, Very low pay, Long hours involving court, home/school visits, Had to escort clients to the hospital and stay there with them for hours, Some work days lasted a total of 14 days on the job, Inability to use comp time because notes were due, Long-term stress that carries over into your personal life.
Progressive environment to work well with families and co-workers as a team
Waiver Service Provider (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 16, 2016
I admire working well with families who have children with severe emotional disturbances, developmental delays or medically fragile.
Pros
Helping chldren become better with daily living skills
Cons
Help families who are resistant to understand the positive teachings of B2H
Very poor communication and professionalism
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irvington, NYApril 15, 2016
Very poor communication and professionalism. I was not treated with respect. There is no support from the supervisor, due to lack of organization a lot of time is wasted on double and tripple work.
Pros
The parking is good
Cons
No organization
You will have mixed feelings working here
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Irvington, NYMarch 30, 2016
I work a night shift so i don't really have a life, the house i work in they say it is the worst house in the agency but i don't think my girls are that bad there pretty mellow they have there days don't get me wrong you will get hit spit on etc... but that comes with the territory working at a place like this. Management is iffy cause they don't really supply you with everything you need at times and when certain things go wrong due to there lack of ability to provide or come through it falls down on staff but they are pretty easy to speak to, my co workers are all different but everyone has there own style of working so its difficult when you first start working here cause everyone tells you something different, but once you get the hang of things you develop your own style of doing certain things. I don't really have an enjoyable part of work cause I do not interact with my girls because i work a night shift, But i feel for me the hardest part is giving meds cause i just started and i tend to get nervous.
Pros
overtime is giving often
Cons
you dont get any breaks
A rewarding, fun, and friendly place to clean and organize
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJFebruary 18, 2016
The most rewarding part of this job is the tenants. There friendly, funny and a great group of woman. I honestly look forward to going into work there.
Very hard position for not the right reasons
Social work b2h (Former Employee) –  Irvington, nyFebruary 18, 2016
This is a very stressful environment. The clients we serve are great, but the support from management is missing. We have high caseloads. We are then forced to attend trainings that are not required for the job. If we cannot meet requirements, seen as required by management you are seen as not able to do the position.
There is a lot of paperwork. The high caseload, that exceeds what was told in the job description, it is hard to complete, but are told it is the job. There is no flex time.
Pros
Clients are great, love my co-workers
Cons
Very stressful, not supportive management, caseload size keeps increasing
supervisor
B2H/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  grandconcourse bronxNovember 11, 2015
This is the reason why Abbott house can't keep the employees, the coast of living is very expensive and we are underpaid. This is insane and very frustrated. They demand to do the work is too stressful and the treatment for the employees is unfair. They don't validate the employees and we feel unappreciated it.

Thanks
Pros
work work and work
Cons
no breaks, no consideration, no appreciation, to many unprofessional people
Nice Company
Health Care Integrator (Current Employee) –  Irvington, NYOctober 13, 2015
Nice company working towards a great cause for the individuals and families in the community. Encouraging staff to work with.
Great place with passionate people.
Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Irvington, New YorkSeptember 9, 2015
Started at Abbott House as an unpaid intern. First desk job in the real world and the experience couldn't be any better. Great community of people working here towards a great cause.

As an intern in the finance department, I became the jack of all trades. Assisting payroll, accounts payable, internal auditor, and hands on projects with the Finance director and CFO. We were understaffed at the time so I had the opportunity to get more hands on with everyone and established a friendly relationship with all my co-workers.

They offered me flexible hours to accommodate for my school schedule and never hesitated to offer me more hours when I was available.
Pros
Small friendly group, internal workshops and events, flexibility as intern
Cons
Can be stressful at month-year end closes, limited desk space
horrible and stressful
Foster Care Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 3, 2015
Notice there aren't many Bronx location case planners giving reviews, please allow me to enlighten. This was a highly stressful, emotionally draining , unrealistic expectations, non supportive place to work. The supervisor would mess up and place the blame on the case planner. The relationship between coworkers were so so. You Were an outcast if you were newly hired. I'm so glad I left. My child was hospitalized and I informed the worse supervisor ever as I stood frightened in the ER and she had the audacity to tell me to complete court reports and send it to her via Android phone!! MY advice would be to respectfully stand up for your rights, and document everything. Again the best decision for my health, sanity, and family was to resign from this agency.
Pros
personal time
Cons
terrible supervising staff wear and tear on my car
A life changing Experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYMay 20, 2015
Great company to work for, I spend a significant amount of time with Abbott house,so I learn a lot about its corporate culture and history and that motivated me when new staffers come in, they look up to me as a resource to share my deep knowledge with them, help them navigate through the company.
Pros
You can move up in salary more quickly.
Cons
You have an edge over external candidates.
I have thoroughly enjoyed providing consultant training and mental health services to Abbott House.
Consultant Mental Health Therapist and Trainer (Current Employee) –  Irvington, NYMarch 26, 2015
The Therapeutic Foster Boarding Home programs at Abbott House are run and staffed by passionate, dedicated professionals who are focused on improving the lives of children and families. They are strong advocates and insightful social workers. It has been a pleasure to work with them.
Interesting place to work for.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 12, 2015
Pleasant workplace and pleasant coworkers and management. Everyday is a learning experience. Everyone is willing to help each other. No question goes unanswered.
Pros
Great working environment.
Cons
salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Abbott House. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8