Abbott Laboratories Employee Reviews

Company with a long history struggling in the present
Snr Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Waukegan, ILJuly 13, 2014
I have been with this company for many years and though you get interesting and sometimes enjoyable work to do, career growth is limited in general. Grade promotion came with a job change to another division. There are people who have been in the same role and same grade level for a decade or more. Basically, little to no emphasis on career growth or people development. Management are generally good at managing the work but not really with people skills/development. The career growth path is not clear for many positions. Those who progress up typically have connections or play the political game very well or hop from division to division. Very few progress on meritocracy. Those who are frustrated with no growth after many years either bury it in silence just to have a constant. predictable paycheck or leave.
Co-workers are fairly competent. Minorities in leadership positions are very rare so the facade of a diverse workforce only extends to the lower grade workers and even the representation at that level looks relatively low for a company headquartered in the general Chicago area.
There is a lot of demand on one's time and the stress can be immense. However, it is possible to learn a lot if you push the boundaries of your day-to-day role. The hardest thing now is the environment - the general feeling of instability. Lay-offs are becoming the order of the day and the degrading job security, compared to prior years, is resulting in a tense somewhat fearful atmosphere. The former impression that it is a company that values its people is fading also given how people are being let
  more... go.
It is a company with a good and long history which has done things in a specific way for many years and thus any change is not easily embraced. Questioning the status quo could be career limiting. If one is a shaker, you have to tread carefully. Very hierarchical environment and politically charged. Management is generally not accessible though of course variations may exist from from individual to individual. Job culture is very risk averse and conservative.
Overall a company with a successful history, with some really good people trying to do their jobs well to keep it successful for the future.
Pros
benefits/salary
Cons
risk averse, low career growth, low job security, unclear value system
A great company with a history of success.
Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAJune 15, 2014
After 12 years with Solvay Pharmaceuticals, we were acquired by Abbott Labs in 2010. Most companies would immediately lay off most of the acquired sales force, but Abbott did not. Everyone at Solvay had been resigned to the fact that we would be let go. Instead, Abbott had seen our sales success over the years and decided to keep us on to continue marketing our products. We returned their faith in us by turning AndroGel into a 1 billion dollar product. I will forever be grateful to Abbott and AbbVie pharmaceuticals for allowing me to continue my career. If the market situation were different, I would choose to be a loyal AbbVie sales representative for years to come. Unfortunately, we have all been on a year to year basis due to the constant changes in the marketplace. I would like to stay in the healthcare industry and the future is with companies like Dignity Health.
A typical day is planning my calls the day before. Knowing where I'm going and what my message or goal is for each individual physician. I communicate weekly with my territory partner to review physician data in order to game plan what our next move should be.
Top level management has done a great job of keeping us up to date on changes in the marketplace and in providing sales incentives to reach budget goals. I have been very lucky in that I have had excellent District Managers over the years who treat us like professionals and give us the freedom to run our territories while keeping an eye on the companies goals.
Other than becoming more tech friendly, there have been few parts of this job that are difficult.
  more... Pharmaceutical sales are so natural for me, it has never seemed like a job. But I take great pride in my career.
Every day that I can go out and interact with everyone in an office, from the receptionist to the physician, it's an enjoyable day. I remind myself every day how lucky I have been to have this job for as long as I have.
Pros
building relationships, trust, confidence, respect, excellent pay and benefits, company car with gas card, personal growth, excellent training.
Cons
uncertain future, constant rumors of buyouts or layoffs.
An Amazing workplace with high standard of Quality and Compliance
Quality Control Inspector/Quality Tester (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAJanuary 29, 2014
Working for Abbott Vascular, a global leader in cardiac and vascular care, for almost 7 years has been very rewarding in terms of the knowledge and experience I gained as a Quality Control Inspector/Laboratory Technician. Working for a company whose mission is to save lives through developing promising products to improve quality of life, has instilled in me its core values in terms of setting high standards of ethics and compliance and delivering excellence in my job performance.
I come to work each day with enthusiasm and a commitment to make a difference on other peoples lives by delivering accurate testing results. I may not be able to accomplish what I had accomplished then had it not been for the support of management and engineers who have been very supportive in terms of providing me with the tools/materials and training; and best of all, co-workers who were great team players whose always there if and when I needed help.
Working in a high Reliability and Engineering Laboratory demands a great deal of focus due to the fact that we worked on Engineering and Released lots. The testing methods for engineering lots may have some deviations or redlines depending on how the project engineer wanted the testing done. Because of the hierarchy on the different kinds of lots, for example, non human use, changes/deviations cannot be made not until a change order on the document has been issued and approved. With this is being said, the tester/technician should be very careful and should an issue arise, the tester/technician should be able to address and justify the non-conformance
  more... per appropriate documentation.
For me, the most enjoyable part of this job is knowing that i made a difference in someone else's life by delivering accurate results on every part that I tested to ensure that we deliver a safe and effective product that people can trust.
Company with more focus but still not able to shake the "older" culture
IT Project Delivery Lead (Current Employee) –  ILJune 21, 2013
Abbott is a great company to work for with great benefits and a solid past of great performance. The company is built on a solid foundation of corporate and social values that have driven the company for so many years. This is the place to be if you are looking for a place to retire, not so much for those looking for a fast and/or progressive career. This also comes into play when trying to get a promotion over someone that has been at the company 15+ years as promotions are more so based on time-served rather than individual performance or qualification. As the company strives to find its place after splitting off its pharma business, one struggle has always been the older and stale work culture. There are no motivational activities or programs to provide that excitement of coming into work day in and day out. The company does not invest in its employees as much as it should through professional development programs, trainings, or mentorships. Due to losing it's major revenue driving business, the company will be forced to scale back over the next few years and will likely focus on outsourcing, especially in the IT function. There are some excellent managers in IT, but at the highest level, Corporate IT management often lacks the big picture vision or the tactical information to make the right decisions. This has led to consistently poor and irreparable relationships with the Divisional IT and business functions.
Pros
health care company, company values, pension, ceo
Cons
corporate culture, slow career progression, hq location, compensation
Loved the company, people, culture, benefits, pay, just not the job
SENIOR SPECIALTY SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 1, 2016
Great company. Of course, management skills vary and as companies are acquired and added to their portfolio the culture changes.

I came from Solvay Pharmaceuticals, which was a fantastic family owned company and culture. That culture was something Abbott really wanted to see more of in their own culture. Unfortunately blending cultures, philosophies, operations and employee directives is difficult, and employees are left trying to decide which ones to follow to remain employed in pharmaceutical sales. How to log your calls seems to be a tightrope act, for example. Conflicting expectations and directives forced you to "play games" as a rep, and it was a very uncomfortable position to be put in.

Other than that, the rep job is a difficult one. You are force ranked against your teammates for bonus compensation, and conditions vary widely across the country. This helps the organization control their bonus payouts, but not motivating for a sales force at all. Also, industry regulations have made this job incredibly difficult; having meaningful interactions with physicians is rare, however they are expected every 2 weeks. Until pharma companies "get real" about the conditions the reps face and adjust the expectations accordingly, this will be a job that tests your integrity every day. And, you will fail that integrity test if you want to remain employed.
Pros
benefits, company, people, pay, culture
Cons
compensation structure, industry pressure, unrealistic expectations
Customer service advocate helping assist customers and internal co-workers
Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest ILJune 12, 2013
I do multiple tasks to assist customers, I take incoming phone calls and emails to assist customers and internal sales reps direct. I also process electronic orders and review open order reports to provide a 97% fill rate for our customers. I also assist in meeting the goal of answering 95% calls within 60 seconds and have one of the highest interactions per day out of all my co-workers. I am a fast learner and supervisors and managers give me additional tasks to meet close deadlines.
I work really well with my co-workers and get along very well with them. The management has made the job really difficult because rules and job tasks are changed daily to try and make processes better for the customers. However with each change the customers are effected and in the end the patients are not receiving the product they need leaving the hospitals in a bind to borrow or figure something out in the mean time. Finally the hardest part is I'm not feeling challenged everyday, it's the same work each and every day and I am not able to show my many talents.
I enjoy working with our customers and sales reps and learning the new products we carry and what they are used for. I also enjoy learning new things to be able to assist the customers in the highest possible customer service possible.
Pros
the pay range and the benefits, helping the customers and patients in the end
Cons
management makes the job really difficult and i am not given enough challenges
Poor leadership, zero work/life balance, terrible employee morale
Brand Manager, Similac Pediatric Marketing (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 5, 2015
I'm typically not a review person, but was lead to write one to inform anyone considering employment at Abbott . I was recruited to their Pediatric Nutrition Division after a successful career in the pharmaceutical industry. Before I provide details on my experience, let me start by saying that in this division alone, nearly ten employees from Marketing and Market Research left to pursue other opportunities, in just one year (2014).

Needless to say, the role and culture did not meet my expectations. Leadership manages by fear and lacks strategic direction, there are an unnecessary level of approvals needed AND decisions are not made at appropriate levels in the organization, processes are inefficient and outdated, there is ZERO work life balance (60+ hours are the norm and working on evenings/weekends is encouraged/rewarded), employee morale is terrible. Lastly, there isn't really a prioritization of responsibilities, but more of a "do everything" approach.

One thing I learned is how competitive the consumer packaged good industry is. I also fine-tuned skills for developing an iPad App. The hardest part of the job is getting things done due to the countless approvals needed. The most enjoyable part was working with select people on my team.
Pros
prestige of company's name, compensation, cafeteria subsidy, some people
Cons
leadership, layers of approval, inefficient processes, work/life balance, employee morale
Management wasn't aware of what was going on.
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 7, 2013
• Provide on demand front line field service support to Abbott Architect customers.
• Install and verify proper operation of instrument systems in a customer diagnostic laboratory setting.
• Perform scheduled preventative maintenance interventions that include calibration, hardware or software upgrades, and verify work completed.
• Become a technical subject matter expert on current and new instrument products.
• Troubleshoot instrument system problems through telephone support, log file reading, or on-site client visitations.
• Maintain a repair parts inventory and provide input on parts usage related to failures.
• Actively participating in area or worldwide conference calls, service summits, expert meetings and workshops.
• Providing back-up service support outside of assigned territory as needed.
• Provide technical support at Abbott trade shows, sales demonstrations, and customer sites.
• Maintaining and managing your own spare parts field service inventory kits according to defined procedures and service recommendations.
• Create and maintain service records and documents, using a call management system.
• Provide feedback and communication to enhance technical service documents and bulletins that will be used by other field service personnel.
• Provide communication updates to the service manager and other service staff colleagues
Direct Sales Representative working in a call center responsible for advising the inbound consumers calls while selling sports supplements.
Direct Sales Representative and Fitness Advisor (Former Employee) –  Golden, CONovember 12, 2013
A typical day at EAS would involve advising inbound customers on exercise, nutrition, and the large array of products that could help them reach their goals. Often times, customers would compare our products to our competition’s pricing, like GNC. I developed a great sense of product differentiation, matching and beating various price points, and the art of up-selling, and educating our clients to meet their particular needs.

EAS management was great. Call center employees were continuously trained on new products, incentivized and rewarded fairly, and encouraged to grow and advance.
My co-workers were like family. We would work out together, discuss products and strategies, and hold each other accountable in both our personal and career goals.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping regular clients achieve their goals. When they won, I won. I never got tired of their enthusiasm and appreciation for the gains I was able to help them make. To this day, EAS/ Abbott Laboratories was the most rewarding job I've had.
Pros
education and importance of ongoing exercise and nutrition, free and wholesale supplements, state of the art work-out facility
Cons
i was going to school full time and going right to work at six pm until12 pm
Company OK but not a great place to work
Senior Professional Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  LouisianaMay 27, 2012
I worked for a company that Abbott purchased. Life with Boots Labs and Knoll was great. Great managers, benefits, compensation etc.
Then Abbott bought us. Since the acquisition was significant it took about a year for all the new managers to get situated. And unfortunately the one I got was NOT ready to be a DSM. And since I was older than him and the oldest in the district, I got the brunt of his insecurity. He was from HR and had friends up there, so all my concerns were ignored. Even though my sales were great he still complained about everything I did. From lunches for the doctors, to driving too slow (>75 on the interstate was too slow?). But when he accused me of selling samples ( which I wasn't and would NEVER have done) security stepped in. Once they went over my reports and checked the computer, I was informed that there was no problem. So even though it was too late for me, they also discovered some irregularities on his part and he was let go. So I can only say this, when working with Abbott, document EVERYTHING you do because you may need the documentation later.

Unfortunately, this review may reflect badly on all the members of management and HR which is not what I meant to do BUT be prepared when you turn in a resume that BIG PHARMA is a different breed all to itself.
Pros
see above
Cons
see above
Productive and Fun WorkPlace
System Integration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waukegan, ILFebruary 6, 2014
I have a bachelors in Health Science from Oakland University and a masters in Clinical Lab Science from Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and science. I started working at Abbott Laboratories as a Data Verifier straight out of school. After receiving the MT certification I moved on to the clinical research assistant position. After gaining expertise in Clinical Research, I wanted to learn more about the R&D side (testing side of the assays) then I took the role in R&D as a biologist and worked on Design verification studies on several different assays. After this I moved to the reagent cross contamination team where I helped several carryover studies. Having worked at Abbott for 4 years I have had a chance to gain expertise in both Clinical Research and R&D, at this point in my career I wanted to learn more about the inner mechanics of the instruments and also understand the customer complaint investigations a little more, so last year I joined System Integration team as a SI specialist. I had a very exciting year in the SI group, I had the opportunity to learn how to write M&D codes using CLI scripting. I got indepth training of the ARCHITECT Instruments. Helped with multiple customer complaint investigations.
Fortune 100
Varied (Former Employee) –  North Chicago, ILJuly 16, 2015
I had four positions at Abbott Labs -- Credit Assistant, Senior Credit Assistant, Credit Technician, Contract Marketing Specialist ---
Phones, phones, phones. Many calls daily, corresponding to contract implementation. Handling sales rep questions about pricing claims. Working directly with hospitals, pharmacies, group purchasing agencies, handling shortage and pricing claims; taking care of adding customers to large group contracts, adjusting prices as needed.

Management in a large corporation is slow to make changes, but when presented with information and supporting reasons, those changes do occur.

It was busy, I enjoyed the fast pace of the work environment, I enjoyed working with my coworkers, who were always there to answer questions if I had any. Building relationships with people from other departments was a critical component to my job. I was good at building those relationships. I learned that if I took the time to do a little extra work, my counterpart in the other department was more than willing to help me resolve my issues. The hardest part of the job was the volume of work cyclically.

I learned that I could take on many duties that I had not done before, but was able to not only do them, but do them well.
Pros
beautiful campus like atmosphere
An exciting organization with opportunities to grow, learn and develop business skills.
Area Sales Director, - Pharmaceutical Division (Former Employee) –  Abbott Park, ILAugust 22, 2012
While working at Abbott, I was able to move through various positions in the commercial organization of two divisions; pharmaceuticals and diagnostics. In both divisions, opportunities were extended to me to work in sales and sales management capacities, and in marketing, both customer and product management. In these positions, I learned to develop strategic product and business plans and the value of execution while being nimble to changes in the marketplace. In addition, I learned the value of helping people to succeed through coaching and feedback, both for results and career goals.

The most gratifying aspect of my positions of supervision was turning around the performance of a low performing organization and seeing the cohesiveness and pride of accomplishment come to the team. Another aspect equally gratifying was seeing the individual development occur and the personal confidence that came with that growth. Clearly, everyone benefited... the employees, the organization, and the customers.
Pros
opportunities for growth and learning
Cons
size of organization limited the ability to move quickly.
A typical day at work
Quality Engineer Tech- January (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAOctober 3, 2012
Extensive experience investigating and resolving product quality, manufacturing process, while holding various responsibilities within the Quality organization. Recent responsibilities included to work as a Project Manager, Research & Development, Document Control environment, technical service and field service. Actions designed to improve training, training cost improvement and efficiencies. main responsibilities is to deliver results, reports from Training, RFC, CAPAs, and FDNs of products related to both Quality and Operations, special project (CIP, FMEA and Infinity Project). Develops, implements, and maintains product quality plans, quality specifications, STMs, FMEAs. Identifies sources of manufacturing defects and devises methods to reduce sources of variations and eliminated causes of defects. Experience implementing process improvement and cost improvement initiatives which includes: control charting, reducing acceptance sampling, trend charting, scrap analysis, CpK analysis, and tolerance and confidence reliability calculations.
Pros
used to have good benefits
Cons
no more consideration to employees anymore
Worked at Abbott for 20 years performing many tasks
Instrument Manufacturing Lead.(working lead) (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara , CASeptember 8, 2015
A typical day at Abbott for me would be to update Management on previous days accomplishments in regards to product completions in comparison to daily production plan. On occasion reorganize personnel to meet current days goals. Complete my production responsibilities as I was a working Lead. On occasion fill in at production meetings regarding procurement of parts (eg. shortage meetings) This job was very busy and quite dynamic requiring split second decisions to meet deadlines to insure sub-assemblies are completed for next day Main assembly production. Co-workers and Management worked in a highly collaborative and communicative environment with the goal being meeting customers expectations.
Hardest part of job was adapting to ever changing priorities which was also very enjoyable when done successfully. Having been heavily relied upon for input when production floor was reorganized I had a high degree of knowledge regarding work flow and throughput capacity.
Pros
We always celebrated our accomplishments
Cons
Our jobs were sent overseas not really a con but unfortuanate
Interesting and Challenging job
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 12, 2014
I started in a new department that was reviewing a high volume of expense data for State and Federal transparency reporting. I had a lot to understand, review and analyze to ensure we reported our expenses accurately and to the reporting standards. I have been able communicate to various departments and executive levels management. Additionally, I was the direct contact to IT on implementation of a check request database program to collective gather data to assist with reporting. I have trained over 300 employees as well as 7 members in my group on how to complete the reporting of data. I learned so much like helpful excel functions to assist my audit, to presentational skills, to IT terminology, to project management and how various departments in a Medical Device company function. I was extremely challenged with a task that was new to the company and businesses Statewide. It was so interesting to see such new reporting and facing the challenges head-on. I enjoyed working with so many employees and different departments.
Pros
working with other colleagues, challenging work duties
Cons
no management advancement
Immunology Specialist
Rheumatology Specialty Rep (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 20, 2012
I really enjoy my job and find it interesting. I have learned about the politics within in the hospital, specialty pharmacy, manged care, medicare and medicaid. I have also learned the importance and influence of each individual in the teaching institutions, whether it be the Chief, Fellowship Director, RN or MA. You never know who will be able to provide key information. I have access to 80% of the attendings and fellows in my closed institutions. I am looked at as a value added resource. I have been told I am the most reliable honest and best rep most of my docs have had. I am enthusiastic and positive and like to think out of the box. I am a total team player and utilize all other counterparts for their expertise and resources. I like my management and feel that they are good explaining expectations although, sometimes not exactly realistic. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the physicians, strategic planning and helping patients live productive lives.
Pros
highly regarded company and product, academic institutions, constant learning
Cons
managed care, medicare part d
Just the nuts and bolts of R&D and medical device manufacturing
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Temecula, CAFebruary 13, 2013
A typical day involves a lot of time on the computer, attending meetings in regards to scheduling, drafting e-mails, creating PowerPoints, tracking production and other metrics in Excel, as well as using proprietary software to monitor and report progress.
While I enjoy working for my management and with my peers, the daily tasks of the job are not exciting. The career path within the organization is slanted to engineers, I find myself in a holding pattern with little progress as written in my growth plan.
The hardest part of my job is going through the motions each day and having no real management responsibility while I have earned an MBA that the company essentially ingnores. To date, I've stayed here since I don't have a commute and it allows me plenty of time with my family, and, presumably, I'm doing a good enough job to not be terminated . . .
The most enjoyable part of my job is the people with whom I work and my boss who is fair and willing to help me succeed within the company despite the lay-offs and few oppportunities for non-engineers.
Great place to work, good benefits and opportunities for advancement
Technician (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 9, 2015
A typical day was maintaining operator logs, forms, records and supplied production data to field operators, technicians, engineers and management. I would performed Incoming Quality Inspection (IQA) and Outgoing Quality Inspection. I also combined complex or non – routine duties, involving the selection and use of procedures and/or equipment in support of medical diagnostic instrument and/or reagent development and production. I develop better communication skills and the concept of team work. Management is a part of the team and had responsibilities to the organization and the bottom line. Coworkers are the best thing about a work environment, you meet new peoples and develop lifelong relationships. The hardest part of the job sometimes was standing up to individuals, when there is a conflict between meeting product schedules’ or being in compliance. The most enjoyable part of the job is relationship you develop with individuals and the end product that you had a hand in production.
Pros
Profit shareing checks
Cons
FDA Audits
It has changed
Diagnostic Product Development (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 11, 2012
I am involved in product development in the diagnostics division. A typical day begins at 8 am and ends at 6 pm.

I have learned a lot. First keep your friends close and your enemies closer. It never used to be that way - but, the culture has changed and competitiveness can be cut-throat.

This is no place for the feint of heart. You have to fight constantly for your position.

Management makes it worse - they set up unobtainable goals, and even if you give them facts and data to state that the goals are not ahieveable - they basically infer you are lazy and taking the easy way out. It is quite frankly one of the most demoralizing places I have worked.

But, to be fair, there are some good things. Within teams (where decision rights and roles are understood), there is a lot of cameraderie and celebration of achievement. Overall though, this is a company that is losing it's identity as a scientific and engineering company, Younger employees are looking elsewhere, and those of us at retirement age can't wait to get out.
Pros
good benefits, profit sharing
Cons
no time to take vacation, low morale, unsure future.

4.2