Abbott Northwestern Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

busy but fun work place.
lead clinical pharmacist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 6, 2016
Excellent place to work, top notch facility and good work culture. Will highly recommend to any practitioner considering joining Abbott Northwestern Hospital. It will challenge you after all this is a huge campus but excellent place to work and practice.
Pros
Excellent work culture, knowledgeable staff and good management
Cons
600 bed hospital so stress level can be unhealthy sometimes. be prepared for a challenge.
Fast paced, High volume department providing multiple testing modalities for ANW inpatients and outpatients of the Minneapolis Heart Institute Clinic.
Cardiovascular Diagnostic Services RN (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 10, 2016
No two days are ever the same, especially when you rotate through working in up to 8 different testing modalities. I have learned an incredible amount in this position! Management does some things well and has areas to improve as well. Specifically, it depends of which level of management you are talking about. Co-workers are generally quite a nice, hard-working, and helpful bunch. They are good people. Hardest part of the job is trying to meet the high demand of the nursing staff with limited space and limited staff. Most enjoyable part of the job is easing the worry of the patients and educating them so they understand the testing, etc. I love to see that "Ah-ha!" moment or when a patient is relieved after a test is over and sees that indeed the procedure was easier than they expected.
Quality patient care, compassionate nurses and amazing benefits.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 9, 2016
Hard to come across a nurse who is not knowledgeable and love what they do. Work with multiple interdisciplinary teams. The only downfall is the lack of communication with management and some medical providers. Its a big hospital what do you expect, nothing can be perfect.
Pros
On campus food options, great pension, 401K, top notch medical and dental benefits, PTO, short-term and long-term diability, contract employement positions
Cons
Communication between providers and nurses, floating (as needed-shared amongst all staff and take turns)
Very fun palce to work, has a pool,gym and good food.
Transport Aide (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 19, 2012
Love working here. You meet so many new and different people everyday. Being a Transport aide allowed me to move around the entire campus, so I didnt have to workout. Walking for 8+ hours 5 days a week, I rarely got a chance to see the gym within Abbott. The breakrooms were comfortable places to relax, socialize with co-workers,watch tv ect. My co-workers were helpful and fun. I hated going to the morgue though, never got use to that.
Pros
health benefits, diverse atmosphere, education and career advancement
Cons
mandatory overtime
You have to serve your time as "the new kid on the block"
staff RN (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 28, 2013
Number of service in the organizations makes all the difference. Some nurses with XX amount of service believe they own the place. Nursing staff are mean to new staff. You don't matter until you have a few years under your belt in the organization otherwise everything is your fault or you are not good enough. Your only break is when someone new comes along then you are left alone and they move to pick on the next new person. Good luck.
Pros
the medical benefits
Cons
parking is too far from the main building. bring your walking shoes along
bad management
Linen aid (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 21, 2015
management is not for the employees they lack the manage skills to help employees to do there jobs without harassing them daily.
Pros
abbott is a wonderful play to work
Cons
abbott just has bad management
Crowded work space but everyone worked well together
Cardiac Analysis Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 8, 2015
We mainly self managed, everyone knew their job responsibilities. I worked the 12 hour weekend shift every other weekend. I would come in and begin by analyzing all the patients being monitored, then I would get report from night shift. We would also take phone calls for telephonic patients who had devices that would let them send significant events over the telephone to a computer for us to analyze and interpret and report. We would be responsible for connecting new patients with in the hospital when a physician felt they needed cardiac monitoring.
The job responsibilities were pretty well distributed and shared with managing ourselves. The responsibility of not doing our job correctly and understanding the urgency of patients needs were serious.
Pros
Worked every other weekend; home with kids during week.
Cons
12 hour shifts
mental health unit not fun
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 1, 2015
Management sucks. Employees are not friendly, Training was horrible. I do not like working there. I love the patients though, they are the reason why I still work there.
Pros
parking ramp, McDonald's available
Cons
expensive food
productive fun workplace
Patient Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 7, 2012
great co-workers and career advancement oppurtunites, ejoyable with lots of skills gained and used in any position. People oriented
Pros
benefits, pay, people, tuition help
Cons
health care industry
Productive and fun place to work and learn they have many nice and friendly nurses,doctors,and nursing assistant
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 25, 2011
Working at Abbott they have many great opportunities and each and every job title they offer
Pros
different shifts, stations, people, and clinics
Cons
paid pto, vacations, 401k, retirement pentions, discounts, and much more
Flexible job with career advancement opportunities
Surgical scheduler (Former Employee) –  Office buildingFebruary 24, 2012
Abbott Northwestern Hospital is an employer I would recommend to anyone searching for flexibility, great benefits and supportive staff. This particular hospital is technologically advanced and inviting to new ideas.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 28, 2015
There was a lot of different managers at this job to answer to for this specific position. This made it hard to communicate when something was confusing or needed to be done.
Had a wonderfull experience at the cardiac unit ,meet many wonderfull people.
Operations Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 31, 2015
Excellent place to work ,many things to learn and a wonderful environment .Having a very good experience . Also provided translation between patient s and Doctors !!
Great place to start after graduating from High Tech.
Health Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 15, 2014
This was my first job after going to school for Health Unit Coordinating. A typical evening at work would include the clerical aspects of a patient's hospital stay. I learned more about chemo therapy as I worked on the oncology unit. Management was pretty often gone or about to leave for the day as I was getting there so I guess they were okay. The charge nurses were excellent to work with! My co-workers were great at Abbott! The hardest part I guess would be dealing with end stage of life as we got to know the patients on a personal level for the most part and it was hard to see them go.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the evening shift people I worked with. Some were a little quirky, but that's what made them great to be around!
Pros
great co-workers!
Cons
evening shift.
Fun Place to Work
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 14, 2012
I regret leaving the company - till this day have not found a loyal family and dedicated employees as my former co-workers and friends at Waterous. Waterous hired me with limited skills and promoted within. Now the company has new management which has changed the company's culture, although some may share their differences and dislikes with Waterous, I have not change my opinion of this company and its reputation!
Pros
supportative staff, management and co-workers
Cons
pay below guidelines
Awesome Volunteer Position
Main Information Desk Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 24, 2015
Abbott is a awesome place to volunteer, the staff and volunteer department are all very nice people and they are there to support you in every move or desire to move up
Very unorganized
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 27, 2015
They lacked very common protocol to make working there easier, safer, and more enjoyable. Also lacked technology of other hospitals.
overall rating is three and a half
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 20, 2014
A typical day at work was busy and fun. What I learned about Abbot is you have to be very careful when preparing patients meals. The management was professional also the co-workers were very team orientated. The hardest part of my job was making sure I did not make a mistake with the patients orders. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to support the patients needs.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 2, 2014
The hospital was very productive place to work with excellent co-workers and lots of diversity, also most enjoyable part of the job was seeing people that you grew up with coming into the hospital, and being able to assisant them find love ones.
Pros
employee lunchs/ and tea party/ employee fitness center
Cons
bake sales/flu shots
Excellence and Cutting Edge
Certified Surgical Technologist & First Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 26, 2014
Excellent Patient Care
Latest Technology
Credentialed Employees
Teamwork Amongst Co-workers
Support Education
A lot of "On-Call" hours
Great Employee Recognition
Pros
promotes excellence, supports continuing education, advancement
Cons
a lot of call and shift work

Abbott Northwestern Hospital Reviews by Location