Abengoa Employee Reviews in United States

Great people. Horrible management.
maintenance (Current Employee) –  Hinkley, CADecember 30, 2015
No job security, management hides behind paperwork. Operations crew and Maintenance crew continually bad mouth each other.
Pros
meet some good people
Cons
bad people out weigh the good people
stay away
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, INNovember 22, 2015
Without a doubt the worst company I have ever worked for. There is no limit to the number of hours you are expected to work. I have personally worked a 20 hour day more than once. No advancement. Poor management. Pay is on the low side.
Pros
Cons
long work hours, poor management
Very intersting work and industry
Business Development (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield, MONovember 4, 2015
This is a great place if your are starting your career. However, not great advancement opportunities. It has good company culture and the work itself is very interesting.
great opportunities, poor corporate management
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, CODecember 2, 2015
Great learning and growth opportunities. Pay was inequitable. Work-life balance was mythical.
Parent company was unethical, managed poorly, and inefficient, and is now suffering the consequences.
Very exciting and interesting projects
Civil Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MODecember 2, 2015
I liked to work on renewable energy projects that contributed the future of the earth's resources, learned a lot about unconventional projects
Pros
traveling to different cities and countries
Cons
career advancement
Good Company
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 28, 2016
It was a good company to work for but they went bankrupt and did not help out all the employees once everyone was laid off. It was a sad day to see all the people lose their jobs right after Thanksgiving without warning.
Engineer
Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COSeptember 13, 2015
Great to work on interesting projects and advanced technology, but management is Spanish and really doesn't understand that US employees have standards and won't put up with too much B.S.
Stressful
H&S Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gila Bend, AZJanuary 6, 2016
This job will you require to be on your toes 24/7, staff is friendly and works well with everyone. I enjoyed working closely with facilities and operations on getting issues resolved.
Productive workplace
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 18, 2015
Responsibilities included; maintaining related activities for processing payment and invoice queries for 50+ vendors
Excellent work schedule...Thats about it.
Maintenance Tech (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, INJuly 1, 2012
I work in maintenance and I will only rate my department. Management is little to non existent. Can not steal a part let alone buy one to fix anything the correct way. There is no structure to the group. No way to move up in the company without someone leaving or getting fired. Very restrictive, we are not allowed to think on our own and do the jobs that we have been hired to do. Micro-management at its best. Wage is mediocre at best but because things are not maintained or repaired with the correct parts there is a lot of opportunity for over time. If you do not mind spending 60+ hours a week working to make 50-60K a year.
Pros
8 on 6 off work schedule is the only good thing.
Cons
cons are listed below
Severely underpaid
Control Room Operator (Current Employee) –  Hinkley, CaliforniaJuly 6, 2015
Underpaid and underappreciated. Spanish company operating in the States with a Spanish mentality. Good people work there since alot of other plants are closing in the area.
Pros
4 on, 4 off schedule
Cons
Bad management, doesn't take care of employees
Productive and informative place to work.
Energy Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, INApril 6, 2012
Great place to work. Work schedule is excellent 12 hour shifts with every other weekend off. Good benifits. Manage Energy Center Daily Operations consist of monitoring boilers, air compressors, reverse osmosis units, water chillers, cooling tower, various tank levels and contious water sampling to ensure all EPA guidelines are within specified ranges. Management team very informative and helpful. Abengoa is a very team oriented work enviroment. Nothing difficult some repetitive task. Helping co-workers.
Pros
every other weekend off, rotating 12 hour shifts, continous training.
Cons
very hazardous chemicals proper ppe is furnished.
Good onsite management team.
Control Room Operator (Current Employee) –  Hinkley, CADecember 12, 2014
Decent place to work. Great 4 on 4 off 12hr day schedule for Operators. Money is fair, no bonus's. Sr. management is in Spain (Spain based company)...intentions and direction of future is a unclear.
Pros
4 on 4 off schedule
Cons
not much money to be made, compensation and recognition for your value to the company is overlooked.
Good experience in how not to run a company
Water Treatment Operator (Current Employee) –  Gila Bend, AZSeptember 29, 2014
Abengoa treats employees poorly. They will tell you what you want to hear and never follow through. The harder you work the less chance for advancement is offered. They do not pay according to you job responsibilities if you ask for more they make up excuses why they can't pay more. The overall workforce is great but once you go towards management things start going south.
stay away especially from madison il plant
operator (Current Employee) –  madision ilJanuary 7, 2013
work you like a dog. conveys that need fix are ignored. shoveling should be in job description. Upper management is a friggin joke. Someone is going to get killed there, they preach safety all day the put you life at risk. Plant manager, HR manager, Maintenance manager, Lab manager all came over from same company. Current employees who applied were passed over for positions, thus this created a good ol boy culture. It all started when they hired the current plant manager. Please stay away
Pros
no pros
Cons
management
Horrible Management and no room for advancement
Operator (Current Employee) –  Madison, IllinoisJune 2, 2012
Been there since day 1. Worst job I ever had, no room for advancement unless your a chemical engineer. Can't wait to leave. Plant manager is clueless and HR is a nightmare. Do not come here unless your despirate.
Cons
benefits, pay, hours, and management
good place to work for students
Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, COMay 14, 2015
good to work as a student, easy going on schedule and understand that school comes first. could pay a little better and offer more benefits
Global Sustainable Company
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOApril 16, 2015
I enjoyed working tor Abengoa.
Global Sustainable company, very diverse.
Challenging internal systems.
Challenging payment terms.
Spanish based.
Fast paced.
Pros
Cons
Internal Systems
Very sterile work environment. Not a lot of people walking around with smiles.
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MOJune 7, 2012
Everyone pretty much keeps to themselves and does their job. The current management needs improvement. Seems like they lead through fear. I think the company could be a good one to work for and I think they would get more out of their employees if they made some managerial adjustments to help create a more interactive, fun, work atmosphere. After a week, I was dreading going in to work. I've never had any issues fitting in to a work environment until I started to work at Abengoa.
Pros
clean, professional work environment
Cons
little to no interaction with employees/management, didn't feel good about going in each morning.
Flexible hours and good benefits, but it stops there
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chesterfield MOJuly 11, 2014
As a current employee, I can honestly say that myself and a few other co-workers are terribly unhappy with this company. It is a very sterile unfriendly work environment.

All I can say is, the benefits and flexible work schedule is the best part of the company.

Abeinsa Business Development is ran less efficient than a government agency.

There is no hope for a future for this company. During hiring negotiations and when you are hired, you are promised a song and dance, once you start working everything changes quickly. It's very much like a bait and switch. There is something to be said when only 7 out of 100 employees have been there longer than 15 years and everyone else has been there 5 years or less; it is a very rapid turn over establishment.

Current management runs the place through fear and they do not care about their employees; they care about the not so good bottom line. There is no interaction between management and lower employees, and if you dare to try to extend the olive branch, you will be shunned. Plus, they expect you to work 12 hours every day; I am shocked no one has turned them over to the Labor Standards Board for review.

There is no work culture, its the Spaniard way or the highway.

If you are an American and you are okay with being stuck at entry level or middle management for the rest of your life, then this is the company for you. Smart driven people will not succeed in this company due to smug Spaniards who think they are smarter and better than you. God forbid if you ever have to point out a Spaniards mistake, they will either never acknowledge
  more... their mistake was made or will try to find a mistake you made just to rub it in your face. And, if you do make a mistake, they will bring it up and hold it over your head forever. If you are an American and work your tail off, the best raise you will get is between 5-12%, while Spaniards will receive 15-20% at the same job no matter how they have performed during the year. Also, if you have any type of higher education past your Bachelors degree, the company will not compensate you for that, so don't waste your time there.

I have never dreaded going into work, until I worked for this company. I am quickly looking for a new job, hopefully with ABD on my resume, I won't be held back from other engineering companies in the St Louis area due to our terrible reputation throughout the community.
Pros
flex hours and benefits
Cons
current management