Abercrombie & Fitch Employee Reviews

Found 2,384 reviews matching the search
Family-oriented workplace with an awesome campus
Global Procurement Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  New Albany, OHFebruary 15, 2017
A&F is a very unique place to work. The headquarters is set on over 200 wooded acres and the grounds have a "camp-like" feel. During my eight + years at A&F I felt like I was predominately surrounded by high performers. Everyone really collaborates to "make it happen." It can be a stressful place to work at times but A&F is great at celebrating success and recognizing associates for great performance at all levels. Work/life balance, career advancement opportunities and top-down communication continue to be points of concern that the company is actively working to address.
Pros
Family-oriented activities, great culture.
Cons
Annual lay-offs, lack of career advancement opportunities.
Most of the employeees got along with each other but there were ups and downs with the management.
Brand rep (Current Employee) –  Simpsonville, KYDecember 30, 2016
They work very well with your schedule so its up to you how much or how often you allow them to work you, the longer your there the more hours you can get. Through the times I've been there they have employment rate up and down often as well as times with lots of management then back to one or two managers. Register is easy to learn and you catch on quickly once put on register during rush hours. if your wanting to make a lot of money this isn't the place because you never get a raise no matter how long your here and it will never change.
Pros
really good employee discount
Cons
management and pay
Great place to start a retail career
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 24, 2016
Great beginning for someone getting into retail. Great focuses on operations, and merchandising. The focus on recruiting talent and training was a great introduction to team building.

Learned great execution and standards or retail. Learned talent is all you have to be successful. Great basic understanding of what it takes to make a retail store successful.

Management was off putting. Very conceited and not supportive. Was a culture of burn and turn. turn over was very high. Because of this it left plenty of opportunities for advancement.

Best part of the job was selecting everyone to be on your team. Then being responsible for their success. With little to no previous retail experience. When they "got it" and succeeded it was very rewarding.
Pros
Basic Training
Not a bad first job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAJanuary 11, 2017
Great first job for someone coming right out of college. Every district is different because each district manager runs their stores differently. There is no work-life balance and you better like to suck up to your boss and his/her boss. Advancement is unlikely, if you are lucky you may get promoted to store manager, but then you would get locked in at that position. Those people who hope to get into home-office are completely out of luck, they don't promote to Columbus from the stores. Instead, they bring in outside hires, which creates a huge disconnect between home-office and the stores. This creates a big problem when it comes to budgeted hours and other operational information. The paid-time-off days are nice, but if you work at a high volume store, there is a good chance you won't be able to use those days before they reset. The associates and other managers make this job somewhat worth it. Management from the District Manager all the way to home-office is flawed, and thats how you can tell that this company won't be around for much longer. If you are applying to this company at least be sure to apply to a Hollister store. Hollister is does better business and is managed more realistically.
Better Off Applying Somewhere Else
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHJanuary 7, 2017
I'm a former store manager of this company, and to be honest you're better off finding a different company to work for if retail is what you're looking for. This company is one of the lowest paying companies to work for, you could become an MIT for any other company and you'll be paid twice as much, easily. The work/life balance is horrible, you're guaranteed to work more than 40 hours a week, which means you will never have a life outside of work. The upper management is not motivating whatsoever, they constantly tell you what you're doing wrong and rarely give you any good feedback. I will never work for this company again.
Cons
No work/life balance, horrible upper management, extremely underpaid
Great place to work with a fun environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wellington, FLJanuary 4, 2017
Management was great with understanding environment. Being able to deal with customers who are not very friendly, as well as with customers who have impairments or do not speak clear english. Co-workers who have been there for a while are very helpful and work hard. I learned how to deal with very many different customers, give good customer service, relate more to the customer to better understand their likes and dislikes as well as knowing what they are looking for and for who. Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and getting to know them and where they are from if they are out of the country. I enjoyed being able to communicate in a friendly environment.
It was quite boring
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJanuary 30, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of moving a stack of clothes from one side of the shelf to the other and listening to costumers complain to me about the price of the clothes.
I learned how to have even better costumer service.
I genuinely liked management I thought they did their job well.
I enjoyed workplace culture because I had friendships with my colleagues.
The hardest part of my job was just the mindless work I had to for hours, all I had to do was move clothes from one end of the store to the other.
The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work with my friends and selling clothes to people who loved the pieces they purchased.
Could be fun at times, but the hours are overall awful.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FL 33193February 7, 2017
if you're not used to the retail working culture, it's very fast paced and the holidays are the worst. weekends are the busiest so as a manager, it's hard to get a day off at those days. there is also no communication with the management team and everyone is in it for themselves. You have to wear many hats that are not in your job description a lot of times and usually understaffed.
Pros
nothing
Cons
irrgeular hours, disgruntled employees and customers, understaffed
Abercrombie
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 16, 2016
Part time, you'll get 20 hours a week max. Usually shifts are 4-6 hours. Management was good when I was there. Flexible hours helped with school.
Pros
Mall discount on food, access to clearance before others
Cons
No hours, worked there two years and never got a raise
Fast pace operational and leadership development
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Albany, OH 43054November 1, 2016
My career with A&F initially was great. I developed many key business, communication, and leadership skills. The management at the time went through radical changes, thus creating confusion with different processes. Although there were more cons than pros working for this company. I was able to extract the additional skills needed to begin my MBA studies. Most enjoyable part of the job is the ability to relocate.
Pros
Flexibility in Schedule
Cons
Inconsistency with management/high turnover

Want to know more about Abercrombie & Fitch?

Ask a question
Decent place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 24, 2017
-assist customers, making sure the store up to par, I did whatever my manager wanted me to do.
-learned more customer service experience.
-management was a little unfair I think they were a little racist.
-workplace culture was okay.
-hardest part was dealing with rude customers which I learned to handle it.
-interacting with great customers.
Pros
meeting great employees
Cons
dealing with rude customers
Constantly busy with a lot to do within a shift
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 10, 2017
A typical day at work for me consisted of: early rushes, constant "hellos" and very messy displays. I would often tend to fixing the displays as quickly as possible in between rushes. The most enjoyable part of my job was offering my help to the customers who needed it.
Cons
short breaks, no benefits, very little hours given, favoritism between co-workers and management
Modern work lifestyle with great culture and values
Sr. Production Coordinator - Personal Care (Current Employee) –  New Albany, OHJanuary 2, 2017
Recommend coming here straight out of college. They are great at training and including new recruits into the company. There is a wide range of job opportunities and advancement is fostered. The hours are long, but you will learn a lot and meet great, intelligent people along the way.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Friendly Workers but that's about it
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 9, 2016
A&F in Ala Moana is one of the most visited retail stores throughout the mall and is rarely not busy.

As a Tier 1 store, it would be thought that the store would be run by professionals, but that is not the case. Most, if not all, of the managers are barely adults, edging more towards the maturity of teenagers whenever something goes wrong. Sometimes I feel like I am back in high school whenever I come into work; it was funny at first, but now the fact that I deal with this every time I come in is ridiculous. The managers obviously have their favorites workers and that takes away from the fact that we are all supposed to be equal.

The compensation used to be above minimum wage but when the state changed its minimum wage, ironically, to match the A&F wage, the higher up management did nothing; unbelievable.

But hey, at least my co workers are all nice and easy to get along with.
Pros
Nice Co Workers
Cons
Pretty Much Everything
Was Okay
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJune 10, 2016
a typical day was swiping your card into the system to clock in, then go straight to work and barely any talking happened. I learned how to be directly involved in inventory, customer service, and transactions. The management was very helpful and understanding, nothing to complain about. This job wasn't too difficult in all honesty and the most enjoyable part of it was when you got to do your work and talk with the co-workers at the same time.
Pros
Work-life balance, Culture
Cons
Short Breaks, No advancement, Pay
Fun, friendly work environment but long hours and little consistency
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 27, 2016
This is a retail management position so everyday consisted of opening/closing the store, money management, making sure customers are happy, assessing business metrics and daily trends, preventing shoplifting, training associates and holding them accountable. I was able to learn basic management skills as well as how to successfully run a multi-million dollar business. So the experience was well worth adding to my resume. My supervisor was based in Texas and I worked in Oklahoma, so I only saw him about once a month. We communicated over the phone everyday which made my performance-based feedback objective and limited. One goal I had running this business was to create a fun and enjoyable work environment for all employees, which contributed to an overall positive moral at work. I thoroughly enjoyed working with every single person at the job. The hardest parts of the job were the long hours and the inconsistencies in operations from project to project delivered by the home office. The amount of shoplifting in the mall was pretty high and preventing it seemed to consumer my day sometimes. Although, everyday was enjoyable due to the people I worked with and the basics of the job were not too hard to grasp.
Pros
Benefits, friendly people, easy to learn the job
Cons
Retail hours, operational inconsistencies, shoplifting
A fun environment with a lot of learning experience
Brand Representative/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLOctober 4, 2016
A fun environment to work in. A good starting job for those who are still in High School and in the beginning of college.
It has thought me how to better care for customers.
The only hard part is trying to locate the items for the customers and the items not being available anywhere.
Pros
fun, a lot of free time during the off seasons
Cons
no advancement unless you have a Bachellors and there are no compensations
Average retail job
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Monterey Park, CAJanuary 27, 2017
Typical day involved making sure store was presentable and customers were satisfied. Most enjoyable part of the job was that it was easy while the hardest part was that they had terrible management.
Pros
Casual dress code
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits, not so flexible schedule
Young and Friendly
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2017
Young and friendly culture. Everybody very professional and proactive.

Good salary compensation and full benefits.
Work team and a lot activities.

Young culture.
Fun environment, diverse staff, set schedule
Asistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJanuary 30, 2017
NICE, smart employees Collaboration and Face to Face communication is part of the culture. Employees genuinely care about the success of the company and strive to make it a better place every day.
Pros
Health benefits, perks via domestic website, incentives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Abercrombie & Fitch. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9