ABF Freight System, Inc

ABF Freight System, Inc United States Employee Reviews

could be better
supervisor (Former Employee), DCOctober 16, 2014
Pros: pay...days off
Cons: work days off for free, environment
...forget about promotions..unless you know someone higher up....managers always right,supervisors always wrong.Managers tell you to be kinder and tell the work force how good of a job they are doing,but dont treat the supervisors that way.........good pay,good schedule,everybody stabs each other in the back and throws each other under the bus.best part of your day is going home. find a non-union carrier where you will have some power over what employees get away with.
Nice company
Data Input Specialist (Current Employee), Dayton, OHJune 2, 2014
Enjoy working here. I wish I could transfer with this company to Florida. I have been in the transportation industry since I was 16 years old and I really love the trucking industry.
Overall good company,Room for improvement.
Driver (Current Employee), Baltimore, MdJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: good pay excellent union benefits.
Cons: had to take 7% pay cut and lost 1 week vacation, and i do believe their going to be coming for more.
Union company so everything is based on seniority,First couple years are rough,So expect to working the dock a lot for the first year.Due to ABF being a union company their employee expenses are higher so they must do things nonunion companys don't do such as: Inside Deliveries Room of choice,Assembly of exercise equipment weighting up to 400lbs its a 2 man delivery I've even had 2 other drivers helping me before,It is the worst part of the job.
great opportunity
driver (casual) (Former Employee), Houston, TxNovember 11, 2013
Pros: pay, flexibility
Cons: good ole boy system
Good days wk, good pay. Real good company to work for.Enjoyed working for the company
very fun work environment, but very hard work
Dock Worker (Former Employee), Albuquerque NMOctober 25, 2013
Pros: substantial earning potential
Cons: strict union shop, very strict seniority ladders
The work days are long, you are often expected and REQUIRED to work 2 hours over and sometimes even more. which makes for 12 hour days. Some guys put in 16 hour days. Managment is pretty lenient with overtime, so you can basically work as much as you want. The hardest part of the job is keeping up the numbers and keeping management happy, you will start on the docks as a casual, so you will need to prove yourself. If you don't, they will not call you back.
I got along well with most of the employees, some however were difficult.

I believe the best job to have at ABF is an Over the Road driver.
Nashville , TN good ol boy system
driver (Former Employee), Nashville TNAugust 20, 2013
Pros: wages
Cons: if your black its hard to get the job.
In Nashville TN ABF makes it hard for Black drivers to get employed. If you miss one thing on your app they WONT hire you. I have have a flawless driving record with all endorsements and they wouldn't hire me because I forgot to put a job on my work history. I've talked to 3 white guys that done the same thing but got the job.When is America going to get over it.Sorry I'm black but thank GOD for making me eho I am.
Stable but Stressful
Outbound Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), West Chester, OHJune 28, 2013
Pros: compenstation
Cons: poor advancement and long hours
Great Compensation, but it takes a toll of family life. Great Opportunity for someone right out of college with no outside obligations. If you can relocate, you'll have more opportunity. It is a union workforce, so you must be able to deal with those circumstances.
Productive busy place to work.
Dock Worker (Former Employee), Dayton, OHMarch 31, 2013
This job was one of my best. I was always busy and got along with all my co-workers.
great transportation training.
Inside Sales Account Representative (Former Employee), Jacksonville,FLNovember 13, 2012
Inside sales and customer service managing 350 accounts.
Great company to work for. Sales center in Jacksonville, FL relocated to Corp office in Fort Smith,AR.
Excellent place to work
Sales Account Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FL and Atlanta, GAOctober 19, 2012
Pros: relationship building with customers
ABF Freight System is a quality carrier. I worked for them for 13 years and would still be there if I didn't have to relocate. Superior training in all aspects of LTL, Truckload, International, Supply Chain, Expedited, etc.
Intense, demanding but good culture
Regional Vice President Sales (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 18, 2012
Pros: location
Need to me a multitasker! Good training. Demands are high on lower and middle management. People are great to work with.
Inconsistent Operation
FLEET MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), North Little Rock, ARMay 4, 2012
Pros: good beneifits
Cons: poor managment practices
The overall typical day at work there was good. Management has a major problem working with their union employees. They take the "Me against Them Approach" every day. Teamwork is not in the vocabulary. It is like working in a place where the less you know the better off you will be. Let's just say a very inefficient business operations when it comes to their employees. Management approach stimulates grievance filing by employees. The co-workers in general are very good to work around. There are a few workers taking advantage of the situation. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to say its Friday.